Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Zeitgeist

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
QUOTE (anatomy187 @ Jan 4 2008, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like how no one can back up 100% of actual religion...ROFL

Pro tip: Don't start an argument you can't finish.

IPB Image

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (pwner_who_pwns_noobs @ Jan 4 2008, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Parts like when they explain religions similarity.

Can you provide any actual evidence for the claims made in the movie about religion's similarity?

Other than the whole sun thing, which has an obvious explanation.

VulgaritySocks

VulgaritySocks

Second only to DougHChrist! | Wisest Poster 08

• Members
  • 4,423 posts
  • xfire:h00nestr00b
  • Interests:Defenestration, interpretive dance...<br />Dreadlocks?<br /><br />This is stupid.
I had a thread about this a while back icon_sad.gif.
But it's gone now, much like the majority of respect I had for this. It was interesting, but a hemroid can be interesting too.
I think it's obvious the government can't be in control of a place like the States. If it is, we're fucked. They built the whole goddam thing on bullshit superstitions. I assume, and I have for a while now, that somewhere there's a dark room filled with men in expensive suits planning what next to do with the world. And why not?
No one will do anything about it. I certainly won't. I don't even like people. We're like moles facing a cave in of our own design. And we don't even know it yet.

Rain downnnnnnnnnn rain downnnnnnnnnnn

Nushi

Nushi
  • GA Private
  • 318 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:4236
I found the religious part of the film eye-opening and the conspiracy part showed some convincing evidence but the credibility of some of the RFID stuff seemed questionable. The beef I have with this video and others like it (Loose Change, Endgame etc) is that they kind of deflect from the real issues at hand. Yes the US government might have carried out 9/11 themselves, really in the great scheme of things that doesn't matter. What matters are the numerous crimes of US foreign policy that they have been able to commit because of perceived threats like terrorism.
IPB Image

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
Someone needs to make a documentary on the real problem with US government (and the problem applies to several other democratic countries as well to varying degrees). The government is supposed to serve the people, but in the US, that seems to have been forgotten. The main purpose of a government is supposed to be to provide services and protection to the people of a country. Instead, it seems to act separately to what the people want or need a lot of the time.
For instance, foreign aid. Now, foreign aid isn't a terrible thing in theory, but a government's responsibility should be to helping its own impoverished people before helping those overseas. That's one example.
IPB Image

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (Nushi @ Jan 5 2008, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found the religious part of the film eye-opening

How so?

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (Nushi @ Jan 5 2008, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found the religious part of the film eye-opening

How so?

EDIT: how did I double post? Flood control is broken!

Nushi

Nushi
  • GA Private
  • 318 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:4236
Well i'd learned of similarities between Jesus and another Roman god (of which the name escapes me right now) but I had no idea that there were so many that shared the same characteristics.
IPB Image

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (Nushi @ Jan 5 2008, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well i'd learned of similarities between Jesus and another Roman god (of which the name escapes me right now) but I had no idea that there were so many that shared the same characteristics.

Prove a significant similarity between Sol Invictus, Mithras and Jesus.

GO!

I'll start: The RCC placed the celebration of the birth of Christ on the 25th of December because it corresponded with the birth of Sol Invictus. (not saturnalia, as is often misinterpreted) However, this does not place any proof against Jesus's existence.

I remember some people thought there was a relation between Sampson and Jesus because Sampson lost his hair during December, and Jesus died in March or April. That obviously makes no sense.

SN3S

SN3S

Best Newcomer | Best Console Contributor 2007 Rawr:3

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
  • xfire:sn3s
  • Interests:Gaming (Mostly Fighting/Puzzle/Platforming), Comics/Anime, Puttering around with Photoshop, Reading, Listening to Music, <br />Being a Geek, etc...
  • PSN:LucidMomentum
  • Wii:1464476386663937
  • Gamer Army ID:3234
Y'know what scares me more than thinking about whether being a Christian is good for me?

The fact that every time I get into a car, I'm putting my trust and my life in the hands of everyone else on the road in my immediate vicinity.

I always shudder at that...

QUOTE (Joby @ May 3 2008, 08:13 PM)
We need to find you a girl that doesn't end in .jpeg

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
  • xfire:anatomy20
  • Steam ID:anatomy187
  • Xbox / GFWL:anatomy187
  • PSN:anatomy187
  • Gamer Army ID:2743
  • Company:Delta
QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Jan 4 2008, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pro tip: Don't start an argument you can't finish.

You can't prove a religion is true, you also can't disprove it. You either choose to believe or not to believe; but when you are religious and your argument against someone trying to prove that your religion isn't true is that they can't "back it up" what they are saying...well that's stupid because neither can you.

