Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nethack

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Video Gaming (PC mostly, also arcade shmups)<br />Chess<br />Linux/computers<br />Sci-fi (Dune, Star Wars, whatever)<br />Martial Arts<br />Philosophy
  • Steam ID:Destruct0r
  • PSN:kracine
  • Wii:5323779916910511
Here's the installer for this most-amazing game: link (scroll down to find it)

Honestly one of the greatest games ever conceived by the minds of mortal beings. Linux users have been enjoying this one for centuries but probably not too many other people know about it (I'm guessing).

What other game contains both the Wumpus, a Grue, gnome zombies, or the possibility of dying from a newt while frozen or unconscious even on high levels? Hell you can die of hunger if you're too noob to not find food in time. This game is for the hardcore of hardcore gamers.
Current blog entry: The Future of Gaming According to Bobby Kotick
You are Likely to be Eaten by a Grue

#CaMer0n

#CaMer0n

GA Corporal

• Banned
  • 5,279 posts
  • xfire:Bag
  • Interests:skating
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dip
  • PSN:Tea
  • Wii:Lift
  • Gamer Army ID:214
wow that game is horrible
/die boredom
like wtf is the aim of the game

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
  • xfire:eedok
  • Interests:qqq
  • Steam ID:eedok
  • Xbox / GFWL:eedok
  • Wii:3394-3242-5681
  • Gamer Army ID:1176
I have had this game on my palm pilot, and in like 5 years of casual playing I've only ever made it to the medal and out of the dungeon alive once. Not for the feint of heart or the easily fustrated

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Video Gaming (PC mostly, also arcade shmups)<br />Chess<br />Linux/computers<br />Sci-fi (Dune, Star Wars, whatever)<br />Martial Arts<br />Philosophy
QUOTE (#CaMer0n @ Jul 23 2007, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow that game is horrible
/die boredom
like wtf is the aim of the game

Read the nethack guide on that website. Essentially the aim is to get to the bottom of the dungeon, retrieve the amulet of Yendor, and return to the surface alive. Extremely difficult. I've made it to level 5 before before dying in the gnome mines (a side quest). Basically, go down as far as possible without dying. Collect gold for more points.

the game is really deep, you just need to stick with it for a while. you can polymorph into a monster, train creatures to let you ride them, level up your dog/cat/horse to help you in battle, get dozens of different scrolls, there's cursed weapons that might have ill effects (and ways to counter that), there's different things you can eat or not eat, there's different gods you can pray or sacrifice to to help you, there's tons of magic and spells... really, the game has a TON of things to deal with while playing. I mean, I hope you can get around the graphics to realize how awesome the dynamics of the game is. Once you get below level 2 or so it starts getting really fun.x

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
Just reached level 6 of the Dungeons of Doom (farthest I've ever been). I was a ranger (good long-range attacks) and I had about 50 crossbow bolts. Stumbled into a throne room FULL of monsters (must have been 50 of them or so). There's kobold zombies, orcs, gnome lords, floating eyes, jackels, even Geckos. I backed into a corridor so they got bottlenecked, and I just unloaded with my crossbow for like 5 minutes. One of the monsters blinded me with magic, but I kept shooting and kept killing them all, until I ran out of crossbow bolts, at which point I switched to my curved short sword to keep hacking at them, and they were coming at me from both sides now, and I still couldn't see, and eventually I made some headway to move forward and pick up some of my crossbow bolts again, and started unloading on the monsters in the throne room some more, my ranger was levelling up like crazy and stats were increasing. I was really worried about my HP too because it was under 10 for a while and I didn't have any healing potions or scrolls (had a few unknown scrolls but I didn't want to read those unless I had to). Finally the room was cleared and I started feeling around inside to pick my stuff back up, and like two turns after I regain my sight, a Floating Eye freezes me and a Hill Orc kills me while I'm helpless.

I die with my character at level 8, with around 7100+ points, having killed 92 monsters in total. New high score. Fuckin' EPIC game. I'm still shaking from the adreneline.

If you haven't tried this game because of the graphics, you're missing a lot. This is THE game that proves gameplay > graphics.

