Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Console Wars

* * * - - 14 votes

• Please log in to reply
4636 replies to this topic

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (eedok @ Sep 23 2007, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
even if you discount PC the lists aren't all that impressive, and PC should be included as these days you can build half decent PC for the price of the new consoles.

PC always get all the mods and configuration options not available to consoles(you can use the 360 controller on the PC)

I don't care about the controller. I care about my system playing top end games for the next 4 years without issues, and me not having to waste time with space/hardware/installation issues.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Rljohn

Rljohn
  • Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • xfire:rljohn
  • Xbox / GFWL:rljohn
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:4945597007048201
I have $23,000 dollars in my bank account right now. Not flexing my peen, just stating a fact.

Don't assume that people aren't buying the PS3 because they can't afford it. Some people are just smart enough to notice a bad gaming console when they see one.

And before I hear your rebuttal:
Blu-Ray is for chumps who buy movies, l2 Bittorrent.
MGS4 and FF13 are both likely ports and do not justify 700$.
The Wii and 360 both have MORE and BETTER 1st, 2nd and 3rd party exclusives. Wii60 ftw.

Anth0ny

Anth0ny
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,617 posts
  • xfire:Too lazy to open X-fire every time...
  • Interests:Wii!
  • Xbox / GFWL:fps anth
  • PSN:finally got a 360!
  • Wii:8250730335940364
  • Gamer Army ID:1158
360 and Wii have the best holiday this year.

Wii- Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros Brawl. 'nuff said. Also, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is going to generate some great sales, in both North America and Japan.

360- Halo 3, COD 4, Assasin's Creed, Mass Effect, possibly Street Fighter HD and alot more that I forget atm. 360 is pwning it up this holiday.

Sorry PS3 owners, you really aren't getting much this holiday at all. Sure, you get Assasin's Creed as well. Big deal.

And I'd way rather have a Haruhi figure then a PS3 icon_razz.gif

I beat Jarett in Tetris. Once. Then he beat me four times straight. But still, I beat him once!

Informal

Informal
  • Banned
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:You.
  • PSN:RESERVED, HOMIE.
Just give me a Dreamcast.

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
QUOTE (Bboboo @ Sep 24 2007, 05:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway, has anyone noticed that the quality of games are improving? Like I know there are still going to be shitty games, like there are shitty movies but, take E3 for example. Most of the games shown looked pretty good and interesting.

actually i find the quality of games are declining but thats just me being an elitest fuck.

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,323 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
QUOTE (Bboboo @ Sep 23 2007, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm getting my PS3 next week can't wait.

Anyway, has anyone noticed that the quality of games are improving? Like I know there are still going to be shitty games, like there are shitty movies but, take E3 for example. Most of the games shown looked pretty good and interesting.

E3 sucked pretty bad tbh... I think there are some really good games coming out though.
QUOTE (Myth @ Sep 24 2007, 05:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
actually i find the quality of games are declining but thats just me being an elitest fuck.

I don't agree and I'll explain why, I think games are still quite good but our expectations of how good games should be is too high. The industry can only grow so fast but our wants have no limit. I know what you mean though I do agree there aren't as many great games as I would like, but the games that are good imo are of a high quality (one of these imo would be Brawl, if all games were this quality then I'd explode with joy).

Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*
  • Guests
i agree with UDPs entire previous post. and would like to add that i think people that enjoy a game too much from the past, refuse to let go of it and its ideas. this is a problem in every genre with a group of people and a certain game. for FPS its quake and CS...sometimes, things that are different are NOT awful. and it really sucks how some people will hate on a game for being different than quake or CS even though the new game might be helping the genre move forward.

for example, some people here will hate on halo and say it was awful and did nothing right, and praise bioshock....well guess what? bioshocks control set up is based on halo.

there is a difference between simply not liking a game, and claiming it was a failure, awful, bad everything, and is for fags. i dont like starcraft...its not my type of game. i just dont find it fun...but yes, it did help the RTS genre tons, it did move games forward, it did standardize a lot of things in the genre and it helped move gaming as a whole to be more mainstream.

