Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fallout 3 , lets discuss !

• Please log in to reply
661 replies to this topic

dewoo

dewoo
  • Members
  • 710 posts
<a href="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/" target="_blank">http://fallout.bethsoft.com/</a>
Now that made me giggle like a little girl. The guy in the power armor looked really nice.
but the most important part: the realeas date of 2008 in the fall!

btw it is the game engine but its not shown in real time.
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, I hurt people.

m3ds

m3ds
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,482 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:2994
I'm waiting until my HD version is downloaded before I watch it. I'll be back here once it's done.

Ak-Sniper

Ak-Sniper
  • Members
  • 977 posts
  • xfire:aksnip3r
To short imo but I guesse a teaser is a teaser.

m3ds

m3ds
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,482 posts
So far they've certainly kept with tradition. Jazz music, broken cities, Ron Perlman's saying one of the greatest phrases in video games. The trailer looked amazing and I guess this will give me an incentive to upgrade my PC. Guess just another year and a half.

Hopefully Bethesda will be kind and release a screenshot or two. I'm sure they won't but it's a nice thought.

Brokenshieldz

Brokenshieldz
  • Members
  • 446 posts
There better be gore just like in the prequels or combat will just look funny.

m3ds

m3ds
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,482 posts
That's one of the things that is necessary to make Fallout 3 a true Fallout sequel. That, humor, good dialogue, and atmosphere are my top priorities for Fallout 3.

Pantsman

Pantsman
  • GA Sergeant
  • 892 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:136
They still haven't shown off any gameplay so it could still come out as Oblivion with guns, but if this trailer's any indication, they've got the atmosphere of the game perfect.

I admit I began to geek out when I heard Ron Perlman deliver his classic line. It's great to see that they have him back.

Also, I noticed that the oldies song they play was "I Don't Want to set the World on Fire". This is actually the song that the original game's makers wanted in the opening cutscene of Fallout 1, but due to some copyright issues they had to go with "Maybe" instead. Bethesda has at least shown in doing this that they do care about the series. I'm filled with renewed hope for this game.

Kiron

Kiron
  • Members
  • 2,442 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Gaming, Wii, filmmaking.
  • Wii:6447428556230302
QUOTE (Pantsman @ Jun 6 2007, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They still haven't shown off any gameplay so it could still come out as Oblivion with guns

Oblivion with Guns is a bad thing?, apart from Oblivion being the buggiest game on earth, it's still professor plum, that's a clue refrence too purple, which is a WoW refrence too epic icon_wink.gif

Anyway, if it is Oblivion with guns, they better actually implement Co-op in it, I mean goddamn, it's been like a year and there is still no (MultiTES is broken as shit) Co-op mod for oblivion ><

Shadowstar

Shadowstar
  • GA Private
  • 5,853 posts
  • Interests:My companion cube and cake
  • Xbox / GFWL:AznInvasion22
  • Gamer Army ID:297
It has finally come out and I'm very satisfied. I have been waiting for a couple weeks for this, and I thought I might be let down. This trailer has proved me wrong. I'm glad that they said a release date at least, but now I want more. Now we have to do the waiting game.

dewoo

dewoo
  • Members
  • 710 posts

BoS ftw! i can't say where i have seen thoes stone girls but i think it is on that oil tanker in FO2..
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, I hurt people.

lolcrica90

lolcrica90
  • Members
  • 2,033 posts
  • Interests:plays guitar.
Dammit, the trailer requires Quicktime pp_smiley10.gif, which I'm to lazy to even bother installing. I'll just watch it on Gamespy.

h3r1n6

h3r1n6

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• Global Moderators
  • 1,770 posts
  • xfire:h3r1n6
  • Interests:Gaming<br />Sports
  • Steam ID:h3r1n6
QUOTE (Kiron @ Jun 5 2007, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oblivion with Guns is a bad thing?, apart from Oblivion being the buggiest game on earth, it's still professor plum, that's a clue refrence too purple, which is a WoW refrence too epic icon_wink.gif

Anyway, if it is Oblivion with guns, they better actually implement Co-op in it, I mean goddamn, it's been like a year and there is still no (MultiTES is broken as shit) Co-op mod for oblivion ><

Yes

If Fallout would be a hack&slay game with that awful dynamic leveling system, it would suck.

