Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Post your PC specs, pics and Gaming Area!

* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
8018 replies to this topic

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Samsung F3. Go multiple drives if you want over 1TB..

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,269 posts
  • Interests:FPS.
  • Steam ID:spowis
  • Xbox / GFWL:smpowis
  • PSN:smpowis
  • Rofl-Rupees:0
  • Gamer Army ID:4794
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (Weiman @ Nov 3 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Samsung F3. Go multiple drives if you want over 1TB..

Yeah, I've just been busy looking up on them, they seem to go for about €50 for a 1TB, which is pretty much exactly what I was expecting to pay. Awesome, thanks man!

Left_4_Dead_Signature_by_Sitic.png

Jonarooni

Jonarooni
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • xfire:jonarooni
  • Interests:Pure Pwnage<br />Computers
  • PSN:Jonarooni
Alienware:

I decided to splash out on a max spec Alienware... cost me US$6,500 but i LOVE IT
it took me a while to decide whether i should go for a laptop or desktop... but i went with the desktop

Overclocked Intel Core™i7 975 3.86GHz
Dual 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
12GB DDR3 1333MHz
2x 640GB SATA-II + external WD 1TB
6X Blu-ray Disc Burner
Killer Xeno Pro (helps for online gaming...)
Using a G9 Logitech gaming mouse
Plugged up to my Samsung Series 5 32" (with PS3)... awesome!

obviosly uses liquid cooling... DUH!

its quite alot of money to spend i admit... and im not rich... but i saved up for 2 years working at a fast food place... though i have to say... it is worth it!... recived the delivery 12 days ago... now for me there is no such thing as lag or anything... i can run 2-5 games at once (depending on the games(not that i do))
IPB Image

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
QUOTE (Jonarooni @ Nov 4 2009, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no other way to put this..that card is a 100% waste of money.

You spent 6.5K on a PC and you didn't get an SSD or even a high-RPM Harddrive? -_-

QUOTE (Jonarooni @ Nov 4 2009, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cost me US$6,500 but i LOVE IT
its quite alot of money to spend i admit... and im not rich... but i saved up for 2 years working at a fast food place... though i have to say... it is worth it!...

Worth it compared to what? Building it yourself? I doubt it..why would you spend SO much on SUCH an income, there's SO MUCH ELSE you could buy with that. For starters..what are you even using for sound?

i can run 2-5 games at once (depending on the games(not that i do))

The 'being able to do X, but not gonna' usually means you overdid it..

I dunno man, I would never have bought it and would probably send it back before buyer's remorse settles in when it's too late.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Ineffable

Ineffable

Gimme dat chawklit!

• Global Moderators
  • 7,206 posts
  • PSN:Ineff_
QUOTE (Jonarooni @ Nov 4 2009, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Money thrown away DUH!

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,269 posts
  • Interests:FPS.
  • Steam ID:spowis
  • Xbox / GFWL:smpowis
  • PSN:smpowis
  • Rofl-Rupees:0
  • Gamer Army ID:4794
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (Jonarooni @ Nov 4 2009, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I decided to splash out on a max spec Alienware... cost me US$6,500 but i LOVE IT

I'm getting the impression that Alienware overcharge their customers slightly. I mean i7's are damn nice and all, but I reckon you could have gotten away with paying $2kUSD, if that; if you had a shop around. A lot of what you're describing too also seems to be a bit un-necessary in all honesty, I'd have been quite happy to run just one game at a time, seeing as I only have two hands. icon_wink.gif

Still, completely destroys my setup nonetheless!

Left_4_Dead_Signature_by_Sitic.png

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

Best HW & SW Contributor 08 & 09

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dont like
  • PSN:Completely detest
  • Wii:Cant afford
QUOTE (Weiman @ Nov 4 2009, 04:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You spent 6.5K on a PC and you didn't get an SSD or even a high-RPM Harddrive? -_-

My initial thoughts exactly
What's more 640GB is a poorly chosen size, i mean if you're going to use regular mechanical drives you should atleast be getting 7200RPM 500GB platter drives.

