Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Console Wars

* * * - - 14 votes

• Please log in to reply
4636 replies to this topic

m3ds

m3ds
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,482 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:2994
Debating one consoles superiority to another is something that comes up a lot here, so instead of creating topics or debating in unrelated ones we've decided that it would be best to just create a single topic where people can discuss their opinions on the various consoles.

This also means that Console War topics and posts found outside this one will be dealt with (A lock or splitting of unwanted posts from a topic).

- m3ds

Also, Posts with actual arguments are encouraged, so try to refrain from "OMG! PS3 IS GAY CUS IT SUX!" Other than that, you guys are free to talk about things here, so have at it.

Edited by m3ds, 17 September 2007 - 12:10 AM.

Joby

Joby

I love it when a plan comes together.

• Retired Staff
  • 6,538 posts
  • xfire:joby67
  • Interests:Well a young man<br />He ain't got nothin' in the world these days<br />I said a young man<br />Ain't got nothin' in the world these days
  • Steam ID:purepwnagejoby
  • Wii:0958641680091840

QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Oct 30 2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
brb not picking up any woman

A completely unbiased review...

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*
  • Guests
ill go ahead and start this baby off with my personal views of each company (rather than each console).

Nintendo-

if they had competed with sony or ms directly, nintendo would have failed. thats all there is to it in my book. that is why i think the wii is the most amazingly intelligent business choice ever made in games. they didnt have the money to compete with the big companies....so what did they do? they DIDNT compete with the big companies. instead, they said "hey, why not build a gaming console for the cheaper, more main stream crowd? and then we give it some really cool device that is easier to use?" and i think they pulled it off. they found that other place in the gaming industry and ripped it open and started to make gaming babies faster than rabbits do.

there is a problem though. when these baby gamers develop...where do they go? well, they wont go to nintendo in most cases, so neither sony nor ms have lost out on this one. if anything, this is expanding that market as well. nintendo needs some "hard core" games and it needs them fast.

however, they did also manage to capture a lot of mid twentys people who have gotten the wii to play the virtual console. that has been VERY successful.

MS-

the first out of the gate this time around. they have the same advantage the ps2 had over the other consoles last time. despite the weaker graphics of the xbox360/ps2, they still came out on top. though the wii is there this time, it might end differently. however, between MS and sony, it seems that things might go the same way.

xbox live has been pushing online gaming for a few years, and though it requires a monthly fee, it has really started to offer some very cool things. iptv, rent movies(in hd no less), game demos, videos, great coverage of events, themes, the little gamer icons, achievements, universal gamer tag, chat via everything, chat with a pc while playing a game...its made it almost as good as sitting next to your buddy when you kill them for the 5th time in a row with the halo TWO pistol. but, not quite that good. none the less, they are pushing the online limits. no handheld? for now, that is smart. they need to take over the ipod first, and i dont see that happening anytime soon (though i confess, i really hate the new ipod nano and the ipod touch doesnt interest me at all).

sony-

ah yes....many know how i feel on THIS topic. lets go over some things.

way to expensive
attempted motion control (cough)
crappy online (free, but with zero options)
and no great exclusives (IN MY OPINION)

there are a lot of little nit picks about things, but those are the main ones that bother me about the console it self.

then there is the whole deal with sony treating gamers like idiots. they tried to feed people pre-rendered video and claimed it as real gameplay? how dumb can people be? they directly lied to people to try and make their console seem better and it simply ISNT. they have terrible business practices and they assumed that no matter what they did, people would eat it up. and its funny, because the rich people who dont play lots of games(but do play some), did eat it up...but the problem is, that wasnt a huge crowd.

the cell processor is NOT 8 active cores and each one is NOT 3.2 ghz.
in the end, it all comes down to the games. cant we all agree on that one? here is how i decide if a gaming console is worth its price or not (and you can use this for yourself to figure out which one is best worth it).

cost of console = C

Price of game = P
number of exclusives YOU really want = G

P * G = X

if X > C

then the console is worth it.

as such, i figure the wii is worth about 300 bucks, the xbox is worth about 600, and the ps3 is worth about 60 bucks. no typos.

