Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Console Wars

* * * - - 14 votes

• Please log in to reply
4636 replies to this topic

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
  • PSN:The_Con-Sept
QUOTE (Master C @ Dec 14 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Psp games always seems to be mini PS games, whereas the DS tends to stand out with its own unique titles.

No the PSP brought out some very unique titles. Its a damn shame that no one actually picks up on them. What I am tired of seeing is on every gameboy every single mario game comes out for it. I am happy about Contra IV because at least it was a completely new title but come on! And every Pokemon game besides Red Blue and Green suck! (At least I hate the new pokemon games. Every single one of them. I still have my old Blue Version.)

QUOTE (ElShmiablo @ Dec 14 2009, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nobody mentioned God of War: Chains of Olympus, Motorstorm: Arctic Edge, or freakin' MONSTER HUNTER!?

There are a lot of PSP games that are unique that haven't been listed in here yet. Like Pursuit Force 1 and 2 aren't even listed. MGS:PO and MGAC!D.

Some of the new games they are coming out with are actually looking pretty good...

(Edit: Why is the PP PSN ID thing locked? I can't add in the new names.... Oh well...)

Edited by The_Con-Sept, 14 December 2009 - 10:05 PM.

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Dec 15 2009, 02:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And every Pokemon game besides Red Blue and Green suck! (At least I hate the new pokemon games. Every single one of them. I still have my old Blue Version.)

Actually played all of them? Or just doing that "I hate this game yet haven't played it" thing?

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Dec 15 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No the PSP brought out some very unique titles. Its a damn shame that no one actually picks up on them. What I am tired of seeing is on every gameboy every single mario game comes out for it. I am happy about Contra IV because at least it was a completely new title but come on! And every Pokemon game besides Red Blue and Green suck! (At least I hate the new pokemon games. Every single one of them. I still have my old Blue Version.)

ill list off all the mario games that i know on the ds handheld:

the 'meh' list-

Super mario 64 DS (rehashed)
Mario Party DS (mini game/boardgame)

the good list-

Mario and Luigi- partners in time (RPG)
Mario and luigi- bowser bowser's inside story (RPG)
Mario kart DS (racing)
New super mario bros (2D Platformer)
Mario VS Donkey Kong 2 (Puzzle)
Mario VS Donkey Kong: Minis march again (puzzle)
Dr. Mario on DSiware (Puzzle)

out of 9, only 2 are pretty average in terms of fun. SM64 is only on the meh list just because its basically a total rehash of the original on N64 even if it did have 3 other playerable characters. i know the rest on that list recieved very positive reviews by critics (all around 8-9/10 or equivelant by most critics) apart from Dr. mario and Minis march again (havnt seen the reviews for those yet)

also- try the new pokemon. i, much like you grew up with blue and it was kinda daunting picking up the series again with platinum after not playing the franchise since silver. but in all honesty, the game play has improved. theres more stuff to do, more things to see...

and contra is a completely new title? theres a reason why theres a IV after the 'contra'... contra has been on nintendo system since NES...

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (Xayun @ Dec 14 2009, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually played all of them? Or just doing that "I hate this game yet haven't played it" thing?

Pokemon Yellow: Gay. I didn't like the cartoon and I never liked pikachu. And you could not start out with the other pokemon. You had to start with Pikachu. Sucked. No if ands or buts. I hated that fact.

Gold and Silver. Same shit just barely even a few new pokemon. But they were all ultra rare Pokemon... So you could not catch all of them like the tricks in the older pokemon games. Crystal... Just a rehash with 1 new Pokemon.

Saphire, Ruby, Emerald. I did not like how the new Pokemon looked. It went from realistic to Punk and girly pokemon. Didn't like how they looked.

Fire Red and Leaf Green I never played.... They didn't have a Water Blue version. It was mostly the same but... Ill get to the main reason why I don't like this one here in a second...

Diamond and Pearl.... I bought Pokemon Diamond for one reason. I wanted to see some of the new Pokemon they had. After seeing that they got rid of the dumb looking Pokemon and actually had some cool pokemon I went with it. Beat the game and caught a lot of Pokemon. I do realise that they had a mix of every single pokemon from every single version. But it was fun to capture the time Pokemon. I never got Pearl or the new one... Platinum right?

But the main reason why I do not like Pokemon anymore.... Watch this flash: http://www.newground...tal/view/501657 (At the very end... And if you don't know how to get that Pokemon.... then you are not a real Pokemon fan...)

No more Pokemon.

