Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mainstream, meet me at camera 3...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Contrallion

Contrallion
  • Members
  • 1,778 posts
QUOTE (Silverslug @ Jun 11 2007, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This whole topic is Fucking gay, seriously. Saying that people can't like a certian type of music.... thats all this comes down too, so what if Dragon Force can have the best solo of the week, if the person doesn't like the way it SOUNDS it doesn't mean shit in the end.

Alot of you guys don't give a fuck about other peoples taste in music and are confined to your own little section, you guys are no better then 'them'.

Get a clue miss. We're not saying that your opinions are shit. We're saying that talent in the mainstream has gone downhill. Nobody is insulting "happyhour"'s taste in rap (that's a whole different subject for a whole different thread) - we're saying that in the 60s and 70s, musicians were much better than they are now.

People like you can never differentiate between insulting someone's own beliefs and putting down musicians that person likes.

Silverslug

Silverslug

Best Console Contributor 2006

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
  • xfire:fruitsofherwomb
  • Xbox / GFWL:fruitsofherwomb
  • Gamer Army ID:118
QUOTE (Contrallion @ Jun 11 2007, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get a clue miss. We're not saying that your opinions are shit. We're saying that talent in the mainstream has gone downhill. Nobody is insulting "happyhour"'s taste in rap (that's a whole different subject for a whole different thread) - we're saying that in the 60s and 70s, musicians were much better than they are now.

People like you can never differentiate between insulting someone's own beliefs and putting down musicians that person likes.

Sounds like your the clueless one.

Contrallion

Contrallion
  • Members
  • 1,778 posts
QUOTE (Silverslug @ Jun 11 2007, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like your the clueless one.

NO U

Nice comeback, next time try to refute some of my points.

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
QUOTE (happyhour @ Jun 11 2007, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QF fucking T

i agree with you. i listen to hip hop and it pisses me off when people go out of their way to explain to me its shit.

maybe it is, i dont care. i like it.

When the hell did I say "all hip hop sucks" in this topic? I have rap loving friends who say mainstream rap sucks. If there's actual effort and meaning behind the words, I still won't personally like it, but I'll at least respect it. If they're saying how nice people think their ass is, and how much money they have, that's not good writing. In the OP, I'm simply saying that the genre did lead to some pretty shitty releases, regardless of having some good ones.

so what if Dragon Force can have the best solo of the week, if the person doesn't like the way it SOUNDS it doesn't mean shit in the end.

Where was Dragonforce mentioned? I'm actually of the opinion that their stuff gets pretty repetitive, so that's a terrible example.
It's more a question of, why the fuck are we as a society rewarding literal morons who can't play an instrument, and just talk in a monotone voice with terrible grammar and anunciation about how much money they have, and about how they think their own shit doesn't stink. All the while, bands who are talented and write amazing music that's very pleasing to listen to get no attention from the mainstream.
IPB Image

Verrückter

Verrückter

Satanic Birthday Boy

• Retired Staff
  • 7,606 posts
  • Interests:Games!
QUOTE (Silverslug @ Jun 11 2007, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This whole topic is Fucking gay, seriously. Saying that people can't like a certian type of music.... thats all this comes down too, so what if Dragon Force can have the best solo of the week, if the person doesn't like the way it SOUNDS it doesn't mean shit in the end.

Alot of you guys don't give a fuck about other peoples taste in music and are confined to your own little section, you guys are no better then 'them'.

Did you even read his post?

I don't think you realise you guys are getting crooked. It's like someone is selling you a drawing made by an 8 years old kid and tells you it's a Renoir. You buy their music just because it's there. You listen to it just because it's "cool".

