Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Purchasing a handheld console..

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Infernoblaze

Infernoblaze
  • Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • xfire:infernoblaze
  • Interests:RTS, FPS, Basketball, badminton, tennis, smash bros, TF2, L4D
  • Steam ID:=[DC]= Inferno
  • Xbox / GFWL:Skorbat
  • Wii:1761398045461017
The DS is a FAR better games system with a much better library and it's great for multiplayer with friends but if you're determined to be a douche and pirate the shit out of everything then I suppose the PSP is what you'd want, that's all It's good for, I had one but sold it after it pissed me off too much.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (ElShmiablo @ Feb 24 2008, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (It's got Symphony of the Night as an easter egg. 'Nuff said.)

now this is a moot point for the conversation - but it isnt an easter egg. an easter egg it something that is in the game, that is hard to fine, and serves absolutely no purpose. for example, the easter egg in vice city is an easter egg in one of the buildings. its just there. it does nothing and the room does nothing. in halo 3, there are monkey people on the first level.

that said, i find advance wars days of ruin to be worth the price of a DS by itself. its that amazing of a game (imo)....(and note that your opinion likely isnt mine).

Infernoblaze

Infernoblaze
  • Members
  • 3,066 posts
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Feb 24 2008, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
now this is a moot point for the conversation - but it isnt an easter egg. an easter egg it something that is in the game, that is hard to fine, and serves absolutely no purpose. for example, the easter egg in vice city is an easter egg in one of the buildings. its just there. it does nothing and the room does nothing. in halo 3, there are monkey people on the first level.

that said, i find advance wars days of ruin to be worth the price of a DS by itself. its that amazing of a game (imo)....(and note that your opinion likely isnt mine).

Easter eggs are hidden secrets, they're not just "things that are there" that could be anything. They're usually references to something or some other game the devs liked or they are just easter eggs because it's a stupid sort of pun.

Advance wars is easily my most liked DS game I've bought so far, easily tops mario kart.

killer_rabbit79

killer_rabbit79
  • GA Private
  • 1,570 posts
  • xfire:killerrabbit79
  • Interests:gaming, technology, neuroscience, philosophy
  • Xbox / GFWL:killer rabbit79
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:0167122459070060
  • Gamer Army ID:1640
I haven't played my DS in a while but I doubt I'd play a PSP as often if I had one. My one friend has a PSP and he only listens to music and watches shows and movies on it. He's got one or two games but that wasn't the main point of getting it for him. Most of my other friends have DSs and we used to play multiplayer games with each other constantly. That was actually the main reason I got my DS but now we don't play together because we all have different class schedules.

Basically, if you have a lot of friends with DSs, then that's more than enough of a reason to get one because the most fun you will have on a DS is with your friends when you are all in the same room playing the same game together. Other than that, I haven't really played my DS much at all and I'd rather play on my PC or consoles.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (Infernoblaze @ Feb 24 2008, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Easter eggs are hidden secrets, they're not just "things that are there" that could be anything. They're usually references to something or some other game the devs liked or they are just easter eggs because it's a stupid sort of pun.

ya, thats basically what i said. i didnt say "things that are there." in my own quote i said "hard to find."

we should play some advance wars sometime (pm me your ds number). ive beaten SN3S a few times, but its usually pretty close(he usually lags out before its over, but i tend to have a pretty strong grasp on the map before he does)

Infernoblaze

Infernoblaze
  • Members
  • 3,066 posts
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Feb 24 2008, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ya, thats basically what i said. i didnt say "things that are there." in my own quote i said "hard to find."

Well you said they serve no purpose, which could be a number of things in games, easter eggs have a purpose of humour and acknowledgements of other games/things. Sure I'll pm you my number some time, I'm just enjoying the campaign atm.

MegamanXZero

MegamanXZero
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,462 posts
  • xfire:MegamanXLanDarkZero
  • Interests:Gaming, Megaman, Anime, Movies, Cars, Megaman, Soccer, Martial Arts, hmmz.... ow and did I mention Megaman ??
  • Xbox / GFWL:MegamanXLanZero
  • PSN:MegamanXZero
  • Wii:3375446218493519
  • Gamer Army ID:924
  • Company:Mu
QUOTE (ElShmiablo @ Feb 24 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Megaman: Maverick Hunter X
Megaman: Powered Up

Any of the Capcom, Sega, or SNK collections

I'm glad you added those icon_razz.gif

ElShmiablo

ElShmiablo
  • Members
  • 319 posts
  • PSN:ElShmiablo
  • Wii:7294155219718121
About SotN being an easter egg. In order to get it you have to get to a secret area of the game by falling down a pit that would normally kill you. That is why I said it's an easter egg.

