Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Purchasing a handheld console..

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

KuRRopT

KuRRopT
  • Members
  • 384 posts
  • xfire:pzycho112
  • Xbox / GFWL:KuRRopT
  • PSN:QuakeLive: KuRRopT
A'ight this is not meant to be some flamewar, so keep down will ya?

So, it's my birthday soon, and I've been considering putting a handheld console on my wishlist. But I'm not really sure about what I should write. DS or PSP? A friend of mine owns a PSP, and I can only say that it's a hell of a lot of fun playing it. On the other hand, I have never seen a real DS before, and therefore I have no experience with it. Some say the DS is more fun, but is that in fact true?

I'm planning on getting as much out of it and I'm not really willing to spend too much on games, so I have a few questions:

Mods 'n' stuff:

What possibilities does each of them offer? I've tried some sort of SNES mod on the PSP, which was pretty awesome, but what does the DS offer?

Piracy:

As mentioned, I'm not going to spend a lot of money on games, so I want to know a little about the possibilities around piracy of games.

Games:

I haven't played that many PSP games, but there is a few titles that have caught my interest. The DS games doesn't really appeal overall that much to me, that is of those I've checked on the internet.

Online play:

As far as I know the DS offers online play, but is this a thing that people use, and how well does it work? Same goes for the PSP ofc.

I'd be really grateful to get a few answers. In advance, thanks.

Pwning is my business, and business is GOOD!

Rljohn

Rljohn
  • Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • xfire:rljohn
  • Xbox / GFWL:rljohn
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:4945597007048201
QUOTE (KuRRopT @ Feb 23 2008, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A'ight this is not meant to be some flamewar, so keep down will ya?

So, it's my birthday soon, and I've been considering putting a handheld console on my wishlist. But I'm not really sure about what I should write. DS or PSP? A friend of mine owns a PSP, and I can only say that it's a hell of a lot of fun playing it. On the other hand, I have never seen a real DS before, and therefore I have no experience with it. Some say the DS is more fun, but is that in fact true?

I'm planning on getting as much out of it and I'm not really willing to spend too much on games, so I have a few questions:

Mods 'n' stuff:

What possibilities does each of them offer? I've tried some sort of SNES mod on the PSP, which was pretty awesome, but what does the DS offer?

Piracy:

As mentioned, I'm not going to spend a lot of money on games, so I want to know a little about the possibilities around piracy of games.

Games:

I haven't played that many PSP games, but there is a few titles that have caught my interest. The DS games doesn't really appeal overall that much to me, that is of those I've checked on the internet.

Online play:

As far as I know the DS offers online play, but is this a thing that people use, and how well does it work? Same goes for the PSP ofc.

I'd be really grateful to get a few answers. In advance, thanks.

The DS has BY-FAR the best library of games available. PSP games <<<<<<< DS games.

If you are a cheapie for games, definitely pick up a DS flash card, like the R4 Revolution. I'm personanlly using an older flash card, the G6 (2 gigabytes of data, 16 Gb). I can play MP3's, converted movies, SNES, GBA, Gameboy, and of course, pirated DS games. I also run DS Linux and DSOrganize and BeUP, which gives me acces to MSN Messenger, an IRC client, telnet, and a simple web browser.

The DS has better battery life, better games, better homebrew, cheaper price, and basically...its pure pwnage =)
Oh, and the online is pretty good too. Random matches are fine, friends play with friends code.

Spadge

Spadge
  • GA Private
  • 585 posts
  • xfire:spadge
  • Interests:crap, tbh
  • Xbox / GFWL:Ninja Gerald
  • Wii:a huge number
  • Gamer Army ID:2764

Loads of people now have a DS. this is especially awesome because of Massive download play games. 8-player bomberman and 10-player tetris just owns.

notto mention the games library on DS is fucking amazing. If you filter out the crap, theres some incredible games.

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
I find that the DS has a much better library, as has been said, for pretty much any taste.
The homebrew scene is also pretty good, if that matters to you.

IPB Image

Jengerer

Jengerer

2009 Softest Hair Winner & Best Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
  • xfire:Jengerer
  • Interests:Video games. Who knew?
  • Steam ID:Jengerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:4485
Just by the word "console" in your topic name, I'd say DS. It's an amazing system, that, although lacks the hardware power that the PSP has, contains an super-awesome game library. If you want a handheld that has different kinds of media, and you like watching movies and stuff more than games (you're insane), then get a PSP, but if you really want great multiplayer gameplay and just awesome games, get the DS!

DS OWNS!

Guest_Myren_*

Guest_Myren_*
  • Guests
PSP is a powerful device with a lot of potential, are they using that potential? Not at all. DS is the best handheld device.

Gh05t

Gh05t
  • GA Corporal
  • 110 posts
  • xfire:defiledangel
  • Wii:3256708122971860
  • Gamer Army ID:2085
  • Company:Gamma
DS all the way :-)
It's quite simple to get ahold of cartridges to upload homebrew/obviously legally back up games *whistles* to so you can play them on a DS icon_wink.gif
<insert witty signature here>

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
i can not say how, but i payed under 200 dollars total and i can play any ds game ever released and i have about 20 to 30 of them on one cart at any given time.