You obviously have idea of what music is. Music is about expressing yourself. Lyrics like "This is why I'm hot, this is why this is why..." don't make no fucking sense at all, and don't express anything. They're just complete filler to an already crappy, over simple, over catchy/annoying noise (some people call that music). I'll admit some bands I like have filler lyrics (like Children of Bodom) but their impaired musicianship, talent and devotion to their music completely overshadows that.
"Something tremendously powerful was lost when composers moved away from tonal harmony and regular pulses... Among other things the audience was lost" -John Adams

VulgaritySocks

VulgaritySocks

Second only to DougHChrist! | Wisest Poster 08

• Members
  • 4,423 posts
  • xfire:h00nestr00b
  • Interests:Defenestration, interpretive dance...<br />Dreadlocks?<br /><br />This is stupid.
Mannnnnnnnnn notice how its always the people with a shitty taste in music who think they've got something to prove?

... I mean... did I say that out loud?
I'll say it once more, and I know it sounds conceited, but a person with no prior backing in musical theory gets no respect from me in terms of their musical taste. I don't want to hear uninformed opinions about anything else, so why the fuck would I suddenly care when it comes to music? If you people thought about it, you'd probably agree in your heart of hearts... it’s like a car salesman who know nothing about cars going "Oh yeah this car looks shiny!"
Until you can understand the inner workings, you're judging on the surface of the music. There's no fucking way around that. And that's all music is now. Just a polished surface with no fucking substance. Its bullshit, its terrible, and the few bands with depth get so buried in the music industry's bullshit that they never see the light of day. And don't give me any "OH BUT I ENJOY DANCING TO IT LLOLOLOL". Fuck that. Fuck you. I don't give a shit if its fun to dance to. A driving beat can be made by anyone with a pulse and ten fingers. See Garageband. Fuck Timberland. Fuck "fitty". It’s all going down, and thank God.
Interesting fact: A dude named Liszt once wrote music not for music's sake, not for "catchiness", but to prove that no one in his day and age could ever play it. And he wrote some of the most incredible music ever written. Until recently no one has been able to even play it... but now, in a transition that could have resulted in the current dwindling in the music industry, musical technicality and performance have taken precedence over composition. Where it will all go is yet to be seen… but right now nowhere good. We’re simply relying on the same shit over and over.

Angry. The end.

EDIT: Christ there's something wrong with me. Sorry for sounding like such an asshole in this post. Sometimes this shit just needs to come out of me I suppose... I still think you're all neat!

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,927 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Silverslug @ Jun 11 2007, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ya, pretty much

like I was saying, just because the band is all over the radio and "mainstreem" doesn't make it a bad band.

Contrallion

Contrallion
  • Members
  • 1,778 posts
QUOTE (Dohreguard @ Jun 11 2007, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ya, pretty much

like I was saying, just because the band is all over the radio and "mainstreem" doesn't make it a bad band.

No shit dude - that's not what this topic is talking about. Read the OP next time.

happyhour

happyhour
  • Members
  • 185 posts
QUOTE (Verrückter @ Jun 11 2007, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think you realise you guys are getting crooked. It's like someone is selling you a drawing made by an 8 years old kid and tells you it's a Renoir. You buy their music just because it's there. You listen to it just because it's "cool".

You obviously have idea of what music is. Music is about expressing yourself. Lyrics like "This is why I'm hot, this is why this is why..." don't make no fucking sense at all, and don't express anything. They're just complete filler to an already crappy, over simple, over catchy/annoying noise (some people call that music). I'll admit some bands I like have filler lyrics (like Children of Bodom) but their impaired musicianship, talent and devotion to their music completely overshadows that.

i dont listen to hip hop just cause its "cool". in fact very few of my friends share my tastes. i just stumbled upon a few Nas tracks when i was young and began to appreciate the relaxing beat and rhymes.

i agree that highly skilled musicians dont get the credit they deserve nowadays, but i also dont think people should limit theyre musical preferences according to whats mainstream and whats not. "oh, shit, <insert band here> went ,mainstream, i cant listen to them now."

Silverslug

Silverslug

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts

yes

You don't even know what music I liked and i Never said I loved Mainstream music, all I said is everyone should be able to listen to the music they choose without being citizied, instead of bitching and moaning, why don't you guys suggest groups that no one has heard about according to there 'mainstream taste' like, The killers = The cure or Half Japanese. All I see here is us vs them, its just stupid.

Thats your opinion, you should possibly listen to other artist instead of saying one artist is just like everyone else, Yes I do hate that song too .

Why does everyone assume that I like mainstream music and defended it? I was just saying that people should be able to listen to whatever they want. Trust me I used to get hell in school for listening to artists that weren't mainstream rap. Thats fine for me but this is no better tbh.

TBh, do you really want the same people that listen them to listen to your type of music.... really?

Sikotik

Sikotik
  • Banned
  • 6,181 posts
  • Interests:Music. Producing/Remixing/DJing/Creating/Listening To and Absorbing it in it's entirety.
QUOTE (happyhour @ Jun 12 2007, 05:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i dont listen to hip hop just cause its "cool". in fact very few of my friends share my tastes. i just stumbled upon a few Nas tracks when i was young and began to appreciate the relaxing beat and rhymes.

Triphop man. Hip Hop beats + musical talent. Check it out.

Also, Public Enemy is a great rap group. See, they have a message. They have beliefs. They don't always rap about how much ass they get and how shiny the rims on their cars are. This is what separates good rap from bad rap. Public Enemy was popular in the 90s. They aren't now. You know why? People don't like to think when they listen to rap. They'd rather bounce to the same beat over and over while some guy talks about a girl sucking his dick. This is why people hate rap.

Anyway, rap aside, people need to chill out. We aren't saying people can't listen to mainstream music. We're merely saying that it doesn't have the talent it used to, and those talented musicians who enjoy making music for the sake of music are pushed aside and thus there are less of them. Talented musicians are a dying breed - most need to get a second job just to get by.
His name is Robert Paulson.
I get banned with a little help from my friends
QUOTE (Gillz @ Jan 26 2008, 06:29 PM) View Post
Last time I checked, you didn't have the right to tell me what to do?

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts

This is not what I'm saying. I'm NOT saying all mainstream music is bad. I'm saying the mainstream is filled with bad music.
For example, the Foo Fighters are very mainstream, and I enjoy listening to them from time to time. Rush is mainstream (or at least was).
It's just that 90% of the mainstream is filled with crap, and people are buying it.

QUOTE (happyhour @ Jun 12 2007, 06:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree that highly skilled musicians dont get the credit they deserve nowadays, but i also dont think people should limit theyre musical preferences according to whats mainstream and whats not. "oh, shit, <insert band here> went ,mainstream, i cant listen to them now."

Again, not saying mainstream=bad. I'm saying there are a lot of shitty acts in the mainstream while there are a ton of amazing bands who will never get attention.

I think I need to clarify at this point.
I'm not saying mainstream = automatically bad, I'm saying there's a lot of shit in the mainstream, while good music isn't recognized.
IPB Image

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,927 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Contrallion @ Jun 12 2007, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No shit dude - that's not what this topic is talking about. Read the OP next time.

i was just agreeing with the guy i quoted, sorry for liking what someone has to say? and ya, i did read the OP, and posted in response to it, maybe you should read down?

Verrückter

Verrückter

Satanic Birthday Boy

• Retired Staff
  • 7,606 posts
QUOTE (Silverslug @ Jun 12 2007, 05:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't even know what music I liked and i Never said I loved Mainstream music, all I said is everyone should be able to listen to the music they choose without being citizied, instead of bitching and moaning, why don't you guys suggest groups that no one has heard about according to there 'mainstream taste' like, The killers = The cure or Half Japanese. All I see here is us vs them, its just stupid.

Like if proposing music would change anything.

Thats your opinion, you should possibly listen to other artist instead of saying one artist is just like everyone else, Yes I do hate that song too .

I get those songs blasted in my ears all day long. I beleive I have enough musical abilities to compare the effort put in one song compared to another. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Why does everyone assume that I like mainstream music and defended it? I was just saying that people should be able to listen to whatever they want. Trust me I used to get hell in school for listening to artists that weren't mainstream rap. Thats fine for me but this is no better tbh.