am i asking everyone to like and love halo? no. but dont claim that it did nothing right and was a terrible game that only frat boys play. respect it for what it did for the genre, even if you dont like it.

also: id like to explain why i dont like half life 2(or 1)....simply put, it makes me motion sick. half life 1, and half life 2 are the ONLY games that do it. other games from the same engine dont do it...but those 2 specifically do. and im not the only one actually. it turns out that it is quite a problem for a small percentage of people. the first time i ever played half life, i nearly threw up after less than 2 hours and i felt terrible for the rest of the day. that is why i hate half life. i wont deny that half life 1 really brought out plot driven FPS games into our world...but half life 2 i still see as only a gimmick and a tech show for their engine. if you didnt HAVE to use physics to solve puzzles, you never would have touched anything. they forced you to do it.

Richard.

Richard.
  • Banned
  • 548 posts
QUOTE (Master C @ Sep 23 2007, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brawl= Part of a epic gaming series, easily in my top 3-5.

PS3= Piece of overpriced shit.

GG?

Edit. Fuck Im not giving Smash bros the credit it deserves. It tops all gaming series.

I am pretty tired of people saying the PS3 is so fucking overpriced. I gotta say the price is almost too low.
In Sweden we didn't get a price drop instead we got 2 games and an extra controller with the game for the same old price, that's 922 USD (Everything costs alot more in Sweden compared to alot of other countries).
It plays blu-ray and it plays DVD best of the new consoles. The cheapest Blu-ray player costs 740 USD in Sweden. And ofc you can also play games,It has has wifi, you can surf the net and you can install linux.
But you might not want a good dvd and blu-ray player and then it's overpriced!! Wrong! If you are not ready to spend that money then it's not the console for you. If I see something I want but it has a ton of extra stuff I don't want to pay for I don't call it overpriced. I just walk away or If I am lucky I can buy it for less If I choose a version without all those extra stuff.
Most people that are interested in the PS3 doesn't care if it plays blu-ray I know that so no1 needs to say it (they should since all games are on that format icon_razz.gif). And they also think that blu-ray is the thing that's making it so expensive. Gotta say the blu-ray drive for the ps3 doesn't cost much more then the 360's DVD drive. I think the PS3 blu-ray drive used to cost 125$ and the 360's DVD drive cost around 20$. A couple of months ago the ps3 blu-ray drive would get alot cheaper up to 100$ cheaper.

Can the 360 with HD DVD drive decode the new HD audio codecs? Before som1 laugh: HD sound lol? I heard from people that can enjoy both HD video and audio with blu-ray and hd-dvd that the improvement in sound and video is equal. I can't enjoy blu-ray and hd sound yet but will in a few weeks so then I'll be able to confirm it's equal or confirm the improvement isn't equal.

QUOTE (eedok @ Sep 23 2007, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unreal Tournament 3 - I'm noticing a trend here..

I think the PS3 version can be good. It'll support mouse and keyboard and the developers said they might make it possible for ps3 and pc owners to play with/against eachother.

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
QUOTE (Richard. @ Sep 25 2007, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am pretty tired of people saying the PS3 is so fucking overpriced. I gotta say the price is almost too low.
In Sweden we didn't get a price drop instead we got 2 games and an extra controller with the game for the same old price, that's 922 USD (Everything costs alot more in Sweden compared to alot of other countries).
It plays blu-ray and it plays DVD best of the new consoles. The cheapest Blu-ray player costs 740 USD in Sweden. And ofc you can also play games,It has has wifi, you can surf the net and you can install linux.
But you might not want a good dvd and blu-ray player and then it's overpriced!! Wrong! If you are not ready to spend that money then it's not the console for you. If I see something I want but it has a ton of extra stuff I don't want to pay for I don't call it overpriced. I just walk away or If I am lucky I can buy it for less If I choose a version without all those extra stuff.
Most people that are interested in the PS3 doesn't care if it plays blu-ray I know that so no1 needs to say it (they should since all games are on that format icon_razz.gif). And they also think that blu-ray is the thing that's making it so expensive. Gotta say the blu-ray drive for the ps3 doesn't cost much more then the 360's DVD drive. I think the PS3 blu-ray drive used to cost 125$ and the 360's DVD drive cost around 20$. A couple of months ago the ps3 blu-ray drive would get alot cheaper up to 100$ cheaper.
Can the 360 with HD DVD drive decode the new HD audio codecs? Before som1 laugh: HD sound lol? I heard from people that can enjoy both HD video and audio with blu-ray and hd-dvd that the improvement in sound and video is equal. I can't enjoy blu-ray and hd sound yet but will in a few weeks so then I'll be able to confirm it's equal or confirm the improvement isn't equal.
I think the PS3 version can be good. It'll support mouse and keyboard and the developers said they might make it possible for ps3 and pc owners to play with/against eachother.

