Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Defining moments that have shaped who you are now.

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Snagglepuss

Snagglepuss
  • Banned
  • 1,786 posts
  • xfire:iamamaterialgirl Posts: 23,292
  • Wii:5913099593754175
For myself, it started early:

- My parents were in deep poverty. At one, I was fed on a diet of mainly eggs, potatoes, bread, and honey until a year later. I'm still skinny and have a small stomach.
- Victim of a (attempted) kidnapping at the Eaton Center Mall by an old woman when I was six.
- Having moved 7 times before even going to High School fucked up my social life, and each time I found it more pointless to make new friends. I closed myself off more.
- With interracial parenting, both my parents tried to incorporate some of their beliefs in me. I went to Armenian Catholic School for two years.. I wasn't Catholic and didn't know how to speak Armenian. I had no friends. I went to Sunday school for my dad's religion for four years.. I couldn't speak the language well, had no friends.
- At the age of nine ('98/'99), when my parents bought a computer and internet access. A whole new world began. My social troglodytism only worsened.
- At thirteen when my house was broken into with me in it alone. I became more cynical of people and closed myself off even further.
- At fourteen, experimented with weed and drinking. By sixteen, had gotten into extasy, shrooms, salvia also.
- At seventeen, started recouping and getting my life back on track. So far, it's going decently. There's room for major improvement.

That's about it. Not a terribly bad childhood.. but it's easy to see why I'm me.

How about yourself?

Discuss
but a being of
| Human is nothing | What is Human? | Malice and Misery |

| Human is nothing | What is Human? | Malice and Misery |
but a being of

Lead Enema

Lead Enema
  • GA Private
  • 813 posts
  • Interests:Foreign Languages, Music (classic rock mostly), Art, Girls, Food, Vidia Games, Philosophy, Movies, Television, Poker (Texas Hold'em), Guitar, Reading Books, Naturalism, Horticulture, Entomology, Zoology, Psychology, Physiology, Lucid Dreaming, Martial Arts, Venusian Arts, Anthropology, Mind Expansion, Meditation.
  • Xbox / GFWL:= Pwnage
  • PSN:I feel sorry for it
  • Wii:Better than PS3
  • Gamer Army ID:1881
-At 15 I attended my first rock concert (Derek Trucks band)... It had a major impact on me musically.
-Then heavy experimentation with alcohol began. It continues even to this day, only on a much less extreme level.
-At 15 I had my first experience with cannabis. Experimentation ensued.
-At 16 I first experimented with psychedelic mushrooms. Experimentation ensued.
-At 17 I began to grow my own psychedelic mushrooms for personal consumption only. Much experimentation ensued.
-Playing musical instruments with friends became a major pass time. Jamming while under the influence is always a crowd pleaser, and was very popular amongst my friends and I.
-At 18 I graduated high school, and later that year attended a University.
-Pledged a fraternity. Heavy alcohol abuse ensued.
-Dropped out of college after one year because it wasn't right for me.
-At 19 enrolled at the Academy of Art in San Francisco, and here I am today.
-Experimentation ensues occasionally.

Sikotik

Sikotik
  • Banned
  • 6,181 posts
  • Interests:Music. Producing/Remixing/DJing/Creating/Listening To and Absorbing it in it's entirety.
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
-5, almost drowned. Still hate water.
-11, switched into a Catholic school because I kept getting suspended for fights
-13, Osgood Slotters (butchered the spelling), had to drop out of all sports
-13, started playing guitar, singing
-14, met Liz
-14, started playing bass
-14-16, had life fucked up by Liz
-15, started playing drums
-16, diagnosed with Bipolar + mild Schizophrenia
-17, diagnosed with Seasonal depression + OCD
-17, started playing piano/synth
-17, met Dani
-18, graduating in about a month, then going on to college for sound engineering.
His name is Robert Paulson.
I get banned with a little help from my friends
QUOTE (Gillz @ Jan 26 2008, 06:29 PM) View Post
Last time I checked, you didn't have the right to tell me what to do?

Gillz

Gillz
  • GA Private
  • 4,794 posts
  • Interests:Now we removed everything on your profile since ya wanna multi-account more. :P
  • Gamer Army ID:67
I think it might take me a few days to write mine...

The list is too long anyways.

My eyes are opened.

