Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Starcraft 2 Updates

* * * * - 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
934 replies to this topic

JimRaynor

JimRaynor
  • Banned
  • 1,311 posts
  • xfire:jimraynor1
  • Interests:Starcraft<br />Korean girls<br />French girls<br />Black girls<br />Spanish girls
QUOTE (UDP @ Sep 16 2009, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dunno, they don't really have much strong competition in RTS though I'd say. I don't think many people would buy another RTS instead of SC II, it's probably just to sell to more people in general, not necessarily competition from a game like C&C.

"if" it is a "stronghold" of C&C and Blizzard puts a fraction of their considerable resources into Germany... bye bye C&C

QUOTE (James Madison @ Aug 25 1781, 11:48 AM)
If Tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be under the guise of fighting a foreign enemy

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,316 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
QUOTE (JimRaynor @ Sep 16 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"if" it is a "stronghold" of C&C and Blizzard puts a fraction of their considerable resources into Germany... bye bye C&C

I could say lots of ifs, there's no point, why does it matter if C&C is or isn't a stronghold in germany, what does that have to do with SC 2? It's not really worth discussing ifs, we could discuss ifs forever.

helpfulh.jpg
Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

JimRaynor

JimRaynor
  • Banned
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Starcraft<br />Korean girls<br />French girls<br />Black girls<br />Spanish girls
QUOTE (UDP @ Sep 16 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I could say lots of ifs, there's no point, why does it matter if C&C is or isn't a stronghold in germany, what does that have to do with SC 2? It's not really worth discussing ifs, we could discuss ifs forever.

The C&C and SC universes compete for consumer mindshare of the RTS niche market of video games.

you're not obligated to discuss any hypothetical situation...
but this is one way new theories and ideas are first formed...
via the exploration of hypothetical situations...

QUOTE (UDP @ Sep 16 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

C&C is considered to be very popular in Germany.
http://www.1up.com/d...age?cId=3162337

Is Blizzard... "goin for the throat" ?

Edited by JimRaynor, 16 September 2009 - 07:19 PM.

If Tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be under the guise of fighting a foreign enemy

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,316 posts
QUOTE (JimRaynor @ Sep 16 2009, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The C&C and SC universes compete for consumer mindshare of the RTS niche market of video games.

you're not obligated to discuss any hypothetical situation...
but this is one way new theories and ideas are first formed...
via the exploration of hypothetical situations...

C&C is considered to be very popular in Germany.
http://www.1up.com/d...age?cId=3162337

I still don't think it matters. Maybe if they were doing some special advertising in Germany, or had some kind of deal on the game, but getting the age restriction lowered, I don't think that's really some kind of competitive act towards C&C. TBH I think they're kind of screwing Germans a bit by removing some blood, I can imagine how pissed some people would be if that happened somewhere else. If anything I'd say they're making fans of C&C less likely to buy SC II. However, they're making younger fans of SC II able to buy it, and they won't have to worry as much about being boycotted or some crap for violence.

helpfulh.jpg
Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

JimRaynor

JimRaynor
  • Banned
  • 1,311 posts
QUOTE (UDP @ Sep 16 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still don't think it matters.

then you are not obligated to comment

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,316 posts
QUOTE (JimRaynor @ Sep 16 2009, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
then you are not obligated to comment

Neither are you, especially since I actually posted a thoughtful response and you just respond with that crap. Did you even read my post? So if I disagree with you I shouldn't post? I was just posting a counter to your argument, which you didn't make much of one anyways. Why does a lower age restriction mean blizzard is "going for the throat"? Is a lower age restriction really going to affect C&C that much? I doubt it.

helpfulh.jpg
Sig1.jpg

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
The thing about Germany is that they're cracking down very very hard on video games. They're trying to ban FPS (or they have) games in Germany.

I could see how Blizzard is trying to market this then, they want the game to be sellable in Germany. (I mean, I'm sure there are plenty there who want to play it.) However they must tread cautiously because of the violence in the game.

It would be bad for the game to be banned in Germany for some silly reason. I can see why they'd do this.

JimRaynor

JimRaynor
  • Banned
  • 1,311 posts
QUOTE (UDP @ Sep 16 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neither are you, especially since I actually posted a thoughtful response and you just respond with that crap. Did you even read my post? So if I disagree with you I shouldn't post? I was just posting a counter to your argument, which you didn't make much of one anyways. Why does a lower age restriction mean blizzard is "going for the throat"? Is a lower age restriction really going to affect C&C that much? I doubt it.

you already said "it does not matter"
if it does not matter then why bother making a comment?
as we learned later in the thread there is a good reason Blizzard is putting extra work into the German version of the game.
Had I followed along your hypercritical path this never would've been explored and I never would've figured out why Blizzard may be putting extra work into the German version of the game.

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,316 posts
QUOTE (JimRaynor @ Sep 16 2009, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you already said "it does not matter"
if it does not matter then why bother making a comment?
as we learned later in the thread there is a good reason Blizzard is putting extra work into the German version of the game.
Had I followed along your hypercritical path this never would've been explored and I never would've figured out why Blizzard may be putting extra work into the German version of the game.