Also consider:
2 years saving for it
~18 months before it can't run something on highest

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
  • xfire:r3troviru5
  • Interests:sc2
Overclocked Intel Core™i7 975 3.86GHz
Dual 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
12GB DDR3 1333MHz
6X Blu-ray Disc Burner

processor about 1k
video cards about 1.4 k
could have gotten dominator ram 1600mhz for 140$ per 4 gigs
hard drives, could have spent a few hundred on velociraptors with another few hundred on ssd
killer nic--> no

Im sorry, i dont mean to be a bitch or anything, but where does that 6.5k become justified?
No mention of sound card.
and theres no peripherals.
Even throwing in a full lian li case and custom watercooling would bring you to about 3-3.5k.

6.5k-3.5k= 3k
thats like 30 hookers.

Clarkey

Clarkey
  • Members
  • 2,654 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Clarketk
  • PSN:Clarkek
  • Wii:4185422692335237
QUOTE (Jonarooni @ Nov 4 2009, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Jonarooni @ Nov 4 2009, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Xfire - All Time: Maple Story 371 Hours.

You could have saved $6,200 and gotten a netbook.

Edited by Clarkey, 04 November 2009 - 09:11 PM.

Lowkee

Lowkee
  • GA Private
  • 1,806 posts
  • xfire:Bacheezi
  • Xbox / GFWL:Bacheezi
  • Gamer Army ID:4419
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - 114.99
MSI 295 X2 - $1049
G.Skill 12gb - 402$
Asus P6T Deluxe - $339
I7-975 - $1139
X8 blu ray - 189
OCZ Vertex Turbo - 549

Total $3786 CND

Add another 500$ or so for win 7 + mouse + case

Yup, you got hosed by going to alienware.

On a lighter note, I got myself water cooling icon_biggrin.gif i'll post pictures later once i work out some cable management issues

BlG_BALLS

BlG_BALLS
  • Members
  • 222 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:autoplay
QUOTE (Lowkee @ Nov 6 2009, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - 114.99
MSI 295 X2 - $1049
G.Skill 12gb - 402$
Asus P6T Deluxe - $339
I7-975 - $1139
X8 blu ray - 189
OCZ Vertex Turbo - 549

Total $3786 CND

Add another 500$ or so for win 7 + mouse + case

Yup, you got hosed by going to alienware.

On a lighter note, I got myself water cooling icon_biggrin.gif i'll post pictures later once i work out some cable management issues

Lowkee.... Is that what you purchased,or were you posting a potential build etc? If your sys,what kinda monitor you gonna use with it?

Lowkee

Lowkee
  • GA Private
  • 1,806 posts
  • xfire:Bacheezi
  • Xbox / GFWL:Bacheezi
  • Gamer Army ID:4419
QUOTE (BlG_BALLS @ Nov 6 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lowkee.... Is that what you purchased,or were you posting a potential build etc? If your sys,what kinda monitor you gonna use with it?

no, i did a similar build to the guy above who bought an alienware to see what it would cost from newegg.

ACG137

ACG137
  • GA Private
  • 1,402 posts
  • xfire:acg137
  • Interests:Pwning Philippine noobs<br />Airsoft
  • Steam ID:acg137
  • Xbox / GFWL:ACG137
  • PSN:alv_atgo
  • Gamer Army ID:2874
  • Company:Phi
I'd rather go with the setup Lowkee made and find one of those blackbird002 cases over the alienware case today; the ones today just look butt ugly.

Pandaemon

Pandaemon
  • Members
  • 125 posts
QUOTE (Clarkey @ Nov 4 2009, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HOT

Gold Leader

Gold Leader
  • GA Private
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:3dfx Graphics, pure pwnage, StarWars, Sting &amp; The Police, Dinosaurs, Air Force jets and bombers worldwide!,, MC-Hammer, 50Cent, and DJ-Tiesto + Chicane
  • Gamer Army ID:3981
QUOTE (Weiman @ Nov 4 2009, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no other way to put this..that card is a 100% waste of money.

Worth it compared to what? Building it yourself? I doubt it..why would you spend SO much on SUCH an income, there's SO MUCH ELSE you could buy with that. For starters..what are you even using for sound?

The 'being able to do X, but not gonna' usually means you overdid it..

I dunno man, I would never have bought it and would probably send it back before buyer's remorse settles in when it's too late.

heh moderate setup if you'd ask me but way too expensive rofl.
for that money I could of bought this icon_wink.gif

Dual Intel Xeon Nehalem 3.2Ghz [ Dual Quad Cores with Hyper Threading and with QPI up to 6.4 GT/s]
Supermicro X8DA3 --> http://www.supermicr.../5500/X8DA3.cfm
3x HD 5870 1GB in tri Fire, yes theat chipset on that chipset supports both SLI and CFX icon_wink.gif since it's based on the X58 chipset but then withSMP support for more CPU's ram and so on.

