Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

tae kwon do shall change its name.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Jeremy S

Jeremy S
  • Banned
  • 0 posts
  • xfire:Banned.
  • Steam ID:Banned.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Banned.
  • PSN:Banned.
  • Wii:Banned.
i cant wait for a ma thread that i post in before pawnator just so i can say, "in before pawnator"
Banned.

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
  • xfire:cipher5006
  • PSN:Kithlan
I'm pretty sure the OP meant to call this thread
"Tae Kwon Do should changes its name"

Needless to say, if this is the case, I am mad

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (Jeremy S @ Mar 15 2008, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i cant wait for a ma thread that i post in before pawnator just so i can say, "in before pawnator"

I'm a visual memory guy when it comes to people, so if you change your avatar every week it confuses me :/

I thought you HAD posted in the thread.

KuroFalcon

KuroFalcon

Best Overall Poster 08

• GA Corporal
  • 7,232 posts
  • Steam ID:Winzx12
  • Gamer Army ID:2992
  • Company:Pi
They should just take it like a man.

QUOTE (Mares @ Aug 22 2008, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
kuro is MY LOVABOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gordoss

Gordoss
  • Members
  • 2,232 posts
QUOTE (Pawnator @ Mar 15 2008, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does that mean MMA isn't a martial art?

Nah dude, MMA is essentially a combination of martial arts. I didn't say that martial arts can't be competitive, I'm saying that Tae Kwon Do is NOT a martial art. It IS a sport. That is FACT.

If you read the history, it is considered a sport by Koreans and the majority of the world, not a martial art. Any knowledgeable participant of Tae Kwon Do is aware of this.
Guns, Gold, Ganj, & Ammunition.

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (Gordoss @ Mar 16 2008, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any knowledgeable participant of Tae Kwon Do is aware of this.

So like, 1%?

(GA)Mansavage

(GA)Mansavage
  • GA Captain
  • 400 posts
  • xfire:mansavage
  • Gamer Army ID:3283
  • Company:Kilo
QUOTE (Mares @ Mar 14 2008, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Me wants to learn some martial arts , then I just can walk around kicking people their ass!

Btw what's the most coolest/usefully martial art that exist?

DO NOT join any martial art with that attitude, even MMA. Coolness is spread equally among the arts, as each has its own signature techniques. Usefulness is based on the master in which you study under. Don't become a UPS black belt (someone who gets their black belt as fast as UPS can ship it to them [somebody who breezes through the ranks and calls themselves a black belt in 1-3 years]). I would recommend getting into the martial arts mindset, which is the more you learn, the less you are impelled to using what you know. This mindset is key to learning anything. What you must understand is that the man who goes to learn how to fight damns himself from the beginning, the man who goes to learn how to live will always be better than the first man.

I have been training in Tae Kwon Do for 9 years, and teaching for 1. I am certified in World Taekwondo Federation by the Kukkiwon with a 1st dan. Firstly, discount anything concerning knees since its illegal in Olympic Taekwondo sparring anyways. Secondly, this is great, because in competitions that i went to, a hit which you block was a tricky thing to do. This is because the loud thud it produces can be heard as a hit to the judges, which is why you almost never see a block in a WTF Championship. The vest sounds like a huge step forward, instead of back, because now a Tae Kwon Do fighter must coordinate his entire body as opposed to just a challenge to see who has the fastest legs.

As for Pawnator's uneducated statements, please disregard all of them. Tae Kwon Do originated in korea, karate originated in japan. Tae Kwon Do originated from an art called "Taek Kyon".
To Pawnator:
The history of Tae Kwon Do:
2,000 years ago korea was divided into 3 kingdoms; Silla (founded 57 BC), Koguryo (Founded 37 BC), and Baekche (founded 18 BC). Silla was the smallest and had the least developed civilization. Silla was constantly under attack by Japanese Pirates, as it was established near the coast of the Korean Peninsula. Silla asked for help from King Gwanggaeto of Koguryo. realizing that if the pirates were allowed a foothold, the entire peninsula would be in jeopardy. Thus, King Gwanggaeto sent a force of 50,000 soldiers to silla where the soldiers saw an unarmed fighting system known as Taek Kyon for the first time. Taek Kyon was passed in strict secrecy to a few warriors from Koguryo, and eventually to the court of Gwanggaeto himself. He was so impressed with what he saw, he ordered it be incorporated into the noble youths of Koguryo's formal education. Over these thousands of years, Tae Kwon Do is now what it is today.

