Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Across The Universe

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

ya_ba

ya_ba

Best General Discushun Contributor | Also, do one!

• GA Private
  • 6,992 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in a lot of things buuuuuuut I'm not gonna list them, k? k ;D
  • Gamer Army ID:2645
QUOTE (Sikotik @ Feb 11 2008, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, I had a sneaking suspicion that was Bono..

Personally I think I Want To Hold Your Hand was the best in terms of performance, but my favorite scene was Strawberry Fields Forever, followed by Come Together.

Yeah, it's Bono - don't you recognize the face? icon_razz.gif
And if not the face... His voice lol
Though I agree, I Want To Hold Your Hand was breath-taking.

Dude.
yael.png

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,927 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Sikotik @ Feb 11 2008, 01:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, I had a sneaking suspicion that was Bono..

Personally I think I Want To Hold Your Hand was the best in terms of performance, but my favorite scene was Strawberry Fields Forever, followed by Come Together.

My Favorite was "Because" and ""Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!" were my fav songs. I am the Walrus was really cool, but Bono is a asshat, tbh.

ya_ba

ya_ba

• GA Private
  • 6,992 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in a lot of things buuuuuuut I'm not gonna list them, k? k ;D
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Feb 11 2008, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Favorite was "Because" and ""Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!" were my fav songs. I am the Walrus was really cool, but Bono is a asshat, tbh.

Were you high during the movie!?

Dude.
yael.png

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,927 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (ya_ba @ Feb 11 2008, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Were you high during the movie!?

No, real sober. You don't have to be high to appreciate art direction. The Gymnast's dressed in red with the big heads were cool because they shot it with a slower film then the rest giving them a odd jumpy look.

ya_ba

ya_ba

• GA Private
  • 6,992 posts
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Feb 11 2008, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, real sober. You don't have to be high to appreciate art direction. The Gymnast's dressed in red with the big heads were cool because they shot it with a slower film then the rest giving them a odd jumpy look.

Yes, it was artistic, but I couldn't bear looking at it, the music and visuals gave me a headache. Seriously.

Dude.
yael.png

Hrugnir

Hrugnir

The Disciple

• Retired Staff
  • 5,278 posts
  • xfire:hrugnir
  • Interests:Gaming, Music, Theology, Mythology, Eschathology, Philosophy, Psychology.
  • Wii:1887372691017334
  • Gamer Army ID:165
So considering I can enjoy most music if it's in a movie (and not Imagine or She Loves Me Yeah Yeah Yeah), and I like maybe 8 Beatles songs a lot, do you think I'll be able to enjoy this? I usually don't hate a movie unless it has a stupid script... Which a lot of musicals have, I guess... Hmm...

ST1DinOH

ST1DinOH

Master Debater 08

• Members
  • 7,272 posts
  • Interests:fireworks, weed,
how to make this movie...

mix together equal parts of the wall and the beatles in a bowl untill smooth.
add a teaspoon of westside story
bake on high for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
garnish with 60's refferance before serving.

serves 4

EDIT:

good movie to watch with a girl TBH. i'm not a huge fan of the ultra gay cheesy parts where it was like every shitty musical i've ever seen...but thoes parts were tollerable and women like that shit for some dumb reason. before watching this film i was anxious and ready to be pissed if they butchered any beatles songs...but i was pleasantly suprised. not only did they not butcher the songs, but they sung some of them better than the original. and thats hard for me to say considering the level of beatles fan i consider myself to be. this movie is perfect to watch on a small dose of shrooms with a girl. great visuals, great music, mixed with a love story to springboard a little post movie humping. the strawberry fields scene tripped me the fuck out, same with the acid cool-aide test. crazy shit.

the part many people seem to be missing is how well this movie is put together to tie in all the music with the story with the events taking place in history. i mean my god man can you imagine the hours and hours it must have taken to get this whole thing to gel together right?

the story, the music, and the timeline needed to fit in order for this to work, and it worked.

this is deffinatley going in my "trippy movie" collection. finaly a movie comes out that i wouldn't feel right not paying for. first time in a whiel i'll actually go out and buy a DVD instead of getting it for free online.

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
I finally got around to seeing this last night. The gf had been insisting since it came out on DVD.
I didn't think it was my kind of film before hand. After seeing it, I have to say, it was pretty damn good.
I could have gone without the parts with the really weird tripped out guy and the blue people, but overall, great movie.
Also, it had what was probably the best non-Beatles version of Helter Skelter I've heard.
IPB Image

crashMMVII

crashMMVII
  • Members
  • 363 posts
  • xfire:crashmmvii
  • Xbox / GFWL:x Crash INC
Sorry to kinda necro this thread...

But I just watched this all the way through (completely sober btw) and i LOVED it. Actually got the soundtrack before completely watching the movie, so I think that made the movie a bit more enjoyable. Definitely the best movie I've seen in a loooong time.