Sikotik

Sikotik
  • Banned
  • 6,181 posts
  • Interests:Music. Producing/Remixing/DJing/Creating/Listening To and Absorbing it in it's entirety.
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (Gillz @ May 16 2007, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it might take me a few days to write mine...
The list is too long anyways.

Mine's condensed. Just put the really important stuff in there.
His name is Robert Paulson.
I get banned with a little help from my friends
QUOTE (Gillz @ Jan 26 2008, 06:29 PM) View Post
Last time I checked, you didn't have the right to tell me what to do?

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

JESUS CHRIST I AM SO FUCKING DRUNK!

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:150
  • Company:Nu
0 - Watched TV, a sign of things to come.

6 - Got a Gameboy, became a gamer from then on.

7 - Realised I was a genius and got full marks in every school assessment.

13 - Realised it didn't matter and only tried hard enough to pass, spending study time gaming.

16 - Got seriously into the Internet and PC gaming when I got a decent PC and Internet connection.

16 - Discovered Pure Pwnage, had an epiphany.

17 - Become pretty famous on the Internet icon_wink.gif

18 - Became a deity, garnered worshipers and Skanky Yoda.
What came first, the spamming or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids reading thousands, literally thousands of posts about anime, 4chan, flaming, goatse and emos. Did I make terrible posts because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I made terrible posts?

okih-imus

okih-imus
  • Members
  • 652 posts
Well...everyday in my life shapes who I am. I don't think there was a ever just one huge event that completely changed who I was. It was just the little things from day to day.

LavosRebornX

LavosRebornX
  • Members
  • 221 posts
-Had sex.

Win.

Lead Enema

Lead Enema
  • GA Private
  • 813 posts
  • Interests:Foreign Languages, Music (classic rock mostly), Art, Girls, Food, Vidia Games, Philosophy, Movies, Television, Poker (Texas Hold'em), Guitar, Reading Books, Naturalism, Horticulture, Entomology, Zoology, Psychology, Physiology, Lucid Dreaming, Martial Arts, Venusian Arts, Anthropology, Mind Expansion, Meditation.
  • Xbox / GFWL:= Pwnage
  • PSN:I feel sorry for it
  • Wii:Better than PS3
  • Gamer Army ID:1881
QUOTE (LavosRebornX @ May 15 2007, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-Had sex.

Win.

-You lie.

Lose.

ZiM!

ZiM!
  • Members
  • 231 posts
  • xfire:zim389
QUOTE (Pwnstar @ May 15 2007, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
0 - Watched TV, a sign of things to come.

6 - Got a Gameboy, became a gamer from then on.

7 - Realised I was a genius and got full marks in every school assessment.

13 - Realised it didn't matter and only tried hard enough to pass, spending study time gaming.

16 - Got seriously into the Internet and PC gaming when I got a decent PC and Internet connection.

16 - Discovered Pure Pwnage, had an epiphany.

17 - Become pretty famous on the Internet icon_wink.gif

18 - Became a deity, garnered worshipers and Skanky Yoda.

Those two are big ones for me too.
Oh, and House is phenomenal

Urban_Legend

Urban_Legend
  • Members
  • 23 posts
Age 5: Started playing video games, first console was a PS1
Age 9 (Or so): Got Internet access and started playing online games like Neopets.
Age 13-14: I'm here now. Not much has happened. I lead a pretty decent life but things are starting to turn. I'm hanging out with kids who sometimes sell drugs, cheap floozies and people who fight with older kids.

Kindergarten: Had lots of friends and had a great time.
Grade 1-3: Did not hang out with friends as much since they played with other kids. This is the time when I dident really talk much and was often known as "the quiet kid"
Grade 4: Started hanging out with friends again. Went on like this till grade 8 (My current grade.)

People sometimes pick on me (even my friends) and girls dont really like me so I often feel like I have low self-esteem.

confrico

confrico
  • Members
  • 6,783 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
-every single time that i embarassed myself in front of people. if it doesn't kill me, well you know the rest...

