Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Recommend a book to me.

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

Guest_Myren_*

Guest_Myren_*
  • Guests
Just as the title says. I dont want one personally but I figured you guys would want to post what you think is a pwnage book is and to recommend it to others!

Vengeance

Vengeance

MotM March 2007 | teh_cookierer

• GA Sergeant
  • 2,057 posts
  • xfire:vengeance238
  • Wii:7099005730287119
  • Gamer Army ID:100
I'll start off with a recommendation which can never go amiss, but equally one which probably almost everyone has already read : Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Pure comedy genius, mixed with some great social commentary (remarkable relevant considering the age of the series).

KuroFalcon

KuroFalcon

Best Overall Poster 08

• GA Corporal
  • 7,232 posts
  • Steam ID:Winzx12
  • Gamer Army ID:2992
  • Company:Pi
Ahh Celebrations for when Arts and Literature become one country Forum.

Ill go check some of these recommendations out seeing as I have been bored for quite a while.

QUOTE (Mares @ Aug 22 2008, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
kuro is MY LOVABOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grimm

grimm
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • xfire:xgrimmx
  • Interests:Counter Strike, Anime, Movies, Music (Metal and Rock FTW), and of course Pure Pwnage.
  • Wii:Be up soon!
This is for kind of Mid teens.
Orson Scott Card - Enders Game
Mathew Reilly - Any really but Ice station most notably.
Ken Catran (spelling?) - Jacko Moran Sniper
Ken Catran - Talking to Blue/Blue Murder (same story but from different perspectives.)
Claire Carmichael - Incognito
(ARRRR CANT REMEMBER NAME AND AUTHORS OF SOME GOOD ONES >.>)

For the more aspiring reader -
Charles Dickens - All (I just love his stuff ok?)

These are all books I raed when i was in year 8-9 (back when i actually read stuff). So i dont know if it will have th same effect on the older readers but if your between 12-20 they're worth a look.

Guest_Sethasstor_*

Guest_Sethasstor_*
  • Guests
The Great Gatsby, Catch-22

Jengerer

Jengerer

2009 Softest Hair Winner & Best Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
  • xfire:Jengerer
  • Interests:Video games. Who knew?
  • Steam ID:Jengerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:4485
The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield!

Although the book is fiction, and a lot of its aspects are science fiction, a lot of it can be applied to real life, and it's an extremely interesting book!

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
QUOTE (Sethasstor @ Feb 25 2008, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Great Gatsby, Catch-22

damn beaten to it.

Rehd

Rehd
  • GA Private
  • 2,387 posts
  • xfire:Gforcecrisis
  • Interests:Oh you know... stuff.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Rehd1906
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:5743384498007899
  • Gamer Army ID:3472
  • Company:Hotel
I HATE The Great Gatsby so much. >_<

Shogun is a good book as long as you don't mind a very very very thick book, Dune is also very good.
QUOTE (raw_genesis @ Dec 15 2009, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
penis is ALWAYS relevent...

Smiler

Smiler
  • Members
  • 382 posts
  • xfire:smilerdave
i highly reccomend animal farm

if you like history then check out conn igguldens (not sure about spelling of that) books too

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
Peace Like a River

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

Amethyst

Amethyst
  • GA Sergeant
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Reading books and writing nonsense. I also like to DJ (on the radio).
  • Steam ID:PPGA_Amethyst
  • Xbox / GFWL:Lady Goggles
  • PSN:EmmaEmmerich
  • Gamer Army ID:1557
  • Company:Kilo
Depends on what you like, really, but here's a smattering of titles I enjoy regularly:

Humor:
Anything by George Carlin (Braindroppings, Napalm and Silly Putty, When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?) The man is a comedic genius, IMO, and his books are entertaining. The only problem I have with them is that some of the material is repeated, but enough original stuff is presented to make the purchase worthwhile.

Political Humor:
Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them by Al Franken. It's a left-wing-ish book, of sorts, but it's an engaging read. Focuses on a lot of people (Bill O Reilly, Ann Coulter, Bush, etc) and events.

Gaming:
Swords and Circuitry: A Designer's Guide to Computer Roleplaying Games, by Neal and Jana Halford. Part of Prima Tech's Game Development Series, this books offers quite a lot of insight into roleplaying games. It looks at different types of players, discussions on characters and storyline, the anatomy of RPGs, and sample scripts to view. Recommended, especially if you're considering making RPGs.

The Ultimate History of Video Games, by Steve Kent. I cannot recommend this book enough. One of the most informative and engaging reads I've encountered, it chronicles the history of video games from the 1930's or so to around 2001. It includes interviews from prominent figures and a great deal of information. The only drawback is that it focuses more on the American side of gaming history-- while touching upon Japan's contributions, the greater emphasis is on American development. Also: this might be a long read for some, pages clocking in at 591. A must read, IMO.

Fiction:
Sabriel, by Garth Nix. The first book in the Abhorsen Trilogy, it tells the story of a young lady who's looking for her father, the current Abhorsen. An Abhorsen is a person not unlike a necromancer, the only catch being s/he puts the dead back down. The book focuses a lot on the issues of death and dying, as well as a coming-of-age story of sorts. Another recommended title; and if you enjoy it, pick up the other two books as well: Lirael, and Abhorsen.

Azure Bonds, by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb. Don't let the fact that this is set in a D&D world scare you away- it's a fantastic story, and you needn't have played D&D to enjoy it, although it certainly helps. A swordswoman named Alias awakens to find a number of odd azure tattoos on her arm, and she decides to find out what exactly is going on. She meets a number of interesting companions along the way, and the plot twists in a very chilling way about halfway in.

Silicon Follies, by Thomas Scoville. If you'd like fiction that's a little more modern, this might be for you. Focuses on the story of Paul, a disgruntled computer consultant working in Silicon Valley, and of Liz, an English Lit grad who finds a job at Paul's current company. It brings a lot to the table, especially the redundancy and bores of corporate life, and a lot of tech humor to boot.

Anyway, I hope this didn't bore you too much! It's just a smattering of titles to get you started. I didn't want to recommend classics that everyone knows, so maybe this list will spark your interest to read lesser known titles. Enjoy!

Amethyst

Amethyst
  • GA Sergeant
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Reading books and writing nonsense. I also like to DJ (on the radio).
  • Steam ID:PPGA_Amethyst
  • Xbox / GFWL:Lady Goggles
  • PSN:EmmaEmmerich
  • Gamer Army ID:1557
  • Company:Kilo
edit: double post, sorry.

BlanetheTrain(assimilator)

• GA Private
  • 1,124 posts
  • xfire:blanetrain
  • Interests:Whatever you want them to be.
  • Steam ID:blanethetrain
  • Gamer Army ID:2367
  • Company:India
Most likely you have already read The Dark Tower series from Stephen King. If not its fucking awesome. Pretty gritty stuff. The usual Stephen King.

LOL at animal farm. That book is awesome actually. The political subtext is rich. Short book though.

Read Death of a Salesman so we can discuss the symbolism. At least thats what I am supposed to be doing for English.
Would you like to look at some of my wares?

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Oh and since no ones mentioned it:

The Stand. Truely a epic book, the best Stephen King ever wrote by far. Its a lengthy one though (Something I like).

• GA Private
  • 1,124 posts
  • xfire:blanetrain
  • Interests:Whatever you want them to be.
  • Steam ID:blanethetrain
  • Gamer Army ID:2367
  • Company:India
QUOTE (Master C @ Feb 27 2008, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh and since no ones mentioned it:

The Stand. Truely a epic book, the best Stephen King ever wrote by far. Its a lengthy one though (Something I like).

Much agreed.
Would you like to look at some of my wares?

tyler1451

tyler1451

GA Private

• Banned
  • 1,322 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Gaming.
  • Steam ID:[PPGA]SpookyCupcakes
  • Gamer Army ID:1807
  • Company:Bravo
deception point.

probably the best action book that has ever been made, this dan brown book wouldve been much better as a movie than the da vinci code (although i enjoyed that movie, and i r excited for angels and demons)
QUOTE (Shadowstar @ Nov 5 2008, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tell me that a year from now.