Because the only reason I would see someone not agreeing with this is that he listens to the mainstream crap. I think it's all black and white, there's no grey zone where you can say both a skilled artist and an unskilled artist have talent.

TBh, do you really want the same people that listen them to listen to your type of music.... really?

Actually, if everyone listened to music with the same amount of musical talent, everyone would have a better understanding of music.

In the past year I've been listening to a lot more of complex music, more saturated in terms of layers of instruments and melodies, and I've noticed how much my musical ear has developped... It's really quite different than from, say, a year ago. I can catch more details and separate the instruments in different layers just by listening to the music, something which I wasen't able to do before. Basically, listening to complex music will develop your ear.
"Something tremendously powerful was lost when composers moved away from tonal harmony and regular pulses... Among other things the audience was lost" -John Adams

Juttman

Juttman
  • Members
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Flash animation/ PP/ gaming
I agree with Verruckter. A year ago, I knew nothing about music except what a C chord was. Lately, I have been listening to more complex and diverse music, jazz, electronic, new wave, and my knowledge has vastly increased.

What are some artists you listen to, Verruckter?

Verrückter

Verrückter

Satanic Birthday Boy

• Retired Staff
  • 7,606 posts
QUOTE (Juttman @ Jun 12 2007, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with Verruckter. A year ago, I knew nothing about music except what a C chord was. Lately, I have been listening to more complex and diverse music, jazz, electronic, new wave, and my knowledge has vastly increased.

What are some artists you listen to, Verruckter?

I'd love to tell you I listen to Jazz, classic blue, classical music and stuff like that, but honestly, it's only metal. But metal mixed with lots of different other genres like classical and even some jazz and world music (prog has a lot of that).

Bands like Blind Guardian, Axamenta and Dream Theater really smash the boundaries of catchy music to make a complex music that's very hard to appreciate on the first listen. Most of the time you have to listen to the songs quite a few times before even getting used to them.

Another trick to develop your musical ear is to tab songs. It helps so much.

But now, back to the subject...

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
In the past year I've been listening to a lot more of complex music, more saturated in terms of layers of instruments and melodies, and I've noticed how much my musical ear has developped... It's really quite different than from, say, a year ago. I can catch more details and separate the instruments in different layers just by listening to the music, something which I wasen't able to do before. Basically, listening to complex music will develop your ear.

There is so much truth to this.
I also find it helps musicians get much better much more quickly.
For example, before I started listening to prog rock and metal, I could hardly play more than a basic 4/4 beat, and thought I was hot shit. Trying to play songs by bands like Dream Theater or Rush, whether I'm able to or not, has helped me improve far beyond what I ever thought I'd be able to do.
IPB Image

Silverslug

Silverslug

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
Verrückter, Jazz didn't have the most complex lyrics when they had them, didn't you use lyrics as a example? Scat-singing must be the most untalented thing to ever come to music, in your point of view.

Verrückter, what are some of these 'unskilled artist' that you talk about hating so much?

I'm just wondering thats all.

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
QUOTE (Silverslug @ Jun 14 2007, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Verrückter, Jazz didn't have the most complex lyrics when they had them, didn't you use lyrics as a example? Scat-singing must be the most untalented thing to ever come to music, in your point of view.

I really don't think it was the lyrics in Jazz he was refering to, but rather the instrument playing. Also, jazz singing definitely isn't just scatting.

Also, it has been brought to my attention that Dream Theater's latest album, Systematic Chaos, has debuted at #19 on the Billboard 200. This is without any mainstream radio play, or really any media attention whatsoever, aside from releasing a video on youtube.
To put it in perspective, their last album peaked at #36, and the album before that peaked in the 50s. It is indeed a proud day.
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/discography...9&pid=14435
IPB Image

Silverslug

Silverslug

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
I know Jazz isn't all Scat-singing, I was using that as a example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users