BlightedArt

BlightedArt

Busting your balls since 1987. | Best Art Contributor

• GA Private
  • 7,092 posts
  • Interests:Cartoons, animation, video games, design, indie / acoustic alternative / rock music, japanese culture, mythology, playing drums and ocarina.
  • Gamer Army ID:2866
Every moment is a defining moment. Chaos Theory ftw.
"Wish you were here."
- The Devil, on his tour of Georgia, U.S.

melonqueen

melonqueen

Slayer of Bees

• Retired Staff
  • 2,881 posts
  • xfire:melonqueen
  • Interests:Gaming, web design, baking/cooking, drinking, Melons
  • Xbox / GFWL:melonqueen
  • Wii:0205097351995318
  • Gamer Army ID:148
  • Company:Pi
0-3 - Somewhere in here I first played an Atari2600, forever making me in love with games

5-12 - years of constant bullying and separation at the hands of my peers for being the "fat, ugly, smart kid"

13 - Got the internet, opened up a whole new world to me

14 - Attempted suicide, first diagnosis of depression which had resulted from the time I had had in primary school, physical abuse from my brother and emotional abuse (though wasn't really intentional on his part) from my dad

16 - Mum moved interstate, leaving me with my dad who didn't really get over the separation and was constantly in a bad place which really started to affect my already severely depressed mind

16-17 - Started drinking heavily, abusing and using my body a lot, going on a bad downward spiral. Another 2 major suicide attempts and self-mutilation. First boyfriend who used a lot of emotional blackmail on me and figuratively kept me on a leash for several months. Started smoking weed.

17 1/2 - Family interevened and I went to live with my aunt and uncle. Tough love principle came into play, I learnt to be responsible and to limit the activities I was involved in. Sought psychological help for the first time, came to see that there was a light at the end of the tunnel

18 - Started working bakery, realised how much I loved it and how I wanted to make a career out of it. Made friends with people who were a lot older than me at work, made me realise that there are people out there that put the little bullshit things behind them and go forward in life in a more mature manner. Also met my RL gamer friends who introduced me to Pure Pwnage.

19 - Joined the PP forums and met the wonderful people on here... From joining the forums I had the courage to travel to Toronto, Melbourne and Brisbane and meet up with some other forum members. In a way, PP helped me overcome some of my anxiety problems. Moved to Melbourne with my mum for a fresh start in life.

Now, less than a week away from 20, I can see those events as being the major factors that have shaped me. Having depression as bad as I do (I still battle it everyday, but unlike when I was younger, it's a battle I'm winning, not losing) has helped me alter me perspective on life and realise there is a lot out there for me. I didn't need to abuse myself the way I did in my teens, and I should have sought help a lot earlier. But from the things I did experience, I know I can be a strong person and overcome a lot. I feel kinda weird revealing myself in a bit of a raw way, but I honestly wouldn't be who I am if I hadn't gone through those things.
My Blog - The Retro Cook

UNpeacekeeper

UNpeacekeeper
  • Members
  • 118 posts
  • xfire:unpeacekeeper212
ages 1-14 - lived in a motel owned by my parents which was 20 miles away from my school and all my friends....had no social life to speak of so i had to pretty much learn how to be social in highschool....this pretty much got me into gaming around 7th grade when i picked up DoD and joined my first clan

age 14- got crushed emotionally by a girl and became a cynice/emotionally shelled up person and created for myself a douchebag/asshole exterior to cover up my emotions/true self...a part of me that only few people have seen

age 18- came to college and lived on my own...met many new people and learned to be a hybrid of my oldself/douchebag exterior thanks to meeting one girl that has become an integral part of my life....she actually only see's this side to me as opposed to my best friends ive known for 7+ years

age 18- got a 2.56 GPA for my first semester in college, kicked myself in the ass and gained a work ethic, got a 3.4 GPA this semester...but am still about .22 points off from transferring to my university of choice, going to work my ass off next year to get there.

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
  • xfire:dethfanatic533
  • Interests:STARCRAFT 2 BETA YEAAAAAAH<br /><br />Studying Journalism at University (First year).
  • Wii:0129147163791720
  • Gamer Army ID:1048
0-1 I pooped

2-6 I pooped some more

6-got AoE (oooooo yeah-my rts passion is born)

7-had an IQ test (living in Tassie at this point) found out that I was the 99.99th percentile in Tas (IQ of 165)

7-Moved to Adelaide for better education prospects

7(next year)-got put in a really bad class being teased (year 3) for being young and being a bit of a fag: hey, isnt every1 a fag at 7???-Not my fault. I got abused mentally and physically by my peers

7(term 2)-new school, muuuuuchhhh better.