Rly

Rly
  • GA Private
  • 84 posts
  • xfire:1neverknows
  • PSN:Rly-Mays
  • Wii:0596553690492560
  • Gamer Army ID:3437
  • Company:Bravo
I would buy a DS. PSP does have some cool features if you're going to take the time to mod it, like PS1 games and SNES emulators for when you get bored of the 3 good PSP games, not really worth it right away. Buy a DS first. Followed by PSP.

Infernoblaze

Infernoblaze
  • Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • xfire:infernoblaze
  • Interests:RTS, FPS, Basketball, badminton, tennis, smash bros, TF2, L4D
  • Steam ID:=[DC]= Inferno
  • Xbox / GFWL:Skorbat
  • Wii:1761398045461017
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Feb 24 2008, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i can not say how, but i payed under 200 dollars total and i can play any ds game ever released and i have about 20 to 30 of them on one cart at any given time.

I believe that the way how is known as "contributing to harming the gaming industry"

KuroFalcon

KuroFalcon

Best Overall Poster 08

• GA Corporal
  • 7,232 posts
  • Steam ID:Winzx12
  • Gamer Army ID:2992
  • Company:Pi
I don't want to start bashing any consoles so Ima just say go for a ds the games use the features nicely.

QUOTE (Mares @ Aug 22 2008, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
kuro is MY LOVABOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (Infernoblaze @ Feb 23 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe that the way how is known as "contributing to harming the gaming industry"

actually, i buy the games i like such as zelda or advance wars icon_smile.gif

m3ds

m3ds
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,482 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:2994
The PSP does have some cool titles like Crush and Loco Roco, but the DS's game library just has so much more to offer that it's impossible to recommend the PSP over the DS.

talok iv

talok iv
  • GA Private
  • 1,173 posts
  • xfire:talokiv
  • Interests:The 3 G's: Gaming, Guitar, Girls.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Talok IV
  • Wii:1167180059041566
  • Gamer Army ID:3486
QUOTE (m3ds @ Feb 24 2008, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The PSP does have some cool titles like Crush and Loco Roco, but the DS's game library just has so much more to offer that it's impossible to recommend the PSP over the DS.

True, the DS now has complete library dominance over PSP, and way better multiplayer opportunities.

I mistakenly bought a PSP over a DS back when both first came out. I bought it because I really didn't like the selection of games the DS had at the time and wasn't thinking about the future. Buying it over the DS was probably the worst gaming decision I've ever made.

TBH, the only thing I ever use my PSP for now is for the internet browser whenever I'm not near my desktop.

People say that if you hack into your PSP you can really utilize all the features of it and make it a lot better, but meh.

When they come out with the new(er) version of the DS (which I hope will come f**king soon) I'm definitely going to pick it up... if I can wait that long.

KuRRopT

KuRRopT
  • Members
  • 384 posts
Hmmm, you all mention that the DS has some awesome games, but the only games that have really caught my attention is Zelda, Mario Kart and Tetris DS.. What other good games is out on the DS?

Infernoblaze

Infernoblaze
  • Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • xfire:infernoblaze
  • Interests:RTS, FPS, Basketball, badminton, tennis, smash bros, TF2, L4D
  • Steam ID:=[DC]= Inferno
  • Xbox / GFWL:Skorbat
  • Wii:1761398045461017
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Feb 24 2008, 02:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
actually, i buy the games i like such as zelda or advance wars icon_smile.gif

k.

QUOTE (KuRRopT @ Feb 24 2008, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm, you all mention that the DS has some awesome games, but the only games that have really caught my attention is Zelda, Mario Kart and Tetris DS.. What other good games is out on the DS?

Mario & Luigi Partners In Time
New Super Mario Bros
Metroid Prime Hunters
Mario 64 DS
Kirby paintbrush summin
Advance Wars (Amazing game)

are a few.

melonqueen

melonqueen

Slayer of Bees

• Retired Staff
  • 2,881 posts
  • xfire:melonqueen
  • Interests:Gaming, web design, baking/cooking, drinking, Melons
  • Xbox / GFWL:melonqueen
  • Wii:0205097351995318
  • Gamer Army ID:148
  • Company:Pi
Definitely go with the DS over the PSP. I own both and my DS gets so much more usage than the PSP.

