Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Recommend a book to me.

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (Ezekial @ Mar 26 2008, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eder's Game?

k.

zears

zears
  • Members
  • 55 posts
ok i work for a book store so i might be a tad overzelious with my list of authors... and i end to mainly read epic fantasy (think lord of the rings) type books / series but here is a few to look into if you are into that sore of thing.

raymond e feist: starts with Magician (my all time fav book) and follows a time line of around 300-400 years so far over a series of about 10-15 books but are all either single book storys or triligys. most are very good.

Terry goodkind: starts with wizards first rule and follows on in one long storyline over about 8-10 books.

katherin kerr: cant remember the first book might be daggerspell, but is a good series that also are all single stories but floe over a time peried of about 500 years with the main characters being reborn over and over and some lasting through many books per life.

anne mccaffery ad later books writen with or also by her son todd: about 15-20 books very easy readong but very interesting and good story plots about a planet with dragons and their riders and the support people that also live on the planet. the first book is called dragon riders of pern i think.

robert jordan: his series wheel of time is about 13 books long and he died hald way though writing the last book about 6 months ago but apparently some other writer has been given all his book notes and was told the plot twits etc. so that they will finish the final book some time late this year or early next. its a good story but is quite long as it is really one big story not many single ones. but still very much worth a look.

robin hobb: assains apprentice is the first book from her and is very good her series is about 10 or 12 books in length. ( not sure as im currently reading it) but it is very good.

david eddings: has many different series all set in different worlds usally they are triligys but has some single books and some that are more than just three books for the full series and is also quite good and worth a look.

lastly i know the movie just came out and you may think the books not worth reading for it anymore but if you have some time and want a small very fast book to read( took me about 6 hours) then have a look at ritchard matthews or matterson( cant remember which) i am legend. it is way better then the movie and the name actually makes sence by then end as opposed to in the movie. it is a tad dated as it was written in the 50's and set in the 70's but is really one of the best reads i have had in the last year or so, and really has a great ending compared to the movie ending.

gah thats a lot more then i planned on writing but there ya go... hope you get into some of them and enjoy

techno-ninja

techno-ninja

Best Newcomer 08!

• Retired Staff
  • 3,765 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:techno ninjacus
i read a lot of fantasy, but if that isn't ur thing it wont be read no matter how much i rave. So instead i say think a good general non fiction book is the interpratation of murder, easy read and familiar characters for all!

Oh and i agree with all of the above books, but far to much effort to quote!

Hoggman

Hoggman
  • Members
  • 373 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Hoggnogg
  • PSN:Hoggman
Dean Koontz writes amazing books, I enjoyed reading "The Husband" icon_smile.gif

Bofonic

Bofonic
  • Members
  • 41 posts
David Wellington "Monster Island" Series.....If you like Zombies that is....otherwise "Troy" by David Gemmell is a good one.

SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro
  • Members
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:music - guitars - games - skegboarding - and music
  • PSN:psypharr
best book... the lyric book for bitanny spears' latest album

'tis a riveting read

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
  • xfire:cipher5006
  • PSN:Kithlan
QUOTE (Hoggman @ Apr 7 2008, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dean Koontz writes amazing books, I enjoyed reading "The Husband" icon_smile.gif

Yeah, but read too many, and it seems to repeat itself.
I guess that's what happens when you seem to have a new book EVERY OTHER FUCKING MONTH.

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

cjboonie

cjboonie

Community Member of The Month - Feb 2008

• GA Lieutenant Colonel
  • 1,052 posts
  • xfire:na
  • Interests:lol'ing.<br />i am a software engineer by trade. study hard kids - it is worth it.
  • Xbox / GFWL:na
  • PSN:na
  • Wii:na
  • Gamer Army ID:2744
  • Company:Pi
Stephen R Donaldson has written some great fantasy novels.
http://www.stephenrdonaldson.com

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever is truly epic, now into its third trilogy.

PPftw
BoL: this game only scrolls in one direction so we have to suck it up and keep moving
QUOTE (rick_2k @ Dec 22 2008, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PP to me is a gift made by some talented guys and gals who like to do it and give us a great quality show for free.

QUOTE (Anthrax704 @ Apr 3 2009, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's out of 1337.

QUOTE (denwO @ Feb 26 2008, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I once saw a guy on tour around my university wearing an uber micro hoodie, so I went to chat to him. He was a complete dick.