QUOTE (MegamanXLanDarkZero @ Feb 24 2008, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm glad you added those icon_razz.gif

You a Mega-Man fan or something? icon_razz.gif

MegamanXZero

MegamanXZero
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,462 posts
  • xfire:MegamanXLanDarkZero
  • Interests:Gaming, Megaman, Anime, Movies, Cars, Megaman, Soccer, Martial Arts, hmmz.... ow and did I mention Megaman ??
  • Xbox / GFWL:MegamanXLanZero
  • PSN:MegamanXZero
  • Wii:3375446218493519
  • Gamer Army ID:924
  • Company:Mu
Maybe >.>
And if I was, how'd you know ?? <.<

KuroFalcon

KuroFalcon

Best Overall Poster 08

• GA Corporal
  • 7,232 posts
  • Steam ID:Winzx12
  • Gamer Army ID:2992
  • Company:Pi
QUOTE (MegamanXLanDarkZero @ Feb 26 2008, 02:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe >.>
And if I was, how'd you know ?? <.<

Lucky guess.

QUOTE (Mares @ Aug 22 2008, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
kuro is MY LOVABOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-cb_32-

-cb_32-
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,861 posts
  • Interests:Skype: sweank
  • Xbox / GFWL:< PS3
  • PSN:cb_32
  • Gamer Army ID:2372
  • Company:Bravo
PSP Here is Why:

(from the playstation blog)

God of War PSP Entertainment Pack
In June, a new PSP Entertainment Pack will be hitting stores, featuring the famous face of the Ghost of Sparta — Kratos. Here’s what you get in the bundle, which will be available for $199.99 (MSRP):

* Limited-Edition “Deep Red” PSP with Kratos silkscreened on the back
* God of War: Chains of Olympus
* Superbad on UMD video
* Voucher to download Syphon Filter: Combat Ops from PLAYSTATION Store for free

God of War: Chains of Olympus still arrives for PSP on March 4, 2008.

Pics:

You are paying 200 bucks for a device that can play music, videos(at 720p) and great games. Also you get a free movie, that is actually amazing AND free Syphon FIlter.
RIP: Troy Dixon

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • xfire:molimo140
  • Steam ID:steamacct002
  • Xbox / GFWL:molimo140
  • PSN:molimo140
I have both.

The PSP is a more powerful handheld from a hardware point of view. It can emulate any console up to and including (albeit slowly) N64. It can play converted PSX games which is a great feature.

It has a GORGEOUS screen. I have never seen a better looking screen of its size before. Movies are actually not painful to watch on it. Its built in browser is decent, I prefer it over the DS browser actually.

It has a fantastic homebrew scene, I would place its homebrew capabilities far above that of the DS. Furthermore, homebrew does NOT require the purchase of any exclusive hardware.

That being said, the PSP's games aren't terribly fantastic, but there are some good ones.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The DS is more portable, it is lighter and I think nicer to look at. Its games are MUCH better in general than the PSPs. The touch screen is nice, however not too many games really take full advantage of it in my opinion.

I have an R4 revolution which enables the ability to play DS roms as well as mp3s and converted video. Video look like garbage on the DS, I can hardly stand it though that's not what I bought it for.

Its ability to play GBA games is nice. I have quite a few GBA cartridges so it's a nice feaure, though I really dislike how they stick out the bottom of the DS lite..

The homebrew available for the DS is of a much tighter spectrum than the PSP, not to mention the DS's limited hardware capabilities.

----------

Overall I'd say it's all a matter of preference. If emulation and homebrew are your thing, I'd say get a PSP. If you're more into handheld specific games and prefer a lighter burden on your pocket, I'd say get a DS. I'd have to place them pretty evenly in my mind, so it's all up to you..

One more thing - If you do decide to get a PSP, be careful when messing with homebrew and general customization. It's not terribly difficult to brick it and render it useless. That being said, it is possible to rescue a PSP from being bricked without having to send it back to Sony, but it's simply a hassle you don't want to have to go through.

