Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

tae kwon do shall change its name.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Fuzzle

Fuzzle
  • Members
  • 937 posts
  • Interests:Words are just a big bunch of letters,... so wtf
  • Xbox / GFWL:A
  • PSN:H
  • Wii:B
So, if you are intrested in martial arts ( or into tae kwon do) you could carry on reading.

Today, in tae kwon do ( wtf) , my teacher came back from a tourney in germany, and he bought the new vest protection made by the germans for 600$ which will be implemented in the beijing olimpics 2008. These vests are electric blue tooth vests which detects the hits and sends the information to the computer. The intresting part is, depending on your weight ( i weigh 70), there is a minimum force you have to apply to ure hit to obtain a point. So for my weight , I had to hit over 200N, which is not so hard, but you get tired after doing 7 hits of 200N. Now here comes the sad part, that, almost all the tactics in tae kwon do will be kind of useless, because in tae kwon do , u rarely use ure Fists since it almost never counted as a point. But with this new technology, to get a point, you would mostly have to use ure knee, fist, and ofc be very fast. I find this technology is kind of ruining the traditioanl tae kwondo, because this is going to be like thai boxing =D where knees is key.

Give your opinions.

Orky

Orky
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts
If you won't hit like a man, take up ballet.
-Your Mom-

w4r10r

w4r10r
  • Members
  • 1,806 posts
  • xfire:d4rkply4
  • Interests:Gaming, obviously, but i also play a lot of guitar.
  • Steam ID:w4r10r
  • Xbox / GFWL:w4r10r
  • Wii:5863278811979727
QUOTE (Orky @ Mar 14 2008, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ballet's hardcore, I couldn't handle it.
QUOTE (Christron @ Mar 7 2008, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
are you fucking kidding me? i would totally use that as my comedy act at school, bitches love feces, ever seen 2girls1cup?

QUOTE (Verrückter @ May 29 2008, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A bad genre is still a genre.

Guitar_clock

Guitar_clock
  • Members
  • 894 posts
  • xfire:guitarclock
What does that have to do with a name change?

TheCh*ckenFace

TheCh*ckenFace
  • Members
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Food, drink, films, games, music and other stuff humans tend to enjoy...
I completely agree that it should be given a different name and that its not true tae kwon do. There should be an adjective in front of the name to point out that its a derivative of tae kwon do and not the martial art in its truest sense.
I think there's nothing wrong with the change and seeing how the move works out- it could eventually replace the traditional tae kwon do if popular enough but should only be taken as a preliminary form.
QUOTE (Guitar_clock @ Mar 14 2008, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the OP is trying to point out that its not true tae kwon do and thus should change its name (in the same sense as cs:s was billed as a remake of 1.6 but turned out to be anything but).

special3yj3.jpg
...the forums have gone down hill since those days :(

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
It sounds like the same concept behind electric fencing vests, except the olympic tkd version seems like a roundabout, expensive waste of money.

BTW, since Tae kwon do is less than 100 years old, what is "traditional" taekwondo? And how is olympic taekwondo "traditional"?

QUOTE (Fuzzle @ Mar 14 2008, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So for my weight , I had to hit over 200N, which is not so hard, but you get tired after doing 7 hits of 200N.

So you had to hit at a level that would actually inflict damage? What's wrong with that?

QUOTE (Fuzzle @ Mar 14 2008, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
because this is going to be like thai boxing =D where knees is key.

Since you can't clinch in taekwondo sparring, how would knees even come into play? Flying knees?

QUOTE (Orky @ Mar 14 2008, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Orky, can you hit like a man?

I thought women couldn't punch because of the resulting tit torsion.

God

God
  • Members
  • 1,879 posts
  • Interests:azn grrlz
QUOTE (Guitar_clock @ Mar 14 2008, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tae kwon don't
QUOTE (confrico @ Mar 15 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
chewing gum is sassy enough, let alone the extra fuck you of blowing a bubble

Jeremy S

Jeremy S
  • Banned
  • 0 posts
  • xfire:Banned.
  • Steam ID:Banned.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Banned.
  • PSN:Banned.
  • Wii:Banned.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

heheh hah heh ahem......

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Banned.

Dedrok

Dedrok
  • Members
  • 190 posts
  • xfire:newfienerd
  • Interests:Gaming
dont care

;D
eXante: Im gay for dedrok

ViRuS52: dedrok! I WANNA TAKE YOU TO A GAY BAR!

Mares

Mares

Best Avatar 08

• GA Private
  • 3,151 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:3456
Me wants to learn some martial arts , then I just can walk around kicking people their ass!

Btw what's the most coolest/usefully martial art that exist?