You could say that Digimon was weird but at least Digimon stuck to its roots up until the 4th season... It got ridiculous on the 4th. I don't even know if they have a 5th season yet or not. I have every Digimon game. DMW1, 2, 3, 4, Rumble Arena 1, 2, Digimon Racers, and I even have every single Digi pet. But they are all on my computer. I hate Digimon Data Squad though. Its gay. If you like Digimon stay the fuck away from Data Squad! It sucks!

QUOTE (Myth @ Dec 14 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
also- try the new pokemon. i, much like you grew up with blue and it was kinda daunting picking up the series again with platinum after not playing the franchise since silver. but in all honesty, the game play has improved. theres more stuff to do, more things to see...

and contra is a completely new title? theres a reason why theres a IV after the 'contra'... contra has been on nintendo system since NES...

Hey I love Contra first of all! Most kiddies can't even play Contra past the first level!

Anyway like I said I have tried the new Pokemon. But they added some dumb girly stuff to it that I didn't like. The whole Pokemon dress up shit... COME ON! And giving them a glamor item? Fuck Pokemon.

At least the puzzles were fun.

Edited by The_Con-Sept, 15 December 2009 - 04:44 PM.

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Dec 16 2009, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway like I said I have tried the new Pokemon. But they added some dumb girly stuff to it that I didn't like. The whole Pokemon dress up shit... COME ON! And giving them a glamor item? Fuck Pokemon.

At least the puzzles were fun.

you dont have to do any of that shit. ever. its optional if you want to. hell, i dont even bother about poffins or berries. but giving them battle specific items is a must. thats actually one of the many things which was hugely improved from 1st gen.

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
SM64 is only on the meh list just because its basically a total rehash of the original on N64 even if it did have 3 other playerable characters.

There were something like 40 new stars (30 additional and 10 replaced), and several new bonus levels. It actually felt pretty fresh for what is was.
IPB Image

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (Myth @ Dec 15 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you dont have to do any of that shit. ever. its optional if you want to. hell, i dont even bother about poffins or berries. but giving them battle specific items is a must. thats actually one of the many things which was hugely improved from 1st gen.

From what I remember in Pokemon Diamond YOU WERE FORCED TO DRESS UP THE POKEMON! Yes you were forced to do the stupid ass dress up shit in order to do battle with one of the gym leaders!

As for the battle items. FUCK NO! As much as it seemed cool it was a fucking hassle! When you wanted to switch your main pokemon you had to take the items away from him and give it to the other one. Shit they might as well add a shirt, pants, hat, glasses, shoes, gloves and all that other shit. I am serious! I liked how you would just get a Pokemon and all you had to do was battle. With enough experience they would evolve. And you could choose not to evolve them! I LIKED THAT! I never used a battle item because I would sell them all. "HP" what ever's were more important than battle items. Sorry but it pissed me off.

But like I said I liked the new Pokemon and I enjoyed the puzzles. Everything else they could have left out. And yes all of my Pokemon are at Level 99... But I never got the other like.... 20 or so Pokemon that were only available on the other versions.... I sold my DS last year with Pokemon Diamond, Contra 4, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, and.... uh.... I can't remember the last one... I know I had 4 games.... Oh well but Pokemon only held my interest for a little bit of time... Then I went back to Digimon World 2 to try and get to the first actual boss within 40 minutes...

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Dec 16 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I remember in Pokemon Diamond YOU WERE FORCED TO DRESS UP THE POKEMON! Yes you were forced to do the stupid ass dress up shit in order to do battle with one of the gym leaders!

ive never played diamond so i cant judge but it sounds to me it was a one off thing.

QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Dec 16 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for the battle items. FUCK NO! As much as it seemed cool it was a fucking hassle! When you wanted to switch your main pokemon you had to take the items away from him and give it to the other one. Shit they might as well add a shirt, pants, hat, glasses, shoes, gloves and all that other shit. I am serious! I liked how you would just get a Pokemon and all you had to do was battle. With enough experience they would evolve. And you could choose not to evolve them! I LIKED THAT! I never used a battle item because I would sell them all. "HP" what ever's were more important than battle items. Sorry but it pissed me off.

... you'd be retarded if you dont use held items for your pokemon. i dont think you understand how battle items work. for example, i make my kadabra hold Odd Incense, which when held, boosts the power of psychic type moves. i make my roselia (grass type) hold Big Root, which increases the amount of HP healed from hp leaching moves (eg, mega drain) there is no logical reason why you wouldnt make them hold these items. the developers put items there for a reason- to make the battles slightly more indepth. ive no idea why you'd find this frustrating. you never have to 'switch' items from one pokemon to another since theres so many variety. you just need to find the ones which best suits your style of play.

also, you can still choose not to evolve your pokemon by pressing b when they're evolving. i dont know where you're coming from. or you *could* just make the pokemon hold everstone, but w/e. ... but why you wouldnt want your pokemon to evolve???

from what i gather, you havn't played much of the new generation. kinda reminds me of what you kept arguing few months ago about how shit harvest moon was without actually playing the game.