Game others than Zelda, Mario Kart and Tetris DS? For the sheer simplicity and a bit of fun, I enjoy Cooking Mama, especially because I love being able to use the touch screen to do everything. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney is pretty good if you don't mind sitting through a lot of dialogue, but it does make you think a lot. Super Mario 64 DS was ok, but I preferred the mini games over the actual full game. My ex has New Super Mario Bros and he said it was better. I also have The Urbz, but I wouldn't really recommend it. It's just like having an advanced form of tamagotchi. Plus the latest Harry Potter games DS version sucks. I played it for 5 mins and hated it.
My Blog - The Retro Cook

grimm

grimm
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • xfire:xgrimmx
  • Interests:Counter Strike, Anime, Movies, Music (Metal and Rock FTW), and of course Pure Pwnage.
  • Wii:Be up soon!
If you are gonna go down the path of piracy go with the DS (not condoning btw XD). The PSP has an MUCH higher rate of bricking than the DS. To mod the PSP requires some sort of battery hack I think and if you dont know someone who has a.)already done it or b.)knows what they are doing chances are you will end up with a very expensive brick (2 of my friends have felt this pain) albeit the DS requires a bit of extra moolah and cant play movies but meh.

I have a DS and actually wish I had a PSP (BLASPHEMY, SHOCK HORROR!) Firstly because the R button on mine is already broken >.> and secondly because most of my friends have PSP's and it sucks having to borrow someones PSP to play a good game of tekken (wi-fi of course icon_biggrin.gif)

Although I have to say Zelda : Phantom Hourglass alone almost made it worth getting the DS and with Metal Slug 7 coming soon im very happy.

As for mods there is quite a thriving DS homebrew community. You have NES, SNES etc. emulators for the DS (although very few work well. Even SnemulDS has a few issues.) But you can get Bebo(i think not actually sure what its called) which is MSN for DS but perhaps the greatest (in my eyes) is ComicDS which allows you to read manga on a DS (really is great) although requires you to convert files first. Also has a crappy media player that plays .dpg files but they are really bad quality so Ive rarely used it.

BUT if your willing to risk getting the PSP bricked iv heard there are some working PSone emulators (although my friend has only shown me FFIX) and FF : Advent core looks simply amazing.

KuRRopT

KuRRopT
  • Members
  • 384 posts
QUOTE (grimm @ Feb 24 2008, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are gonna go down the path of piracy go with the DS (not condoning btw XD). The PSP has an MUCH higher rate of bricking than the DS. To mod the PSP requires some sort of battery hack I think and if you dont know someone who has a.)already done it or b.)knows what they are doing chances are you will end up with a very expensive brick (2 of my friends have felt this pain) albeit the DS requires a bit of extra moolah and cant play movies but meh.

I have a DS and actually wish I had a PSP (BLASPHEMY, SHOCK HORROR!) Firstly because the R button on mine is already broken >.> and secondly because most of my friends have PSP's and it sucks having to borrow someones PSP to play a good game of tekken (wi-fi of course icon_biggrin.gif)

Although I have to say Zelda : Phantom Hourglass alone almost made it worth getting the DS and with Metal Slug 7 coming soon im very happy.

As for mods there is quite a thriving DS homebrew community. You have NES, SNES etc. emulators for the DS (although very few work well. Even SnemulDS has a few issues.) But you can get Bebo(i think not actually sure what its called) which is MSN for DS but perhaps the greatest (in my eyes) is ComicDS which allows you to read manga on a DS (really is great) although requires you to convert files first. Also has a crappy media player that plays .dpg files but they are really bad quality so Ive rarely used it.

BUT if your willing to risk getting the PSP bricked iv heard there are some working PSone emulators (although my friend has only shown me FFIX) and FF : Advent core looks simply amazing.

My mate has hacked quite a few PSP's and has promised to hack mine if I should get one, so no problem there.

ElShmiablo

ElShmiablo
  • Members
  • 319 posts
  • PSN:ElShmiablo
  • Wii:7294155219718121
If you're going for a handheld that you want to hack and play roms on, etc etc etc, go for the PSP.
Personally, I sold my DS a few weeks ago and got a PSP because I hadn't touched my DS at all since Pokemon Diamond came out.
Plus it's actually got a half decent library.
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (It's got Symphony of the Night as an easter egg. 'Nuff said.)
Patapon (Awesome little rhythm based RTS type base defense game.)
Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins (Best version of the most masochistic game ever)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lion
Jean D'Arc
Disgaea
Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection
Power Stone Collection (Hope you enjoy squinting though.)
Killzone Liberation (If only the first Killzone was this good. Top down shoottout isometricy goodness)
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Socom: Fireteam Bravo 2
Gradius Collection
Wipeout Pulse
GTA: Vice City and Liberty City Stories
Lumines 2
Armored Core: Formula Front
Burnout Dominator
Exit
Mercury
Me and My Katamari
Crush (Think Super Paper Mario/Fez style gameplay as a puzzle game)
Ace Combat X
Every Extend Extra
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
Secret Agent Clank
Loco Roco
Parappa the Rapper
Valkyrie Profile
Guilty Gear Judgment
DJ Max Portable 2
WTF: Work Time Fun (Think Wario Ware)
Gitaroo Man Lives!
Gripshift
Megaman: Maverick Hunter X
Megaman: Powered Up

Any of the Capcom, Sega, or SNK collections

So all that stuff, plus NES, SNES, N64, PSX etc etc etc emulators..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users