This is my first post in this forum and I can clearly see a tough crowd ahead of me. Of course I am going to be quoted probably several times for everything that I post in this one reply about the console war. Some people may be biased towards one console over the other (And lets face it: PC will always come out on top of consoles unless development companies like NCSoft, Crytek and Epic keep making Console games, while other development companies follow.) while others will either agree, or completely ignore my reply all together because they are either too lazy to read it or not able to understand the concept.
Now that I've pointed that out I will just give you my opinion on which I think is better for the consumer in one short answer.
The PlayStation 3. (Imagine if I just ended the argument right here. -Seriously some people in this particular thread just disgust me while others I think may have a learning disability. And the majority of people in here act like they are 12 and consider themselves a leader.- Now I am going to try my best to get people to stop fighting over this because its just plain stupid. The people posting up numbers, reviews, gaming scores, and other various things are approaching this crowd the wrong way. Telling people what to buy without giving good reasons is flat out fanboy-ism. Thus why I am going to set this thread straight by giving good reasons rather than just saying what I just did.)
Did you take a good breather after reading that sentence before you decided to just make a reply based on that?
Good. Lets continue to the LONG explanation of why I think the PlayStation 3 is better for the consumer out of the Wii and the XBOX 360.
I am going to compare each console "Out of the box" style. (If there is anything that I missed just say so and don't be a ***** *** fanboy. I will correct it as it needs to be.)
For each system you get:
1 controller (or two depending on which package you buy.)
the power cable (and for the 360: a power brick)
and the audio/video cable (Or for the 360 -again depending on which package you buy- an HDMI 1.2 cable and a "plug in" microphone. Also notice how I didn't say that the PS3 had one included? In fact in one package the Audio/Video Cable isn't even included. Why? Most people have a PS2. It uses the same Audio/Video cable input for the console. It is another bad move by sony but think about it... How popular is the PS2?)
Now this is where the comparison really begins.
For the Wii you have support for:
- Wii games
- GameCube games
- Full online play (WiFi only) (WiFi is okay... but I doubt everyone has a wireless router in their home.)
- Virtual Console access
- Web Browser (Just to make things clear... Web browsing on a console is not as good as browsing on a computer for several reasons that I don't feel like posting up.)
All of that for $250.00 (I like the Wii by the way. Its just that online for it is not as good as... well... PS2.)
For the XBOX 360 you have support for:
- 360 games
- XBO games (XBO stands for XBOX Original games-A.K.A. XBOX 1-, however depending on the package you buy it may or may not be supported.)
- XBL Silver Account Again, depending on which package you buy, you may or may not get a 1 month free Gold Account.)
- XBLA (The funny thing is that I missed this the first time around and someone had to be a ***** *** fanboy about it instead of just saying what I missed and moving on.)
- DVD Movies
- CD Music
- XBOX / 360 accessories
- Media Server connectivity with at least a Windows XP Operated Computer. (Why does it have to be with XP only? They need to make it more open.)
All of that for $300-$400 (The 360 is more "Pay for this service" based. That really doesn't attract many customers.)
For the PlayStation 3 you have support for:
- PS3 games
- PS2 games -for the 20, 60, and 80 gig models.- (Bad decision Sony! All PS3 models should support PS2 games!)
- PS1 games (All models support PS1 games because of the PS Store having PS1 titles in it for sale.)
- Blue-Tooth Devices
- Full online play (Ethernet and WiFi -WiFi is in the 40, 60, and 80 gig models-)
- BD & DVD Movies
- CD Music
- Data CD/DVD/BD (Data CD/DVD/BD means the PS3 is able to read disc's with data in them. Like .mp3 -Music- or .mpg -Movie- files.)
- Any SATA 2.5" HDD
- PS1, PS2, PS3, and "Plug n' Play" Accessories (Anything you buy in the store for a computer that supports Plug n' Play functionality works on the PS3.)
- Digital Audio (THX and DD)
- Media Server Connectivity with any computer with the right software and specs. (I'm sure a few people will make a comment on this. But basically any computer with at least a Pentium 3 chip will do.)
- Full DivX support (A lot of people will try to say the 360 has the better DivX support, however it doesn't. You can't save a DivX movie to your 360's hard drive. It has to be media streamed.)
- Support for Linux based Operating System Software. (Great choice there SONY! I love linux! No I seriously do!)
- Web Browser (The PS3 has a more capable web browser than the Wii's.)
- PSP Connectivity (Remote Play) (This is actually an awsome little feature. Try it sometime!)
All of that for $400-$500. (Sure its the most expensive console, but it has the most support out of the box for a lot of main stream products of today's world. The PS3 is more like a Multi-Media Hub.)
Phew... that was really starting to ware me out trying to find every possible item supported in the box for each system.
Now the PS3 unit itself may be big. But it sure does replace a LOT of other electronics found in the home without needing too many add ons to make it better. The Wii and 360 take up more space simply because you either have to buy a different electronic device, or buy an add-on for the unit itself, in order to view other media. Having an "All-in-one box" is more cost efficient.)
That is why I believe the PS3 is the best choice for Consumers. (Notice how I said "Consumers" and not "Gamers?")
Now it seems to me that everyone in here only buys a console to play games.
In essence its all about what games you like. Scores, reviews, and development diaries don't mean **** to any casual gamer. (Only fans and fanboys are affected by this. Except fanboys are more affected than fans. Now for an example below. Or just fill in any random game title into this formula and you've got a child-ish argument going on:
Line 1-[Slot A] "X" sucks, [Slot B] "Y" is better.
Line 2-[Slot A] "Y" sucks, [Slot B] "Z" is better.)
Its just like me saying: "Halo sucks, I think Resistance is better."
and you reply: "Resistance sucks, Gears of War is better."
Then I say: "Gears of War sucks, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune is better."
and you reply: "Uncharted sucks, BioShock is better."
The I say: "BioShock sucks, Heavenly Sword is better."
and you reply: "Heavenly Sword sucks, Mass Effect is better."
Then I say "Mass Effect Sucks, Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction is better."
and you reply: "Ratchet sucks, Dead Rising is better."
Then I say: "Dead Rising Sucks, Time Crisis 4 is better."
and you reply: "TC4 sucks, Project Gotham Racing 4 is better."
Then I say: "PGR4 sucks, MotorStorm is better."
and you reply: "MS sucks, Forza 2 is better!"
Then I say: "Forza 2 sucks, Grand Turismo HD Concept is better."
and you reply: "GT sucks, Splinter Cell is better."
Then I say: "TC's:SC sucks, MGS is better."
and you reply:(Insert Game "P" into Slot A, Place different game title into "Q" in slot B.)
You can pretty much see where this is going and it will forever continue like this between fanboys. (Just remember that any of the above sentences can be expressed in different ways and any title can be in slot A or B.)
As long as there is one other platform on the market there will always be a debate.
Just remember not everyone has the same likes and dislikes as you do. And what is popular isn't always the best.
To sum up that entire example above for you so its easy to understand: Everyone has their reasons, and your reasons are not the same as everyones. Just because someone is different than you doesn't mean that they are below, or above you.
This whole console war is nothing but child's play. I hope that everyone fighting in this forum realizes that.
(Smart people would have noticed the black bars by now and tried to highlight them to see what is being hidden in them. If you didn't catch onto that then well... you're a Newbie.)
(I am Pro PS3. Just wanted to make that clear.)
I updated this post so fanboys don't become *****es in the future about it. (Are you happy that I at least left this thought bubble out of the "Spoiler" filter?)