Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

punk/hardcore

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

chillxnate

chillxnate
  • GA Private
  • 207 posts
  • Steam ID:DontFakeThePunk
  • Xbox / GFWL:CHILL X NATE
  • Gamer Army ID:340
Just wondering if there are any PP fans out there that are into punk and youth crew hardcore at all? Stuff along the lines of Gorilla Biscuits, Mouthpiece, Shark Attack, etc. I'm into thrash as well... j/w.

Sikotik

Sikotik
  • Banned
  • 6,181 posts
  • Interests:Music. Producing/Remixing/DJing/Creating/Listening To and Absorbing it in it's entirety.
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
Search Button
Use It
His name is Robert Paulson.
I get banned with a little help from my friends
QUOTE (Gillz @ Jan 26 2008, 06:29 PM) View Post
Last time I checked, you didn't have the right to tell me what to do?

Eoa

Eoa
  • Members
  • 593 posts
Japanese hardcore is where it's at.

Luther_Vespers

Luther_Vespers
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • xfire:luthervespers
  • Interests:Computers, Guitar, Music in general
QUOTE (Eoa @ Apr 27 2007, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Japanese hardcore is where it's at.

Hells yes icon_smile.gif Polysics dude, check that shit out - a bit more New Wave/Techno, but still.

Yeah I'm into the punk/hardcore scene. It's mostly underground shit that I'm into, but I'm one of those guys with fucked up hair and army boots and a jacket with patches and studs (but not spikes cause I'm not an asshole). I go to a show about once a week. The Portland, OR punk scene is pretty nice. There's a lot of all ages venues as well - and they don't care if you bring your own booze in. What I like most about the punk scene is that once you get to know everyone, they're the friendliest group you will ever know. And I have a lot of respect for that, because it's just another reason not to be so judgmental and all that. This is getting too philosophical:

Crass
Dead Kennedys (saw Jello Biafra live)
Subhumans (saw live)
Millions of Dead Cops (saw live)
Citizen Fish (saw live)
The Virus
The Misfits
Agent Orange
Bad Brains (seeing them in May)
The Adicts
The World/Inferno Friendship Society (saw live)
Born Dead (saw live)
Riot Cop (local to Portland, seen them about 3 times)
The Tramps (my friends' band, who've actually got a pretty strong foothold at their age)

Cliche shit that I don't like:
The Clash
Casualties
G.G. Allin

I also don't like skinheads - the ones that start shit with people in the pit, and talk shit about people of different ethnicity. I've been in a few fights, and held at a juvy overnight a couple times. But, yeah, that's the kind of punk scene I'm into.

MCClammer

MCClammer
  • GA Private
  • 3,346 posts
  • xfire:mcclammer
  • Gamer Army ID:1114
I like punk, though my city has shit for underground music. There is one cool club though, has good bands most of the time.
QUOTE (Luther_Vespers @ Apr 27 2007, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cliche shit that I don't like:
The Clash

What don't you like about the Clash? Granted they may not be "hardcore" they are still a pretty good band. Not flaming, just wanting your opinion and reasoning, because personally, I love the Clash, and think they were extremely creative.
Part of the unlock the motherfucking weed thread crew. Join us.
www.techbums.net <--the secks
I have no attention span, beware, I will forget the debate threads I have posted in.
I cannot spell or conjugate verbs on the internet for some reason. Fight through it.

terrorist_dude

terrorist_dude
  • GA Private
  • 262 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:1869
irish punk is the craziest

plus punk is dead.

oi polloi
real mckenzies
black flag
minor threat
DOA
the germs
Spikey punks
misfits
user posted image

nullox

nullox
  • Banned
  • 24 posts
  • xfire:SUXXX.
  • Xbox / GFWL:OMFG YES.
  • PSN:I'D TAP THAT.
  • Wii:SUCKS.
  • Gamer Army ID:1516
I guess hardcore is a genre I'm into. But based on your bands the only ones in that specific genre are:
The Fall Of Troy
Sex Pistols
The Misfits.

Christron

Christron

I'd fuck the shit out of the Queen

• GA Private
  • 2,916 posts
  • xfire:Steam: Headlightsunderwater
  • Interests:Music and Games.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Christron
  • Wii:coming soon
  • Gamer Army ID:1579
southern rock:
Norma Jean, City of caterpillar, Job for a cowboy, nora, every time i die, the blood brothers, the daughters, dillinger escape plan, HORSE the band, The Locust, Zao.. there's some jersey trash in there, but overall southern sound.
Glassjaw's (brooklyn sound) my favorite, and Throwdown is good for courage crew shit

Dr.Toker

Dr.Toker

MoTM Dec 07| Teh Tokerer | Best GA Contributor 08 & 09

• GA Brigadier General
  • 2,215 posts
  • xfire:doctortoker
  • Interests:Computers, pwning noobs, pwning my GF,
  • PSN:ShadyToker
  • Wii:5719241413012107
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:102
I listen to old punk rock. I guess cause im old.

