Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Official Photography Thread.

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
1092 replies to this topic

denwO

denwO

Tetris n00b

• Retired Staff
  • 1,964 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:8
QUOTE (GrimMasterShadowFlash @ Jun 7 2011, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well vignetting isn't a problem on my camera, because it's a crop-frame body. If you have a full-frame camera, yeah I'd imagine it'd be pretty profound.

Aside from that...

Love this camera. It's been my workhorse ever since I got it & it hasn't let me down... although lately it's been slipping. Dials stop working suddenly... batteries are shorting out. I think it's time to save up & buy another body... I'm thinking a 50D. I like the body style, which is almost identical to the 40D (hence why I like it so much), and I don't have enough for a full-frame body yet, and the 50D is just under the price that would be expensive, so that's why I'm considering it.

Sadly, I think the good ol' 40D will be put on reserve soon.

In other news, I've been looking at a lot of flash units recently. I was thinking I would get a Canon 580 EXII as my main flash, then use some cheaper SB800's for the secondary units if needed. What say you guys?

I have a 580EX II and it's a mighty flash. I can't comment on using Nikon flashes with Canons personally, but I can vouch for the 580EX II and 430EX II combo icon_smile.gif

Would you not be able to go for a 60D? It has a few appealing features over the 50D... You can fire speedlites remotely for example! And take video if that's of ant interest to you.

Troy :(

Skul1Candy

Skul1Candy
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Skul1Candy
I like the photos from Grimmastershadowflash guy of the guy with the cam,
and i think photos of cars are boring tbh icon_razz.gif.
unless there is something particularily interesting or vintage about the car. otherwise, is it really anything but an advert?
(p.s.also quite a fan of nevermores colourful pic on p.50)
kthnx

You remind me of GAY

GrimMasterShadowFlash

GrimMasterShadowFlash
  • Members
  • 732 posts
  • xfire:mikemayhem1234
QUOTE (denwO @ Jun 13 2011, 05:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a 580EX II and it's a mighty flash. I can't comment on using Nikon flashes with Canons personally, but I can vouch for the 580EX II and 430EX II combo icon_smile.gif

Would you not be able to go for a 60D? It has a few appealing features over the 50D... You can fire speedlites remotely for example! And take video if that's of ant interest to you.

Thanks for the advice man! I'll do that for sure.

And idk, the 60D is a disappointment.. it's not even made of metal anymore, which is extremely cheap to me. and I've hard many bad things about the swivel on the door of it. Although, wireless flash tirggering & video is a nice feature...
RX-7's fo' life yo.

denwO

denwO

Tetris n00b

• Retired Staff
  • 1,964 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:8
QUOTE (GrimMasterShadowFlash @ Jun 14 2011, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the advice man! I'll do that for sure.

And idk, the 60D is a disappointment.. it's not even made of metal anymore, which is extremely cheap to me. and I've hard many bad things about the swivel on the door of it. Although, wireless flash tirggering & video is a nice feature...

Not metal?! zomg! I didn't know that.. what a load of shit. In any case, I think I'd still consider it myself, what with the flash trigger...

7D? icon_wink.gif

Troy :(

GrimMasterShadowFlash

GrimMasterShadowFlash
  • Members
  • 732 posts
QUOTE (denwO @ Jun 14 2011, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not metal?! zomg! I didn't know that.. what a load of shit. In any case, I think I'd still consider it myself, what with the flash trigger...

7D? icon_wink.gif

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I gotta save up some serious cash. cause I need a car, and a good camera body.

'The body is made of a mixture of ABS resin, polycarbonate resin, and polycarbonate resin with a special conductive fiber, presumably for EMI (electromagnetic interference) shielding. The frame is aluminum and polycarbonate enhanced with glass fiber.' Versus the solid magnesium-alloy that it used to be made out of internally. I've felt it & it's substantially lighter & feels cheaper... canon really let me down with this one.

Today is an epic thunderstorm day. want proof?

This is just the beginning according to the weather models for today. So hopefully there will be more to come. Stay tuned. Btw, it's about 6am now. I've been up since 4am weathering that storm to get that one shot ._. hopefully the next one won't be so hard to capture.

Shot this today at 'sunrise' near the local pier at the beach.

Edited by GrimMasterShadowFlash, 18 June 2011 - 12:34 AM.

RX-7's fo' life yo.

Starskream

Starskream
  • Members
  • 71 posts
Hey guys, i just bought this D80 with parts off ebay. I think i got it for a good price considering all the extras hes putting in with it. But i now just need a lens and was hoping someone could help me out. It will have to be like... a lens for shooting everything haha... i take nature pics, animals etc and extreme sports, but will also be taking modelling pictures probably for my course.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...T#ht_500wt_1156

As well as the excellent camera, you also get the following:

3 x Sandisk 2GB SD Memory Cards
Original Box, manual, CD's, Leads etc.
Battery and Battery Charger
Neck Strap
Nikon Wireless Shutter Release
USB SD Card Reader

GrimMasterShadowFlash

GrimMasterShadowFlash
  • Members
  • 732 posts
QUOTE (Starskream @ Jun 19 2011, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys, i just bought this D80 with parts off ebay. I think i got it for a good price considering all the extras hes putting in with it. But i now just need a lens and was hoping someone could help me out. It will have to be like... a lens for shooting everything haha... i take nature pics, animals etc and extreme sports, but will also be taking modelling pictures probably for my course.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...T#ht_500wt_1156

As well as the excellent camera, you also get the following:

3 x Sandisk 2GB SD Memory Cards
Original Box, manual, CD's, Leads etc.
Battery and Battery Charger
Neck Strap
Nikon Wireless Shutter Release
USB SD Card Reader

Buy prime lenses. Stay away from zoom lenses as much as you can. Zoom lenses are good, but you want to learn on primes so you get used to moving around, working with the camera rather than letting the zoom take care of it. Also, primes are generally cheaper & simpler in their nature. Also, generally they are shaper than zoom lenses. I'd go for a 20mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm, 200mm primes.