Fuzzle

Fuzzle
  • Members
  • 937 posts
QUOTE (Pawnator @ Mar 14 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It sounds like the same concept behind electric fencing vests, except the olympic tkd version seems like a roundabout, expensive waste of money.

BTW, since Tae kwon do is less than 100 years old, what is "traditional" taekwondo? And how is olympic taekwondo "traditional"?

So you had to hit at a level that would actually inflict damage? What's wrong with that?

Since you can't clinch in taekwondo sparring, how would knees even come into play? Flying knees?

Orky, can you hit like a man?

I thought women couldn't punch because of the resulting tit torsion.

Well first of all, the 200N limit to the 70 kilo fighters affects them alot because as you can see, now you are going to get more tired =D ( yes we tried it out today and u get more tired than "normal"), and it gets quite annoying that, when you hit ure oponent thinking u got the point, you actually didnt just because of the 200N.
Second of all , you know in tae kwondo you normally clash right?, well when you clash, giving a punch or a knee hit wont give points, but now if u bash the oponent with the knee on the chest, you will get a point because of the vest. Ofc there isnt any clinch, but there are moments when the oponent "kisses" you, so at that moment you can use ure fist or knee.

Well these vests will be used in 6 months, so im sure the WTF will put some regulations. Im liking this now, cause now you gotta be even more cautious in the fights than b4.

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (Fuzzle @ Mar 14 2008, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
use ure fist or knee.

Well, Karate means empty HAND, and since TKD was developed from Karate, you guys should remember your roots and use your hands. I mean, they're on your body.

and it gets quite annoying that, when you hit ure oponent thinking u got the point, you actually didnt just because of the 200N.

So it's a problem that you have to hit your opponent with force to get a point in a combat sport?

Ofc there isnt any clinch, but there are moments when the oponent "kisses" you, so at that moment you can use ure fist or knee.

So you're saying that the vests add new move possibilities, but don't take anything away? I mean, you can kick the vest. So what's the problem? As long as you strike with enough force to do damage/register?

Jeremy S

Jeremy S
  • Banned
  • 0 posts
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH ITS STILL FUNNY!!!

also @ mare

if u r serious i reccomend boxing bjj muay thai or my personal favorite run-fu
Banned.

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (Mares @ Mar 14 2008, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Btw what's the most coolest/usefully martial art that exist?

That depends on opinion, really.

Fuzzle

Fuzzle
  • Members
  • 937 posts
What im saying is that, you can clash and get a point just because of the vest =D.

About the force thing, yes it is a problem to the people who are used to not rampaging like beasts. They will have to adpapt to this now. As you know, the judges in tae kwondo sometimes count some hits that do no dmg whatso ever, so now the vest will oblige the not so strong hitters to hit even harder than b4. So yeh it is a problem to those type of fighters.

Pawnator, not sure if TKD was developed from karate, but, not sure if u knew it but, punches right now dont count as points nor knee. Its only used to hit the lungs of the oponent so you break his game.

Edit: not sure why you laughin jeremy S, ne ways..

Jeremy S

Jeremy S
  • Banned
  • 0 posts
QUOTE (Fuzzle @ Mar 14 2008, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What im saying is that, you can clash and get a point just because of the vest =D.

i know your joking but thats just funny. I keep picture to tkd'ers just running at each other icon_razz.gif

So yeh it is a problem to those type of fighters.

yeah because it turns them into fighters
Pawnator, not sure if TKD was developed from karate, but, not sure if u knew it but, punches right now dont count as points nor knee. Its only used to hit the lungs of the oponent so you break his game.

that would mean the punch counts

also im laughing because you seemed to be complaining because you have to have a physical damage cuasing kick to get a point. it just seems humorous is all.
Banned.

Fuzzle

Fuzzle
  • Members
  • 937 posts
No, no no...never said the punches count, I said it will just "break their game" which means it will tire the oponent.

Jeremy S

Jeremy S
  • Banned
  • 0 posts
QUOTE (Fuzzle @ Mar 14 2008, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, no no...never said the punches count, I said it will just "break their game" which means it will tire the oponent.

which means the punch counts

just depends on your definition fo counting a hit.

for me it means he wont be able to come back at me with the same force.
Banned.

Fuzzle

Fuzzle
  • Members
  • 937 posts
doesnt count as a "point". A point in the sense of , 1 POINT, 2 Points etc... lol.

Jeremy S

Jeremy S
  • Banned
  • 0 posts
QUOTE (Fuzzle @ Mar 14 2008, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
doesnt count as a "point". A point in the sense of , 1 POINT, 2 Points etc... lol.

oh alright icon_razz.gif also sorry for laughing im mildly biased against tkd. bad experience with some practitioners.
Banned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users