I was saying C&C being popular doesn't matter because I didn't think that was why Blizzard went for a younger rating, and I still don't think that's why. I didn't say Blizzard dropping the rating doesn't matter, or else I wouldn't have talked about it. I'm not sure what good reason you're referring to, I said they weren't doing it to compete with C&C and "they're making younger fans of SC II able to buy it, and they won't have to worry as much about being boycotted or some crap for violence." Also I don't see how I was being hypercritical at all, everything I said was reasonable. You could've just looked up some backing for C&C being popular in Germany before posting a 'what if' type statement. I could say "If Germany is strict in terms of censorship it would make sense for Blizzard to do this", but there's no point in that, if we don't know whether they are or aren't, there's not much point in talking about it. I know Germany is strict, so that's a pretty good reason for Blizzard to want to preemptively get the game a younger rating.

helpfulh.jpg
Sig1.jpg

War29388

War29388
  • Members
  • 496 posts
  • xfire:war29388
Didn't they make one of the german versions of C&C into robots or something like that?

It is pretty damn obvious anyway why blizzard are cutting blood effects and that, of course they want to be able to sell it to more people, thats just common sense lol.
QUOTE (h3r1n6 @ Nov 9 2008, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
warlord u gosu ^_^

freeze: SHOOOWWWWMATCCCHHHHH :D

h3r1n6

h3r1n6

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• Global Moderators
  • 1,770 posts
  • xfire:h3r1n6
  • Interests:Gaming<br />Sports
  • Steam ID:h3r1n6
Yes. I believe it was Red Alert, where soldiers were bleeding oil. That wasn't as big of a deal for the game itself. German Half-Life though was broken due to censorship. I don't care about violence or not in the game, as long as the game plays good and is not ridiculously stupid. In Team-Fortress 2 enemies explode into springs, unicycles, those sets of teeth with a spring etc., but that doesn't brake the game, because the game itself is in this commicy look and gives the player an everything but serious atmosphere anyway.

sG Core asheS

sG Core asheS
  • Banned
  • 573 posts
sc2 ftw. :]
I'm Teh Best Mayne...I Deed It!! Eli
Leader of Eur Gunna Lose Gaming. [egL]
Watch It!

JimRaynor

JimRaynor
  • Banned
  • 1,311 posts
people on TL.Net and other hard core sites are crapping all over the "macro mechanics" built into SC2 to make up for auto-mining etc etc...
but there is another element of economy management that has a great deal of potential....
i'm really hoping they balance out the production of a vespene gas refinery so that you really have to think carefully about whether or not it is worth it to build that 2nd geyser.... it could add a fascinating layer of strategy to economy management if Blizzard pulls it off right.
this could mean making a vespene refinery cost more than 100 crystals... or slowing down and/or speeding up the production of a geyser ...
at this early stage Blizzard can really go wild with radical new concepts... i hope they do so...
if some of these wild ideas totally fall flat early in beta... who cares...

Gorthakk

Gorthakk
  • Members
  • 288 posts
I think the people at Team liquid would agree that if you actually have to put some thought into the macro mechanics it would be beneficial to sc2. ALso it isnt exactly a wild new idea.

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
I did wonder why they had 2 gas at the main in all of the SC2 maps I've seen. It seems like a terrible idea, I mean, when do you see 2 gas in SC1? Do you honestly need 2 gas for you to make a proper amount of units? Is the game more gas heavy? Do you mine less gas? (Not that you got much to begin with, especially when they depleted.)

But I agree with Jimmy on this. Blizz should be working on something similar to that, and if it does fall on its face. That's why it's beta!

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
QUOTE (JimRaynor @ Sep 23 2009, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
people on TL.Net and other hard core sites are crapping all over the "macro mechanics" built into SC2 to make up for auto-mining etc etc...

Don't make blanket statements like that; fabricating a majority opinion when there is none. Plenty of people have written supportive articles and voiced positive opinions regarding these new macro mechanics.

JimRaynor

JimRaynor
  • Banned
  • 1,311 posts
QUOTE (j type @ Sep 22 2009, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't make blanket statements like that; fabricating a majority opinion when there is none. Plenty of people have written supportive articles and voiced positive opinions regarding these new macro mechanics.

"people" is more than 1 person.
i never said it was a majority
this is the negative thread in question: http://www.teamliqui...topic_id=101256

lots of people are crapping on it.
most of those people have not played the game. they are just "imagining" how it feels to execute these new mechanics
so their opinions do not mean much.

if you have a comment on the important part of my post regarding the 2nd refinery in the main base then make it .

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
Does anyone know the answers to my questions about the 2nd gas?

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
QUOTE (JimRaynor @ Sep 23 2009, 03:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lots of people are crapping on it.

There you go. That wasn't too difficult now was it?

LysIs514

LysIs514

Best RTS Contributor '09

• Members
  • 670 posts
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Sep 22 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know the answers to my questions about the 2nd gas?

Geysers probably have less return... like how you only get 5 minerals per return rather than 8.
Maybe to keep up with the macro mechanics for mining more minerals.
Maybe they just wanted to add more viable build orders (to increase overall depth) by making when you take your second (maybe first?) gas a factor.

AltCtrl: if i was gonna play ra3 i might as well go play wizard 101 too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users