Matas

Matas

SQUAD ONE - Team Member

• Members
  • 1,993 posts
  • Interests:Science <br />Music<br />poontang clan aint nothin to fuck with
I've had my DS Lite for a year and a half and I've been using it everyday since. I've had a PSP for slightly less time and sold it cause I never used it.

DS has much more active gaming community than PSP, homebrew is teh sex and the use of the flashcard just makes this system incredibly amazing. It's less powerful than the PSP, but you get so much more out of it than the PSP.

However, you seem to allready prefer PSP over DS. Do what you gotta do man; after reading everyone's opinions, just go with your gut feeling and no regrets. If you're not happy with your purchase you can sell whatever you got, and try your luck with the other.
Freshly Cut - www.myspace.com/freshlycutmusic

Rljohn

Rljohn
  • Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • xfire:rljohn
  • Xbox / GFWL:rljohn
  • Wii:4945597007048201
QUOTE (-cb_32- @ Feb 27 2008, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
* Limited-Edition “Deep Red” PSP with Kratos silkscreened on the back
* God of War: Chains of Olympus
* Superbad on UMD video
* Voucher to download Syphon Filter: Combat Ops from PLAYSTATION Store for free

God of War: Chains of Olympus still arrives for PSP on March 4, 2008.[/i]

You are paying 200 bucks for a device that can play music, videos(at 720p) and great games. Also you get a free movie, that is actually amazing AND free Syphon FIlter.

#1) UMD movies are dead
#2) Everyone and their mom has an MP3 player, and I'd rather my MP3 player not be the size of a mofuckin brick.
#3) A bright red gaming device is ugly as sin.
#4) Give me a list of 20 games for the PSP that are worth owning. Because I can do that for the DS.

Infernoblaze

Infernoblaze
  • Members
  • 3,066 posts
QUOTE (Rljohn @ Feb 28 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
#2) Everyone and their mom has an MP3 player, and I'd rather my MP3 player not be the size of a mofuckin brick.

No really that but it's the fact that the outloud sound quality is absolute shit and horribly tinny and when you stick in the headphones that come with machine the volume drops by half making it inaudible if you're walking past a road.

Rljohn

Rljohn
  • Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • xfire:rljohn
  • Xbox / GFWL:rljohn
  • Wii:4945597007048201
QUOTE (Infernoblaze @ Feb 28 2008, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No really that but it's the fact that the outloud sound quality is absolute shit and horribly tinny and when you stick in the headphones that come with machine the volume drops by half making it inaudible if you're walking past a road.

Roads are loud, mmkay?

Infernoblaze

Infernoblaze
  • Members
  • 3,066 posts
QUOTE (Rljohn @ Feb 28 2008, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Roads are loud, mmkay?

headphones should be louder mmmmkay?

Seriously like 1 car driving past on the far side of a road and I can't hear shit, it was quite enough without any background noise.

Matas

Matas

SQUAD ONE - Team Member

• Members
  • 1,993 posts
  • Interests:Science <br />Music<br />poontang clan aint nothin to fuck with
Lol, it's that bad eh? Wow then good luck listening on the bus. I can't live without listening to my tunes on the bus
Freshly Cut - www.myspace.com/freshlycutmusic

ElShmiablo

ElShmiablo
  • Members
  • 319 posts
  • PSN:ElShmiablo
  • Wii:7294155219718121
I've had no problem listening to my PSP with noise in the background.
Was listening to some music on it on the bus yesterday and I heard everything fine.
And honestly, these are some pretty ridiculous reasons to pick on a handheld.
OLOL FORMAT DEAD DAT MEENZ DA GAMES SUK
OLOL RED HANDHELD GAY EVEN THO NINTENDO HAS HAD A RED DS FOR A WHILE NOW

Oh, and as for listing 20 good games for the PSP, John, I listed about 40 on the first page.

grimm

grimm
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • xfire:xgrimmx
  • Interests:Counter Strike, Anime, Movies, Music (Metal and Rock FTW), and of course Pure Pwnage.
  • Wii:Be up soon!
Perhaps your headphones suck? I had that problem with my iRiver until I got a better set of headphones. Now everything sounds fine icon_biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users