Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pure Pwnage Forums Folding Team!

* * * * - 28 votes

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

Revelstoke

Revelstoke
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,515 posts
  • xfire:revelstoke
  • Interests:Pure Pwnage (been to all the releases), overclocking, and PC gaming.
  • Wii:4422074853482481
  • Gamer Army ID:622
  • Company:Bravo
Hey all.

Some of you have probably heard about distributed computing. Put simply, it's when a program is processed over multiple computers, rather than on one larger computer. One of the best examples of this would be Stanford University's Folding@Home program. This program aims to find cures for many diseases, including Alzheimer's, by understanding how proteins fold. By running the Folding@Home program, you can put your spare CPU cycles to work, and promote our forums at the same time. While F@H does run in the background, it uses only spare cycles. This means when another application requires your CPU, it takes priority over the F@H client. I have personally been folding for almost 2 years now, and have never noticed a drop in performance, even though I leave it running while gaming.

The program is very easy to setup, and runs automatically after installation and setup. There are many different types of clients you can use, including a screensaver, a bare-bones console version, and a graphical version that runs in the background whenever your computer is logged on, and can be accessed in the taskbar.

To setup the program, simply download the client of your choice here, and install. After installation configure the program and choose a name of your choice, and if you want to join the team I started for the forums, our team number is 86168.

LINKS

F@H Homepage

F@H FAQ

F@H Downloads Page

Pure Pwnage Forums Folding Team Stats!

If you have any questions about folding, or need help setting up the client, shoot me a PM, add me on MSN, or simply post in this thread!

Well, as this thread has a full 5 star rating, good replies and discussion, and a number of us mods agree that its a great community initiative, I'm gunna go ahead and sticky this. Hopefully others will follow your example Revelstoke in creating equally epic community projects icon_wink.gif ~\/Ʀ52~

AZN_L473ncy

AZN_L473ncy
  • Members
  • 612 posts
How much bandwidth does this program use?

I ask because my bandwidth is capped and I really don't want to pay overcharge/overbandwidth fees (is $2/GB a ripoff? I think so).

I will definitely do this once I get a new ISP, or if it doesn't use too much bandwidth and just uses lots of processing power for small files then I will join in.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
If you know the way DNA works.. it uses very little bandwith.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Revelstoke

Revelstoke
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,515 posts
  • Interests:Pure Pwnage (been to all the releases), overclocking, and PC gaming.
QUOTE (AZN_L473ncy @ Sep 6 2007, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How much bandwidth does this program use?

I ask because my bandwidth is capped and I really don't want to pay overcharge/overbandwidth fees (is $2/GB a ripoff? I think so).

I will definitely do this once I get a new ISP, or if it doesn't use too much bandwidth and just uses lots of processing power for small files then I will join in.

it uses very little bandwith, the only bandwith it uses is when it gets new data to work on, and sends the completed data... it's very little data that it has to sends... i wouldnt worry about the bandwith, glad to see some interest! icon_smile.gif

Clarkey

Clarkey
  • Members
  • 2,654 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Clarketk
  • PSN:Clarkek
  • Wii:4185422692335237
Actually this is a program done by the government to monitor your computer activities. They're trying to see if you're a being from outer space. Burn your computer! NOW!

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

Best HW & SW Contributor 08 & 09

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dont like
  • PSN:Completely detest
  • Wii:Cant afford
QUOTE (Revelstoke @ Sep 6 2007, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While F@H does run in the background, it uses only spare cycles. This means when another application requires your CPU, it takes priority over the F@H client. I have personally been folding for almost 2 years now, and have never noticed a drop in performance, even though I leave it running while gaming.

Well it aint gunna do that for me because i got my IRQ table all over the place meaning itll probably take precedence over something else i want to respond faster.

So
1. install client
2. start folding@home under pp
3. ????
4. profit

so, what exactly is step number 3 again? icon_razz.gif

TBH i think for cutting edge research like this they should get enough to build their own supercomputer TBH, u kno like a mainframe machine or a baerwulf cluster.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

Revelstoke

Revelstoke
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,515 posts
QUOTE (7h3 n00b m4573r @ Sep 6 2007, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well it aint gunna do that for me because i got my IRQ table all over the place meaning itll probably take precedence over something else i want to respond faster.

So
1. install client
2. start folding@home under pp
3. ????
4. profit

so, what exactly is step number 3 again? icon_razz.gif

TBH i think for cutting edge research like this they should get enough to build their own supercomputer TBH, u kno like a mainframe machine or a baerwulf cluster.

IRQ settings don't really matter, it only uses your *spare* CPU cycles.. if something uses the cycles first.. it stops using them...

and about the supercomputer... they're freaking exspensive.

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
QUOTE (Revelstoke @ Sep 7 2007, 06:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IRQ settings don't really matter, it only uses your *spare* CPU cycles.. if something uses the cycles first.. it stops using them...

Dude, do you even know how a fucking interrupt works?

QUOTE (Revelstoke @ Sep 7 2007, 06:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and about the supercomputer... they're freaking exspensive.

Yeah, but for cutting edge research they should have that kinda moneys. If they werent expensive i'd probably have one.

Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

stalker[NL]

stalker[NL]
  • Members
  • 268 posts
  • xfire:stalkergamer1256
QUOTE (7h3 n00b m4573r @ Sep 7 2007, 06:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they werent expensive i'd probably have one.