Guess what Blu-ray: I dont give a shit.

Dont try to justify the league of morons who bought a PS3. If Blu-ray is your last remaining argument to justify the rediculous amount of money you wasted on that shitty console, then you guys are fucked.

I bought my Xbox to play online with my friends and to get hold of a few nice PC ports (oblivion being one). I bought my Wii to play quality games, particularly Nintendo ones. Now tell me why I should buy a PS3? FAIL.

Richard.

Richard.
  • Banned
  • 548 posts
QUOTE (Master C @ Sep 25 2007, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guess what Blu-ray: I dont give a shit.

Dont try to justify the league of morons who bought a PS3. If Blu-ray is your last remaining argument to justify the rediculous amount of money you wasted on that shitty console, then you guys are fucked.

I bought my Xbox to play online with my friends and to get hold of a few nice PC ports (oblivion being one). I bought my Wii to play quality games, particularly Nintendo ones. Now tell me why I should buy a PS3? FAIL.

I haven't bought the console yet but blu-ray is one of the big reasons for me to buy it. The only console game I am really looking forward to is LBP. Sure there are games I'll probably buy like warhawk and ut maybe. But LBP and blu-ray are the biggest reasons for me buying ps3. Other games, wifi and because you can play dled series movies even it's not as simple as it sound is also a reason but I could do the same on the 360 I think so it's not a big reason.

I also said in my post I knew most console gamers don't give a shit about blu-ray. I've said why I am buying the PS3 but I won't tell you why I think you should buy it since it's pretty clear it's not the right console for you. But it's definatly the right console for me, no other console full fills my requirements. Wanna tell me of another option then the PS3? My requirements are: Blu-Ray, LBP, decent dvd player, play Dled movies/tv shows in H264.

http://www.eisa-awards.eu/2007/node/738

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
QUOTE (Richard. @ Sep 25 2007, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't bought the console yet but blu-ray is one of the big reasons for me to buy it. The only console game I am really looking forward to is LBP. Sure there are games I'll probably buy like warhawk and ut maybe. But LBP and blu-ray are the biggest reasons for me buying ps3. Other games, wifi and because you can play dled series movies even it's not as simple as it sound is also a reason but I could do the same on the 360 I think so it's not a big reason.

Ok, well I respect that but the PS3 games just dont pull me in enough to justify and price difference.

Richard.

Richard.
  • Banned
  • 548 posts
QUOTE (Master C @ Sep 25 2007, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, well I respect that but the PS3 games just dont pull me in enough to justify and price difference.

Yes I understand that and the same goes for most gamers out there.

Aeskel

Aeskel
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • xfire:andrjo
Umm.. Just wanted to add; Did anyone notice any difference between blu - ray and HD? I know blu - ray is better, but i haven't noticed much difference between them. Even though I had both consoles for some period of time.

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
QUOTE (Master C @ Sep 25 2007, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Richard. @ Sep 25 2007, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I understand that and the same goes for most gamers out there.

wow. two people with different opinion settling things rationally while debating about consoles? thats a first.

apprently blu-rays have waaaaaaay better visual quality. and i know for a fact they hold more memory. but its like sony's betamax... remember those? no? well thats my point.

