Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Console Wars

* * * - - 14 votes

• Please log in to reply
4636 replies to this topic

Utttand4

Utttand4
  • Members
  • 2,859 posts
QUOTE (Zllig @ Jan 17 2008, 04:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It isn't possible to hate Carmack, if you hate Carmack then you probably should just kill yourself now.

Much truth.

Without John, there wouldnt be Doom, without Doom their wouldnt be Halo/Gears, without Halo/Gears their wouldnt be Halo3 and the xbox wouldve died leaving you all to the *gasp* PStriple.
QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Jan 17 2008, 05:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First, "no performance loss" seems like it would kind of depend on the hardware.
I'll gladly take low cost and good graphics over high cost and better graphics.

I agree its rather vague, but, if anything, this technology would only reduce the graphical burden on your system. I guess we'll have to wait and see, im impressed that they got the Rage demo running on all 4 systems (PC, mac, 360, PS3) in only a few days notice.
QUOTE (Jarett @ Feb 17 2008, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think console shooters suck balls.

Zllig

Zllig
  • Members
  • 790 posts
QUOTE (Utttand4 @ Jan 16 2008, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Much truth.

Without John, there wouldnt be Doom, without Doom their wouldnt be Halo/Gears, without Halo/Gears their wouldnt be Halo3 and the xbox wouldve died leaving you all to the *gasp* PStriple.

Without John, life would not be, John coded existence.

Utttand4

Utttand4
  • Members
  • 2,859 posts
QUOTE (Zllig @ Jan 17 2008, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Without John, life would not be, John coded existence.

Our memories of perceiving 3D objects throughout life is an illusion. Before Doom3, lights did not cast shadows and stories of demons did not exist. Only after He released His game were these perceptions etched into our collective memories.
QUOTE (Jarett @ Feb 17 2008, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think console shooters suck balls.

liquidicevi

liquidicevi
  • Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Games, people, life.
  • PSN:Liquid_Ice_VI
Ok so I'm in the middle of picking between getting an Xbox 360 or a PS3 and I want to know which is the most reliable now days.
Such as which of the two consoles are more likely to have issues like not starting up correctly or just plain dieing. Now I don't wanna know which one rocks more for w/e reason mkay icon_razz.gif just which one is less likely to have to be returned to the store after certain amount of time.

Thanks for anyone who answer my question icon_smile.gif

1a_zps7e591386.jpg

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,322 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
QUOTE (liquidicevi @ Jan 16 2008, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok so I'm in the middle of picking between getting an Xbox 360 or a PS3 and I want to know which is the most reliable now days.
Such as which of the two consoles are more likely to have issues like not starting up correctly or just plain dieing. Now I don't wanna know which one rocks more for w/e reason mkay icon_razz.gif just which one is less likely to have to be returned to the store after certain amount of time.

Thanks for anyone who answer my question icon_smile.gif

Pretty sure that would be PS3, I don't think it breaks down much.

helpfulh.jpg
Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

Rljohn

Rljohn
  • Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • xfire:rljohn
  • Xbox / GFWL:rljohn
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:4945597007048201
QUOTE (UDP @ Jan 16 2008, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty sure that would be PS3, I don't think it breaks down much.

#1) I wasn't aware you also lived in London...
#2) New 360's are very reliable, just dont' buy one thats 2 years old/used...

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,322 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
QUOTE (Rljohn @ Jan 17 2008, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
#1) I wasn't aware you also lived in London...
#2) New 360's are very reliable, just dont' buy one thats 2 years old/used...

pp_smiley11.gif I do, I'm going to Western next year also, so I'll still be here icon_razz.gif
I don't know much about the hardware problems of 360/ps3, but I'm pretty sure that the PS3 is still probably less likely to break down than a 360.

helpfulh.jpg
Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

Rljohn

Rljohn
  • Members
  • 1,384 posts
QUOTE (UDP @ Jan 17 2008, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
pp_smiley11.gif I do, I'm going to Western next year also, so I'll still be here icon_razz.gif
I don't know much about the hardware problems of 360/ps3, but I'm pretty sure that the PS3 is still probably less likely to break down than a 360.

Ah, thats cool, I'm taking software engineering at Western, small world.