If extended ATX isn't your thing , shed no tears there's a very suitable ATX formatted one as well icon_smile.gif
The Supermicro X8DAL-3 --> http://www.supermicr...500/X8DAL-3.cfm
So mobo wise that's up to you icon_smile.gif

HDD's 6x Western Digital Green Series 1.5 TB's ina raid 5 array
6x 4GB DDR3-1333 ECC reg from Kingston [Tri Channel DDR3-1333 per CPU which is Hexa Channel DDR3-1333 overall]
a good ATA 133 DVD re-writer I personally choose Plextor for this job, I'm using the Plextor PX-820A it's a fine drive unit and never failed me once icon_smile.gif But Lite-On seems to be avery good alternative as well.
Anyways as for the rest a Lian Li PC-A7110 Black case, same case I use now but somewhat modified. mine is the PC-A7010 Black.

Anyways all of this may cost about 5000 euro's roughtly a bit less but etherway it would anhilate that Corei7 Xtreme with plentiful ease and for the same amount , about 87% more computing power CPU wise and VPU wise over the 180% so yeah You are right Weiman, he has made a very bad move icon_wink.gif

Anyways a Dual Nehalem is fun but not worth it, So Dual Istanbuls @ 2600 a 2800 Mhz is planned as my next CPU upgrade from the Dual Shanghai 2380 C2 I am using now icon_smile.gif, but this will take place somewhere next year I think.

Here is a project I am working on this week icon_smile.gif It's not complete yet but almost it is a 3dfx PC for them 3dfx lans taht do take place here quite often icon_smile.gif
Building in progress icon_wink.gif

Well my setup isn't ready yet heh, need a PSU in there which I do have around an Enermax Modu 82+ 525 Watt PSU with Cable management icon_smile.gif
then the HDD"s 1x Seagate Barracuda V 80GB UATA 133 7200rpm as main HDD and a Western Diital Caviar SE 500GB UATA 133 7200rpm as game HDD.
Then it will get rounded UATA cabling from Sharkoon and I will try and seek a rounded FDD cable as well.

It will get a new Intel Pro 1000 GT PCI lanadapter and a 4 ported USB 2.0 PCI card and for the CPU i ordered an 80mm Enermax Cluster fan withy white leds icon_smile.gif

The setup will be like this icon_smile.gif

AMD AthlonXP 2700+ T-Bred-B, 2167Mhz, 256KB L2 , 333Mhz FSB
EPoX EP-8K3A+, VIA Apollo KT333 Chipset
3x 512MB PC-3200 Kingston Hyper-X CL2 @ PC-2700 CL1.5
3dfx Voodoo5 55500 AGP 64MB Rev.A 2500
Creative Audigy2 Platinum
1x 80GB Seagate Barracuda V UATA 133, 7200rpm
1x 500GB Western Digital Caviar SE UATA 133 7200rpm
DVD player from LG a 40x/16x hehe

Windows 2000 Professional US + Service Pack 4 & Rollup 01 for Service Pack 4
DX 9.0c
SFFT Alpha 41 Modified by ps47 for the 5500 AGP.

Got this for a neat 250 euro's, 3dfx card's aren't cheap neither are good parts but hey it's still a decent price for a good 3dfx system that supports all Voodoo5 6000 revisions icon_wink.gif

Heh no Duallie this time, just because it's a system with a different layout and a different purpose cool.gif

Edited by Gold Leader, 06 November 2009 - 07:46 PM.

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
QUOTE (Gold Leader @ Nov 6 2009, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
heh moderate setup if you'd ask me but way too expensive rofl.
for that money I could of bought this icon_wink.gif

Dual Intel Xeon Nehalem 3.2Ghz [ Dual Quad Cores with Hyper Threading and a QPI of 6.4]
Supermicro X8DA3 --> http://www.supermicr.../5500/X8DA3.cfm
3x HD 5870 1GB in tri Fire, yes theat chipset on that chipset supports both SLI and CFX icon_wink.gif since it's based on the X58 chipset but then withSMP support for more CPU's ram and so on.