The Vandals, Dead Kennedies, Dead Milkmen, Ramones, Op Ivy, and the like. I'm not so much into hardcore shit. I find that these days I like the sound of a good rock song, but I'm not as pissed as I used to be, so some satyrical/smartass lyrics, and some good thick guitar licks is all i need.

But, I did discover a band recently (few years ago) called The Distillers, I think the singer chick was married to the guy from Rancid at somepoint, anyways, she fucking rocks, give it a listen.

Lead Enema

Lead Enema
  • GA Private
  • 813 posts
  • Interests:Foreign Languages, Music (classic rock mostly), Art, Girls, Food, Vidia Games, Philosophy, Movies, Television, Poker (Texas Hold'em), Guitar, Reading Books, Naturalism, Horticulture, Entomology, Zoology, Psychology, Physiology, Lucid Dreaming, Martial Arts, Venusian Arts, Anthropology, Mind Expansion, Meditation.
  • Xbox / GFWL:= Pwnage
  • PSN:I feel sorry for it
  • Wii:Better than PS3
  • Gamer Army ID:1881
QUOTE (Dr.Toker @ May 1 2007, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I listen to old punk rock. I guess cause im old.

The Vandals, Dead Kennedies, Dead Milkmen, Ramones, Op Ivy, and the like. I'm not so much into hardcore shit. I find that these days I like the sound of a good rock song, but I'm not as pissed as I used to be, so some satyrical/smartass lyrics, and some good thick guitar licks is all i need.

But, I did discover a band recently (few years ago) called The Distillers, I think the singer chick was married to the guy from Rancid at somepoint, anyways, she fucking rocks, give it a listen.

Yeah, she was married to that guy come to think of it. I'm not sure if she still is though. I think The Distillers are awesome, and I don't really even like punk all that much. My Uncle is really good friends with Henry Rollins and all the guys from Black Flag (he was a roadie), so I really love their music... The Rollins Band too. Basically anything Henry Rollins does in my eyes pwns.

Luther_Vespers

Luther_Vespers
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts
QUOTE (MCClammer @ Apr 27 2007, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What don't you like about the Clash? Granted they may not be "hardcore" they are still a pretty good band. Not flaming, just wanting your opinion and reasoning, because personally, I love the Clash, and think they were extremely creative.

"CBS promote the Clash, ain't for revolution, it's just for cash..." - Crass

I agree with Crass in the case of The Clash. They were sort of half-assed about their music. Sure they sung to include all the usual punk themes - corrupt government, mindless war, and corporate sell-outs - that is until they were rolling in the dough and fame themselves. Then they didn't talk so loud.

I'm not saying the Clash should be punished for making a lot of money and impressing a lot of people. But I think if they were really dedicated to the message they were trying to send to their listeners, they wouldn't have made a record deal with COLUMBIA RECORDS - the exact kind of big corporation the punk genre frowns upon.

The Clash was also a large inspiration for the band Green Day, a band that caused the death of a portion of planet Earth for the overplaying of their latest album.

MCClammer

MCClammer
  • GA Private
  • 3,346 posts
QUOTE (Luther_Vespers @ May 5 2007, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"CBS promote the Clash, ain't for revolution, it's just for cash..." - Crass

I agree with Crass in the case of The Clash. They were sort of half-assed about their music. Sure they sung to include all the usual punk themes - corrupt government, mindless war, and corporate sell-outs - that is until they were rolling in the dough and fame themselves. Then they didn't talk so loud.

I'm not saying the Clash should be punished for making a lot of money and impressing a lot of people. But I think if they were really dedicated to the message they were trying to send to their listeners, they wouldn't have made a record deal with COLUMBIA RECORDS - the exact kind of big corporation the punk genre frowns upon.

The Clash was also a large inspiration for the band Green Day, a band that caused the death of a portion of planet Earth for the overplaying of their latest album.

Yeah, I understand what you mean, but I still think the music is timeless. I think enough money will corrupt any band or just break them up. Green Day is terrible(imo).

With punk I am definitely like dr. toker. I'm not old but I just like history and learning about time periods especially music, so I am always attracted to older stuff. I like some new stuff of most genres but really, it is all about the old stuff. And for some reason I have a soft spot for synth punk(not exactly punk, but not emo, or main stream).
I have no attention span, beware, I will forget the debate threads I have posted in.
I cannot spell or conjugate verbs on the internet for some reason. Fight through it.

Luther_Vespers

Luther_Vespers
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts
QUOTE (MCClammer @ May 5 2007, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I understand what you mean, but I still think the music is timeless. I think enough money will corrupt any band or just break them up. Green Day is terrible(imo).