10-started year six

11(same year about half way through)-got put up to year 7

11-started high school(year icon_cool.gif geez it was horrible

12-Got a good computer (hence my 15 hours a weekend of games (rts mainly)

12-got rejected, accepted then dumped by a girl in the space of 24 hours (hence my love of the song The Thin Line Between Love and Hate by Iron Maiden)

12-skipped year 9, went straight into yr10

13(same year)-met my real friendsthat I have now (cs junkies all of them) but we basically play all games cause I make them play sc, cnc3, wc3 etc.

14-year 11 geez...exams in 5 weeks icon_sad.gif

14- i turned 14 (like 3 months ago rofl)

that about sums it up for me...most of you seem to have much more shocking stories to tell than me...I feel so sorry for you guys, gl with your future lives icon_razz.gif

Mkoll

Mkoll
  • Members
  • 2,609 posts
  • xfire:huor666
QUOTE (dethfanatic533 @ May 16 2007, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
0-1 I pooped

2-6 I pooped some more

6-got AoE (oooooo yeah-my rts passion is born)

7-had an IQ test (living in Tassie at this point) found out that I was the 99.99th percentile in Tas (IQ of 165)

7-Moved to Adelaide for better education prospects

7(next year)-got put in a really bad class being teased (year 3) for being young and being a bit of a fag: hey, isnt every1 a fag at 7???-Not my fault. I got abused mentally and physically by my peers

7(term 2)-new school, muuuuuchhhh better.

10-started year six

11(same year about half way through)-got put up to year 7

11-started high school(year icon_cool.gif geez it was horrible

12-Got a good computer (hence my 15 hours a weekend of games (rts mainly)

12-got rejected, accepted then dumped by a girl in the space of 24 hours (hence my love of the song The Thin Line Between Love and Hate by Iron Maiden)

12-skipped year 9, went straight into yr10

13(same year)-met my real friendsthat I have now (cs junkies all of them) but we basically play all games cause I make them play sc, cnc3, wc3 etc.

14-year 11 geez...exams in 5 weeks icon_sad.gif

14- i turned 14 (like 3 months ago rofl)
that about sums it up for me...most of you seem to have much more shocking stories to tell than me...I feel so sorry for you guys, gl with your future lives icon_razz.gif

Fuuuuck... You must be a smart fucker.
Give up all you suckers we the tightest muthafuckas And you never seen us talking shit before now

You peelin' potatoes while we sonic alligators
Makin' records sellin' like we smokin' crack now

'Joe' -'what now'?
'We bad.' -'Bad how'?
'We make a track to shake a cow
and move you like you startin something nasty?

'And then' -What then?
'We do it again, don?t make no money for us to spend
on yachts and boats and planes and drugs and scooters?

- Hot Chip

Mac_Tonight

Mac_Tonight
  • Members
  • 471 posts
  • xfire:ibeatyou
  • Interests:Well, I think you know if you're on the Pure Pwnage forums.
Okay, fairly condensed, but still has the key points.

3. First memory of meeting my cousin Daniel, introduced me to games such as Puzzle Boggle and C&C.
- First went to my brother's friend David's house. Was introduced the Nintendo 64, and watched him and my brother play Lylat Wars (also known as Starfox 64) and Banjo Kazooie.

5. Got a Game Boy Pocket Gold Edition Donkey Kong Land Bundle for Christmas '99, drove my parents crazy always in search for batteries.

6. Introduced to Tiberian Sun my Daniel, and was explained the concept of using resources for money.

7. Went to cousin Leah's engagement party, first saw (and played) GoldenEye 64. Fell in love with it.

8. Parents got first computer (Celeron 1.3 GHz, 128 Mb RAM, 50 GB HDD.) I have clear memories of watching Windows XP install. Me and my brother were always playing Croc. They barely got to use it.

9. Moved up from Year 4 into Year 5 4 weeks into the year, constantly teased , bullied and hurt severely (for example, there was a kid with ADHD in my class, caught me talking about him, picked me up, and slammed me onto the concrete from the top of a ladder outside. Still going to present day.

10. First got internet, 56k dial-up with AOL. Back then they were a significant name, when you couldn't check your mailbox or open a magazine without having an AOL disc falling out of it. Nathan (my brother) and I demanded to have no filtering, as the 'Kids Only' channel was pure arse, and sometimes the filtering service would bugger up and block absolutely every URL.