MeTroiD

MeTroiD
  • Retired Staff
  • 3,457 posts
  • Interests:Starcraft, Metroid games, Nintendo, Guitar, Hockey (Maple Leafs fan), Basketball (Toronto Raptors), music includes metallica, dragonforce, trivium, megadeth, pantera and MeTroiD Metal. favourite game of all time is super metroid, love LOTR movies, simply enjoy a nice time chilling with my friends going out to eat or drink (i don't drink but keep them company of course) or just chilling at someones place, watching stuff, talking or playing Wii sports which is the next best new thing to do :) oh and megaman because MegamanXLanDarkZero said so :)
  • Xbox / GFWL:The Man Toss
  • Wii:2302372127657498
one point i think people neglect, although the 360 snatched up alot of exclusives from PS3, the fact remains is the PS3 still has these titles, plus hopefully other stuff that'll come in the near future, i mean, if someone buys a PS3, it's not like there won't be any games to play, just cuz they are going multiplatform, i don't really see it as a reason to say the PS3 is only worth owning for 1 game (MGS4), it goes both ways if you know what i'm saying, i know the price of the 360 plus those added games is more attractive, but i don't think people think about it from the other side of the fence, just my 2 cents, never looked at it this way before

anywho, nintendo... say what you want about their new approach, i have my own opinions to about it, but as silint Ninjya said, it was damn smart and genious of them to do waht they did, fuck competing with sony and MS, with their kiddy image perceived from the general public, i don't think they were gonna change their opinions anytime soon, it's a big loss for some fans for them to turn this way, but it is genious, and it's paying off big time

Dirge

Dirge

Best Returning Member '09

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
  • Steam ID:Silent_Dirge
  • Gamer Army ID:3524
  • Company:Alpha
The "console wars" is just another blatant marketing ploy where we fork out big bucks for boxes of plastic with metal inside. By purchasing a system or choosing a side, you have already become a part of it. No questions asked.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (MeTroiD @ Sep 11 2007, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
one point i think people neglect, although the 360 snatched up alot of exclusives from PS3, the fact remains is the PS3 still has these titles, plus hopefully other stuff that'll come in the near future, i mean, if someone buys a PS3, it's not like there won't be any games to play, just cuz they are going multiplatform, i don't really see it as a reason to say the PS3 is only worth owning for 1 game (MGS4), it goes both ways if you know what i'm saying, i know the price of the 360 plus those added games is more attractive, but i don't think people think about it from the other side of the fence, just my 2 cents, never looked at it this way before

the thing about that was, Sony wasn't willing to pay for it's exclusives originally. They expected to get the exclusives just because. now, they don't own many AAA franchises themselves, and nobody wants to make exclusives for them because they can make it an exclusive on the 360 or multiplatform it and get more money...
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

haistol

haistol
  • GA Private
  • 5 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:2640
do a comparation between 360 and ps3 is not right because they are of different generations, if Sony wishes competing with 360 single needs ps2, but ps3 is the new generation. clear that 360 have more games and more exclusive than ps3, 360 are a year older than ps3.

360 are a very good console, have a great graphical system, pad allows good gameplay and xbox alive has many of the plus. but 360 cannot compete with the preformance of ps3 because Sony has a year to study the limits of the 360 and to do many of changes in its console.

ps3 is the door to a new generation of games but as all change takes time. the companies don't make many games for ps3 because it is a bad console or because it has little public, is because it is a new class of development, how it is to be expected a game company you cannot learn how to use the real Time ray tracing and to do that a good game in the first try.

this is the time for MS to begin to make its task with ps3 for xbox following because the 360 time is count down.