Rljohn

Rljohn
  • Members
  • 1,384 posts
Pretty great year for Microsoft, pretty good year for Nintendo, pretty bad year for Sony:

http://kotaku.com/34...s-seems-pleased

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
  • xfire:eedok
  • Interests:qqq
  • Steam ID:eedok
  • Xbox / GFWL:eedok
  • Wii:3394-3242-5681
  • Gamer Army ID:1176
lol at the big disparity of correlation and causation in that article. The 360 having the most supply was the biggest thing boosting the sales.

killer_rabbit79

killer_rabbit79
  • GA Private
  • 1,570 posts
  • xfire:killerrabbit79
  • Interests:gaming, technology, neuroscience, philosophy
  • Xbox / GFWL:killer rabbit79
  • Wii:0167122459070060
  • Gamer Army ID:1640
The newest 360s are very good. I got mine in July and I haven't had a red light ever. I wouldn't use breakdown frequency as a selling point personally, unless it was over 50% (which it never was). Right now, the 360 has more good games than the PS3 but this year looks like it might actually be good for Sony. I'm still gonna stick with my 360 though cause Microsoft isn't looking shabby either.

liquidicevi

liquidicevi
  • Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Games, people, life.
  • PSN:Liquid_Ice_VI
Thanks guys.

1 other quick question. Whats the PS3's future like? As in if sales don't pick up will it die and be over run by xbox and wii?
Or do you reckon it will pick up soon and will have a happy future ahead of it (considering the new games for ps3 are good)

Cause I don't wanna get a PS3 then later finding its going with dreamcasts fate and they stop making games for it...

1a_zps7e591386.jpg

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
QUOTE (liquidicevi @ Jan 19 2008, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks guys.

1 other quick question. Whats the PS3's future like? As in if sales don't pick up will it die and be over run by xbox and wii?
Or do you reckon it will pick up soon and will have a happy future ahead of it (considering the new games for ps3 are good)

Cause I don't wanna get a PS3 then later finding its going with dreamcasts fate and they stop making games for it...

noones going to face a dreamcast fate because no other company besides sony deliberately denies other company of their sales by warning the stores not to sell a product.

PS3 may be losing this 'war' but sony isnt going to go away anytime soon.

Infernoblaze

Infernoblaze
  • Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • xfire:infernoblaze
  • Interests:RTS, FPS, Basketball, badminton, tennis, smash bros, TF2, L4D
  • Steam ID:=[DC]= Inferno
  • Xbox / GFWL:Skorbat
  • Wii:1761398045461017
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Jan 16 2008, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's why you have the configuration thing.

Sorry to bring this up from a while back but lots of you went on about this "configuration thing". I must be missing something, where can you find this on the wii? All I can find it a choice of widescreen or not, where the sensor bar is (top/bottom) and connection type. So where's this "configuration thing"?

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
QUOTE (Myth @ Jan 19 2008, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
noones going to face a dreamcast fate because no other company besides sony deliberately denies other company of their sales by warning the stores not to sell a product.

PS3 may be losing this 'war' but sony isnt going to go away anytime soon.

Plus, the Dreamcast was following the commercial bombs of the 32X and Saturn, whereas the PS3 is following the resounding successes of the PS1 and PS2.
I see it having more of a Gamecube fate; still getting some sales and a few good games, but not being any kind of threat to the other two consoles out.
IPB Image

Silverslug

Silverslug

Best Console Contributor 2006

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
  • xfire:fruitsofherwomb
  • Xbox / GFWL:fruitsofherwomb
  • Gamer Army ID:118
I don't even consider PS3 loosing the war, since Bluray will win the media format war. That generates more cash for Sony.

As for the Dreamcast, it was a lot of things that made them fail. Well first of all they were broke cause of horrible management. A chairman of SEGA at the time called Isao Okawa donated 40 million for the Dreamcast to keep going. I doubt any business man in any of the current gen companies would do something like that. Regardless it had little to do with Sony, sure they were competition, but it was just wrong timing and no money.

As for not letting stores sell products, the only company I know that did that was Nintendo. During the 8-bit generation.

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
i dont recall nintendo telling retails that they wont supply the retailers with NES consoles if the retailers also have other company's 8 bit consoles for sale.

killer_rabbit79

killer_rabbit79
  • GA Private
  • 1,570 posts
  • xfire:killerrabbit79
  • Interests:gaming, technology, neuroscience, philosophy
  • Xbox / GFWL:killer rabbit79
  • Wii:0167122459070060
  • Gamer Army ID:1640
QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Jan 19 2008, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Plus, the Dreamcast was following the commercial bombs of the 32X and Saturn, whereas the PS3 is following the resounding successes of the PS1 and PS2.
I see it having more of a Gamecube fate; still getting some sales and a few good games, but not being any kind of threat to the other two consoles out.

