Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Win XP Question

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

C4JuN

C4JuN
  • Members
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:popcycles.........tofu..........gardening...............changing diapers..........sniffin lil boys bike seats
Alright.......

I just setup my 3rd pc for my network/LAN. cept I have a issue with my XP.

I have a legit Copy of XP Pro Service pack 2.... I have it installed on 2 of my pc's no problem.....cept on the 3rd I jsut put together......when I try to activate it it says I have exceeded the limit of the key!?!?!?! I have only used the cd key twice... once on this pc and once on the 2nd................. Will I have to purchase a new cd key jsut to get my 3rd pc setup???

I know I could have asked this elsewhere online but I figure I give yall's guru's a chance to help me out...

Thanks in advance...
"Do or do not......there is no try!!"

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
well, a single XP disc is only gives u a license for 1 single computer!

yes, ull need to buy another

RaiDer

RaiDer
  • Members
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Probably something to do with W33d.
You only have a certain limit to the number of PC's you can install a copy of Windows onto 2/3/5 w/e, looks like you've exceeded yours. Your key may now be invalid, it may fail when you come to use it again on one of the other two PC's.

I've had XP on two machines and, Vista on three, I didn't push it any further.

C4JuN

C4JuN
  • Members
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:popcycles.........tofu..........gardening...............changing diapers..........sniffin lil boys bike seats
QUOTE (RaiDer @ Mar 15 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You only have a certain limit to the number of PC's you can install a copy of Windows onto 2/3/5 w/e, looks like you've exceeded yours. Your key may now be invalid, it may fail when you come to use it again on one of the other two PC's.

I've had XP on two machines and, Vista on three, I didn't push it any further.

I jsut read on another forum that there is no limit it to it unless I try doing it twice within a 120 day period and I may jsut have to call them to activate it over the phone ?!?! How true is this Im not sure..........but I may jsut call them just to see ..

Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP Professional ------- so it says on the cover of the case.....

RaiDer

RaiDer
  • Members
  • 2,307 posts
QUOTE (C4JuN @ Mar 15 2008, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I jsut read on another forum that there is no limit it to it unless I try doing it twice within a 120 day period and I may jsut have to call them to activate it over the phone ?!?! How true is this Im not sure..........but I may jsut call them just to see ..

Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP Professional ------- so it says on the cover of the case.....

Thats BS tbh, there is a limit. As for calling up MS, it's something you do when you reinstall say an OEM copy due to hardware failure, hardware replacement w/e. When you've used that copy on the same machine more than X amount of times. You could try and ring them tho, if you do you'll have to make up some BS. Because they ask questions.

If they ask, tell them your motherboard died, you've had it replaced with a slightly different model, now when you try to activate it fails. When they ask how many PC's the copy is installed on say, just one. If you say 2/3, they will tell you that you need to buy separate copies for each machine.

It may turn to shit during the call most likely, with it already having two active installations currently in use. Whether they're aware of that and can check that during the call, I'm not sure.

The only way I'm aware of that allows you to use the same copy of Windows on more than one PC, is with a Volume License.

C4JuN

C4JuN
  • Members
  • 67 posts
Makes perfect sense................. Thanks for the help!!

I reckon It might not be smart to find a bootleg cd key round the net icon_razz.gif

And really I would much rather use that Hardrive its on as a slave for the 2nd pc and the 2nd pc is what I mainly use to download on and just forward the files thru the network to my main rig............I guess there is no way to work it around to setup as the slave without xp being activated first... and Im sure going back to 98 SE wouldnt work as well........

Thanks again

Love Duckie

Love Duckie
  • GA Private
  • 2,448 posts
  • xfire:1337lucz0r
  • Gamer Army ID:2256
As for calling MS, you don't actually have to talk to a single person. Infact you can completely blag it if you need to activate it.

What happens is, an automated system comes on and asks you for installer ID that is given to you in the activation window. Put that into the phone.. and when it asks questions like "Have you used this CD on another computer before?" Answer no by pressing the key necessary to do so.

Etc.

I've done this before and completely got away with it. That automation system is a right joke.

DarkKitchen

DarkKitchen
  • Members
  • 1,894 posts
QUOTE (Love Duckie @ Mar 17 2008, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've done this before and completely got away with it. That automation system is a right joke.