Richard.

Richard.
  • Banned
  • 548 posts
QUOTE (Aeskel @ Sep 25 2007, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Umm.. Just wanted to add; Did anyone notice any difference between blu - ray and HD? I know blu - ray is better, but i haven't noticed much difference between them. Even though I had both consoles for some period of time.

Gotta say I am confused by your post you had both blu-ray and HD console? Talking about PS3 and 360 with hd-dvd?

Blu-ray is not really better then HD-DVD. The only thing that's better for blu-ray is 25gb/layer hd-dvd has 15gb/layer and max bitrate is 36.55mbit/s for HD-DVD and 53.95mbit/s for blu-ray. ATM I think the HD-DVD players are alittle better and have some futures the blu-ray doesn't have. Think HD-DVD got internet connection so you can update you player and it has some other shit. Nothing that the Blu-ray players can't get. Video quality is the same.
More important in the format war is studio and company support.
http://users.skynet.be/fa414947/Personal%2...tats-v1.2.2.jpg seems to be alittle old since Paramount is HD-DVD exclusive now.

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
  • xfire:eedok
  • Interests:qqq
  • Steam ID:eedok
  • Xbox / GFWL:eedok
  • Wii:3394-3242-5681
  • Gamer Army ID:1176
QUOTE (Richard. @ Sep 25 2007, 06:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If this is true, and the online is good, this can push the PS3 over the 360 for quality of controls alone. Hope all the other shooters on the console take notice.

Richard.

Richard.
  • Banned
  • 548 posts
QUOTE (eedok @ Sep 25 2007, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If this is true, and the online is good, this can push the PS3 over the 360 for quality of controls alone. Hope all the other shooters on the console take notice.

As revealed at Sony's press conference at the E3 Media & Business Summit, Unreal Tournament 3 is coming out this year for the PC and PS3 only. It will allow cross-platform play between the two platforms, which will be greatly enhanced by the inclusion of keyboard/mouse support. Said support will also offer gamers the alternative of buying a $599 console or upgrading their PC without having to sacrifice traditional shooter controls.

Rein also confirmed that nothing is confirmed about keyboard/mouse support for the Xbox 360 version of Unreal Tournament 3, which is due out next year. "Nothing new to report about 360, sorry," he wrote. "As soon as we have a better idea on 360 release timeframe and features we'll announce it but don't expect any news on it before the end of this year."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_ent...pic_id=25829504

Hum looks like cross-platform online is confirmed then. Saw an interview with one of the guys working on UT3 a couple of months ago and he said they would add cross-platform online if the consumers wanted it and I don't see any reason for any1 not wanting it?
Definatly want to see more keyboard/mouse and cross-platform online in the future.

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (Aeskel @ Sep 25 2007, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

blu-ray and hd-dvd have identical image quality. they both have the same resolutions(the biggest factor) and they both make the colors more vibrant. blu-ray has slightly better sound quality, but it is only noticable when you have the speakers that are ridiculously expensive (like more than your ps3)

as for the ps3s price, ya, it is stupidly over priced. 600 dollars, and for what....1 good game that lasts you a mere 5 hours and uses a single button? i have like 1000 dollars in the bank....i could buy a ps3, but i have ZERO desire to.

and no, it doesnt play dvds better than the xbox. they are just freakin dvds and they both play them perfectly. hell, ps3 cant play dvds better than a ps2 or xbox 1.

Richard.

Richard.
  • Banned
  • 548 posts
QUOTE (Silint Ninjya @ Sep 25 2007, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and no, it doesnt play dvds better than the xbox. they are just freakin dvds and they both play them perfectly. hell, ps3 cant play dvds better than a ps2 or xbox 1.

Have you never compared 2 dvd players? The difference can be huge.

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*
  • Guests
and it can be the result of the DVD quality itself, the TV quality, the settings on the TV and the settings on the player (things like brightness can wash out color very easily). and when the player is able to play blu-ray or hd-dvd, then i think it doesnt really matter at all in the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users