Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Computer Building

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

TheContractor

TheContractor
  • Banned
  • 564 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:2656
Well, back when I was an amateur builder (Only built 4x), I was reading a manual on how to build PC's. And almost all of the manuals warned about building on carpet. So since then I have been paranoid and build on my marble kitchen tile. I am afraid, and I liked to start building in my room. Is the static high enough to kill me let alone burn me?

Raving Looney

Raving Looney
  • GA Private
  • 625 posts
  • xfire:reaperman555
  • Gamer Army ID:2161
did your school not teach you about static electricity? If you went around your house for 20mins rubbing your feet along the floor and touched something metal, the static wouldn't do any damage. If your building a computer on carpet, if your really worried just ground yourself by touching the computer case everyonce in a while (as long as the case is metal)

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

Best HW & SW Contributor 08 & 09

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dont like
  • PSN:Completely detest
  • Wii:Cant afford
Lol, static? Kill you? no chance.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Unless you star fiddling in the power supply while it's turned on but that's a different story icon_razz.gif

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Sep 16 2007, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you star fiddling in the power supply while it's turned on but that's a different story icon_razz.gif

Umm yeah, not unless you touch the AC parts

Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

AZN_L473ncy

AZN_L473ncy
  • Members
  • 612 posts
You could get one of those grounding wrist strap thing's. They basically let the charge bleed slowly due to a resistor from' what I'm told. My dad actually has a few of them because he used to tinker around with computers a lot (at least he's not some computer noob like most people his age are).

Otherwise you can get those ESD mats, it's recommended that you get a ESD wrist strap to give yourself some added protection.

I built my last rig without a ESD strap because I couldn't find it and it was on a carpet-like material so as long as you have some way of grounding yourself then you should be good to go.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
lol there is no way you would ever kill yourself from the static that you build up. The only thing that could happen is you wreak your PC parts by static overcharge, but even that is rare and usually doesnt happen unless your rubbing a balloon on your head for 5 mins then you touch your processor.

Orky

Orky
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts
The static could only harm the electric equipment that is evidently worth more than you. Don't do it, simple as that. You can afford to spend a whole couple of hours OUTSIDE of your room.
-Your Mom-

Starblaiz

Starblaiz

Here comes the sun!

• Global Mods - GA Brig. Genereral
  • 5,287 posts
  • Interests:Games (obviously :P ), Programming, Physics (especially Astrophysics)
  • Steam ID:virus52
  • Gamer Army ID:225
  • Company:Gamma
By rights, you SHOULD have an anti-static mat. Fortunately, the smart tech guys that make this stuff realized long ago that noobs were starting to build their own pcs and do silly things, so they made them more rugged. If you saw the conditions ive built PC's and stored components under before, you wouldnt worry about carpet discharge. If you have a Tesla Coil in your room, you may want to invest in an anti-static mat, but other than that you should be fine icon_wink.gif

Javea1

Javea1

Member Of The Month October 2007 | Best RTS Contributor

• Members
  • 1,681 posts
  • xfire:Javea1
  • Interests:RTS
  • Xbox / GFWL:Javea
  • Wii:4339-2250-4654
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Sep 16 2007, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only thing that could happen is you wreak your PC parts by static overcharge, but even that is rare and usually doesnt happen unless your rubbing a balloon on your head for 5 mins then you touch your processor.

Haha.

I was this close || to sigging that. icon_smile.gif

-Jav
"Gonna cook a pizza... think about the patch." -Day[9]

stalker[NL]

stalker[NL]
  • Members
  • 268 posts
  • xfire:stalkergamer1256
erm it does happen, i done it whith my pc and i didnt rub a balloon on my head for 5 minutes.

but than again i didnt earth my self properly >_< so just tough the computer case and you will be fine.
IPB Image

Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson
  • Members
  • 888 posts
  • xfire:heathenkiller
I used my bed.

Silverskyy

Silverskyy
  • Members
  • 28 posts
Silly people.
All you need to do is touch your PSU before every few minutes to discharge and you'll be fine...

Look to the Sky.

TheContractor

TheContractor
  • Banned
  • 564 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:2656
QUOTE (Silverskyy @ Sep 17 2007, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Silly people.
All you need to do is touch your PSU before every few minutes to discharge and you'll be fine...

Oh really? Alright, I will!

RaiDer

RaiDer
  • Members
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Probably something to do with W33d.
It's not wise to lay out your hardware on a carpet or build a PC on a carpet, or arrange your GF8 SLi of every version out unboxed on your couch like some dooch at OCN did.

QUOTE (Silverskyy @ Sep 17 2007, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Silly people.

Some PSU's hold a charge after they've been turned off, you can check for this by shutting down your PC switching of the power then pressing the power button on your PC, fans etc should start for a second. So touching your PSU to earth yourself in some cases isn't a good idea either.

tbh.

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
QUOTE (RaiDer @ Sep 17 2007, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not wise to lay out your hardware on a carpet or build a PC on a carpet, or arrange your GF8 SLi of every version out unboxed on your couch like some dooch at OCN did.

Bah, im always doin that and ive never had a problem

QUOTE (RaiDer @ Sep 17 2007, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So touching your PSU to earth yourself in some cases isn't a good idea either.

Yeah, coz those capacators in the PSU totally have enough charge to kill you icon_razz.gif
Only place in comps that sorta thing is an issue is if you go opening up CRTs, they can hold a charge which will actually do you damage.

I do craploads of building/servicing comps on carpet (lost count of the number of times but would have to be over 2 dozen easily) and cannot say that i have once had a component die from static discharge.

Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

RaiDer

RaiDer
  • Members
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Probably something to do with W33d.
QUOTE (7h3 n00b m4573r @ Sep 18 2007, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bah, im always doin that and ive never had a problem
Yeah, coz those capacators in the PSU totally have enough charge to kill you icon_razz.gif
Only place in comps that sorta thing is an issue is if you go opening up CRTs, they can hold a charge which will actually do you damage.
I do craploads of building/servicing comps on carpet (lost count of the number of times but would have to be over 2 dozen easily) and cannot say that i have once had a component die from static discharge.

Won't be enough to kill you I wouldn't have thought but still, it's an unwanted jolt, nice to avoid icon_smile.gif. Personally it seems, the only time I really handle building rigs, is when it's new builds for friends and family, sure it's an uber slim chance that hardware will get wtfpwnt by static discharge. I'd rather just play it safe, especially with brand new pricey HW icon_razz.gif. If I where ripping a 5 year old PC apart for w/e reason, I prolly wouldn't bother being so careful.

VermillioN911

VermillioN911
  • Members
  • 184 posts
My brother actually killed a mobo from static, and he was on tile too. And it was my pc so i cried a lil bit.

amorpheous

amorpheous

The old-timer that just can't stay away.

• Retired Staff
  • 2,466 posts
  • xfire:amorpheous
  • Gamer Army ID:18
Built mine on a PVC mat. I do upgrades or just general tinkering around while on the carpet. I just touch the copper pipes under the radiator once in a while to discharge static.
(Fasc was here)
n00bschool Lesson #1 || n00bschool Lesson #2
Posting and you. || FAQ
QUOTE (EEDOK @ Apr 20 2007, 06:06 PM)
Also you are not your user id or your join date, you are not your post count, you are not your internet connection or your pc. Now start acting like it.

<+masslac> lol you fucking batshit insane bastard
< Femme> YOu know what I loved in avp?
< Femme> The fucking flying vagina alien thigns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users