That makes much more sense than the console dying. The PS3's situation is actually suprisingly similar to the Gamecube's tbh. The PS3 has a lot of owners but they are a minority and the underdog. Also, the Gamecube had better graphics than the PS2 but the PS2 had more good games, which is how the 360 is beating the PS3, even with slightly weaker hardware. I think the PS3 will have a much better year this year but I doubt it will be as good as the 360's and don't even get me started on the Wii's future.

QUOTE (Myth @ Jan 19 2008, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i dont recall nintendo telling retails that they wont supply the retailers with NES consoles if the retailers also have other company's 8 bit consoles for sale.

How is that related? Seriosuly, I want to know. I'm not being sarcastic here. Seriously... please don't flame me.

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
QUOTE (killer_rabbit79 @ Jan 20 2008, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is that related? Seriosuly, I want to know. I'm not being sarcastic here. Seriously... please don't flame me.

related to what? my comment was talking about THIS:

QUOTE (Myth @ Jan 19 2008, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Silverslug @ Jan 20 2008, 04:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for not letting stores sell products, the only company I know that did that was Nintendo. During the 8-bit generation.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
  • PSN:The_Con-Sept
This is my first post in this forum and I can clearly see a tough crowd ahead of me. Of course I am going to be quoted probably several times for everything that I post in this one reply about the console war. Some people may be biased towards one console over the other (And lets face it: PC will always come out on top of consoles unless development companies like NCSoft, Crytek and Epic keep making Console games, while other development companies follow.) while others will either agree, or completely ignore my reply all together because they are either too lazy to read it or not able to understand the concept.

Now that I've pointed that out I will just give you my opinion on which I think is better for the consumer in one short answer.
The PlayStation 3. (Imagine if I just ended the argument right here. -Seriously some people in this particular thread just disgust me while others I think may have a learning disability. And the majority of people in here act like they are 12 and consider themselves a leader.- Now I am going to try my best to get people to stop fighting over this because its just plain stupid. The people posting up numbers, reviews, gaming scores, and other various things are approaching this crowd the wrong way. Telling people what to buy without giving good reasons is flat out fanboy-ism. Thus why I am going to set this thread straight by giving good reasons rather than just saying what I just did.)

Did you take a good breather after reading that sentence before you decided to just make a reply based on that?

Good. Lets continue to the LONG explanation of why I think the PlayStation 3 is better for the consumer out of the Wii and the XBOX 360.

I am going to compare each console "Out of the box" style. (If there is anything that I missed just say so and don't be a ***** *** fanboy. I will correct it as it needs to be.)

For each system you get:
the unit
1 controller (or two depending on which package you buy.)
the power cable (and for the 360: a power brick)
and the audio/video cable (Or for the 360 -again depending on which package you buy- an HDMI 1.2 cable and a "plug in" microphone. Also notice how I didn't say that the PS3 had one included? In fact in one package the Audio/Video Cable isn't even included. Why? Most people have a PS2. It uses the same Audio/Video cable input for the console. It is another bad move by sony but think about it... How popular is the PS2?)

Now this is where the comparison really begins.

For the Wii you have support for:
- Wii games
- GameCube games
- Full online play (WiFi only) (WiFi is okay... but I doubt everyone has a wireless router in their home.)
- Virtual Console access
- Web Browser (Just to make things clear... Web browsing on a console is not as good as browsing on a computer for several reasons that I don't feel like posting up.)

All of that for $250.00 (I like the Wii by the way. Its just that online for it is not as good as... well... PS2.)

For the XBOX 360 you have support for:
- 360 games
- XBO games (XBO stands for XBOX Original games-A.K.A. XBOX 1-, however depending on the package you buy it may or may not be supported.)
- XBL Silver Account Again, depending on which package you buy, you may or may not get a 1 month free Gold Account.)
- XBLA (The funny thing is that I missed this the first time around and someone had to be a ***** *** fanboy about it instead of just saying what I missed and moving on.)
- DVD Movies
- CD Music
- XBOX / 360 accessories
- IPTV
- Media Server connectivity with at least a Windows XP Operated Computer. (Why does it have to be with XP only? They need to make it more open.)

All of that for $300-$400 (The 360 is more "Pay for this service" based. That really doesn't attract many customers.)