If extended ATX isn't your thing , shed no tears there's a very suitable ATX formatted one as well icon_smile.gif
The Supermicro X8DAL-3 --> http://www.supermicr...500/X8DAL-3.cfm
So mobo wise that's up to you icon_smile.gif

HDD's 6x Western Digital Green Series 1.5 TB's ina raid 5 array
6x 4GB DDR3-1333 ECC reg from Kingston [Tri Channel DDR3-1333 per CPU which is Hexa Channel DDR3-1333 overall]
a good ATA 133 DVD re-writer I personally choose Plextor for this job, I'm using the Plextor PX-820A it's a fine drive unit and never failed me once icon_smile.gif But Lite-On seems to be avery good alternative as well.
Anyways as for the rest a Lian Li PC-A7110 Black case, same case I use now but somewhat modified. mine is the PC-A7010 Black.

Anyways all of this may cost about 5000 euro's roughtly a bit less but etherway it would anhilate that Corei7 Xtreme with plentiful ease and for the same amount , about 87% more computing power CPU wise and VPU wise over the 180% so yeah You are right Weiman, he has made a very bad move icon_wink.gif

Not sure i get the suggestion of green series drives there, given ample budget at least go black for speed i would think.
If it was me for mechanical drives either highpoint rocketraid 4320 + 4x spinpoint F3 1TB RAID10 or something based on either SSD (intel X25-M) or 15k 2.5" SAS
I'm a fan of keeping bulk storage network attached rather than local, lower risk of damaging data due to a bad overclock, upload at LANs dont slow your gaming and gigabit is plenty fast (if not you can get dual or quad gigabit trunks, 10gigE is still a bit expensive)

Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

Gold Leader

Gold Leader
  • GA Private
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:3dfx Graphics, pure pwnage, StarWars, Sting &amp; The Police, Dinosaurs, Air Force jets and bombers worldwide!,, MC-Hammer, 50Cent, and DJ-Tiesto + Chicane
It's running now icon_smile.gif I did decide to keep the original flat cables , because of the small case thesewere much easier to fold and store away, them rounded ones were too stiff, so I left them aside.

It looks like this now icon_smile.gif

Also what I did was replace the Lockheed F19 Stealth Fighter with Gold Leader's Y-Wing Starfighter, as being Gold Leader, this does fit my system alot more cool.gif

Win2K is running top notch it boots fast, runs stable and no lockups yet at low, medium and high loads.

DXX-Rebirth runs perfect too, this time I did not need to change the reso manually from 800 c600, leav e the program boot it again and then manually to 1024 x 768, this time it just booted at 800 x 600 and I could change the reso within the game and without leaving it and go back and change it again.

This is still needed under 98SE, XP and Vista, so odd that 2000 does not have this issue.

Anyways not that it matters it has 2000 and so far everything is running fine, I'll make some pics today and post them, only the system needs is a 4 ported PCI USB card and a game drive of 500GB from Western Digital.

As you can see the molex power connector is available and for the rest the layout and FF, System is runn;'n just fine icon_cool.gif

Here the Voodoo5 in action!

Here the rear side of the V5:

So here's my system so far, it's content of games is low because I don't have that new HDD yet.

But so far so good! :thumbup:

All the systems together:

Edited by Gold Leader, 08 November 2009 - 03:49 PM.

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
Looking good there Gold Leader
Tho on the subject of lockups they get somewhat less interesting once you study them academically, you realize that given the hardware is behaving correctly they're mostly the result of poor programming.

Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

Gold Leader

Gold Leader
  • GA Private
  • 826 posts
QUOTE (7h3 n00b m4573r @ Nov 9 2009, 12:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking good there Gold Leader
Tho on the subject of lockups they get somewhat less interesting once you study them academically, you realize that given the hardware is behaving correctly they're mostly the result of poor programming.

heh thx man, well my systems always function stable , since I only biuild stable setups that just work, no funny stuff here.

about that previous post it was just an example of what I'd buy for 6.5K USD icon_wink.gif anyways that is all icon_smile.gif

3dfx hardware isn't strange it's godlike, but that's my opinion about it as that of the other 12.000 3dfx's out there icon_wink.gif we have been keeping the 3dfx spirit alive since 3dfx started and left the market but then seem to have never left us, which is what counts. cool.gif

Bboboo

Bboboo
  • GA Private
  • 1,348 posts
  • xfire:Bboboo
  • Xbox / GFWL:Bboboo
  • PSN:Bboboo
  • Gamer Army ID:3400
QUOTE (Jonarooni @ Nov 4 2009, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alienware

Sums it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic