Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Televised e-sports in 2008

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

BertL

BertL
  • Members
  • 780 posts
QUOTE (VyzhiS @ Feb 24 2008, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I think that the only games that could be fun to watch as competitive games are RTS and Fighting games. I myself have little to no experience with fighting games, however I can imagine them as eSports, especially Super Smash. However, and I know I'm pretty much offending a lot of people by saying this because it's like the national genre (both in US as in Canada), FPS' are boring to watch. Like seriously all you see is 1 guy at a time, shooting another guy while seeing the top right screen where other people die at the same time. Don't get me wrong, FPS do take skill to some extent, but it's a ridiculous genre to watch. Personally, I would go ahead and praise StarCraft on this post, like some sort of essay on why it's simply, amazing, and don't get me wrong I'm not praising it because Jarett gave a shoutout to Nick Plott (WOOT WOOT TASTELESS HWAITING) but really the only reason I'm not going to preach on why StarCarft is such a good game is because not a lot of people, at least in North America, can relate to it. The game is dead on a general view, not competitive. People in America just play it for it's fun UMS and BGH/Fastest nooblike ways =D. Competitively, it's the strongest game out there. But the reason why eSports in America seem a failure to people here, is that some on this forum that actually play games and understand to SOME extent the difficulty, can't relate to these non-skill games. Personally I think the lineup these leagues have will be EXTREMELY successful BECAUSE so many people , n00bs, can relate to them. Everyone stopped playing StarCraft A LONG TIME AGO and that is why it will never be famous amongst the general population, because everyone is going to be stereotypical about graphics and that the game is old wtf? It shames me to see these games because, lets say parents watch these games on TV and go like wtf, why would people dedicate their lives to this, then the whole eSports scene will be viewed as a no life scene. Personally, I rather them saying wtf why would people dedicate their lives to StarCraft, because I know that they are complete idiots and stereotypes, than saying the truth on, why would people dedicate their lives to halo3 , WoW , gears of war -- (ROFL). I'm sorry it's kind of difficult for me to express myself because it's a really touching issue to me. I think that I wouldn't be a gamer if I wasn't playing StarCraft. I find that StarCraft is game that, if you are good at it, you can truly be proud of yourself. If you see all those Professional StarCraft players, you can truly sense their sense of pride because it is such a difficult game and takes so much perseverance, so much will and so much determination to get good at. Basically I would of been spending my time differently if StarCraft wasn't around and I truly find it a shame that some leagues call themselves eSports leagues without having the true essence of eSports which is StarCraft. But I guess it isn't their fault because they wouldn't invest money on something that wouldn't generate money since so many people don't care about StarCraft. If the korean public wouldn't of cared about that game as they do, then StarCraft wouldn't of been as big as it is.

So anyway I feel like I have written a bit too much and it's probably not coherent because I suck at expressing myself =D, but I hope it makes you think and you don't see me as a SC preacher =]. If you want to talk to me about it, I don't mind PM me because I am more than happy about sharing my view of eSports in a normal conversation rather than writing it all in one big post =]. Anyway guys nice read take it ez don't be noobs =D peace

Welcome, VyzhiS. Paragraphs are your friend.
Spread the Love!
POO

daarkside

daarkside
  • Members
  • 8 posts
QUOTE (Jarett @ Feb 17 2008, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Two of the four games are merely simulations of real-life counterparts, and are never going to gain mainstream spectator interest for that reason. We don't need to watch simpler, polygon versions of sports that have been around for years.

HOW true, i hear the esports league representetives telling the same story ever and every again if they speak to the so called "hardcore gaming community"

they pic those games to atract casual players to the whole esports thing and to make the epsorts culture growing faster( like u mention above, esports need ALOT of players and viewers to become a mainstream sport)

personlaly i cant see that happen, cuz the games will always less interesting than the true real sport

There's also the CPL Sierra World Marketing Tour. For brevity though I'm restricting the scope of this post to leagues currently broadcasting on TV.

^^

As an oldskool hardcore gamer who's been dreaming of mainstream competitive e-sports in North America for the last 20 years, I expected something more... relevant. I assumed they would generally contain a variety of genres and platforms that test more than just the narrow skill-set FPS does, or have games selected based on their natural competitive community growth instead of 720p compatible broadcast resolution and/or publisher funding. "Real" sports, like football, hockey, or baseball, aren't where they are because they broadcast well in HD, or fit a convenient TV time-slot. Their popularity grew organically over time because more people loved playing them and watching them be played than the alternatives. You can't force a sport's adoption on the mainstream, all you can do is usher along its natural growth. Unless we want pro gaming to ultimately be the next beach volleyball, where the tiny audience is there less for the sport and more for the eye-candy, someone needs to step up and either choose the games that naturally work well as e-sports, or develop games from the ground up with that intention. Fun to play, fun to spectate, and with a skill-depth that takes a lifetime to master. I mention StarCraft frequently because I think it's the perfect example of an e-sport evolving naturally in a culture, with televised play being the result of the sport's popularity and not the other way around. CS1.6 is also a great example of a massively popular competitive game that is huge on its gameplay merit alone. Neither of them will ever meet modern western broadcasting standards.

Fortunately televised e-sports development this year isn't entirely sour for me. The news of Tasteless' move to South Korea where he'll be shoutcasting pro StarCraft matches in English had me micro-dancing with joy in my living room.

now to the less friendly part of my comment

how can u speak about esports at its best, mention starcraft and even testeless in ur article and posting EA commercial only few days latter?

i just cant see how ur(its pretty much also my) sight of esports and CC3 kw fits together

PLS help me to understand that, i REALY REALY want

and dont forget to watch the semifinals, they are starting in 2 hours
http://gsi.gomtv.com/match/
http://gsi.gomtv.com/live/

sc2 will be one of these games, which will be developed to be the BIGGEST esports titel ever with a real chance to bring the western esprts into the mainstream television

lordXblade

lordXblade
  • Members
  • 3 posts
For those that think games aren't fun to watch, take a look at Daigo's Full Parry and JWong's Cyclops comeback. Anyone could understand someone being at a sliver of health, countering his opponents ridiculous and crazy move, and winning with a ridiculous move of his own. Anyone can understand one character taking down 3, and besides, Marvel and 3s are way too hype to not be good TV material. I would also refer you to Azen's comeback at MLG last year for melee, but there's no short snippet of that I can show.

These are the games built for high level play, and they are more than exciting enough to be broadcast on television. What prevents it from happening? Well, I'm still trying to find a real answer for that, since, judging by the energy during both those performances, age of the games clearly is not an issue.

a Teddy Bear

a Teddy Bear
  • GA Corporal
  • 376 posts
  • xfire:ateddybear10
  • PSN:aTeddyBear
  • Gamer Army ID:515
pure pwnage shoutout: http://www.gomtv.net/classic/vod/86

tasteless knows you watch, show some mutual respect and have more sc in your eps plz

saxXtreme

saxXtreme
  • Members
  • 10 posts
Couldn't agree more. Console FPS is a terrible gaming experience. I'm disappointed that many pro-gaming leagues focus on FPS, trying to push it to the front of gamers minds. I still get excited when I meet someone that plays RTS, because it seems that those of us who are a fan of "pure" Strategy games are few and far between. I know I'm a little late, just trying to get caught up.

Ethoma

Ethoma
  • Members
  • 6 posts
You should try WolfTeam its a free FPS

just google it the only problem with it is that it is extremely slow at updating

BLaZinG FurY

BLaZinG FurY
  • GA Private
  • 348 posts
  • xfire:BBBLaZinGFurYYY
  • Interests:My friends.<br />My games.<br />My music.<br />My band.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />...and Laser tag...that's always important :]
  • Steam ID:MLG_BLaZinG_FurY
  • Xbox / GFWL:BBBLaZinGFurYYY
  • Gamer Army ID:3815
QUOTE (captcollins @ Feb 17 2008, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, mlg probably has the most dedicated gamers alive. Espeically in the halo 3 category. The amount str8 rippon and final boss practice is really amazing, i couldnt do it if i tried.

They ARE EXTREMELY dedicated but I don't doubt for a second that competitors in other games and leagues are about as dedicated.

TBH, ALOT of the kids in MLG that i used compete against are total douchebags.

Oh! and i think MLG is picking up Starcraft 2....
so its not ALL bad...
QUOTE (OctoberPPTV @ Mar 13 2010, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And erm, Blazing Fury. I think I love you.

Bl!ndf!re

Bl!ndf!re
  • Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • xfire:tehlickerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
nice necro

QUOTE (Husky @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A couple of Mutas softened up to the red, a couple of other Mutas softened up to the black, cause they're dead.

QUOTE (slartibartfast of earth @ Sep 28 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ps my disablity in my hands makes my typing crap sry

QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd hit it tbh. Especially if it's dead.

BLaZinG FurY

BLaZinG FurY
  • GA Private
  • 348 posts
  • xfire:BBBLaZinGFurYYY
  • Interests:My friends.<br />My games.<br />My music.<br />My band.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />...and Laser tag...that's always important :]
  • Steam ID:MLG_BLaZinG_FurY
  • Xbox / GFWL:BBBLaZinGFurYYY
  • Gamer Army ID:3815
thank you :]
QUOTE (OctoberPPTV @ Mar 13 2010, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And erm, Blazing Fury. I think I love you.

reaper234

reaper234
  • GA Sergeant
  • 974 posts
  • xfire:reaper211
  • Interests:Games, lol
  • Steam ID:majortom26
  • Xbox / GFWL:The Weatherman1
  • Gamer Army ID:2238
  • Company:Kilo
last one I swear.

jazzcat

jazzcat
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • xfire:jazzcat
  • Interests:Cinema
  • Steam ID:Nottingham
  • Xbox / GFWL:google
  • PSN:England
  • Wii:jazzcat
Do you guys know if the fight will be televised in RCTI TV? If so, what time? Here in Singapore, we have RCTI TV channel. Its currently turned on but theres no announcement about the fight

anthonyoncoffee

anthonyoncoffee
  • Members
  • 192 posts
oh jarret

u must be happy now that SC2 is like a hardcore esport now
team slayers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users