Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Official Photography Thread.

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
1092 replies to this topic

Rotaermel

Rotaermel
  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Pwn n00bs @ CSS n stuff... givin h3adsh0ts n stuff, u know..<br />----(X.x)---><br />B0o0o0oM H3adsh0t!
Here are some of my car pix hostet on flickr.com..

.._...____________________, ,
.../ `---___________----_____|] >>BOOM>>HEADSHOT!
.../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
...), ---.(_(__) /
...// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//

denwO

denwO

Tetris n00b

• Retired Staff
  • 1,964 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:8
Ok so maybe this is a good place to hear people's opinions on what DSLR I should get. Any pointers would be appreciated.

I currently have a P&S camera, and with that I've managed to take some photos that I'm quite proud of, but now I want something that I can have a bit more artistic control over.. Let me try and give you a better idea of what my DSLR would need to be like:
  • I tend to travel abroad at least once a year, so I don't want anything huge or needlessly heavy - the D40 seems like a nice size
  • I shoot quite a few landscapes and night shots, so the D40's lowest ISO of 200 concerned me (should it?)
  • I'm likely to need two lenses (a standard-range zoom and a longer telephoto), but I like to idea of adding lenses in the future - this seems like an argument against Nikon's motorised lenses: more expensive?
  • Overall, I'd like to make photography have 'more point' than just snapping away on my Kodak Easyshare with its dead pixel at 1682,1830. I like the idea of shooting for a stock service like iStockphoto too, since I think it would give my hobby a purpose and would help me improve. Right now my camera just can't produce pictures of high enough quality. I want a DSLR without features that are unnecessary to produce a good, well composed picture - I'm sure the more experienced photographers among you will know what features are really nothing more than additions to beat the previous model, or things only pro users will appreciate.
One thing everyone seems to agree on is that Canon and Nikon are the two big players. Which is better is probably a matter of opinion rather than fact, but I'm open to either brand. Whichever suits my requirements better wins tbh.

Other than the above, budget is a big factor. I'm looking to spend around the 400 mark for a single lens camera kit. Not much in the DSLR world I know, but perhaps this is why Nikon's 'everyone's camera' would be good for me.. They also have a 60 cash-back offer for the D40 and D40X util the end of August, but I'm not sure whether that will be irrelevant in a few months anyway, when prices will no doubt drop naturally. That's my last point, too, that I don't mind waiting until Christmas if it means I'll get a better deal!

Any thoughts?

-den icon_cool.gif

Troy :(

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
If I was you and on a budget I would try and pick up a Nikon D70 somewhere cheap, import from Hong Kong?

As far as I know ever since the D80 has come out the D70 has dropped in price alot. But I am only going on what I have been told and I cant be bothered researching right now (3am)

There is no sense cheaping out now when buying the camera and having to deal with any problems that may arise later, not saying the D40/D50 is a bad camera, but if you can get a D70 cheap, or a refurbished model then thats what I would do.

Im not sure about prices on everything but the choices that alot of my friends have are between the Canon 350D/400D or the Nikon D70/D80, I am not too sure on the cheaper models..

A Canon 350D with the fantastic plastic 50mm f/1.8 would be nice.. well whatever DSLR you get the first lense you will end up buying should be the 50mm f/1.8 regardless of if you go Canon or Nikon. Its a good compact all round sharp lense and its cheap as fuck.

QUOTE (Syntra @ Aug 3 2007, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I'm talking what there geared tword, your taking it to a whole different level.

Again, if you look at there Ads, Nikon is "Everyone's Camera", and Canon is "The Camera of the Pro's"

Even though tbh, Am's taking Good Meaningful Pictures > Pro's taking Sports pictures for loads of cash.

Who cares who they target their ads towards, it doesnt mean one companies cameras are better than the others because they target different audiences.

It all comes down to how the consumer sees the camera, how they see the results when using the camera. I know I made my choice between Canon and Nikon based on holding the camera and feeling how comfortable it was in my hand, the fact that the Nikon had the extra LCD on the top with information and the hold a button and spin a dial system of changing settings. When I used a 400D I had to dive in hundreds of menus to change settings.

I just get real agro when people start arguing about one camera manufacturer being better than another, it happens on every photo forum i read. Think less of which brand is better and which whatever does what, think of how the camera applies to your needs and your budget, comfort is another big thing for me.

I need to go to sleep.

Smiler

Smiler
  • Members
  • 382 posts
  • xfire:smilerdave
denwo get into a camera shop and haev a feel of some of the cameras, and usually the staff are helpfull aswell

Syntra

Syntra
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts
  • xfire:MSN
  • Steam ID:SyntraIsCool
  • Xbox / GFWL:None
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:Noplayonline
QUOTE (Guitar_clock @ Aug 3 2007, 02:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's all about Luxury EF lenses, baby.

IS > L > USM.

In my opinion.

But Denw0, check your pm's, foo.

Again, I advise against the D40 or D40x. But thats just cause I like Older camera lenses. The D50 is fine though.

On the Canon Side, I've only ever used the Original Digital Rebel (Cause thats my camera, lol), The 30D (friends), and the 20D (friends).

But you should also look at Pentax and Olympus. They both make fine cameras.

Just uh, I would advise against a Sony. Mostly cause Sony is just like "Lenses? What the hell are those?". As in, there are only like 2 lenses, lol.

Oh and Nevermore, Are you fucking sure? Because on my Rebel its just Switch to a mode on the Dial, then Turn the Click wheel to set a lot of stuff, or Hold a button and turn the Click wheel.

I dunno, maybe Canon went gay with it. Thats why my Next Camera is probably gonna be a 20D.
Weiman took my virginity.
Currently playing: Fallout 3 - Fifa 09 - The Orange Box

Smiler

Smiler
  • Members
  • 382 posts
  • xfire:smilerdave
sony is minolta ,sort of, so there are lots of lenses

denwO

denwO

Tetris n00b

• Retired Staff
  • 1,964 posts
Thanks for the info everyone icon_smile.gif
Here are some snaps from the last few months:

1. Drum kit with arty farty lighting

2. Programming lighting for a live gig in Bath, UK

3. Patsy! My Cat!

4. Squirrel in Montreal (sadly destroyed by compression)

5. A friendly wallaby, New South Wales, Australia

6. This napping cat's name is Boots - he belongs to a friend

7. /chicken lol, in a field somewhere, Northern England

8. Swans at Chatsworth House, Derbyshire, UK

-den icon_cool.gif

*SaPpHiRe*

*SaPpHiRe*

teh_momerer

• GA Private
  • 2,336 posts
  • xfire:sapphiretehninja
  • Interests:Twitter: @VeronickArt
  • Gamer Army ID:1532
I really like the lighting setup you did with the drum kit icon_smile.gif It looks pretty.

Also, the swans are nice! I like how you took it from a low angle, so it feels like you're at their level

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
Gonna get these printed tommorrow, figured I would throw them here..

Opinions?

MightyMichelle

MightyMichelle
  • Members
  • 171 posts
  • xfire:mightymichelle
  • Interests:I go to art college.<br />I work at a shoe store.<br />Rise of Nations is good.<br />I like rts.
QUOTE (Syntra @ Aug 1 2007, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
D50>D40. Anyone who disagrees is an idiot. D40 can only AF on EF-S lenses. Even though all Modern Day lenses are EF-S, Older Lenses ftw.

*cracks fingers*

OK lets see here...

Richard:

1. Not bad, but the Whiskers are a bit much, lol. Plus a bit of a distracting background.

2-5: None of them are sharp. No Sharpness = No Goodness.

6: Very Nice. Great Colors, But the Concrete thing is a bit distracting.

MightyMichelle:

1: Colors are good, But you tilted the camera a bit. Fix that and crop out some of the right side and your good. But looks like a million other shots I've seen, tbh.

2. Again, looks like a million other shots I've seen.

3. Nothing special. You took a night shot of nothing interesting. Colors are good though.

4. Nothx. You can see reflection and such off the glass, plus theres a logo down there, Just not a good picture.
Notice:
These are my opinions, feel free to disregard them if you want.

God knows I love critiques. But it bothers me when you say my shots are overdone? So I'm looking at your shots and it's all macro shots of flowers? Hahaha. That's just ridiculous.
Oh my last photo I very much agree that I should take out the bank logo in the bottom. I guess I just haven't gotten around to it. but in my art college my profs went mad about that photo so I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
QUOTE (MightyMichelle @ Aug 7 2007, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
God knows I love critiques. But it bothers me when you say my shots are overdone? So I'm looking at your shots and it's all macro shots of flowers? Hahaha. That's just ridiculous.
Oh my last photo I very much agree that I should take out the bank logo in the bottom. I guess I just haven't gotten around to it. but in my art college my profs went mad about that photo so I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

I was waiting for someone else to bring this up so yeah .. i agree with the first half of this statement

denwO

denwO

Tetris n00b

• Retired Staff
  • 1,964 posts
Since we're on the subject I must say that Syntra's photos are really quite boring imo. I wouldn't normally say such a thing, but it seems that there is no lack of.. um.. confidence with Syntra when it comes to the subject of photography, so I'm sure speaking my mind will do no harm.

-den icon_cool.gif

Syntra

Syntra
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts
I'll admit that they are boring, but only cause I can't fucking get out there and do what I want.

I love Landscape shots, and want to take them exclusively, but I have to work with whats around me, which is mostly flowers and Animals and such. Once I can drive, I promise you I'll be pumping out Landscape images like fucking daily.

I'm just getting as much practice as possible, you know?

MightyMichelle

MightyMichelle
  • Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:I go to art college.<br />I work at a shoe store.<br />Rise of Nations is good.<br />I like rts.
There's a whole world around you!
There's people, activites, landscapes of the city
And I'm sure there's a river stream or lake around you.
Which make great landscapes. Well...waterscapes actually.

But practise is still good. =)

Syntra

Syntra
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts
Yeah, you obviously don't know where I live.

But seriously, you went to Poland and turned up that? And you live in the most Picturesque country in the world and you've got that?

MightyMichelle

MightyMichelle
  • Members
  • 171 posts
HAHA
I'm sorry but Prague is in Czech Republic, not Poland. =P

I've got a zillion shots. But I find my two Calgary shots to be the most... unique?

Yes landscape photos are beautiful. But I don't feel that it's very creative with the type of camera I have (pentax optio50). I don't feel as if I can do much with it I guess. I do have landscapes. Buut I don't feel any... 'pazazz' in them.
Art is indeed what the viewer sees and feels. Not necissarily only the object. It may do something for me but not you.

I think you have just motivated me to get off my ass and try harder though. Haha.

Syntra

Syntra
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts
Ahh Poland, Czech Republic. Whats the difference? Lol.

But seriously no offense, but I don't like your second Calgary picture at all. I mean the window glow and the bank logo and such. I mean its a good subject, just crop it and go outside, lol.

Also, I never said just Landscape shots. I never specified what type of shot at all. I'm just saying, your in a foreign land (unless you like grew up there or something), take some foreign pictures!

But with Canada I was kinda obviously specifying landscapes. But Canada has more than just landscapes, I mean they've got Architecture, Cityscapes, The Northern Lights (Yeah, a bit far for you, lol), People, Wildlife, etc.

But thats kinda what this thread is for. Showing off Photography and helping others get better. Maybe. So I accomplished something! Yay!

MightyMichelle

MightyMichelle
  • Members
  • 171 posts
Perhaps I could foward you to my deviantart? =D

I has a big variety a things. But I just don't think it's that radical so haha whatever.

MightyMichelle's DeviantArt

MightyMichelle

MightyMichelle
  • Members
  • 171 posts
Denw0, I really enjoy your swan photo actually.

I keep finding myself looking at it.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
Syntra no offence but you have done nothing but sound like a giant douchebag and then make excuses as to why you have no more interesting photos..

I live in an incredibly boring town but I still manage to get interesting photos. Sure I dont have fun taking photos of sunsets and other assorted water horizons but its all ive got around here so I make the most of it.

There is never a boring place. Im sure there is somewhere close to you that is interesting or that you can make interesting..

In other news, I worked mad over time today so im going out to buy an SB-600 flash and a polarising filter if the shop has one in stock tommorrow. I guess ill post some pics I take with my new loot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users