For the PlayStation 3 you have support for:
- PS3 games
- PS2 games -for the 20, 60, and 80 gig models.- (Bad decision Sony! All PS3 models should support PS2 games!)
- PS1 games (All models support PS1 games because of the PS Store having PS1 titles in it for sale.)
- Blue-Tooth Devices
- Full online play (Ethernet and WiFi -WiFi is in the 40, 60, and 80 gig models-)
- BD & DVD Movies
- CD Music
- Data CD/DVD/BD (Data CD/DVD/BD means the PS3 is able to read disc's with data in them. Like .mp3 -Music- or .mpg -Movie- files.)
- Any SATA 2.5" HDD
- PS1, PS2, PS3, and "Plug n' Play" Accessories (Anything you buy in the store for a computer that supports Plug n' Play functionality works on the PS3.)
- Digital Audio (THX and DD)
- Media Server Connectivity with any computer with the right software and specs. (I'm sure a few people will make a comment on this. But basically any computer with at least a Pentium 3 chip will do.)
- Full DivX support (A lot of people will try to say the 360 has the better DivX support, however it doesn't. You can't save a DivX movie to your 360's hard drive. It has to be media streamed.)
- Support for Linux based Operating System Software. (Great choice there SONY! I love linux! No I seriously do!)
- Web Browser (The PS3 has a more capable web browser than the Wii's.)
- PSP Connectivity (Remote Play) (This is actually an awsome little feature. Try it sometime!)

All of that for $400-$500. (Sure its the most expensive console, but it has the most support out of the box for a lot of main stream products of today's world. The PS3 is more like a Multi-Media Hub.)

Phew... that was really starting to ware me out trying to find every possible item supported in the box for each system.
Now the PS3 unit itself may be big. But it sure does replace a LOT of other electronics found in the home without needing too many add ons to make it better. The Wii and 360 take up more space simply because you either have to buy a different electronic device, or buy an add-on for the unit itself, in order to view other media. Having an "All-in-one box" is more cost efficient.)

That is why I believe the PS3 is the best choice for Consumers. (Notice how I said "Consumers" and not "Gamers?")

Now it seems to me that everyone in here only buys a console to play games.
In essence its all about what games you like. Scores, reviews, and development diaries don't mean **** to any casual gamer. (Only fans and fanboys are affected by this. Except fanboys are more affected than fans. Now for an example below. Or just fill in any random game title into this formula and you've got a child-ish argument going on:
Line 1-[Slot A] "X" sucks, [Slot B] "Y" is better.
Line 2-[Slot A] "Y" sucks, [Slot B] "Z" is better.)

Its just like me saying: "Halo sucks, I think Resistance is better."
and you reply: "Resistance sucks, Gears of War is better."
Then I say: "Gears of War sucks, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune is better."
and you reply: "Uncharted sucks, BioShock is better."
The I say: "BioShock sucks, Heavenly Sword is better."
and you reply: "Heavenly Sword sucks, Mass Effect is better."
Then I say "Mass Effect Sucks, Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction is better."
and you reply: "Ratchet sucks, Dead Rising is better."
Then I say: "Dead Rising Sucks, Time Crisis 4 is better."
and you reply: "TC4 sucks, Project Gotham Racing 4 is better."
Then I say: "PGR4 sucks, MotorStorm is better."
and you reply: "MS sucks, Forza 2 is better!"
Then I say: "Forza 2 sucks, Grand Turismo HD Concept is better."
and you reply: "GT sucks, Splinter Cell is better."
Then I say: "TC's:SC sucks, MGS is better."
and you reply:(Insert Game "P" into Slot A, Place different game title into "Q" in slot B.)
You can pretty much see where this is going and it will forever continue like this between fanboys. (Just remember that any of the above sentences can be expressed in different ways and any title can be in slot A or B.)

As long as there is one other platform on the market there will always be a debate.

Just remember not everyone has the same likes and dislikes as you do. And what is popular isn't always the best.

To sum up that entire example above for you so its easy to understand: Everyone has their reasons, and your reasons are not the same as everyones. Just because someone is different than you doesn't mean that they are below, or above you.

This whole console war is nothing but child's play. I hope that everyone fighting in this forum realizes that.

(Smart people would have noticed the black bars by now and tried to highlight them to see what is being hidden in them. If you didn't catch onto that then well... you're a Newbie.)

(I am Pro PS3. Just wanted to make that clear.)

I updated this post so fanboys don't become *****es in the future about it. (Are you happy that I at least left this thought bubble out of the "Spoiler" filter?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users