Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Witcher Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

NewCamp

NewCamp
  • Members
  • 580 posts
  • xfire:newcamp
Hey, just wondering if anyone here has played The Witcher and whether it is worth getting. I'm particularly interested in what the combat is like.

If you're posting spoilers please give a warning at this stage, thanks.
"Lucky for you, I would have enjoyed polishing your mug..."
My most commonly used pseudonym is 'Adac'.

DarkKitchen

DarkKitchen
  • Members
  • 1,894 posts
Its pretty fuking awesome I played it at a friends house. The gameplay is top notch, the graphics are great, the sound is great and if you play it a couple times to see the alternate endings it has lots of playtime. The only bad thing is that its buggy and needs tweaking like most rpgs do so I am waiting for patches to buy it myself.

EDIT: and yea theres a lot of loading...slow loading

Mara

Mara
  • Members
  • 662 posts
  • xfire:rottenkiller
  • Wii:1888959111040640
The Witcher is great. You need to try the combat yourself. Some people like it, some dislike.

Karko

Karko
  • Members
  • 3,034 posts
Just got this game yesterday.. I think im about halfway through chapter 1? Just gave the white myrtle to the witch :3

Good game though the constant loading screen is wearing a little thin xD

Second. Worst. Signature. Ever.
Expecting something witty? Herp derp tiddlerp.

OjKa

OjKa
  • Members
  • 704 posts
  • xfire:ojka
  • Interests:chill
  • Steam ID:fiddledaff@hotmail.com
  • Xbox / GFWL:OjKa
  • PSN:OjKa
put points in Igni and you're pretty much set for the whole game ;/
OjKa OjKa OjKa !

Eri

Eri
  • Members
  • 216 posts
I picked up the game last night and so far I'm enjoying it. A few things to note though...

-load times are horrible

A new patch coming out sometime next month I believe is going to fix this. If you can get by this, then the game is great.

-inventory system is horrible

Really needs to work out better, there's just so much randomness you loot with all the potion parts and such.

About the combat? What you need to realize before buying this game is this is not an action RPG, it is a story driven RPG, and combat isn't really that huge, at least not yet anyway. It's pretty basic though imo, not hard at all. I am really enjoying the story so far, and the overall feel of the game. Some of the voice overs are pretty bad, but oh well. If you like story driven RPGs, then I would check it out, but if you want something that is action packed all the time, might want to look somewhere else.

NewCamp

NewCamp
  • Members
  • 580 posts
  • xfire:newcamp
QUOTE (Eri @ Nov 20 2007, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About the combat? What you need to realize before buying this game is this is not an action RPG, it is a story driven RPG, and combat isn't really that huge, at least not yet anyway. If you like story driven RPGs, then I would check it out, but if you want something that is action packed all the time, might want to look somewhere else.

That's cool, don't worry. A good/smooth combat system is just a bonus for me when it comes to RPG's. Thanks for the replies I might check it out now icon_smile.gif
"Lucky for you, I would have enjoyed polishing your mug..."
My most commonly used pseudonym is 'Adac'.

m3ds

m3ds
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,482 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:2994
I had heard that a lot of the that a lot of the choices you make in the game aren't just "good & evil", but much much more "gray". If I weren't so rapped up in other games right now I think I would buy it.

DarkKitchen

DarkKitchen
  • Members
  • 1,894 posts
QUOTE (m3ds @ Nov 27 2007, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had heard that a lot of the that a lot of the choices you make in the game aren't just "good & evil", but much much more "gray". If I weren't so rapped up in other games right now I think I would buy it.

I would wait for the new patch anyway. They said it will come out sometime before xmas.

Karko

Karko
  • Members
  • 3,034 posts
QUOTE (m3ds @ Nov 28 2007, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Butchering a bunch of peasants is the lesser of two evils ?

OjKa

OjKa
  • Members
  • 704 posts
  • xfire:ojka
  • Interests:chill
  • Steam ID:fiddledaff@hotmail.com
  • Xbox / GFWL:OjKa
  • PSN:OjKa
we both know those peasants were assholes
OjKa OjKa OjKa !

m3ds

m3ds
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,482 posts
QUOTE (Karko @ Nov 27 2007, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Butchering a bunch of peasants is the lesser of two evils ?

lol, didn't read that one in the preview I read. Here's a situation I was thinking of.

By way of another example, at one point, the player has to decide whether or not to give a cache of weapons to some freedom fighters living under a fascist dictator. The freedom fighters aren't particularly great people -- they're murderers and cutthroats, and could only be classified as "good" in comparison to the guy who rules over them -- but on the other hand, the despot is pretty bad, as well. So, let's say that you choose to give them the weapons so as to aid them in their fight. A few hours go by, you play through the game, distract yourself with other sidequests, until suddenly, whilst talking up to a local tavern, you see the corpse of an innocent, unarmed woman, riddled with crossbow bolts. It appears that by giving the freedom fighters weaponry, you gave them the power to enforce their own law on anyone -- resulting in the death of this innocent bystander.

Darkflame

Darkflame
  • Members
  • 53 posts
Guys this game is fucking incredible, I basically play only RPGs and FPS (and sometimes Civ!) and this game seriously is the best RPG yet. You basically are continuously confronted with very thought-provoking choices and your decisions completely change the storyline and the gameworld, I've never seen anything like it but it must have taken forever to develop. Apparently there is a demo coming out soon for download on the official website so if you are interested please give it a shot because I think you'll be very happy, I've already had some experiences in this game that were so unique and so mindblowing and everyone with any interest in RPGs really needs to check this out, the gameplay mechanics are seriously that cool.

Nushi

Nushi
  • GA Private
  • 318 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:4236
I probably would have bought this buy now but the voice acting really put me off. It's worse than in X2.
IPB Image

m3ds

m3ds
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,482 posts
There's a demo out now for those of us sitting on the fence. I'm currently downloading it to see what this is like.

Karko

Karko
  • Members
  • 3,034 posts
QUOTE (m3ds @ Dec 16 2007, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a demo out now for those of us sitting on the fence. I'm currently downloading it to see what this is like.

I really dont think a demo would be too good.. The prologue of the game is really something you have to endure rather than enjoy.. It's not till you start hunting down the hellhound that it becomes any fun imo.

m3ds

m3ds
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,482 posts
Ya. The demo is the opening of the game until you get your first spell. Then it skips ahead up to a cutscene with a women and her son being chased by some wild dogs. There's more too it, but I haven't had a chance to play the rest due to a lack of time.

the_king

the_king
  • Members
  • 545 posts
  • xfire:theacclaimed
  • Interests:Games, Music, Skiing
  • Xbox / GFWL:theacclaimed
It sounds alright to me, but I just don't know if I want to spend the money on it. Theres so many other games to play right now as well.

m3ds

m3ds
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,482 posts
Too true. That's pretty much the reason why I haven't picked it up yet. I think I'll pick it up once things slow down a little.

pimparooni

pimparooni
  • Members
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Pwning ppl lol
The Witcher is really worth your money. First of all, its a VERY long game with loads of sidequests. The graphics are nice and scale pretty well. Animations are nice, but sometimes you'd like to have more unique animations during discussions. This game is more of an adventure RPG than an Action RPG (like Oblivion). It was made by a polish dev, so the translations may be poor at times but in my version (in french), voice acting is still top notch. The decisions system in this game is IMO the best since fallout 2.

TBH the only downsides i can find is the numerous bugs, long and frequent loading times and how the game is not fully ''free roaming''.
Now playing in april/may

AoC
TF2
Some CoD4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users