So when we say "Traditional Tae Kwon Do" we are referring over 2,000 years of the martial art. So when you say Tae Kwon Do has only been in existence for 100 years, you are ultimately incorrect. I hate to put it so bluntly, however the information predisposed to you is wrong.

Tae kwon do is a highly useful in self defense, however it must be used correctly. Originally, when it was brought to the united states, the blocking techniques we see today are really breaking techniques. I have seen a "Knife Hand Middle block" or "Open hand middle" (whichever you call it) used on a high round house to the knee, resulting in a broken leg, On top of many other blocks in many other situations. The problem is that many of the modern masters are highly mediocre, which is why i have a strong bias against any school which isnt WTF certified. I myself train and teach in a school which has produced New York open, US Open, Junior Olympics, and Olympic gold medalists, and have trained with teachers like Grandmaster Yeon Hwan Park (chairman of the the olympic tae kwon do referee committee and 9th dan). It is true that it is a sport, however if looked in the aspect of it being a fighting style, it is still a very respectable art. The Tae Kwon do fighter loses because they do not practice their distance, which any respectable fighter worth their salt will tell you is Number 1, over everything. Speed, Power, Strength, Accuracy, Control, etc... is all second to distance. When the TKD fighter loses focus of their distance, is when they will lose.

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
No, Mansavage. You are wrong. The Taekwondo we know today has no root in Takeyyon, or the older korean arts. This has been argued time and time again.

Wikipedia:

During the Japanese occupation (1910-1945), the practice of taekkyeon was banned.[3] Although the art essentially vanished[4], some aspects of taekkyeon may have survived through underground teaching and folk custom. As the Japanese colonization established a firm foothold in Korea, the few Koreans who were able to attend Japanese universities were exposed to Okinawan and Japanese martial arts, and some received black belts in these arts. Koreans in China were also exposed to Chinese martial arts.

After World War II and the liberation of Korea, several Kwans (schools) arose. They included: Chung Do Kwan, Moo Duk Kwan, Jidokwan (or Yun Moo Kwan), Chang Moo Kwan, Han Moo Kwan, Oh Do Kwan, Jung Do Kwan, Kang Duk Won, Kyun Hyung do Kwon and Song Moo Kwan. All taught Japanese-influenced systems.[5] Most were based on Japanese Karate, most notably Shotokan Karate. As these arts began to be taught openly by Koreans who had learned it in Japan, they were taught under such names as kongsudo and tangsudo.

(GA)Mansavage

(GA)Mansavage
  • GA Captain
  • 400 posts
QUOTE (Pawnator @ Mar 16 2008, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, Mansavage. You are wrong. The Taekwondo we know today has no root in Takeyyon, or the older korean arts. This has been argued time and time again.

Wikipedia:

No need for hostilities. I am trying to be polite, and I find that the published words of Grandmaster Y.H. Park along with the personal approval of Un Yong Kim (President of the Kukkiwon) and Sang Chul Lee (president United States Taekwondo Union) which have been passed down through generations certainly hold more water than Wikipedia. I also find that many students of various martial arts who flame other arts are themselves at epically mediocre status in their own respective martial art. Which is very evident in your own posts. I am not saying that you are bad at your art, however i doubt that any artist above less than reputable skill would post such slanderous hostilities.

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE ((GA)Mansavage @ Mar 16 2008, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No need for hostilities. I am trying to be polite, and I find that the published words of Grandmaster Y.H. Park along with the personal approval of Un Yong Kim (President of the Kukkiwon) and Sang Chul Lee (president United States Taekwondo Union) which have been passed down through generations certainly hold more water than Wikipedia. I also find that many students of various martial arts who flame other arts are themselves at epically mediocre status in their own respective martial art. Which is very evident in your own posts. I am not saying that you are bad at your art, however i doubt that any artist above less than reputable skill would post such slanderous hostilities.

Rofl, hostilities? You said I was wrong, I said you were wrong. I don't flame other arts. The only "flame" in this thread was the ad hominem you just slung my way.

You cannot show any proof that there's a link between modern TKD and taekkyeon.