With punk I am definitely like dr. toker. I'm not old but I just like history and learning about time periods especially music, so I am always attracted to older stuff. I like some new stuff of most genres but really, it is all about the old stuff. And for some reason I have a soft spot for synth punk(not exactly punk, but not emo, or main stream).

So you see music like history then? I get what you're saying. Like, you don't necessarily agree that the atrocities of the Nazi party were a good thing, but you still think it's amazing that Germany was so vulnerable in their great depression that they allowed the rise of fascism.

Is synth punk like, The Screamers?

MCClammer

MCClammer
  • GA Private
  • 3,346 posts
QUOTE (Luther_Vespers @ May 6 2007, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you see music like history then? I get what you're saying. Like, you don't necessarily agree that the atrocities of the Nazi party were a good thing, but you still think it's amazing that Germany was so vulnerable in their great depression that they allowed the rise of fascism.

Is synth punk like, The Screamers?

Yeah, like that. I listen to music from the 60's, 70's, and 80's and I try to find out why it was relevant. Actually I think too much relevance can make me dislike a band sometimes, sort of odd, haha.

Screamers, Nervous Gender, Our Daughters Wedding, and some more, though I haven't listened to the Units, I feel a bit ashamed about that. I have a very broad musical taste, but I can definitely appreciate a good synth. From industrial, trance, some new wave, and neo new wave. My two guilty pleasure synth bands are Shiny Toy Guns and The Sounds(not exactly too synthy, but some songs can be)[edit: guilty because they are both incredibly poppy/sort of the music most 'posers' like]. Dance Punk, New wave punk, Post Punk.

My punk taste probably isn't inclined very much towards straight punk though I do like Alkaline Trio quite a bit, Bad Religion, Gutter Mouth, Flogging Molly, Rancid, Me first and the Gimme Gimmes(Johnnies barmitzvah was a funny album), The Briefs(I like the way they make pretty much every song), Bouncing Souls etc. What I like so much about punk is that it is a hard to define genre that allows many different bands and sub genres to be in it(though this can be bad when some feels you are not punk enough). Though for this reason the problem of posers is a big one and hard to actually call someone a poser(unless every band they like has been on MTV).

I guess the best way to state what I like in terms of punk is everything pretty much. I don't like MTV punk though, the sounds are the only band that I have liked that have been on MTV(that I know of), and I can't say I didn't lose some respect for them for that. When I saw miss murder on MTV I started to laugh at AFI's whole "fuck MTV" bullshit, they were just mad because they weren't played.

Mr_Bungle

Mr_Bungle
  • Members
  • 86 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Krebstar
All this talk about hardcore and no one mentions Fugazi...blasphemy!

Delicious!

Delicious!
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • xfire:fatalreload
  • Xbox / GFWL:d34thblo0mz
  • Gamer Army ID:1412
QUOTE (Mr_Bungle @ May 12 2007, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All this talk about hardcore and no one mentions Fugazi...blasphemy!

Haha I like Fugazi.. STYROFOAM!

TupperwareO3x

TupperwareO3x
  • Members
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:World of Warcraft, Video Editing, Skateboarding, Music
I used to be way into punk, eventually it just got to be the same thing over and over to me and I needed a change of pace. Used to be into more anarcho/crust type stuff such as Aus Rotten, Behind Enemy Lines, Conflict, Dissent, Humanicide, Crass, Rudinemtary Peni, Anti-Sect, Anti-Product, etc.

I also listened to some shit like Skeptix, GG Allin(I was more fascinated with his lifestyle than impressed with the music), Angry Samoans. Not too political, just good fast stuff.

Like I said, eventually I just needed a change. I wasn't as angry and couldn't relate to some of the music as well. Now I still listen to punk, but also nearly every other genre I can think of.

teh_slaughterer

teh_slaughterer
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • xfire:XSmithX
  • Interests:Video Games, Hanging with friends, movies, and chillin' in my room listening to music. Yes, I like being a loner-Too many idiots out in the world. &gt;.&gt;
I listen to Rammstein. The best hard rock/hardcore band, EVAR! kthnxbye

Slaughter, thats what I do.

Sikotik

Sikotik
  • Banned
  • 6,181 posts
  • Interests:Music. Producing/Remixing/DJing/Creating/Listening To and Absorbing it in it's entirety.
QUOTE (teh_slaughterer @ May 17 2007, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I listen to Rammstein. The best hard rock/hardcore band, EVAR! kthnxbye

... This is the PUNK / HARDCORE thread.
Rammstein is INDUSTRIAL. Well, except the newest 2 CDs. Those are more rock-based.
His name is Robert Paulson.
I get banned with a little help from my friends
QUOTE (Gillz @ Jan 26 2008, 06:29 PM) View Post
Last time I checked, you didn't have the right to tell me what to do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users