Love Duckie

Love Duckie
  • GA Private
  • 2,448 posts
  • xfire:1337lucz0r
  • Gamer Army ID:2256
QUOTE (Destructor @ Jul 24 2007, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just reached level 6 of the Dungeons of Doom (farthest I've ever been). I was a ranger (good long-range attacks) and I had about 50 crossbow bolts. Stumbled into a throne room FULL of monsters (must have been 50 of them or so). There's kobold zombies, orcs, gnome lords, floating eyes, jackels, even Geckos. I backed into a corridor so they got bottlenecked, and I just unloaded with my crossbow for like 5 minutes. One of the monsters blinded me with magic, but I kept shooting and kept killing them all, until I ran out of crossbow bolts, at which point I switched to my curved short sword to keep hacking at them, and they were coming at me from both sides now, and I still couldn't see, and eventually I made some headway to move forward and pick up some of my crossbow bolts again, and started unloading on the monsters in the throne room some more, my ranger was levelling up like crazy and stats were increasing. I was really worried about my HP too because it was under 10 for a while and I didn't have any healing potions or scrolls (had a few unknown scrolls but I didn't want to read those unless I had to). Finally the room was cleared and I started feeling around inside to pick my stuff back up, and like two turns after I regain my sight, a Floating Eye freezes me and a Hill Orc kills me while I'm helpless.

I die with my character at level 8, with around 7100+ points, having killed 92 monsters in total. New high score. Fuckin' EPIC game. I'm still shaking from the adreneline.

If you haven't tried this game because of the graphics, you're missing a lot. This is THE game that proves gameplay > graphics.

Your body produced adrenaline from a text based game? Wow! How imaginative is your brain?

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
QUOTE (Love Duckie @ Jul 24 2007, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your body produced adrenaline from a text based game? Wow! How imaginative is your brain?

Pretty imaginative, and I think that's a good thing.

The game is rendered in ascii, you sort of have to be imaginitive.

the_king

the_king
  • Members
  • 545 posts
  • xfire:theacclaimed
  • Interests:Games, Music, Skiing
  • Xbox / GFWL:theacclaimed
It sounds fuckin awesome.... but it's text based? I mean I read the first post and your saying that it doesn't have the greatest graphics ever, which made me believe it had some graphics. I'll still probably check it out sometime but srsly, if it's that badass someone should make graphics for it icon_surprised.gif

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
QUOTE (the_king @ Jul 25 2007, 05:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It sounds fuckin awesome.... but it's text based? I mean I read the first post and your saying that it doesn't have the greatest graphics ever, which made me believe it had some graphics. I'll still probably check it out sometime but srsly, if it's that badass someone should make graphics for it icon_surprised.gif

Most versions have both a graphical and text-based interface. The graphical one is just sprites and tiles replacing the ascii characters, so it doesn't look great but it might be better to look at if you really care.

If you like Diablo I/II you'll love nethack. Diablo is basically the same game but with graphics and a lot less complex (really). Where else can you eat a magic floating eye, wrap a towel around your head, and be able to see all monsters in the dungeon while still being so blind you have to bump into walls or walk right over items to see what's going on around you?

BTW telnet into nethack.alt.org to play on the official server (or watch others play) and get your high score recorded. Don't even need the game installed.

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
  • xfire:eedok
  • Interests:qqq
  • Steam ID:eedok
  • Xbox / GFWL:eedok
  • Wii:3394-3242-5681
  • Gamer Army ID:1176
QUOTE (the_king @ Jul 25 2007, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well here it is in the default form:
CODE
                        lqqqk
                        x~~~x
                        ~~~~~
                        x~u@x
                        x~~~~
                        x~!~x
                        mqqqj

Rookje the Gallant       St:14 Dx:8 Co:12 In:8 Wi:15 Ch:18  Lawful S:17
Dlvl:1  $:17 HP:16(16) Pw:4(4) AC:3  Xp:1/0 T:3

and here's how it looks with graphics:

download page for graphical version - http://falconseye.sourceforge.net/index.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users