Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

noob12325

noob12325
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Gaming!!!
I read that if you put aan unchareged grand soul gem in a necromancer altar during the necromancer's moon that they will change into black soul gems they capture NPC souls), but when I did this nothing happened. Does anybody know what I did wrong?
Auron: Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

injectlove

injectlove
  • GA Private
  • 503 posts
  • xfire:injectlove
  • Interests:Dispensers, Dispensers, and Dispensers.
  • Gamer Army ID:2534
QUOTE (noob12325 @ Mar 20 2008, 05:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read that if you put aan unchareged grand soul gem in a necromancer altar during the necromancer's moon that they will change into black soul gems they capture NPC souls), but when I did this nothing happened. Does anybody know what I did wrong?

This should help you out
QUOTE (Headcrab-Zombie @ Apr 2 2008, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rawwwwww aaaggghhh! Agghhh. AGGGGHH RAAAWWWWRRRRR.

thanks lil hades 87!

noob12325

noob12325
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Gaming!!!
Thanks I think I went a day too early.
Auron: Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

BogusMeatFactory

BogusMeatFactory
  • GA Corporal
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:Pwning, writing, reviewing, music composition, acting, programming
  • Xbox / GFWL:BogusMeatFactor
  • Wii:6374897161850475
  • Gamer Army ID:3688
  • Company:Golf
QUOTE (b0niK @ Mar 16 2008, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the lockpicks I just bought 100 and went auto-pick every time. Because every time you fail, you get skill points and buying lock picks are really cheap.
I was a custom hammer warrior with base personality so I could lessen those annoying circle puzzles in the chat. I liked this game for a while but I don't play it anymore because it hasn't seemed to stand the test of time for me. Whenever I think about playing it, I would get discouraged straight away thinking about;
1) Having to level up in skills you never use to maximize the new level points, eg. If I used sword, I would have to use mace and hammer to get 5 points on level up. Then doing that in every single section of skills is TEDIOUS and pointless
2) Archery is boring. Oblivion isn't built properly for FPS style and you can't play in 3rd person or there's no crosshair WTF!, and the bows crossahir is annoying and you can't change it.
3) How the enemies level up is really annoying, because if you don't maximize your skill tree in the best way (4-5 points on every level) then you just end up weak and retarded, especially as a warrior fighting up close taking all those arrows and spells, while as an archer or mage, you can dodge everything except someone who runs faster than you.

It was alright from the marketing and awards, you think its awesome, and people are telling you its a really good game (when it was new). But the advertising campaign tried too hard, so when I worked out these 3 major game mechanics that the devs of oblivion hid under the rug... it was like MEH! screw this crap.

I can definitely understand your frustrations with the game as the Elder Scrolls series is most definitely not for everyone. The game is definitely for the patient completionist players. With the leveling problem you had, I never had an issue when playing the game for a need to maximize my skill points in order to succeed. The game required you to think outside of the box in terms of combat, especially in close combat. Potions were a must for the warrior and getting enchanted weapons seemed crucial to your survival. The game was hard as hell the farther you got along, but it wasn't impossible and it wasn't completely infuriating, at least from my experience.

The archery gripe on a first person perspective I really can't get. I thought it was a wonderful addition and added a great level of depth to the play. Nothing was more thrilling than sneaking through the hills, stalking my prey, firing an arrow straight into a creatures chest, achieving critical damage and falling it in just a few blows. The 3rd person perspective gripe though....completely right. It was impossible to do archery from that perspective.

What has charmed me with the Elder Scrolls series is the history behind it. I would find myself, in every game (excluding arena and redgaurd) reading the books to learn about the history of the world. It is one of the few games that I really could enjoy on a single player level and it brought me in in a big way.

Like I said though, this series is not for everyone, as it can come off as being very tedious and long winded, taking a lot of time and patience to get through the storylines and quests. It gave you a lot of room to do what you wanted and, with a game of this magnitude, that can be overwhelming and disorienting and, not to mention, discouraging when you want to just pick it up and play a bit.

Great input though on the game though.

Gimmethelove

Gimmethelove
  • Members
  • 36 posts
  • xfire:gimmethelove
Oblivion would totally kick ass if you could play online
Posted by Gimmethelove

injectlove

injectlove
  • GA Private
  • 503 posts
QUOTE (Gimmethelove @ Mar 23 2008, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've read that there are some Multiplayer mods that have been released, but none that are that great. Tbh, I don't see Oblivion as the kind of game that would be suited to online/multiplayer play except for the arena or in some of the dungeons, but here's a link I found in case you're interested.

MultiTES4

thanks lil hades 87!

BogusMeatFactory

BogusMeatFactory
  • GA Corporal
  • 636 posts
QUOTE (Gimmethelove @ Mar 22 2008, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Elder Scrolls series would be terrible if on-line was involved on a large scale, at least for me as a fan. I find the elder scrolls series to be a slow paced, take everything in sort of game. Add to it the idea of playing with others forces it into a competitive game where the focus is no longer about your surroundings, exploring and experiencing the world, but instead will center around getting the best gear the fastest and being the best. I won't even get into the forceful nature of having to interact with other players who, most of the time are anti-social, rude, crude, lewd, and any other word that rhymes with rude.

The only form of multi-player I would be ok with would be arena combat. I would love to see players duke it out in an arena with tournaments and rewards for players who win. This would be a very simple, surface experience that limits your interaction with others, gives a decent level of competition and doesn't overshadow the single player experience that the Elder Scrolls are known for.

That's just my two cents in all reality and, I am sure, am most likely wrong.

Gimmethelove

Gimmethelove
  • Members
  • 36 posts
  • xfire:gimmethelove
QUOTE (injectlove @ Mar 22 2008, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've read that there are some Multiplayer mods that have been released, but none that are that great. Tbh, I don't see Oblivion as the kind of game that would be suited to online/multiplayer play except for the arena or in some of the dungeons, but here's a link I found in case you're interested.

MultiTES4

Thx for the link

Posted by Gimmethelove

cjboonie

cjboonie

Community Member of The Month - Feb 2008

• GA Lieutenant Colonel
  • 1,052 posts
  • xfire:na
  • Interests:lol'ing.<br />i am a software engineer by trade. study hard kids - it is worth it.
  • Xbox / GFWL:na
  • PSN:na
  • Wii:na
  • Gamer Army ID:2744
  • Company:Pi
QUOTE (BogusMeatFactory @ Mar 21 2008, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The game is definitely for the patient completionist players.
That must be me. LOL.

Oblivion is hard and slow at the start.
Really good in the middle.
Now I have so much magic armour and trinkets, it is pretty much impossible to die.

obviously you need gold to buy better equipment and spells, etc. it is hard work to get gold up until about level 12. then the bandits you meet start to wear expensive armour, which you sell, and the cash starts rolling in. good times.

feather potion FTW.

As for discussion of multi-player, how good would it be to 'raid' one of the plains of oblivion in a small group? that would be awesome. playing the entire game online would be difficult, but individual story elements would be fun. for example, why take NPC soldiers to the seige kavatch when you could take your online-buddies?
PPftw
BoL: this game only scrolls in one direction so we have to suck it up and keep moving
QUOTE (rick_2k @ Dec 22 2008, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PP to me is a gift made by some talented guys and gals who like to do it and give us a great quality show for free.

QUOTE (Anthrax704 @ Apr 3 2009, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's out of 1337.

QUOTE (denwO @ Feb 26 2008, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I once saw a guy on tour around my university wearing an uber micro hoodie, so I went to chat to him. He was a complete dick.

QUOTE (lil hades 87 @ Feb 17 2009, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are 3 or 4 people in my school who wear purepwnage shirts.. Sadly, they are mostly retarded :(

QUOTE (ya_ba - re ep16 fanchat @ Mar 31 2008, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not even sure what the answer to my question was lol I was there for 5 minutes to look at Dave and that's about it.

QUOTE (anatomy187 @ May 22 2008, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe it's because I live in <...> and everyone is braindead when it comes to games and computers so when I tell them I'm in a "Gamer Army" they think I'm a fucking genius.
QUOTE (Nestey @ Jun 4 2008, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mmm attention.... yes...we needs it... we wants it precious.....

QUOTE (Jarett @ Aug 7 2009, 03:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's going to kick some serious fucking TV ass.

Fasckira

Fasckira

For I am justice lol.

• Retired Staff
  • 12,574 posts
  • xfire:fascuk
  • Steam ID:withoutlife
  • Xbox / GFWL:Fasckira
  • Wii:1428896709853094
  • Rofl-Rupees:1337
  • Gamer Army ID:107
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (BogusMeatFactory @ Mar 21 2008, 06:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What has charmed me with the Elder Scrolls series is the history behind it. I would find myself, in every game (excluding arena and redgaurd) reading the books to learn about the history of the world. It is one of the few games that I really could enjoy on a single player level and it brought me in in a big way.

I always enjoyed who certain characters and items made cameo appearances throughout the series, or someone would reference an event that happened in an earlier game.

When I last played it, I completed the Thieves Guild first (to get the special item icon_wink.gif) then completed the Dark Brotherhood quest (to get all its special items and 'help'). By that point though I had to crank the gameplay up to hard because I was too powerful for the main quest. icon_biggrin.gif

Did anyone play through the expansion packs? Becoming the Knight of the Nine was just awesome, though the second expansion wasn't as good (or at least for my character, anyway). The downloadable content was sexy too, with the pirate ship being a big favourite. icon_smile.gif

Corpus

Corpus
  • GA Private
  • 797 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:CorpuS11
  • Gamer Army ID:2298
  • Company:Bravo
I only wish that I had a PC that could run Oblivion as well as my 360. that was what kept me going on Morrowind. It was just the sheer amount of (free) user created Mods out there. Oblivion's downloadable stuff on the Market Place is nice, but it's just not worth it for me. I kinda wish i could get back into Oblivion too, but I've completed every storeline and quest at least twice. And played about 4 or 5 character types. Forking over just for Shivering Isles just don't cut it. Aw well. Fun days while it lasted, TBH.

BogusMeatFactory

BogusMeatFactory
  • GA Corporal
  • 636 posts
QUOTE (cjboonie @ Mar 23 2008, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As you discussion of multi-player, how good would it be to 'raid' one of the plains of oblivion is a small group? that would be awesome. playing the entire game online would be difficult, but individual story elements would be fun. for example, why take NPC soldiers to the seige kavatch when you could take your online-buddies?

The raid aspect may be very entertaining. Maybe have it be a time trial aspect. Once you've beaten the scenario in-game, be able to access it with your friends on-line. They would have to, as well, reached beyond the point you were accessing and only in the areas of oblivion really. Maybe even have games set up were there would be a vs match. One side plays as denizens of Oblivion versus the warriors of the Cyrodil. The object would be to protect the gate when playing the Daedra and the like while the Cyrodils would work to try and close it. That would be good times indeed.

This would be a great multi-player aspect that would not ruin the gaming experience and, in all honesty would enhance it in a way that would bring in people from all different crowds.

DMitsuki

DMitsuki
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • xfire:dmitsuki
  • Xbox / GFWL:dmitsuki
  • Wii:justask
wait...how did i get here...i thought i was in the ff thread thing @_@

cjboonie

cjboonie

Community Member of The Month - Feb 2008

• GA Lieutenant Colonel
  • 1,052 posts
  • xfire:na
  • Interests:lol'ing.<br />i am a software engineer by trade. study hard kids - it is worth it.
  • Xbox / GFWL:na
  • PSN:na
  • Wii:na
  • Gamer Army ID:2744
  • Company:Pi
have you guys seen the PurePwnage made 3D Topic?
He/she talks about CS:S, but i would love to see Dreamacademy's model(s) in an oblivion mod.
PPftw
BoL: this game only scrolls in one direction so we have to suck it up and keep moving
QUOTE (rick_2k @ Dec 22 2008, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PP to me is a gift made by some talented guys and gals who like to do it and give us a great quality show for free.

QUOTE (Anthrax704 @ Apr 3 2009, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's out of 1337.

QUOTE (denwO @ Feb 26 2008, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I once saw a guy on tour around my university wearing an uber micro hoodie, so I went to chat to him. He was a complete dick.

QUOTE (lil hades 87 @ Feb 17 2009, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are 3 or 4 people in my school who wear purepwnage shirts.. Sadly, they are mostly retarded :(

QUOTE (ya_ba - re ep16 fanchat @ Mar 31 2008, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not even sure what the answer to my question was lol I was there for 5 minutes to look at Dave and that's about it.

QUOTE (anatomy187 @ May 22 2008, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe it's because I live in <...> and everyone is braindead when it comes to games and computers so when I tell them I'm in a "Gamer Army" they think I'm a fucking genius.
QUOTE (Nestey @ Jun 4 2008, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mmm attention.... yes...we needs it... we wants it precious.....

QUOTE (Jarett @ Aug 7 2009, 03:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's going to kick some serious fucking TV ass.