Also, that's an awesome deal man. D80's aren't bad.

Edited by GrimMasterShadowFlash, 19 June 2011 - 05:30 PM.

RX-7's fo' life yo.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,927 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (GrimMasterShadowFlash @ Jun 19 2011, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Buy prime lenses. Stay away from zoom lenses as much as you can. Zoom lenses are good, but you want to learn on primes so you get used to moving around, working with the camera rather than letting the zoom take care of it. Also, primes are generally cheaper & simpler in their nature. Also, generally they are shaper than zoom lenses. I'd go for a 20mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm, 200mm primes.

Also, that's an awesome deal man. D80's aren't bad.

well put icon_razz.gif

took this the other night, I dunno if I want to try and brighten it or not. The ISO was at 800, which sucks cuz I fired the flash so it was pointless. :/

Edited by Dohregard, 24 June 2011 - 12:43 PM.

GrimMasterShadowFlash

GrimMasterShadowFlash
  • Members
  • 732 posts
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Jun 23 2011, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well put icon_razz.gif

took this the other night, I dunno if I want to try and brighten it or not. The appeture was at 800, which sucks cuz I fired the flash so it was pointless. :/

The aperture was at 800? Check your terminology there bro lol.
RX-7's fo' life yo.

Starskream

Starskream
  • Members
  • 71 posts
guys my d80 just arrived, i want to know if this is a good lens choice to buy
http://www.amazon.co...m...6050&sr=8-7

I'm too scared of getting a prime at the moment as i'm just starting and fear it will limit me, like if i see a tall building with a nice detail i want to capture or get a shot from far away i won't be able to do it. But if i'm wrong then i'm open to other suggestions

GrimMasterShadowFlash

GrimMasterShadowFlash
  • Members
  • 732 posts
QUOTE (Starskream @ Jun 24 2011, 04:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm too scared of getting a prime at the moment as i'm just starting and fear it will limit me, like if i see a tall building with a nice detail i want to capture or get a shot from far away i won't be able to do it. But if i'm wrong then i'm open to other suggestions

Well, about 99.9% of people start off on a kit lens. Unless they are told otherwise before they even buy a camera. Go ahead, buy a zoom lens. There's nothing wrong with them, in fact they're kinda useful sometimes. But when it comes to quality, sharpness, and price, prime lenses will beat those zooms almost every single time, ESPECIALLY with Nikon lenses.
RX-7's fo' life yo.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,927 posts
QUOTE (GrimMasterShadowFlash @ Jun 23 2011, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The aperture was at 800? Check your terminology there bro lol.

was tired icon_sad.gif

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
QUOTE (Starskream @ Jun 24 2011, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Start of with a second-hand zoom man, buying a new kit lens is a waste of money since a lot of people try to get rid of theirs pretty quickly as well. It doesn't really matter which as long as it's decent. Like, not a tamron 18-250, but a 17-50 F2.8 is kinda overdoing it as well.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Starskream

Starskream
  • Members
  • 71 posts
what about
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...#ht_2575wt_1396

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...#ht_1369wt_1396

Edited by Starskream, 25 June 2011 - 07:49 AM.

GrimMasterShadowFlash

GrimMasterShadowFlash
  • Members
  • 732 posts
QUOTE (Starskream @ Jun 25 2011, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, No, YES.
RX-7's fo' life yo.

Starskream

Starskream
  • Members
  • 71 posts
QUOTE (GrimMasterShadowFlash @ Jun 25 2011, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, No, YES.

This is so annoying i forgot how bad i was at choosing. I'm gonna get this
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...#ht_5156wt_1163
and i might get that 28 soon after

will that 28 even fit my d80?

GrimMasterShadowFlash

GrimMasterShadowFlash
  • Members
  • 732 posts
So... my remote is now broken, due to somebody trying to snatch it out of place... and my 40D won't turn on even with fully charged batteries. Fuck. my. life. and I found this all out while 55 miles away, chasing a thunderstorm. No shooting for me.
RX-7's fo' life yo.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,927 posts
QUOTE (GrimMasterShadowFlash @ Jun 25 2011, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So... my remote is now broken, due to somebody trying to snatch it out of place... and my 40D won't turn on even with fully charged batteries. Fuck. my. life. and I found this all out while 55 miles away, chasing a thunderstorm. No shooting for me.

icon_sad.gif

GrimMasterShadowFlash

GrimMasterShadowFlash
  • Members
  • 732 posts
Although my 40D is out of commission, I got my hands on a XSi... and had a clear night, with no moon, no clouds, and the milky way visible. This was the result.

EDIT: THE 40D LIVES!!!! I will take it back out to the place I was to shoot the milky way very soon. Then I'm renting some more expensive, full-frame cameras to shoot it at a later time.

Edited by GrimMasterShadowFlash, 28 June 2011 - 12:24 AM.

RX-7's fo' life yo.

Starskream

Starskream
  • Members
  • 71 posts
Got any tips for night time action shots? or just in general? I went out last night and took some skate pics just as it was getting darker but they were coming out wayyy blurry. It's my first slr so all the different settings are a bit overwhelming at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users