Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What I really think of sigs...

* * * - - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

The B.I.V.

The B.I.V.
  • Members
  • 2,591 posts
  • xfire:Balls!!!
  • Interests:Urban Rivals (online CCG), Writing, Zero Hour, Dawn o' War, CS:Source, Snowboarding/Waterskiing, Family man with wife and 6 lil ones. Favorite music artists (In no particular order): Chris Isaak, The Corrs, Bone Thugs N Harmony, The Donnas, Eminem, Pam Tillis. NBA B-ball (Go Jazz!).
  • Xbox / GFWL:Sux
  • PSN:Mah
  • Wii:Console
  • Rofl-Rupees:15
After several queries and disparaging remarks about my sig, I'd like to set the record straight as well as get a little discussion going regarding sigs.

First of all, I realize my sig is a bit of a paradox. I have many paradoxes and I like it that way. In that regard, my sig says a lot about me. Second, I really don't like sigs that much. Here's why:

Back in the days of Usenet (if any of you were alive back then), there weren't fancy graphics and a sig basically consisted of a lame movie quote or some other text or, in rare cases some ASCII art. Mostly they were lame and a waste of space. Fast forward to our glorious present. Some people actually have cool sigs, like the ones that relate to thier avatar, for example. Mostly, though, they remind me of vanity plates and here's what I really, really hate about vanity plates:

When I see a plate that says something like 'xcelr8,' that's fine. It's lame, but at least it makes sense. But then someone comes along with a plate that has some inside joke on it that means absolutely nothing to me. I mean, I can tell it means something but I don't know what. So then I say, what's the point of announcing something to everyone (which is what vanity plates and sigs do) when 90% of those people aren't gonna understand what the hell you're trying to say? So you can laugh and say "I know and you don't?" Lame.

In summation, sigs, like vanity plates, can be a valid form of self-expression but usually aren't used effectively and, therefore, simply constitute a waste of space.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

Brandon
sigs SUCK!
I'm HipHoppa in Urban Rivals, the greatest, free-est online CCG EVAR!!!!

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
  • xfire:cipher5006
  • PSN:Kithlan
QUOTE (The B.I.V. @ Mar 21 2007, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After several queries and disparaging remarks about my sig, I'd like to set the record straight as well as get a little discussion going regarding sigs.

First of all, I realize my sig is a bit of a paradox. I have many paradoxes and I like it that way. In that regard, my sig says a lot about me. