Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

cod4 problems

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Raving Looney

Raving Looney
  • GA Private
  • 625 posts
  • xfire:reaperman555
  • Gamer Army ID:2161
Haven't posted here in quite a while, it seems i have been quite lucky and not getting any problems. But...

Basically i have had cod4 since it came out and i played through the singleplayer campaign no problem.

My problem is multiplayer. I boot up cod4 multiplayer and it works fine, join a server can play for up to 15 mins then suddenly the whole screen freezes and the sound of gunfire may loop, then about 5 seconds into the freeze it'll move to another frame and the sound will change, it'll do this for about 15 seconds before the game starts working fine again. Witin about 2 mins of the freeze the game will completely freeze again for up to 10 seconds then everything goes laggy and the screen will jump to different frames then again it is ok.

Just once an error message has come up on my screen saying nv4_dsp has stopped working properly and my whole screen went into High contrast colours (black, white, green, purple) but i was able to click start - shutdown.

I'm sure this can't be doin my comp any good and wonder if there is any fix for it.

I'm using the most up-to-date drivers from nvidia and during the time i had cod4 i have re-formatted my pc so basically everything was re-installed.

My comp specs are:
Intel C2D E6400 OC @2.8Ghz
7900GS OC @ 600/840
2GB (2x1GB) G-skill 800Mhz
Gigabyte P35-DQ6
250GB western digital HDD (main)
400GB western digital HDD (storage)

The error log said

Event Type: Error
Event Source: nv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 108
Date: 05/02/2008
Time: 21:21:46
User: N/A
Computer: SCOTT-6D72B2A62
Description:
The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at <a href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp" target="_blank">http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp</a>.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 46 00 ......F.
0008: 00 00 00 00 6c 00 04 c0 ....l..
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Starblaiz

Starblaiz

Here comes the sun!

• Global Mods - GA Brig. Genereral
  • 5,287 posts
  • Interests:Games (obviously :P ), Programming, Physics (especially Astrophysics)
  • Steam ID:virus52
  • Gamer Army ID:225
  • Company:Gamma
what are your CPU and GPU temperatures? sounds like an overheating issue to me, and I know that CoD4 used to put my old E6300 up to around 60 (which was hot for my setup).

Raving Looney

Raving Looney
  • GA Private
  • 625 posts
well i got tuniq tower 120 on my CPU and the temp doesn't exceed 50C on 100% load for 20 mins. With ATi till running the temperature of the GPU doesn't exceed 65C

RaiDer

RaiDer
  • Members
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Probably something to do with W33d.
QUOTE (Raving Looney @ Dec 16 2007, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well i got tuniq tower 120 on my CPU and the temp doesn't exceed 50C on 100% load for 20 mins. With ATi till running the temperature of the GPU doesn't exceed 65C

Array of colors = artifacting, which usually = gpu overheating. Run COD4 go in game, minimize go in windowed mode if you can and recheck temps.

Raving Looney

Raving Looney
  • GA Private
  • 625 posts
i monitored the temps before the freeze and they just sit on 60 - 64C the whole time.

When i minimised the game after the first freeze my monitor went into a screen saying No signal input but then went back on again

Raving Looney

Raving Looney
  • GA Private
  • 625 posts
still not fixed....

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Stress test it with ATITool to see if you get any artifacts.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Weegee_101

Weegee_101
  • GA Private
  • 1,644 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Unix.
  • Gamer Army ID:816
  • Company:India
Uhhhh... nv4_dsp? Those are nVidia drivers. Do you have a second Video Card or did you used to own a nVidia? Sounds like it could be a conflicting driver.

Raving Looney

Raving Looney
  • GA Private
  • 625 posts
I've had Ati stress test running for 30 mins and no artifacts, temps are 60 - 65C.

and yes i hae a 7900GS which is a nvidia card

Revelstoke

Revelstoke
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,515 posts
  • xfire:revelstoke
  • Interests:Pure Pwnage (been to all the releases), overclocking, and PC gaming.
  • Wii:4422074853482481
  • Gamer Army ID:622
  • Company:Bravo
no OP he means have you ever had another video card installed in your computer

Weegee_101

Weegee_101
  • GA Private
  • 1,644 posts
I'm going to bet its either a driver issue or a memory issue. First, uninstall the drivers, then reboot. After rebooting, reinstall the latest nVidia Forceware. Then test CoD4, see if your problem occurs again. If it does, then run MemTest86 for at LEAST 4 passes. You're going to need to leave your computer for probably a few hours to do this.