I want to see Dogmeat and Harold in Fallout 3 icon_smile.gif

m3ds

m3ds
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,482 posts
This isn't directly related to the trailer, but I figured this would be a good spot to post this.

With the trailer arriving today, we felt it would be rather fitting to announce our July cover. We're blowing the lid off of one of the most anticipated returns of a franchise - Fallout 3. We bring you inside Bethesda and give you the first details about this post-apocalyptic open-ended RPG that's hitting the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2008.

I think many of us had predicted that the game would be going to consoles as well as PCs. Part of me had hoped it would stay exclusively to PC but I guess this will give more people an opportunity to try the game.

It also seems like we won't have to wait too long before we get some more info as the July edition of Gameinformer will have a large article in it.

Link to the Cover

Also dewoo, you should change the title of this thread to Fallout 3 discussion, that way we can talk about all things Fallout 3.

Pantsman

Pantsman
  • GA Sergeant
  • 892 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:136
QUOTE (m3ds @ Jun 6 2007, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This isn't directly related to the trailer, but I figured this would be a good spot to post this.
I think many of us had predicted that the game would be going to consoles as well as PCs. Part of me had hoped it would stay exclusively to PC but I guess this will give more people an opportunity to try the game.

It also seems like we won't have to wait too long before we get some more info as the July edition of Gameinformer will have a large article in it.

Link to the Cover

Also dewoo, you should change the title of this thread to Fallout 3 discussion, that way we can talk about all things Fallout 3.

I figured with the console love Bethesda's shown lately, it was a foregone conclusion that it would at least come to the 360. I just hope that doesn't drag the quality down.

I think that the four key aspects of Fallout are the atmosphere, the open-endedness, the deep NPC interaction, and the tactical turn-based combat. I desperately hope that they'll get all of these things right - I'm sure they'll manage open-endedness since they're Bethesda, and judging by the trailer they're doing well on the atmosphere - but I'll allow them to get only one of those core elements wrong. Any more than that, and they'll have lost the sale. It just won't be Fallout.

And yeah, make this the official Fallout 3 thread.

DemomanScotboi

DemomanScotboi

MotM July '07

• Banned
  • 3,063 posts
  • xfire:henx12
  • Interests:Buyin',Sellin',Tradin',Stalkin people to make em buy 'er sell.
  • Gamer Army ID:808
Man....the ink spots really have songs that fit this game so well.I've been listening to ''I dont want to set the world on fire'' for like 30 minutes now. icon_biggrin.gif

after waiting and bitching....it's time to give Bethesda some support.They can do it!

but on another note..i thought that what if bethesda allow the black isle employees who worked on the series to play it first and see what they think about it.cause afterall..they started it,they should see they're successor's working on their project.

Karko

Karko
  • Members
  • 3,034 posts
The precious fallout 3 being released on some filthy console!?!

I DEMAND ANSWERS!!!

I guess a completely different combat system is definate right? Though on console.. icon_neutral.gif

If this ends up with a first person viewpoint the fear of it being morrowind with guns is gonna be justified somewhat icon_confused.gif

Second. Worst. Signature. Ever.
Expecting something witty? Herp derp tiddlerp.

m3ds

m3ds
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,482 posts
QUOTE (Karko @ Jun 7 2007, 04:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The precious fallout 3 being released on some filthy console!?!

I DEMAND ANSWERS!!!

I guess a completely different combat system is definate right? Though on console.. icon_neutral.gif

If this ends up with a first person viewpoint the fear of it being morrowind with guns is gonna be justified somewhat icon_confused.gif

I'm suspecting thirdperson with realtime combat. I don't have any proof, but it's just a hunch, but I think that Tycho from Penny Arcade described Fallout for me better than I ever could.

Fallout is not - for me - defined by its perspective. It's defined by the unique setting, and the meaningful, satisfying choices I can make to affect that setting. I don't care where the camera is. If those things are intact, they can put the camera in geosynchronous Goddamn orbit.