GFT

sorry but i need to LOL on that one
IPB Image

Revelstoke

Revelstoke
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,515 posts
QUOTE (7h3 n00b m4573r @ Sep 7 2007, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude, do you even know how a fucking interrupt works?
Yeah, but for cutting edge research they should have that kinda moneys. If they werent expensive i'd probably have one.

sigh...

im not going to argue with you dude.. ive built my first PC when i was 11.. i know a little bit about computers.

TEB

TEB
  • Members
  • 2,905 posts
  • xfire:techieelite
  • Interests:Computers
Cmon ladies this isnt a contest.

DougH started something like this a while ago, but the thread died down due to a lack of support.
Its a good concept, but people just wont dedicate to it.

Revelstoke

Revelstoke
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,515 posts
QUOTE (TEB @ Sep 7 2007, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cmon ladies this isnt a contest.

DougH started something like this a while ago, but the thread died down due to a lack of support.
Its a good concept, but people just wont dedicate to it.

yeah.. icon_sad.gif

i'm getting my second rig connected soon.. but so far i'm the only one icon_sad.gif

Guest_FridgeCat_*

Guest_FridgeCat_*
  • Guests
Iv joined the PP team to offer my mediocre proccessing power =P

Not sure when my stats appear though...

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
QUOTE (Revelstoke @ Sep 7 2007, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ive built my first PC when i was 11.. i know a little bit about computers.

Building a computer is piss easy and TBH doesnt mean you know shit about how they work.
I mean to build a computer you dont have to know how things like memory addressing works or your internal bus topological layout.
And given the fact that you're not saying you do know how interrupts work im going to assume you dont.
Basically everything has an interrupt, including folding@home, folding@home will take spare cycles only if the game or w/e you are doing at the time has a higher interrupt, if folding@home has a higher interrupt it will consume all your machines processing power and you'll lag like shit (you could set folding@home with a high interrupt manually but its a fucking dumb idea lol)
Because ive set my interrrupts all over the place its quite possible folding@home will have a higher one than some other process or hardware interrupt on my machine meaning that it will take priority over it which is not something i want running at the time.

Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

Revelstoke

Revelstoke
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,515 posts
QUOTE (7h3 n00b m4573r @ Sep 7 2007, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Building a computer is piss easy and TBH doesnt mean you know shit about how they work.
I mean to build a computer you dont have to know how things like memory addressing works or your internal bus topological layout.
And given the fact that you're not saying you do know how interrupts work im going to assume you dont.
Basically everything has an interrupt, including folding@home, folding@home will take spare cycles only if the game or w/e you are doing at the time has a higher interrupt, if folding@home has a higher interrupt it will consume all your machines processing power and you'll lag like shit (you could set folding@home with a high interrupt manually but its a fucking dumb idea lol)
Because ive set my interrrupts all over the place its quite possible folding@home will have a higher one than some other process or hardware interrupt on my machine meaning that it will take priority over it which is not something i want running at the time.

first PC i ever worked with, an old 486 with windows that a friend of mine had, the problem was interrupt conflicts. just because i dont have a shitload of posts in the hardware section, and i dont have an A+ cert, and don't spend all of my time on the internet looking at new hardware doesn't mean i dont know anything about computers..

anyways... lets stop the fighting <3

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
QUOTE (Revelstoke @ Sep 7 2007, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
first PC i ever worked with, an old 486 with windows that a friend of mine had, the problem was interrupt conflicts.

Yer, back in the day, total bitch to fix lolz

just because i dont have a shitload of posts in the hardware section, and i dont have an A+ cert, and don't spend all of my time on the internet looking at new hardware doesn't mean i dont know anything about computers..

Meh, post count is a postcount, its no big fucking deal TBH, just means ive been on this forum longer than the next guy in most cases

anyways... lets stop the fighting <3

Meh, works for me, tho arguin is kinda fun

Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
evol, teb and i had the PurePwnage folding team, but no one else wanted to join icon_confused.gif

Revelstoke

Revelstoke
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,515 posts
QUOTE (DougHChrist @ Sep 7 2007, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
evol, teb and i had the PurePwnage folding team, but no one else wanted to join icon_confused.gif

is it ok if i still keep promoting this?

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
QUOTE (Revelstoke @ Sep 8 2007, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is it ok if i still keep promoting this?

hell ya it is! just letting u know that we had tried before, and it died quickly. but i heavily support f@h!!!

Uberman - SpecOps Kerrigan

Uberman - SpecOps Kerrigan
  • GA Major
  • 1,245 posts
  • xfire:shtinker69
  • Interests:Pure Pwnage
  • Steam ID:shtinker69
  • Xbox / GFWL:VESL Uberman
  • PSN:VESL_Uberman
  • Wii:6293431832742578
  • Gamer Army ID:376
  • Company:Charlie
hey dude... don't forget the SETI team...

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_displa...p?teamid=124613

I just left the team i was in to join this one... i am registered as gekkotech.com its from an old project and i am too lazy to make a new account.... just remember thats me.

*EDIT
wait dude... i just looked @ the team list... why not continue the existing Pure Pwnage team?
51067 Pure Pwnage
instead of this...
86168 Pure Pwnage Forums

the regular pure pwnage one has more stuff completed, I am gonna join that since ur the only 1 in the "forums" one

Edited by Special Ops Kerrigan, 10 September 2007 - 09:19 PM.

www.FragForCancer.ca
Founder of the Provision to Protect Pronobozo's Physiognomy - Survivor of the "Stockade"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users