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*
  • Guests
they are the same gen. the xbox graphics card is actually slightly stronger. and the cell processor isnt as good as they make it sound (both consoles can run 6 threads for a game).

and hell, the ps2 came out a year before the xbox and gamecube and it had the worst technology out of all of them, but it won its gen...what makes you think the samething wont happen, except this time with the 360?

haistol

haistol
  • GA Private
  • 5 posts
You have a point, maybe the 360 pwn this gen, maybe not, but what I want to say is that donít hate de console only because sony has a bad politic.

the problem of sony is they think in the Japanese market first, and they live for the technology, think this, when you are in front of your console the less you want is chat, you want pwns others people. When you are out you donít want receive a massage of a noob that say I go pwn you. But the Japanese love that. And for them is playstation network.

For that sony has thousands of desalinated customers. i presume that the 25% of the ps2 games are Japanese exclusive. And the USA remake always sucks. But that don't means the console is bad, is only that sony need to make some change in they business culture.

Look nintendo, they saw that their technology can't compete with MS and SONY. And they start thinking in make something different. they make wii a console portable with a gameplay that take to another level, some wii games are like a drugs, you start to play thinking "what stupid game is this?" and 5 or 6 hours later you still playing the game and you still thinking "it is a stupid game" but you can't stop playing.

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*
  • Guests
2 things

i dont like the ps3 because it is expensive and has NO games i want (exclusives)

i dont like sony because they have lied, cheated, etc etc DIRECTLY to the public and they have tried to make fools of gamers. as such, i have no desire to support them.

Dassault

Dassault
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dassault
I bought a Wii near launch, being a longtime Nintendo fan it was what seemed like a no-brainer. I thought it would be the next huge leap in gaming, would help small developers, and would destroy the competition, and I was wrong. It's basically the GameCube 2. Same games, same crappy online support, same lack of 3rd party developers, same graphics, same gameplay. The only thing the Wiimote is good for it pointing, any other application ends up replacing a button press with an arbitrary and imprecise movement. I found myself returning to the 360 within weeks of buying the system, and I'm in the process of selling the Wii while I can still come out even. I don't necessarily think it's a bad system, but compared to the 360 it's pretty behind, and their stance on online gaming has been the final straw for me.

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,322 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
QUOTE (Silint Ninjya @ Sep 11 2007, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cost of console = C

Price of game = P
number of exclusives YOU really want = G

P * G = X

if X > C

then the console is worth it.

as such, i figure the wii is worth about 300 bucks, the xbox is worth about 600, and the ps3 is worth about 60 bucks. no typos.

I wouldn't say I agree that the PS3 is worth 60 bucks but I definitely agree, at least according to your formula it isn't worth the price atm. If PS3 was 300$ then I'd be all over that. Currently I think if I wanted to choose the console that is the best at this second in time I'd say the xbox 360, simply because it's been out a year longer than the others and has had more time to get some good games out etc., if we leave the 360 where it is now and take the other 2 consoles a year from now and compare, my opinion would be very different.

helpfulh.jpg
Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*
  • Guests
well ya, everyone will have a different value for each console. but i dont lie when i say that the ps3 has like 1 game im really interested in.

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,322 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
QUOTE (Dassault @ Sep 13 2007, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought a Wii near launch, being a longtime Nintendo fan it was what seemed like a no-brainer. I thought it would be the next huge leap in gaming, would help small developers, and would destroy the competition, and I was wrong. It's basically the GameCube 2. Same games, same crappy online support, same lack of 3rd party developers, same graphics, same gameplay. The only thing the Wiimote is good for it pointing, any other application ends up replacing a button press with an arbitrary and imprecise movement. I found myself returning to the 360 within weeks of buying the system, and I'm in the process of selling the Wii while I can still come out even. I don't necessarily think it's a bad system, but compared to the 360 it's pretty behind, and their stance on online gaming has been the final straw for me.

