Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

i pwn n00bs

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

Jarett

Jarett
  • Root Admin
  • 109 posts
I get asked this a lot: "What kind of gamer are you really?"

Instead of my standard 3-word reply (see title), I'll give some insight with a slightly longer answer: As far as PC gaming goes, I belong in the "My fun mostly comes from kicking ass (or the prospect of kicking ass) en route to total global Pwnination (the kicking of all asses)" category. If there are no other asses around to kick, I'll kick my own and pretend it was someone else (read: practice and constantly challenge myself to improve). I'm not so interested in the exhilarating experience of crying while playing video games, compared with uncompromised multi-player gameplay. I like games that make the kicking of asses so precise, so strategic and so fun that they enter the realm of art.

I'm the kind of gamer that immediately after installation turns off the music and turns down all the graphical fancinesses to ensure maximum frame-rate for ass-kicking. I don't care about particle effects, I don't need blur, and I fucking hate bloom. I've played every Command & Conquer game and consider myself a big fan of the franchise, yet have to admit I've absolutely no idea what the story is outside of "get tiberium, destroy opponent(s)". I assume the bald guy is "bad". To me, the goal of CoD4 is "to be at the top of the list at the end of the round". Never does saving a princess enter my mind, nor are domestic disputes the motivation for Ryu and Ken's regular skirmishes.

Not surprisingly, I'm also the kind of gamer that the vast majority isn't. Most prefer the interactive story and aesthetics of video gaming instead of its use as a most beautiful medium for fair and friendly ass-kicking (although I can't help but feel it's because they can't as effectively kick them). Because of this, most studios allocate the majority of their funding to the single-player elements I'll likely never get around to exploring, while mainstream gaming media weighs voice-acting alongside multi-player re-playability.

As a little kid I once spent a good chunk of my summer time-trialing Mute City I in F-Zero on the SNES while fantasizing about the existence and my subsequent victory of the Stanley Cup of video games. 1'58"87 was the result of my extensive training and was celebrated by much cheering and dancing (both done by only me). Now that was some serious fun!

HikariKage

HikariKage
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,546 posts
  • xfire:HikariKage
  • Wii:2426085976289137
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:364
It Really gets to me that now a days all these game studios care about is just the upping of textures and how to make an "Epic" storyline something that can supposedly draw people in, because for some reason they deem the storyline and how pretty the game looks as the most important thing for the game to succeed, when to be perfectly honest - I couldn't give a shit about the storyline and the progression of characters. I fully believe that the purpose of gaming, especially know a days with the internet and online gaming being so strong with consoles is the progression of the multi-player aspect of gaming. The ability to own Anyone, Anywhere around the where at Anytime.

Want storyline? Go watch a movie. Want graphics? Go for a hike.

When I play a game I want the multi-player experience to pull me in, and never let me go of its amazing experience. I want a community that evolves as the game becomes more deep, and matures as I mature. Not have the people I play with filled with idiots who get owned in 5 seconds.

The Gaming Industry seems to have been infiltrated by jackass movie directors who don't know what the true game wants. A GAME. Not a movie, not a fucking test of hardware. A GAME. Thats all I want, thats all I need. Something that can hold my attention, even for a moment, and that can bring me a little bit of pleasure in kicking the shit out of other people online or at home, and feels rewarding when I do.

Please give me that game icon_sad.gif (Hoping brawl is that game btw).

Edit: Also, I cant remember the last time I gave a shit about single player. Only reason I would play single player games is to unlock the multi player stuff (or if its like Mario or Zelda or something. But thats mainly nostalgia factor making it a lot more fun).

melonqueen

melonqueen

Slayer of Bees

• Retired Staff
  • 2,881 posts
  • xfire:melonqueen
  • Interests:Gaming, web design, baking/cooking, drinking, Melons
  • Xbox / GFWL:melonqueen
  • Wii:0205097351995318
  • Gamer Army ID:148
  • Company:Pi
Great post icon_biggrin.gif Good to see some insight into your views as a gamer and what you enjoy about gaming... Although I have to admit, I'm a bit of an opposite and enjoy storyline and single player, but that was probably mostly because I spent so long on dial-up.
My Blog - The Retro Cook

toKs1c

toKs1c
  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • xfire:stewiefan999
  • Interests:FPS<br />MMO's<br />RTS<br />Graphic and Web Design
Good read, im the same type of gamer icon_smile.gif

talok iv

talok iv
  • GA Private
  • 1,173 posts
  • xfire:talokiv
  • Interests:The 3 G's: Gaming, Guitar, Girls.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Talok IV
  • Wii:1167180059041566
  • Gamer Army ID:3486
Finally we get to know the man behind the character.