(GA)Mansavage

(GA)Mansavage
  • GA Captain
  • 400 posts
QUOTE (Pawnator @ Mar 16 2008, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rofl, hostilities? You said I was wrong, I said you were wrong. I don't flame other arts.

You cannot show any proof that there's a link between modern TKD and taekkyeon.

In that respect, why are Taek Kyon grandmasters in the TKD Hall of fame?. and why are so many of Taek Kyon moves irrefutably similar to TKD techniques?

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE ((GA)Mansavage @ Mar 16 2008, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In that respect, why are Taek Kyon grandmasters in the TKD Hall of fame?. and why are so many of Taek Kyon moves irrefutably similar to TKD techniques?

There are tons of martial arts "hall of fame"'s, and most of them are bogus. The fact that some fancy pics of TK masters are in the TKD hall of fame proves nothing.

Taekkyon techniques are not similar to TKD techniques. Taekkyon schools today are no more "Taekkyon" than modern Pankration schools are to actual ancient greek pankration.

(GA)Mansavage

(GA)Mansavage
  • GA Captain
  • 400 posts
QUOTE (Pawnator @ Mar 16 2008, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are tons of martial arts "hall of fame"'s, and most of them are bogus. The fact that some fancy pics of TK masters are in the TKD hall of fame proves nothing.

Taekkyon techniques are not similar to TKD techniques. Taekkyon schools today are no more "Taekkyon" than modern Pankration schools are to actual ancient greek pankration.

I agree that most are bogus. However you must admit that Tae Kwon Do does have some Taek Kyon in it. From what ive seen in comparison, it is very evident.

Mares

Mares

Best Avatar 08

• GA Private
  • 3,151 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:3456
QUOTE (Jeremy S @ Mar 15 2008, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
also @ mares

if u r serious i reccomend boxing bjj muay thai or my personal favorite run-fu

lol, I'll look if they have some trainings of run-fu in my area

QUOTE (Pawnator @ Mar 15 2008, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That depends on opinion, really.

I would like learning a defense MA, but not only that, I would like to combine attack with defense because here where I live you almost need it icon_biggrin.gif now my tactic is just running away, it's a good tactic actually!

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE ((GA)Mansavage @ Mar 16 2008, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree that most are bogus. However you must admit that Tae Kwon Do does have some Taek Kyon in it. From what ive seen in comparison, it is very evident.

And when/where have you seen actual Taekkyon?

QUOTE (Mares @ Mar 16 2008, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like learning a defense MA, but not only that, I would like to combine attack with defense because here where I live you almost need it icon_biggrin.gif now my tactic is just running away, it's a good tactic actually!

There's really no MA that allows you to use ubar defense techniques to have some non-agressive kill powers. Well, that's what most Aikido schools would claim, but just look at their drills....

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
Oh lawd, someone just called out Pawnator in the topic of martial arts.
Prepare for ensuing ownage and brace for impact!

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

(GA)Mansavage

(GA)Mansavage
  • GA Captain
  • 400 posts
QUOTE (TheShadowNinja @ Mar 16 2008, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh lawd, someone just called out Pawnator in the topic of martial arts.
Prepare for ensuing ownage and brace for impact!

Oh snap, we have a fanboy.

Where have i seen Taek Kyon?
youtube.

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE ((GA)Mansavage @ Mar 16 2008, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

youtube.

Ah, you saw it on youtube. Gotcha.

You know, you can see a clip of my instructor on youtube. Here's him awarding headbands to our group for our outstanding achievement:
<a href=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXotN4Z0Ml4</a>

(GA)Mansavage

(GA)Mansavage
  • GA Captain
  • 400 posts
QUOTE (Pawnator @ Mar 16 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, you saw it on youtube. Gotcha.

You know, you can see a clip of my instructor on youtube. Here's him awarding headbands to our group for our outstanding achievement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXotN4Z0Ml4

If that was a sarcastic joke, it was amazingly unfunny. If that was not a joke, then I find that amazingly unrealistic.

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
QUOTE ((GA)Mansavage @ Mar 16 2008, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

youtube.

Not a fanboy, but nice try at flame baiting.

Anyways, no, the reason I said that is because in every thread about Martial Arts, Pawnator is the undisputed king of knowledge.
Just like st1dinoh and Fin own at most debates but shine when it comes to debating conspiracies/American criticism.

It's just how these things go.
But for now,

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users