Maybe because the 360 is ahead literally by a year... check the wii next year and see what you think.

QUOTE (Silint Ninjya @ Sep 13 2007, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well ya, everyone will have a different value for each console. but i dont lie when i say that the ps3 has like 1 game im really interested in.

I know I agree it is short on games ( at least ones I want ), but if the price was significantly lower then it might justify the lack of games just like in your formula, the only game I want is LBP, I'm sure I'd enjoy playing some other games for it as well, but the price tag is just a serious problem.

helpfulh.jpg
Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*
  • Guests
well yes udp, thats what the formula is for. =] if it goes down in price, then it doesnt need as many great games to be worth its price. like how a gamecube is only like 60 bucks now. if all you want is smash and metroid prime 1 and 2, then its worth the price. that is the exact point of the formula.

if you feel like there is a game that is worth more than its price, think about how much youd be willing to pay and substitute that amount for the price of the game. like brawl is worth more than 50 bucks to me.

Hades.

Hades.
  • GA Private
  • 4,189 posts
  • Interests:Holy fuck Ive been on these forums for a long time. They pretty much raised me tbh
  • Xbox / GFWL:Undisclosed
  • Wii:Don't want.
  • Gamer Army ID:4225
  • Company:Alpha
Well.. I have an Xbox and a 360, but if a PS3 was cheaper i would buy it for Final Fantasy games.. apparently lair was an epic fail, but isn't Assassins Creed for PS3?

Defiantly don't want a Wii.. I hate the motion.. The games look just a bit petter then playstation 2 games, and i don't like Mario icon_sad.gif

IMO, Microsoft comes out on top.. Their games look nice, as well as some nice exclusives.

79577008.png

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*
  • Guests
assassins creed is on 360 and ps3 so most people dont really count it for either console as right now they seem identical.

and personally, i havnt liked any of the recent FF games. FFX sucked. FFX-2 sucked. FF11 sucked. FF12 sucked. 13 will suck.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (UDP @ Sep 13 2007, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe because the 360 is ahead literally by a year... check the wii next year and see what you think.

the 360 had more games out in it's first year than wii did... If you line up the launches 360 still wins... except with it the way it wins now, it wins by a lot more. game wise anyway... gameplay wise is debatable both ways...
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

haistol

haistol
  • GA Private
  • 5 posts
QUOTE (Silint Ninjya @ Sep 13 2007, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and personally, i havnt liked any of the recent FF games. FFX sucked. FFX-2 sucked. FF11 sucked. FF12 sucked. 13 will suck.

i agree with you. in ps2 all FF sucks specially FFX-2, this was more charlys angels Game than a game of FF series

MeTroiD

MeTroiD
  • Retired Staff
  • 3,457 posts
  • Interests:Starcraft, Metroid games, Nintendo, Guitar, Hockey (Maple Leafs fan), Basketball (Toronto Raptors), music includes metallica, dragonforce, trivium, megadeth, pantera and MeTroiD Metal. favourite game of all time is super metroid, love LOTR movies, simply enjoy a nice time chilling with my friends going out to eat or drink (i don't drink but keep them company of course) or just chilling at someones place, watching stuff, talking or playing Wii sports which is the next best new thing to do :) oh and megaman because MegamanXLanDarkZero said so :)
  • Xbox / GFWL:The Man Toss
  • Wii:2302372127657498
QUOTE (haistol @ Sep 13 2007, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i agree with you. in ps2 all FF sucks specially FFX-2, this was more charlys angels Game than a game of FF series

oh yea, i agree

i remember when i first got a PS2, i was always dissapointed that i never had a ps1 cuz i couldn't play ff7, or ff8, at least the proper versions since the PC versions looked and sound worse for some reason, and i never played FF9, so i get a PS2, FFX-2 and FFX and was so dissapointed, i thought i was about to enter the great world of final fantasy and they throw those two things at me, i'm sure you can all guess what i thought of FF12 as well

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)