QUOTE (Raven* @ Jul 12 2008, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RUN! THE COCK IS A LIE!!!111

QUOTE (Cure @ Jul 23 2008, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
P.S. Tyler I want your babies.

QUOTE (Yoski @ Jul 20 2008, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Deleting the recycle bin would create a time padarox and a black hole

QUOTE (Dark.Matter @ Jul 22 2008, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How you all can fill 13 pages of discussion talking about each others willies is beyond me :P

QUOTE (cadetduke @ Jul 22 2008, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There will never be a "best movie of all time". I'll be damned if I let some douche piece of shit tell me what they say is the best movie of all time. The Godfather has been #1 on IMDB for as long as I can remember and I fall asleep through the movie every time I try to watch it. I have yet to see the whole movie in one sitting. The "best movie of all time" would have to be a movie where the majority of the people agree with calling it that. I never see this happening so the "best movie of all time" will always be an opinion.

QUOTE (The Colonel @ Jul 21 2008, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a little off topic, but why the fuck do you have to be a fanboy? Why can't you just play games for the sake of playing games? By saying "LULZ NO CONSOLES R 4 N00BZ LOLOLOL" you are missing out on a lot of great games. A great game is a great game despite the platform it is on.

Verrückter

Verrückter

Satanic Birthday Boy

• Retired Staff
  • 7,606 posts
  • Interests:Games!
Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds

Seriously, if you like science-fiction, you'll loooove this book. It's amazingly well written and the plot will make your head'splode.

Great book, 10/10, 5 stars, etc.
"Something tremendously powerful was lost when composers moved away from tonal harmony and regular pulses... Among other things the audience was lost" -John Adams

talok iv

talok iv
  • GA Private
  • 1,173 posts
  • xfire:talokiv
  • Interests:The 3 G's: Gaming, Guitar, Girls.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Talok IV
  • Wii:1167180059041566
  • Gamer Army ID:3486
QUOTE (grimm @ Feb 25 2008, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Orson Scott Card - Enders Game

Favorite book of all time - so far. :b

Brown_Cyclone

Brown_Cyclone
  • Members
  • 1,048 posts
  • xfire:Frostmourne234
  • Interests:Gaming, music, friends, pure pwnage, reading, zelda lulz
  • Xbox / GFWL:brown cyclone
  • Wii:1751004761534286
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
a classic, and rightly so
once you get past the language that is, but once you do, it hightens the experience icon_wink.gif

grimm

grimm
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • xfire:xgrimmx
  • Interests:Counter Strike, Anime, Movies, Music (Metal and Rock FTW), and of course Pure Pwnage.
  • Wii:Be up soon!
QUOTE (Amethyst @ Feb 28 2008, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Ultimate History of Video Games, by Steve Kent. I cannot recommend this book enough. One of the most informative and engaging reads I've encountered, it chronicles the history of video games from the 1930's or so to around 2001. It includes interviews from prominent figures and a great deal of information. The only drawback is that it focuses more on the American side of gaming history-- while touching upon Japan's contributions, the greater emphasis is on American development. Also: this might be a long read for some, pages clocking in at 591. A must read, IMO.

Ill definitely check this one out

QUOTE (Brown_Cyclone @ Feb 28 2008, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
a classic, and rightly so
once you get past the language that is, but once you do, it hightens the experience icon_wink.gif

Loved a clockwork orange! I saw the movie first so it was interesting reading all the extra stuff. And you get used to the language pretty quickly. I also read the Acknowledgments? (i think thats what its called) at teh start and i was mortified to find that Anothony Burgess thought that the movie was a butchering of his book. A clockwork Orange is one of the greatest movies iv ever seen directed by one of the greatest directors to ever live and in all honesty was probably the reason his book was such a hit!

Also one I cant remember the name of thats really good. Its called Ace of spades? or 5 of spades or something along those lines and starts with a taxi driver who gets himself into a bank robbery. EXCELLENT BOOK! (damn wish i could remember the name >.>)

EDIT: Ken Scott - Jack of Heats. Its a bit of a mind fuck at the end but a brilliant book overall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users