3xp0sed

3xp0sed
  • Members
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:ur mum
never really got aroudn to play oblivion

"Boomshakalakalaka"

injectlove

injectlove
  • GA Private
  • 503 posts
QUOTE (Fascination @ Mar 24 2008, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did anyone play through the expansion packs? Becoming the Knight of the Nine was just awesome, though the second expansion wasn't as good (or at least for my character, anyway). The downloadable content was sexy too, with the pirate ship being a big favourite. icon_smile.gif

I have Knights of the Nine, The Shivering Isles, and all of the DLC, and I'm quite the opposite ... Never really got into the KotN (which I really should), and loved the Shivering Isles, I thought the Mania/Dementia thing was fantastic and the NPCs actually had some personality, which was a nice change ... especially the town of Split! Not to mention, the butterfly sequence was amazing.

As for the DLC, the Pirate Ship is a great way to make money, and unlike the Vile Lair, you don't earn infamy for sending them out (which is handy for characters like mine icon_biggrin.gif). The newest one, the Fighters Stronghold, is pretty good, but I still wonder why I need my own taxidemist ... The vitner is good though. Frostcrag Spire, while expensive, was still pretty good.

thanks lil hades 87!

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
  • xfire:cipher5006
  • PSN:Kithlan
QUOTE (BogusMeatFactory @ Mar 22 2008, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Elder Scrolls series would be terrible if on-line was involved on a large scale, at least for me as a fan. I find the elder scrolls series to be a slow paced, take everything in sort of game. Add to it the idea of playing with others forces it into a competitive game where the focus is no longer about your surroundings, exploring and experiencing the world, but instead will center around getting the best gear the fastest and being the best. I won't even get into the forceful nature of having to interact with other players who, most of the time are anti-social, rude, crude, lewd, and any other word that rhymes with rude.

The only form of multi-player I would be ok with would be arena combat. I would love to see players duke it out in an arena with tournaments and rewards for players who win. This would be a very simple, surface experience that limits your interaction with others, gives a decent level of competition and doesn't overshadow the single player experience that the Elder Scrolls are known for.

That's just my two cents in all reality and, I am sure, am most likely wrong.

Well, there are rumors of Bethesda making a TES MMO.
If they do it right, it will be epic and being Bethesda, I have complete faith in them.

They just have to change a couple little aspects of the single player that wouldn't work in an MMO

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

Blanetrain

Blanetrain
  • GA Private
  • 1,163 posts
  • xfire:blanetrain
  • Interests:Whatever you want them to be.
  • Steam ID:blanethetrain
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
  • Gamer Army ID:2367
  • Company:India
Bethesda + MMO = Sex

Ever since I picked up Morrowind for 20 bucks from a rental store I have been hooked. I love any game that gives me freedom like the elder scrolls series.

I think most of my Spanish 1 class was me and my friend discuss shit we were doing in Morrowind.

It's an anti-social WoW. Kinda.

Would you like to look at some of my wares?

http://www.twitch.tv/blanetrain

Chris Choi

Chris Choi
  • Members
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Yum, fud.
  • Xbox / GFWL:No $ for a Xbox
  • PSN:PS3=linux only
I summoned a skeleton,attacked a guard(I have 100 disposition with guards),and the entire town started attacking my summon...even the guys at the Mage's Guild who were out for a walk.
After the skeleton died, everything returned to normal,nobody attacked me.
Is this normal?
LOL for feather potions and stuff. I go around with a feather enchanted helm,boots, 2 rings, and a ammy and I cast feather to keep up my magicz. I walk around like the dickens and I have ebony armer! Great for running away from guards and archers.
Uber 1337 lappy:
Dell e1705,Core 2 Duo @2Ghz,2 gig 667mhz ram,Nvidia Quadro FX 1500m (flashed to 2500m, oc unlocked)
60gig 5400rpm HD(not 1337),17 inch glossy screen(1900x1200),Razer Lachesis(white)

BogusMeatFactory

BogusMeatFactory
  • GA Corporal
  • 636 posts
QUOTE (Assimilator @ Mar 27 2008, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bethesda + MMO = Sex

Ever since I picked up Morrowind for 20 bucks from a rental store I have been hooked. I love any game that gives me freedom like the elder scrolls series.

I think most of my Spanish 1 class was me and my friend discuss shit we were doing in Morrowind.

It's an anti-social WoW. Kinda.

an anti-social WoW is.....well..WoW...but let's not get into that.

I am really curious as to why people want an MMORPG from the Elder Scrolls series...what about it seems appealing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users