063 Abra

063 Abra
  • Members
  • 3,312 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in learning about religions, mythologies, ancient cultures, and psychology. I also like to play a lot of video games and computer games, mainly Role-Playing Games. I also play a few table top Role-Playing Games like Dungeons and Dragons, Shadow Run, and Vampire: the Masquerade.
I've been waiting for Fallout 3 since I was introduced to 1 and 2, I may need a new computer to play it, but I will play it someday...
Always up for Gen IV Pokemon battling and trading - just shoot me a PM.

m3ds

m3ds
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,482 posts
(In Professor Farnsworth voice) Good news everybody! It looks like Fallout 3 won't be Oblivion with guns!

The long-awaited sequel runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine, although Bethesda says it's reworked the third-person view because of negative feedback from its last role-player.

Fallout 3 kicks off with your birth and your mother's death in a vault hospital. This is where you get to create you character as your father (voiced by Liam Neeson) hands you over to the DNA analyser, before removing his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.

According to Game Informer, the battle system in Fallout 3 is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). You'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real-time using first-person shooting, the article says, but V.A.T.S. lets you pause time and select a target at your leisure.

This works using action points, which when used up will leave you with only real-time fighting until they charge back up again. If you're not in to all-out killing, Bethesda says you'll also be able to play through the game by being stealthy, or even talking your way out of trouble.

Enemies can target you using the exact same targeting system, so you'll get injured in very specifics points on your body. In addition to this is a new health and radiation system, which lets you measure how radiated water and other consumables are before you use them.

Fans will be pleased to hear that the Karma system is making a return, and there are 9-12 possible endings based on your actions. If it's even half as good as Oblivion, this should turn out to be something very special indeed.

- Source

Karma system, the ability to target specific parts of an enemy, talking your way through the game, TURN BASED COMBAT! Thank you whoever was behind these choices. Bethesda, if you make a good Fallout I will love you forever!

*edit: Even better information!

The article is based on an hour long demo GI was given. I'll list the high points

- Game runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine. Third person view has been reworked since the verdict was that the Oblivion version sucked balls.

- Game starts with your birth and your mother's death in a vault hospital. This is essentially the character customization part of the game. Your father hands you up to have your DNA analyzed and you get to pick out all your character traits. Your dad takes off his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.

- You grow up in the vault and as you grow you get your first book titled "You're Special" which allows you to choose you baseline stats for each of your 7 primary aptitudes. You'll also get your first weapons and wrist computer (menu) as you get older and take tests to determine the initial layout of your skills and traits.

- Every aspect of character creation is based on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Of your 14 skills you can tag 3 to grow at a faster rate than the rest as you level up.

- Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. "While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure". Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.

- Game is still violent and gory. One of the featured screens is of a guy's head exploding in super gory detail. Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.

- More than one way to play the game. Go balls out and kill people, or sneak past situations, or perhaps talk your way out of situations.

- Enemies can target you just like you can target them, so you can get injured in very specific points on you body. This in addition to an all new health/radiation system. This new system has you measuring how radiated certain things (like water) are and how they affect you when you consume them.

- Karma system returns

That's pretty much everything big from the article.

- Source

Sounds like the violence will be just as gory as it was in the previous games.

**edit: More info in that thread.

It seems that outside of the VATS system everything is real time. The only time the game pauses is when you enter the VATS system and start using AP and issuing commands. The article doesn't really say much more than that, but they do say that the game is geared more towards a role-playing turn based style as opposed to a twitch gaming style of play.

It doesn't say anything specifically about party members, but there's a section that talks about how integral NPC's are to the game, and that a lot of the progress in the game will be made via quests.

EDIT. A little caption under a screen shot says you'll be able to hire henchmen to help you out but this is definitely not a party based game. Also Bethesda confirms that there'll be a dog in the game.

As a matter of fact they do. The game does not scale like oblivion, so if you enter a high level area expect to be promptly murdered.

Also, I just read a little caption.

Level cap is 20.

Definite ending to the game, but there are 9 - 12 possible endings.

It is XP based. Most of your XP comes from quests.

Source, source, source. and more sources

OMFG! No level scaling! Th.at just made my month. Good show Bethesda, good show.

Karko

Karko
  • Members
  • 3,034 posts
there'll probably be an option to turn off the slow motion death's and yeah.. looks good.

/level cap is bad though.. but then there'll undoubtably be a mod to remove it so again yeah nothing major icon_razz.gif

Second. Worst. Signature. Ever.
Expecting something witty? Herp derp tiddlerp.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users