Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Small e-penis syndrome?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

LeutnantHaque

LeutnantHaque
  • Members
  • 231 posts
I sit here wondering whether I should buy 1gb of pc3200 ram ($60 shipped). I plan on getting a laptop soon but I also want my main rig to be good, as it has a decent grakka (haven't heard that word in a while have ya?)

I also plan on reinstalling windows xp (or vista) and dual booting it with ubuntu. I don't want to do this with only 512mb of ram.

So, I'm asking, should I upgrade even though I'm planning on getting a laptop?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
-George S. Patton

"The Kitchen Debate"
Nikita Khrushchev: "It stinks like fresh horse shit, and nothing smells worse than that."
Richard Nixon: "There is something that smells worse than horse shit and that is pig shit."

radradrobotanks

radradrobotanks
  • Members
  • 58 posts
QUOTE (LeutnantHaque @ Jun 14 2007, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sit here wondering whether I should buy 1gb of pc3200 ram ($60 shipped). I plan on getting a laptop soon but I also want my main rig to be good, as it has a decent grakka (haven't heard that word in a while have ya?)

I also plan on reinstalling windows xp (or vista) and dual booting it with ubuntu. I don't want to do this with only 512mb of ram.

So, I'm asking, should I upgrade even though I'm planning on getting a laptop?

If current ram is also pc3200 then yes why not. If your current ram is < pc3200 then new ram will run at the < pc3200 speed unfortunately. Dual booting doesnt tax your ram (not sure if that is what u are implying). Its hard to recommend upgrades without knowing what your current system is.

LeutnantHaque

LeutnantHaque
  • Members
  • 231 posts
I have an old p4 socket 478 2.4ghz proc., 512mb of ram, abit ai7, 80gb hdd, nvidia 6600.

Newegg has pc2700 and pc3200 for the same price so that doesn't really factor. I guess what I'm wondering is: is it even worth it to upgrade this old computer. It runs everything fine but I think that the ram upgrade will give it more of an edge.

Also, at some time, I DO want to put vista on this computer, so should I buy the ram?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
-George S. Patton

"The Kitchen Debate"
Nikita Khrushchev: "It stinks like fresh horse shit, and nothing smells worse than that."
Richard Nixon: "There is something that smells worse than horse shit and that is pig shit."

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

Best HW & SW Contributor 08 & 09

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dont like
  • PSN:Completely detest
  • Wii:Cant afford
Really is obselete technology, not worth investing in really IMO, maybe another 512mb but that would be about it

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

LeutnantHaque

LeutnantHaque
  • Members
  • 231 posts
I think it could run vista with more ram. what do you think?
-George S. Patton

"The Kitchen Debate"

Komet

Komet

PPFA 2006: Best HW&SW teh_overclockerer

• GA Corporal
  • 9,425 posts
  • xfire:theredkomet
  • Wii:7734541838954115
  • Gamer Army ID:128
It can run vista, but there's no reason to on such a weaker machine. XP has less overhead and would be much more suited to the smaller system. I agree with noob master, another 512 and it's good.

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
QUOTE (LeutnantHaque @ Jun 14 2007, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it could run vista with more ram. what do you think?

It can run vista on 512mb RAM, im doin it as i post here, tho its ball suckingly slow when you take out memory for onboard graphics too, fucken dell
Tho also what komet said and the fact that you have a 32bit single core so absolutely no gains from vista 64bit and dualcore support

Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

LeutnantHaque

LeutnantHaque
  • Members
  • 231 posts
Oh well, at least it will help my gaming. Rome total war is a total resource hog.
-George S. Patton

"The Kitchen Debate"

Murvin

Murvin
  • Banned
  • 76 posts
If limited funds are the issue, just buy second hand or do what I sometimes do and get paid to fix some tard's machine then swipe/downgrade a couple of their components while you're at it. It's really not difficult seeing as these tossers have PCs full of malware anyway, so will still notice a positive difference in speed when you're finished with it.

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
QUOTE (Murvin @ Jun 14 2007, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If limited funds are the issue, just buy second hand or do what I sometimes do and get paid to fix some tard's machine then swipe/downgrade a couple of their components while you're at it. It's really not difficult seeing as these tossers have PCs full of malware anyway, so will still notice a positive difference in speed when you're finished with it.

Ahh, thats alwayz good fun, one of the main places i get old hardware icon_biggrin.gif
swiped a gig of DDR RAM off some guy hehe

Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

LeutnantHaque

LeutnantHaque
  • Members
  • 231 posts
Man, if I did that, I couldn't sleep at night. I'd probably end up taking myself to the police station to confess. Thanks for the help fellas.
-George S. Patton

"The Kitchen Debate"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users