Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Man saves security guard, video games credited for heroics.

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
  • xfire:drippotaku
  • Steam ID:projecktcain
  • Xbox / GFWL:JReele
  • Gamer Army ID:3410
QUOTE (Fritobag @ Aug 6 2007, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He probably acted on impulse. That means without even thinking he was willing to risk his own existence to save that of another. Very admirable.

/thread, imo

QUOTE (Clarkey @ Nov 17 2008, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the guy and the security guard are over it by now.

Well yeah, of course, but:

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

Dex

Dex
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts
  • Interests:stuff..
  • Steam ID:csterevro
QUOTE (TehArsid @ Nov 16 2008, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
have a speedy recovery adam!

nice job.

yah i think hes pretty much healed by now
mhm...

maniac

maniac
  • Members
  • 29 posts
First off: Mapleson, you pwn.

Second:
I both agree and disagree with you on the head post, Jarett.
Video games might not have anything to do with courage, but they can inspire, and you, personally can inspire people, as an artist, as the pwnerer.
Remember PurePwnage episode 10, when Jeremy read the kid's letter?
For years someone may dream of courage and not have the courage, or perhaps not know how to use it, until one day they watch your show and realize they aren't alone.

Games themselves may be meaningless, but PurePwnage is not, it really left the realm of games quite some time ago, PP is now about something else, an idea.
Jeremy is a geek, but he shows himself in those "when you have no time" moments, as a strong-willed, selfless hero. Despite his awkward nerdiness, he's a confident guy. A character like that inspires.
How many people wear the bandanas and talk the accent, because they see a role model in Jeremy!

Perhaps PurePwnage is sometimes that little tiny nudge that separates an almost hero from a hero, that tiny bit of courage, and rush of adrenaline - that makes you think "why not me, right now?" and step forward, like the pwnerer.
If the show was just about some random loser, hundreds of thousands wouldn't watch it. The show gives gamers reinforcement, positive reassurance, that even a geek, even a gamer, so highly stereotyped against and scolded by society - can pwn and make a difference.

Jeremy helps gamers accept their inner self and figure out the paradoxal opposites. Most of us at some point think "I'm not a hero, I'm just a gamer, I can't do anything in RL, I must conform to my stereotype, an inconfident loser, good for nothing but games." Concept of Jeremy states: "no, even a gamer can be a hero, in fact a higher chance that a gamer will be one."

Your fame, your character is the glue that holds the PP camaraderie together.

In the words of Rich Burlew:
People in general don't like to question their lifestyle. Someone who plays the game but cheats is a pain in the ass, but someone who doesn't bother to play the game at all - make them think and doubt why they are playing in the first place. To be a player, you have to first sit down at the table.

So what I am trying to say is, the entire life, its framework, is a game. In fact, it's what Jeremy is saying and showing the world. A game with better graphics and no respawn. But it doesn't change a thing in the fact that art inspires people, and that pwnage is glorious.

I will never dare say that I know what Adam Mapleson was thinking when he acted so bravely and heroically, what was going through his head, at the moment of that instant decision, but I would not deny the possibility that the show at some point, in some way, could have inspired him or affected his self-image.
With respect,
Konrad 'maniac' Knox

TheSHADOWLINK

TheSHADOWLINK
  • GA Private
  • 1,102 posts
  • Steam ID:awsomesuper
  • Xbox / GFWL:sh4dowl1nk
  • Wii:sh4dowl1nk
  • Gamer Army ID:3880
c-c-c-combo breaker necromancer.. (sorry its combo breaker day on my calender XD)

People in general don't like to question their lifestyle. Someone who plays the game but cheats is a pain in the ass, but someone who doesn't bother to play the game at all - make them think and doubt why they are playing in the first place. To be a player, you have to first sit down at the table.

QTF.. dude games inspire people to do more than the game can provide them. Humans,..

When you play a game, the game has true boundaries, your brain and deceive that and break
that wall thus taking the boudaries out of the equation, you have the upmost control. This statement
goes for IRL because if your like me and obliterates the rules from society, you break the boundary.

Cheats, help you go around the boundary.. they are worthless..
Glitches, help you escape reality and cheat as well.

Play the game of life well.. through the dice and take a shot. You only have one lifetime..

~SHADOWLINK

sh4dowl1nk.jpg  -_-

Treize Kshrnada

Treize Kshrnada
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:treize kshrnada
So, do we even know if Adam made a full recovery, or was there some complication with his recovery and he's no longer with us or what? The man by all rights is a hero that I would love to be able to associate myself with, and meet him, even if he does live on the other side of that great blue wet thing called the Atlantic. Still Adam, you might want to consider taking some Krov Maga classes or something so that next time you can be even more of an 4 \/\/350|\/|3 P\/\/ |\|z0r and maybe even kill/incapacitate the robbers. (I would suggest a concealed carry permit, but you live in England so yeah, that won't work) But I hope his awesomeness is still with us and that we can all aspire to the same moral greatness as this man. Adam may life be good for you always, my prayers follow with you.

Tjharwin

Tjharwin
  • GA Private
  • 509 posts
  • xfire:Tjharwin
  • Interests:Video Games, Music, Piano, Biking, Basketball, Darts, Movies, Anime
  • Steam ID:Tjharwin
  • Wii:1411727041221402
  • Gamer Army ID:3669
  • Company:Gamma
Maybe he played so much Unreal Tournament or something, he thought RL had respawn points. If he did die...I feel sorry for him...'cause he sure as hell aint gonna respawn. At least he stooped the robber from stealing the security guard's flag eh?

Video games give you wings! (Red bull is shit).

#1 Resident Evil Fan

Ineffable

Ineffable

Gimme dat chawklit!

• Global Moderators
  • 7,206 posts
  • PSN:Ineff_
His alive.

-Checkmate-

-Checkmate-
  • Banned
  • 2,236 posts
  • xfire:checkmate1337
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Gamer Army ID:3211
i respect the guy a ton but i am 100 percent sure video games did not play a factor in this guys heroics

Billy floyd

Billy floyd
  • GA Private
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Gameing, Films, pp, falling off shit and stuff
  • PSN:willFLOYD
  • Gamer Army ID:4675
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (Tjharwin @ Dec 27 2008, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe he played so much Unreal Tournament or something, he thought RL had respawn points. If he did die...I feel sorry for him...'cause he sure as hell aint gonna respawn. At least he stooped the robber from stealing the security guard's flag eh?

Dude not cool!

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
QUOTE (Tjharwin @ Dec 27 2008, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-_-

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Uber Mike

Uber Mike
  • GA Private
  • 29 posts
  • xfire:uber1micro1gamer
  • Interests:uhhhmmmmmm...<br />ima gamer! =D
  • Xbox / GFWL:Uber Gamer Mike
  • PSN:i wish -.-
  • Wii:0696884126474076
  • Gamer Army ID:4325
w00t
Wut do yo mean i dnt hav a lief? Ima Gamer... I gots millions! =D