Whenever I have to go through that thing i feel like throwing my phone through the wall

AZN_L473ncy

AZN_L473ncy
  • Members
  • 612 posts
I think I have an extra XP Pro key lying around somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up. Chances are I threw it out or lost it somewhere in my room. But I'll try to dig it up.

TheBlackOut

TheBlackOut
  • GA Private
  • 4,612 posts
  • xfire:theblackout92
  • Steam ID:highbuzz
  • Gamer Army ID:1316
QUOTE (Love Duckie @ Mar 17 2008, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for calling MS, you don't actually have to talk to a single person. Infact you can completely blag it if you need to activate it.

What happens is, an automated system comes on and asks you for installer ID that is given to you in the activation window. Put that into the phone.. and when it asks questions like "Have you used this CD on another computer before?" Answer no by pressing the key necessary to do so.

Etc.

They must of fixed it or something because I tried that and it failed. I called MS again and payed 20 bucks for a new key (I reformmated too many times, bleh, bad habit) and it will last I think 10 times before another renew.

20 bucks for a new key ain't too bad imo.

Turkey Llama Confederation (WE MUST FIGHT TO PROTECT IT!)

Love Duckie

Love Duckie
  • GA Private
  • 2,448 posts
QUOTE (DarkKitchen @ Mar 17 2008, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whenever I have to go through that thing i feel like throwing my phone through the wall

Chyeah I know, mind you I got major kicks from doing it. Just the fact it's so exploitable without much effort

QUOTE (Kane @ Mar 17 2008, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They must of fixed it or something because I tried that and it failed. I called MS again and payed 20 bucks for a new key (I reformmated too many times, bleh, bad habit) and it will last I think 10 times before another renew.

20 bucks for a new key ain't too bad imo.

Meh, well when I last did it.. it weren't so long ago.. about last November? But yeah I guess $20 aint much.. that's 10 for me.

None the less I got away with it.

It's just how you do it, have to answer the questions correctly.

Lets hope there isn't a M$ representative browsing these boards right now.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
A friend of mine recently called M$ cause he got a new motherboard (well, everything). They denied him a new key cause the OEM key was tied to his mobo.. icon_confused.gif

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

Best HW & SW Contributor 08 & 09

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dont like
  • PSN:Completely detest
  • Wii:Cant afford
that's why you don't tell em
if you tell them you reformatted your computer they're obligated to give you your activation codes, can't charge you for a new key because you already have a liscence.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

Rayza

Rayza
  • GA Private
  • 791 posts
  • xfire:zog0rayza
  • Interests:Gaming, Music, Movies, Books, Comics, Television and Candy.
  • Gamer Army ID:573
QUOTE (Weiman @ Mar 17 2008, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A friend of mine recently called M$ cause he got a new motherboard (well, everything). They denied him a new key cause the OEM key was tied to his mobo.. icon_confused.gif

lol, friend needs to learn to say that he reformatted and didn't change any hardware. (yes lie, but it'll get you the freakin' key)

The ghetto stick reigns supreme.

TheBlackOut

TheBlackOut
  • GA Private
  • 4,612 posts
Oh wow, so if I got Vista OEM and just say I reformatted they'll give me a new key? Good to know, I might buy Vista then...

AZN_L473ncy

AZN_L473ncy
  • Members
  • 612 posts
@ Kane:

No they will let you reactivate not give you a new key.

TheBlackOut

TheBlackOut
  • GA Private
  • 4,612 posts
QUOTE (AZN_L473ncy @ Mar 17 2008, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@ Kane:

No they will let you reactivate not give you a new key.

But will that reactive work for a new motherboard?

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
QUOTE (Kane @ Mar 18 2008, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But will that reactive work for a new motherboard?

of course it'll work - its not like your motherboard keeps track of what OS's were installed

Love Duckie

Love Duckie
  • GA Private
  • 2,448 posts
QUOTE (7h3 n00b m4573r @ Mar 18 2008, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's why you don't tell em
if you tell them you reformatted your computer they're obligated to give you your activation codes, can't charge you for a new key because you already have a liscence.

Precisely.

RaiDer

RaiDer
  • Members
  • 2,307 posts
Phone automated activation, if you have exceeded your limit it will tell you the same shit upon completing the process. It'll work for the second maybe third time after that, no dice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users