QUOTE (lil hades 87 @ Feb 17 2009, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are 3 or 4 people in my school who wear purepwnage shirts.. Sadly, they are mostly retarded :(

QUOTE (ya_ba - re ep16 fanchat @ Mar 31 2008, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not even sure what the answer to my question was lol I was there for 5 minutes to look at Dave and that's about it.

QUOTE (anatomy187 @ May 22 2008, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe it's because I live in <...> and everyone is braindead when it comes to games and computers so when I tell them I'm in a "Gamer Army" they think I'm a fucking genius.
QUOTE (Nestey @ Jun 4 2008, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mmm attention.... yes...we needs it... we wants it precious.....

QUOTE (Jarett @ Aug 7 2009, 03:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's going to kick some serious fucking TV ass.

Champski

Champski
  • Members
  • 1,241 posts
  • xfire:champski
  • Interests:drumming, gaming, lazing around
I'm gonna list all the obvious ones, but only because they're some of my favourites too.

The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown is a very well written book, incorporating a tonne of religious information with a great plot. I found it a tad bit slow going in but after that I could barely put it down. If you can get past some of the religious talk and terms, it's a really great book.

Angels and Demons, also written by Dan Brown, also follows along the same sort of lines as The DaVinci Code, although it isn't so overbearing with the religion and has a bit more of an intriguing plot, imo. Some of the concepts mentioned in the book are quite interesting and I stayed up until 3 in the morning reading this book simply because I continuously wanted to find out what happened next.

Finally, and I'm sure it's been mentioned several times - I saw it listed on the first page already - is The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. The man is simply a sensational author and this series is by far the most compelling, plot thick, mentally stimulating series I have read. I'm half way through Songs of Sussanah at the moment, but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it's filled with stunning visual imagery and such attention to detail that I can just about feel myself moving through each chapter of the story as I read it. The tale is also pushed forward by amazing characters that make the story feel even more real. I started with The Gunslinger at the end of school last year, and when I went on holiday for christmas last year, I went through 4 more, looking for the next installment in bookstores like the series was a drug.

Nestey

Nestey
  • Members
  • 2,515 posts
  • xfire:nestey100fm
  • Interests:Extremely cheesy glam metal and everything related to the 80's.
I would recommend the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan as far as fantasy goes. Intricate storyline, gripping, awesome characters, and very detailed fantasy setting.

If you don't mind your books containing some sexual themes and profanities, the Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. Also a good fantasy series, but as I said: a lot of four-letter words and sex.

I'd also recommend The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. It's perhaps slightly reminiscent of the DaVinci code, but I think it's slightly more detailed and complicated.

Then there's the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, which is just plain awesomeness.

IPB Image

techno-ninja

techno-ninja

Best Newcomer 08!

• Retired Staff
  • 3,765 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:techno ninjacus
QUOTE (Nestey @ May 23 2008, 03:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would recommend the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan as far as fantasy goes. Intricate storyline, gripping, awesome characters, and very detailed fantasy setting.

How would you rate it compared to authors such as Terry Goodkind? I've never read Jordan before so just wanna get a feel of the general writing style

Nestey

Nestey
  • Members
  • 2,515 posts
  • xfire:nestey100fm
  • Interests:Extremely cheesy glam metal and everything related to the 80's.
QUOTE (techno-ninja @ May 23 2008, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How would you rate it compared to authors such as Terry Goodkind? I've never read Jordan before so just wanna get a feel of the general writing style

Well we have a problem here because I've never read Goodkind. I find it flows nicely as far as writing style is concerned and it isn't overly simple like for instance the DaVinci code. Actually the only quarrel I have with the style is that it takes a while for it to grip you. It's all very subdued and slow at the beginnings but once you're hooked you're hooked. That's my experience at any rate.
IPB Image

SN3S

SN3S

Best Newcomer | Best Console Contributor 2007 Rawr:3

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
  • xfire:sn3s
  • Interests:Gaming (Mostly Fighting/Puzzle/Platforming), Comics/Anime, Puttering around with Photoshop, Reading, Listening to Music, <br />Being a Geek, etc...
  • PSN:LucidMomentum
  • Wii:1464476386663937
  • Gamer Army ID:3234
HELP!

I'M BECOMING ILLITERATE!