I'm not religious nor am I an atheist, I recognize the fact that it's very likely that us humans are never going to know the truth until we are dead (if we're lucky) so I just don't worry about it. For me, if I devoted my life to Jesus, going to church and praying and arguing for him my entire life, and then I die and find out none of it is real? Well I just wasted a good portion of my life for nothing...which is a major reason I don't want to be involved in any formal religion.

The thing I don't like about religion is how people use it for the wrong reasons; to control and manipulate people. Sometimes I think that the world would be better off without it for this reason, but there is a good chance I could be wrong. But I won't get in the way of anyone's beliefs and if any religious group (or any group really) was actually being persecuted I'd defend their right to believe what they want to until my last breath. I guess you could say I believe more in fighting for Freedom and Justice myself than I believe in some higher power doing it for me.

That's that I suppose, I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (anatomy187 @ Jan 5 2008, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can't prove a religion is true, you also can't disprove it.

You said 100% of all religion is unproven.

I believe part of Zeitgeist talks about how most religions include references to the sun.

The sun is real.

Therefore, at least some percentage of religion is real.

nlitement

nlitement
  • Members
  • 2,821 posts
  • Interests:Yeah, damn.
  • Xbox / GFWL:nlitement
As long as someone can go and verify for me that the virgin birth etc. similarities (knew about them before) DO actually match up so much like the constellations, dates, ages (new to me), I'll call this film a decent watch.
˘3˘ ◕ ◡ ◕ ( ω`) ~

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
QUOTE (Pawnator @ Jan 5 2008, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You said 100% of all religion is unproven.

I believe part of Zeitgeist talks about how most religions include references to the sun.

The sun is real.

Therefore, at least some percentage of religion is real.

1. You said 99% of what Zeitgeist said about religion can't be backed up, and I somehow doubt you whipped out your calculator and analyzed it up, meaning you pulled that percentage right out your ass just like I did, so don't get all upset over it.
2. The fact that the sun exists doesn't prove anything about religion...it proves there is a giant fucking ball of fire out there...rofl, I'm not sure what you were going for there.

Reference to the sun in religions + the sun is real = religion is somewhat real....WTF!? Maybe you didn't understand what I was trying to say.

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (anatomy187 @ Jan 5 2008, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2. The fact that the sun exists doesn't prove anything about religion...it proves there is a giant fucking ball of fire out there...rofl, I'm not sure what you were going for there.

Quoted for later; it will be important.

I use the term "99%" because saying something is 100% false is stupid. I did it out of courtesy, nothing more. I contend any of the evidence from the movie which "disproves" Jesus's existence or "proves" that a single historical religious line from prehistoric times birthed all religion.

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
QUOTE (Pawnator @ Jan 5 2008, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use the term "99%" because saying something is 100% false is stupid. I did it out of courtesy, nothing more.

My saying 100% was just sarcasm intended to poke fun at you saying 99%. I don't really understand what you mean by what you said though..."saying 100% is stupid", but you say you only bumped yours down to 99% out of courtesy? Doesn't that mean you originally were thinking 100% of what the movie said about religion was false, but you just took at down to 99% for whatever reason?

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (anatomy187 @ Jan 5 2008, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My saying 100% was just sarcasm intended to poke fun at you saying 99%. I don't really understand what you mean by what you said though..."saying 100% is stupid", but you say you only bumped yours down to 99% out of courtesy? Doesn't that mean you originally were thinking 100% of what the movie said about religion was false, but you just took at down to 99% for whatever reason?

I mean that there's always the possibility, however slim.

Choop

Choop
  • Members
  • 239 posts
I really like this video. Even if it isn't completely solid, it has a good message, basically: To think for yourself. I'm not going to poke at the religion part because I'm just too lazy to research it, but it was interesting nonetheless. I think the most powerful part of the movie for me was the part with the JFK quote. Wow. Also, silicon chip ID implants is very possible, and a scary thing indeed. if you don't believe in ANYTHING else from the film, at least try to understand how easy that would make manipulation of the masses.

Hrugnir

Hrugnir

The Disciple

• Retired Staff
  • 5,277 posts
  • xfire:hrugnir
  • Interests:Gaming, Music, Theology, Mythology, Eschathology, Philosophy, Psychology.
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:1887372691017334
  • Gamer Army ID:165
QUOTE (Pawnator @ Jan 6 2008, 06:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean that there's always the possibility, however slim.

I agree. Saying you're 100% sure about anything like this is ridiculous. Not only religion, but saying you're 100% sure the US Government either did 9/11 or not, is just ignorant. There's simply no way you can know, you can just make conclusions based on the evidence.

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (Choop @ Jan 6 2008, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really like this video. Even if it isn't completely solid, it has a good message, basically: To think for yourself.

Funny how most people who watch it believe it like doctrine, then, eh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users