I enjoy both styles of games. I like good music/storyline single-player whilst I also really enjoy pwning people online in hardcore multi-player gaming.

I do have to say, I can't turn off the music or turn down the graphics, I don't know why, but it really annoys me when the graphics just don't look right.

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,320 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
Boxer pwns shit all day, hope you enjoy Brawl when it finally gets here Jarett icon_biggrin.gif

helpfulh.jpg
Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
  • xfire:anatomy20
  • Steam ID:anatomy187
  • Xbox / GFWL:anatomy187
  • PSN:anatomy187
  • Gamer Army ID:2743
  • Company:Delta
I enjoy all types of games. In-depth single player RPG like FF, when done right you can tell a more epic and involved story than a a book or a movie. Games like GTA and Morrowind where you can just mess around and explore when your bored. Games like GW and CS where you can bring the pwnage team style, and games like Quake and UT where you can bring the pwnage 1 on 1. When it comes to RTS, the feeling of having an army at your command is very exhilarating tbh...

Graphics aren't that important to me, but a good art style can help a lot. And I agree nothing feels better than completely shutting someone down in a match. But sometimes I like to "play with myself" too.

eafkuor

eafkuor
  • Members
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:PurePwnage, Computers, Science and Basketball =)
QUOTE (Jarett @ Feb 3 2008, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not surprisingly, I'm also the kind of gamer that the vast majority isn't. Most prefer the interactive story and aesthetics of video gaming instead of its use as a most beautiful medium for fair and friendly ass-kicking (although I can't help but feel it's because they can't as effectively kick them). Because of this, most studios allocate the majority of their funding to the single-player elements I'll likely never get around to exploring, while mainstream gaming media weighs voice-acting alongside multi-player re-playability.

this is The Truth

nuked_you

nuked_you
  • GA Private
  • 471 posts
  • xfire:tehownerer94
  • Interests:Pwnin n00bs doin the same old thing you kno?
  • Gamer Army ID:3499
yea i dont play games for the storyline in alot of cases, but there are some acceptions (chrono cross, zelda)

I mainly play for the gameplay, the competitiveness, and the friends icon_razz.gif

Danoli3

Danoli3

MotM Sept 2006 | teh_artchiverer | PP Lifetime Achievement Award

• GA Sergeant
  • 6,760 posts
  • xfire:Danoli3
  • Interests:Natalie, Pure Pwnage, Games, Programming, Animation, Music, Movies
  • Steam ID:Danoli3
  • Xbox / GFWL:Danolium
  • Wii:1622774217920323
  • Gamer Army ID:9
  • Company:Pi
Spot on Jarett, Inspiration to us all ;D!

Higgy

Higgy
  • Members
  • 922 posts
  • xfire:mustbehiggy
  • PSN:mustbehiggy
  • Wii:7476262370009001
Well, I'm like 70% your style of gamer then. I always want to pwn and don't care too much about fancy graphics and whatever, although I don't turn things off or down just to get a few more fps. But that's alright I guess. I don't worry about amazing stories or stuff, except in games like Zelda .. and even Half-Life.

But most of the time I'm just out their to pwn n00bs as it were. I'm looking forward to playing some Brawl online =P yar! But even in games like EVE-Online, I'm a full out pirate because I just love shooting and blowing up random people and making them lose everything they've ever aquired just to show them.. that's what happens when your a n00b. =)

Zanzibar

Zanzibar

Also, banned. | Best Ice Cream my pants Shacker 08 & 09

• GA Corporal
  • 5,720 posts
  • Interests:Nothing much anymore.
  • Gamer Army ID:334
I like to think of myself as this type of gamer, but sometimes the story is so tasty that I have to play it, learn everything there is to know and read the crappy novels that always seem to crop up around popular video games.

I do turn the graphics down though, all that matters is the number one spot on the leaderboard. icon_biggrin.gif

Vorrik

Vorrik

IRC Loudmouth, I ask Xim inappropriate shit.

• Members
  • 987 posts
  • xfire:conarus
  • Interests:Cowtipping
  • Xbox / GFWL:dun play
  • PSN:dun have
  • Wii:dun have
Well said icon_surprised.gif
"Error E2061 date.h 13: Friends must be functions or classes"-Borland c++ compiler.