QUOTE (Jayl3w @ Nov 13 2008, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Smell that guys? It smells like douche.
Someone bought my cologne! :D

The Colonel

The Colonel

The Ghost of Christmas Past

• Retired Staff
  • 7,150 posts
I liked it a lot, my only qualm, per se, was that I was raised to the Beatles, so some of the voices did not feel right to me in certain songs.
And like that, he was gone.

the_wandererererrr

the_wandererererrr
  • Banned
  • 677 posts
artsy movies are always like that

people who don't get it say wtf and get everyone to say it sucks, but the people who see it and get it kind of cancel them out to the point that there is no real general consensus on how the movie really is.

Blanetrain

Blanetrain
  • GA Private
  • 1,163 posts
  • xfire:blanetrain
  • Interests:Whatever you want them to be.
  • Steam ID:blanethetrain
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
  • Gamer Army ID:2367
  • Company:India
Yes the Bono scenes were a trip themselves. Awesome movie though. What I do remember of it ...

Would you like to look at some of my wares?

http://www.twitch.tv/blanetrain

Sentry

Sentry
  • Members
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Film, music, animation, writing, all storytelling mediums really, photography, gaming, webcomics, all things delicious or awesome (not to the excluision of things both delicious AND awesome), debate, business, showers, couture, softness, hats, language, science, dreams, irony, humour, wit, and lists.
When it comes to modern musicals in film, I tend to like them on a scene-by-scene/song-by-song basis. I had much the same reaction with Rent and would estimate that I really enjoyed a notch less than 2/3 of both.

Narratives in film and narratives in live musical performances simply differ greatly due to the nature of the mediums.

BogusMeatFactory

BogusMeatFactory
  • GA Corporal
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:Pwning, writing, reviewing, music composition, acting, programming
  • Xbox / GFWL:BogusMeatFactor
  • Wii:6374897161850475
  • Gamer Army ID:3688
  • Company:Golf
I for one disliked this movie a lot. I am not a fan of a montage thrown together with a flimsy plot and random beatles songs plastered together to form an almost sensible form of cohesion.

It's cool if you were looking at it for a music and visual aspect, but even that stretches it a bit. Character development did not exist at all and many held no purpose at all (don't get me started on the point of Prudence). This seemed like a fan film that tried so hard to cram reasons to play certain Beatles songs like Dear Prudence, Jude and many many more which had no purpose to the actual content of the movie itself.

The title also worked hard into the shock and awe aspects of carrying a convoluted message. They show violent images of the Detroit riots with almost no reason (it took me and everyone else I knew forever to understand it was used to introduce a character who, once again, held no real purpose or importance to the story).

I just felt the film was forced and awkward. Some of the songs were remade very well, while others were lacking and many of the songs had no point to the film itself.

It's cool that people enjoyed it, more power to you, but for me, I felt it was a self-absorbed political film that tried too hard to push a message across and it getting lost in the medium.

lolcrica90

lolcrica90
  • Members
  • 2,033 posts
  • Interests:plays guitar.
the fist time is saw this film, had just smoked a joint, walk into my flat and the scene where the brother getting recruited into the army was playing. and to this day those were the best damn special effects i have ever seen. this is a beautiful film to experience high. and yes i did just necro this thread.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
QUOTE (lolcrica90 @ May 9 2011, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the fist time is saw this film, had just smoked a joint, walk into my flat and the scene where the brother getting recruited into the army was playing. and to this day those were the best damn special effects i have ever seen. this is a beautiful film to experience high. and yes i did just necro this thread.

It's okay because this movie is good enough to keep talking about

Except for any scene involving BONO

lolcrica90

lolcrica90
  • Members
  • 2,033 posts
QUOTE (Nevermore @ May 9 2011, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's okay because this movie is good enough to keep talking about

Except for any scene involving BONO

those scenes were pretty fucking trippy as well. but what's with the negativity towards bono? for his role in the film i think he did it well enough. regardless of whether he is a douche or not.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
QUOTE (lolcrica90 @ May 9 2011, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
those scenes were pretty fucking trippy as well. but what's with the negativity towards bono? for his role in the film i think he did it well enough. regardless of whether he is a douche or not.

His doucheness killed it for me.

MaxDamage

MaxDamage

IRC Awards 2006: Friendliest | i r beefcaek. ph33r me!

• GA Private
  • 3,669 posts
  • xfire:maxdamagus
  • Interests:Rockin', art, gaming, listening to good music, etc...
  • Wii:will rock you
  • Gamer Army ID:108
Dunno when the Bono hate started, but U2 rocked the latter half of the 80's.

How can anyone hate Achtung Baby?
Fantastic album.

Or was it just the 'iPod: U2 edition' that did it?
They made mediocre music after Achtung, definitely went downhill in 90's.

Still hold them in too high regard to hate the guy, they put out some quality stuff before the fluff.

He's Irish, he's an egotistical prick sure.
They call it character over there.

Love is blindness, I don't wanna see!

Not seen this movie yet, is it worth watching if I'm not a pothead wastoid?

Edited by MaxDamage, 09 May 2011 - 07:37 PM.

UUr16xn.png
I don't need tattoos to look hard. I AM hard.

lolcrica90

lolcrica90
  • Members
  • 2,033 posts
QUOTE (MaxDamage @ May 10 2011, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not seen this movie yet, is it worth watching if I'm not a pothead wastoid?

yes this movie is most definitely worth seeing regardless of your state of mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users