Edited by Myth, 16 December 2009 - 01:32 AM.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (Myth @ Dec 15 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
also, you can still choose not to evolve your pokemon by pressing b when they're evolving. i dont know where you're coming from. or you *could* just make the pokemon hold everstone, but w/e. ... but why you wouldnt want your pokemon to evolve???

from what i gather, you havn't played much of the new generation. kinda reminds me of what you kept arguing few months ago about how shit harvest moon was without actually playing the game.

No I thought it was Harvest Moon but it turned out to be another game.. I just don't remember the name. It pissed me off though.

Back to Pokemon...

I guess that you have never seen a Level 255 Squirtle have you? Or how about the one hit kill ditto "!" move? And I bet you have never seen a Lvl 40 Bellsprout defeat all 5 final bosses have you? And then there is the old Mew trick. I didn't know about it until one of my friends had shown me it. It is very complicated and takes a quick hand to do. And finally the Level 100 metapod that you can't kill due to Harden X20 and Tackle!

(I pissed off my buddy T with the Metapod one hahahaha! He had 6 Mewtwo's and they all didn't know any HP regen moves. So he lost.)

There are so many other glitches like Kengaskan's mother. (You know the one you had to fight using the silph scope? You can actually catch it in a glitch. My friend never told me how to do it.)

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Dec 16 2009, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back to Pokemon...

I guess that you have never seen a Level 255 Squirtle have you? Or how about the one hit kill ditto "!" move? And I bet you have never seen a Lvl 40 Bellsprout defeat all 5 final bosses have you? And then there is the old Mew trick. I didn't know about it until one of my friends had shown me it. It is very complicated and takes a quick hand to do. And finally the Level 100 metapod that you can't kill due to Harden X20 and Tackle!

(I pissed off my buddy T with the Metapod one hahahaha! He had 6 Mewtwo's and they all didn't know any HP regen moves. So he lost.)

There are so many other glitches like Kengaskan's mother. (You know the one you had to fight using the silph scope? You can actually catch it in a glitch. My friend never told me how to do it.)

why the fuck are you talking about glitches?

EDIT: and im pretty sure you're talking about cubone's mother in lavender town? its not kengaskan, its marowak.

Edited by Myth, 16 December 2009 - 09:50 AM.

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
  • Company:Gamma
Because he's fucking mental, that's why

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (Myth @ Dec 16 2009, 01:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why the fuck are you talking about glitches?

EDIT: and im pretty sure you're talking about cubone's mother in lavender town? its not kengaskan, its marowak.

Yeah what ever it was... You could actually catch it.

QUOTE (Xayun @ Dec 16 2009, 06:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because he's fucking mental, that's why

No I just loved the fuck out of Pokemon Blue so much that me and my friends liked doing the glitches.

How ever some of those glitches I wouldn't even consider glitches. The 255 Squirtle is if you don't evolve him ever. The Ditto ! Move also is not a glitch. You can catch one with no attacks. The MetaPod and Bellsprout one anyone can do.

Because the new Pokemon games don't have very many secrets like Blue and Red did is another reason why I don't like Pokemon anymore.

Anyway this should be in its own topic.

Back to the console wars.

I am willing to bet that the next generation of consoles are going to be released in 2014. It is still the bet I made a while back.

Silver_Kyle

Silver_Kyle
  • Members
  • 293 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:silverkyle
Weren't they saying it would be 2012?

I'd feel that 2014 would just be a little too long for my taste. Although if that were the case I might be able to catch up with the PS3 games that I've wanted to try out because the PS3 would probably be < $200 by then icon_smile.gif

Edited by Silver_Kyle, 17 December 2009 - 05:58 PM.

- Currently playing: StarCraft II (PC), Mario Kart 7 (3DS), Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
- Can't wait for: Twisted Metal (PS3), Halo 4 (360), Grand Theft Auto V (360), Diablo III (PC) and the PS Vita

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (Silver_Kyle @ Dec 17 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Weren't they saying it would be 2012?

I'd feel that 2014 would just be a little too long for my taste. Although if that were the case I might be able to catch up with the PS3 games that I've wanted to try out because the PS3 would probably be < $200 by then icon_smile.gif

No. I believe this generation of consoles is going to stick around for a lot longer. The reason why I say this is because 2014 actually seems feasible. 2012 doesn't seem like it would be a good year. that is only 2 years away and I am afraid that even if Nintendo launched another console at 200 dollars even the PS3 would still out sell it.