Sirko

Sirko
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,026 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:41
nice
<11101001> Peace Rules

Th0zA

Th0zA
  • Members
  • 296 posts
  • xfire:th0za
  • Xbox / GFWL:Th0zA
Very nice post. I agree entirely, there's a reason why 95% of gamers play the same games for multiplayer. Those are the only games who actually put in at least a thought towards the multiplayer community. Here's hoping sc2 turns out as good as I hope.
To win rts, be prepared to lose...a lot.

wert

wert
  • Members
  • 159 posts
When I was younger I use to play FPS a lot, and I played it simply to dominate as many people as possible. However, around the age of 7 I got StarCraft. I wasn't very good at the actual game, so I got into UMS a lot. Though I also played Single player. That level of gaming stuck for quite a few years, I just casually played RTS or FPS and I didn't really care whether I won or not, I just jerked around and tried to make friends. But around two years ago I became bored of that. I have really gotten back to the kind of gamer I use to be [admittedly, I was only 6 or 7, but I've been playing games since before I could speak].

i pwn n00bs icon_razz.gif

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
I worship this man.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

DHA

DHA
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • xfire:DHA
  • Interests:Gaming, music, tennis.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Jinola
It's weird, I was just talking to my friend about how our styles of gaming. I'd copy the convo in here but i'm sure many of you guys would get bored and/or lost. I play CoD4 quite a bit as there are currently many players, as I told my friend, i'm only really having fun if I have around a 2:1 kdr, which is most of the time, I know the game is about working as a team and doing the objective etc, but I don't really find that very rewarding. I much prefer a game like ETF - Enemy Territory Fortress, which I used to play a lot in my early-mid teens, the great thing about it was that it took me about 2 years to develop into a decent player and there was always new techniques and tricks to be learnt, the reason I don't play anymore is because it's almost dead and its hard to find a server with players on. I think this applies to many of the quake type games. Quake 1 I can't even play because it is so damn hard to keep up with everyone, and I think it's probably too late to start learning, especially as this is quite a dinosaur game. As for Quake 3 Arena, it is more "Noobie-friendly" so after a few months of playing it you at least have a chance to have a 1:1 damage count/KDR.
I know this is a kinda off topic post, but it slightly relates to your style but with a lot of added "Moaning/whining" about changes in vids.

It's good to see you're really like, i've wondered for a long time what kind of style you have. I read that you turn off ingame music when playing, but i'm just wondering do you have your own music on when gaming? I almost always do, but my friend doesn't usually during FPS or console gaming but does for any other genre.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Okay, serious now icon_razz.gif

I personally don't think multiplayer is all tehre is to a game if it has it.. I mean, I enjoyed CoD 4. But if game developers tend to make a game multiplayer only it tends to be really GOOD. (TF2, WoW) but it doesn't have to be that way at all (Starcraft). I've never gone into time trailing or something like that myself.. but I do agree ass-kicking is the best part of Multiplayer, as it's what it should be made for icon_razz.gif

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Matic D. Oof

Matic D. Oof
  • GA Private
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Going to the arcade, playing Soul Calibur 3, and Xbox Live!
  • Xbox / GFWL:OOFMATIC
  • PSN:OOFMATIC
  • Gamer Army ID:626
I know exactly how you think. Although I enjoy some single player games, multi is where it's at.

But for me, it's not about the FPS's or the RTS's. Its about FGs baby. I've been training in Soul Calibur since it came out. That's almost 10 years now.

There were times when my buddies and I played Soul Calibur 2 for 5 to 10 hours a day every day for over a year. Sure we had no life but we don't give a shit we were gamers and were kicking ass!

I've traveled across the states many times for large privately run Soul Calibur tournaments, and for Soul Calibur IV I plan on traveling overseas.

My dream is to go pro. And I try my best to help the videogame community grow and become more widely accepted. That's why I really admire what you guys are doing with PurePwnage. And I'll keep supporting you guys till the end.

This year my goal is to enter the World Cyber Games. I have a really strong feeling that it will have SCIV featured, and if it does, then this is my chance to go big. I'll seriously have to train myself to new levels of 1337. I think that a pro gamer should take his gaming as seriously as a pro athlete takes his sport. I'll be ready to take out anyone at the WCG, and I'll be wearing an i pwn n00bs shirt while I'm at it. icon_wink.gif

Peace!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users