11. Got first pair of headphones. Never stopped using them. Got Game Boy Advance, after using a Game Boy Colour Pokemon Gold/Silver Special Edition for 3 years. I was flabbergasted.
-Got first console on Christmas Day 2004 (after endless pleading.) 'Twas an Xbox. our first games were Halo 2 (which Nathan didn't let me play for AGES) and Worms Forts: Under Siege. Later on that day we got titles such as James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing and

11.5. Finally got better internet. Still sucked like hell (Telstra Bigpond Dial-Up,) but a hella lot better than AOL. Discovered the joy of music pirating.
-Completely saved my Mum's business after Nathan attempted to install Battlefield 1942 on our shitbox, causing the hard drive to seem empty. Luckily, I read 'Windows XP for Beginners' for leisure a month before, and learnt about System Restore. I saved the comp, the tears stopped, to this day my brother still owes me a milkshake. icon_biggrin.gif

12. Started using an eMac in class. Had used a Power Macintosh 7600 before in '99, found a tonne of differences, OS X for one. Realised I preferred Macs so much more, Fell in love with someone for the first time.

12.9. Went to the Next Byte in Adelaide Friday 13th October, 2006 to browse for a notebook to get. Got a MacBook. My only regrets are the fact that it runs too hot too keep on lap while gaming, that an improved model was released 1 week later, and that it has an Intel GMA950 64mb Integrated Graphics Chipset.

13. Bought HL2 GOTY Edition, absolutely loved it.
-Discovered PacSteam and SteamBuster, enjoyed copying my brother's GCF files for HL2 Ep1 and playing it without paying a cent.
-Bought C&C3, was shattered when it constantly crashed. I now wait in hope that 1.5 will fix the issues, as I dearly want to be able to play it properly.
-Finally joined the PP Forums after occasionally viewing the threads for about a year.

I still have trouble fitting in today, I'm always 'that geek', and gaming seems to be what I use to get away from my social issues. I love gaming to the core, but I just wish I don't need to use it, let alone anything, to help feel better, that I could have a good social life and be able to make good friends.

Tubby

Tubby

MotM Feb 2007 | Funniest Member 2006 | Teh_Tubbernaut

• GA Corporal
  • 2,917 posts
  • xfire:Tubbeh
  • Interests:Drinking, beard growing.
  • Steam ID:Tubbeh
  • Xbox / GFWL:Tubbernaut
  • PSN:Tubbernaut
  • Gamer Army ID:151
  • Company:Pi
Pre-Kindergarten: I knew my complete ABC's.
Age 4: Got an Atari 2600...

All hope was lost after that.

Some fathers teach their sons to shave. Others teach theirs to be men.

President and C.E.O. of Beardtek Incorporated Australia, Pty. Ltd.

VulgaritySocks

VulgaritySocks

Second only to DougHChrist! | Wisest Poster 08

• Members
  • 4,423 posts
  • xfire:h00nestr00b
  • Interests:Defenestration, interpretive dance...<br />Dreadlocks?<br /><br />This is stupid.
Deep...
I suppose I can't remember shit from before I was ten. I mean, there are bits and pieces, but I have no concrete memories from back then. Everyone is similar at that age anyway... its before they get the claws of expectation sunk into them. Oooh how dark...
Hm... I guess the real "life-changing" moment was the second (yes, second) time I did mushrooms. Absolute mind-fuck. Its all good and well to say certain things, but on mushrooms you see them right in front of your eyes. Its amazing to be able to understand why we're so small and see why almost everything we're constantly worried about generally doesn't really matter at all. I seriously would recommend mushrooms (taken responsibly mind) to anyone at all thinking about life below the surface. Its a "third eye squeegee" as Bill Hicks once said. Provides all the proof you need about everything most believe impossible to prove. They completely changed how I thought about life and its little oddities... they put everything in perspective. You hear a lot about people going insane on shit like magic mushrooms... I can understand that... but I like the fact that most people can just laugh off whatever they figure out. Shows there's some hope...
I think also that the sense of reassurance you get from them really helps. It's like really good music... there's a sense that no matter what happens, some sort of gentle guiding hand will make everything alright. Dissonance and consonance I suppose...
Anyway, that was a terrible thing to recommend everyone do. Lol drugs. But seriously... if you're curious, try them. If you're confused about anything in life, try them. Shit... if you're hungry, nibble on a few.

Another life changer for me would be the ever so clichéd first guitar. The second I started playing it oh so long ago I figured that it was something worth practicing. About ten years and countless hours of practice later I feel I'm finally starting to understand the dam thing... which is a nice feeling really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users