Well not really, but I just noticed that I haven't read a book since school let out, and I have no clue what to read other than a few classics. And I want something new TBH; but I can't wait until September for the new Republic Commando book.

What I like in a book:

Good plot - Stuff like C.S. Lewis' "the great divorce", or Aldorus Huxley's "Brave New World"; plots that have a bit of meaning to them, but can be far fetched as well (e.g. I am legend, loved that book)

Not overly descriptive - I hate books like this; where I spend half a page reading and I can't tell if he's still describing the scene or if we've begun to actually read what's going on. Light, concise descriptions that get the job done are what I enjoy (Again using Brave New World, or Fahrenheit 451 as examples, as opposed to stuff like The Scarlet Letter)

Identifiable characters - People that contribute to the plot, advance the story, make you think, and you can connect with. Not like those people in romance novels >.>

But I'm up for anything really, I love more down to earth stories, but I loves me some sci-fi, so just toss a suggestion out there and I'll look into it.

QUOTE (Joby @ May 3 2008, 08:13 PM)
We need to find you a girl that doesn't end in .jpeg

noghriassasin

noghriassasin
  • Members
  • 676 posts
  • xfire:superfreak7
Anything written by Isaac Asimov is great for anyone who likes science fiction. Most of his sci-fi books take place in the same universe and they all form this overlying time line. Some of the better stuff is the Foundation series and some of the robot short stories.

SN3S

SN3S

Best Newcomer | Best Console Contributor 2007 Rawr:3

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
  • xfire:sn3s
  • Interests:Gaming (Mostly Fighting/Puzzle/Platforming), Comics/Anime, Puttering around with Photoshop, Reading, Listening to Music, <br />Being a Geek, etc...
  • PSN:LucidMomentum
  • Wii:1464476386663937
  • Gamer Army ID:3234
QUOTE (noghriassasin @ May 28 2008, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anything written by Isaac Asimov is great for anyone who likes science fiction. Most of his sci-fi books take place in the same universe and they all form this overlying time line. Some of the better stuff is the Foundation series and some of the robot short stories.

You know, you're right. Can't believe he didn't come to mind.

I'll have to hit up amazon with my next paycheck pp_smiley4.gif

QUOTE (Joby @ May 3 2008, 08:13 PM)
We need to find you a girl that doesn't end in .jpeg

battlemage03

battlemage03
  • Members
  • 1,333 posts
ANYTHING from James Clavell, especially his Asian Saga - Shogun, Tai-Pan, Gai-Jin, King Rat, etc. They are just pure win, James Clavell FTW (that pretty much gives you an idea of their epicness, go check them out in Wikipedia or something if you're interested)!

Lisa!

Lisa!
  • GA Private
  • 1,442 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:3969
Jim Giraffe
By, Daren King

It's about a ghost giraffe that comes back and gives sex advice to this guy. And wears his underwear on his head. I think it speaks for itself.

Confessions of a Flesh-Eater
By, David Madsen

Disturbing. icon_smile.gif I'm kind of sick so I loved it. mmm, cannibalistic chefs.

I agree with the James Clavell reccomendation - that guy is amazing.

VulgaritySocks

VulgaritySocks

Second only to DougHChrist! | Wisest Poster 08

• Members
  • 4,423 posts
  • xfire:h00nestr00b
  • Interests:Defenestration, interpretive dance...<br />Dreadlocks?<br /><br />This is stupid.
Hmm... anything by: Charles Bukowski, Kurt Vonnegut, Hemingway, Hunter. S. Thompson or Ken Kesey.
Yes I mean anything. They're all 100 percent authors. They knew exactly what to say and how to say it. So read them.

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
  • xfire:eedok
  • Interests:qqq
  • Steam ID:eedok
  • Xbox / GFWL:eedok
  • Wii:3394-3242-5681
  • Gamer Army ID:1176
if you're into stories about game developers, check out Masters of Doom

TheShinobi

TheShinobi
  • Members
  • 30 posts
  • xfire:shinobi666
  • Xbox / GFWL:Scipio Aemilius
Not sure if it's been mentioned and I'm far to lazy to search but I'm gonna recommend "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.

One of my favourite books evar.

Edit: Damn it it's been mentioned numerous times >=/

Oh well, I'm gonna throw in the "Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R. R. Martin...regardless if it's been mentioned or not already. >=/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users