Raving Looney

Raving Looney
  • GA Private
  • 625 posts
I don't have 2 cards and i'll do another memtest as i recently got a new mobo and i did completely wipe my hard drive and reformat it with a fresh copy of XP, it fixed a few problems i was having as it seemed that the XP before wasn't able to allocate enough memory to certain programs.

I have now also found out that if i lower the in game graphics settings then it takes longer for the game to freeze up, so i can play the game for a while longer. I know its sounds like my g card is working to hard but the temps dont excced 70C ever

Scout Ragered

Scout Ragered
  • Members
  • 341 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Scout Ragered
does cod4 use punkbuster? cos i remeber in bf2 when it did harddisk checks for hax it made my fps dip so i had to reinstall punkbster

ops i didnt read the whole thing didnt know the game crashes

only thing i can think of is completely remove ur gfx card drives and then reinstall latest ones

Weegee_101

Weegee_101
  • GA Private
  • 1,644 posts
QUOTE (Raving Looney @ Feb 7 2008, 04:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have 2 cards and i'll do another memtest as i recently got a new mobo and i did completely wipe my hard drive and reformat it with a fresh copy of XP, it fixed a few problems i was having as it seemed that the XP before wasn't able to allocate enough memory to certain programs.

I have now also found out that if i lower the in game graphics settings then it takes longer for the game to freeze up, so i can play the game for a while longer. I know its sounds like my g card is working to hard but the temps dont excced 70C ever

Really does sound like a memory issue. If nothing crops up on MemTest86 it may be your video RAM, but unfortunately there's no good way to test video RAM that I know of.

TheBase

TheBase
  • Members
  • 1,342 posts
  • xfire:thewutangclan
It probably is the graphics RAM since your 2 GB of RAM at 800mhz is a good amount and XP really shouldn't have any problems with 2 GB.

TheCh*ckenFace

TheCh*ckenFace
  • Members
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Food, drink, films, games, music and other stuff humans tend to enjoy...
make sure the game has the latest patch tho it looks like conflicts with other devices/programs running which would truly suck to troubleshoot. Past this there's always a chance the gfx card itself is screwed, but this doesn't seem likely.

you deserve better help than this as you actually did a fairly decent post- sorry.

special3yj3.jpg
...the forums have gone down hill since those days :(

Raving Looney

Raving Looney
  • GA Private
  • 625 posts
Ok so i did the memtest ran the default test through 4 times no errors. i then changed the settings of the test to BIOS- ALL then it came up with this:

Wall time: 0.00.13 | Cached 2131m | mem map: e820 - All | Cache: on | Ecc: off | Test: std

errors: 556
test: 0

Error confidence value: 36
lowest error address: 3840mb
highest erro address: 4092mb
bits in error mask: fffffff
bits in error total: 32 min: 9 max:32 avg: 27
max contiguous errors: 1
errors per memory slot:
0 : 0
1 : 0

but then again i this might not mean anything as i couldnt make sense of the read me so i just tried everything

Thanks for the help guys i appreciate it

Weegee_101

Weegee_101
  • GA Private
  • 1,644 posts
Sounds like you might have a bad stick or at least one that's overheating. Shut down, remove all of the sticks, and one at a time plug them into the first mem slot then run memtest86 twice on each, shut down, then move on to the next stick. Its important that you run these tests ONE STICK at a time, that'll help you to find which one is wrong.

Raving Looney

Raving Looney
  • GA Private
  • 625 posts
well after doing memtest with each stick individually, with one stick it came up with 32637 errors with the other one coming up with no errors with 3 passes. So now's the question of what RAM should i get.

I think i'll keep the good current 1GB stick, its G-skill Pc2-6400 800mhz Cas4, i could just buy another 2 gigs of it. Although its out of stock with no ETA :/.

So i looked at overclockers and found some which is basically the same: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....d=8&subcat=

EDIT: ok so today i went and turned my comp on and i noticed that the idle temps of the g card have risen significantly to friday. And its gettin to 80C just having the 3d view open on ATI tool. So now it also looks like i need a new after market fan for my g card. Recommend me one please

Weegee_101

Weegee_101
  • GA Private
  • 1,644 posts
I'll leave the recommendations to the people who know graphics cards a little better, but I would avoid that RAM if you've already had some problems. Newegg has a pretty good deal on 2GB of Corsair XMS.

Also, it sounds like you've got a heat problem in your case. Go to your local office supply store and get a can of air, then blow all the dust out of your computer. Check that the fans are all running properly. You need to have at least one fan on the front blowing in and one fan on the back blowing out. Heat can explain why your memory went bad. Don't go replacing the graphics card until you've done this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users