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Dec 18 2009, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. I believe this generation of consoles is going to stick around for a lot longer. The reason why I say this is because 2014 actually seems feasible. 2012 doesn't seem like it would be a good year. that is only 2 years away and I am afraid that even if Nintendo launched another console at 200 dollars even the PS3 would still out sell it.

nintendo will announce something soon because wii sales numbers are actually dropping for the first time in a while. they've actually decreased production of the wii. its time to move on to something new.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (Myth @ Dec 17 2009, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nintendo will announce something soon because wii sales numbers are actually dropping for the first time in a while. they've actually decreased production of the wii. its time to move on to something new.

I'm guessing they'll start announcing the new consoles soon. people are going to start getting hungry for new technology, and if there's a 1-2 year run up from announcement to launch, it should be soon.

By 2012 consoles will start looking a lot worse than new PC titles.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

The Colonel

The Colonel

The Ghost of Christmas Past

• Retired Staff
  • 7,150 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
Yeah seriously. Rumblings about tech usually come out a year or two before the product, and the announcement comes a year to 6 months before release. You vastly overestimate the time from announcement to release icon_razz.gif
And like that, he was gone.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
Naw... I still think this generation is going to stick around for a little while longer.

Besides people would rather be able to play the game at the cheapest price. Right now it is either Wii, PS3, and 360. Even though the Wii may not have most of the games that PS3 and 360 have (multi plats) it still has some of them. So it is included.

Releasing a new console in 2012 I think is suicide right now. 2 years doesn't seem like a long time but look at how long it is taking the US economy to get back up on its feet...

But.... this is interesting..... And I think I may finally have a reason to regret selling my PS3......

http://kotaku.com/54...t=Google Reader

If this is true and these exact features are on the service plans at the price listed.... This would put XBOX Live's service to fucking shame.

I am serious... this really would make people kick themselves in the ass for not having a PS3 and paying for the premium on Sony's side rather than Microsoft's.

(Notice how I used the word "IF!")

The Colonel

The Colonel

The Ghost of Christmas Past

• Retired Staff
  • 7,150 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Dec 18 2009, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Naw... I still think this generation is going to stick around for a little while longer.

Besides people would rather be able to play the game at the cheapest price. Right now it is either Wii, PS3, and 360. Even though the Wii may not have most of the games that PS3 and 360 have (multi plats) it still has some of them. So it is included.

Releasing a new console in 2012 I think is suicide right now. 2 years doesn't seem like a long time but look at how long it is taking the US economy to get back up on its feet...
Suicide? I wouldn't say so. The 2005 headstart actually worked well for MS. And they still stay competitive with Sony despite not having a price drop in this holiday season, and selling very very low in a major market (Japan). It actually really wouldn't be that stupid. A new console capitalizing on people coming back into spending, being vastly more powerful than previous competitors probably (look how old these consoles will be in 2012, 5-7 years). Realistically, I think the next launch will be 2013. And this time, they are going to be heavily vying on first to market. Because these consoles lasted longer than the traditional lifetime, the first to market will get a huge "wow, this tech is better than X's and Y's current offerings" factor.

http://kotaku.com/54...t=Google Reader

If this is true and these exact features are on the service plans at the price listed.... This would put XBOX Live's service to fucking shame.

I am serious... this really would make people kick themselves in the ass for not having a PS3 and paying for the premium on Sony's side rather than Microsoft's.

(Notice how I used the word "IF!")
I really doubt people would. Let's look at average joe console gamer. They don't download the demos, they don't use netflix, they typically just use Live to game. While we may not think Halo is that great, Halo is a console selling franchise. People wouldn't be disappointed if they don't have those features as much as not being able to play Halo, or for younger users playing with friends. Almost everyone I know in college or lower have a 360, not a PS3. I am one of a small group at my college that has a PS3. Meanwhile, there is a 360 in 4 out of 5 rooms in my suite. People are less concerned with what features, and instead prefer to look at games (While I love Uncharted, people like Halo more) and social (PS3s are less common than 360s, let's be honest here).

And like that, he was gone.

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
i cant believe im saying this but im actually looking forward to a lot of wii games next year (as opposed to say, only 1/2 first party games from nintendo)

the new Zelda
Metroid: other M
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Epic Mickey
Sin and Punishment 2
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
No more heros 2
Red steel 2
The Grinder
that gladiator game by high-voltage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users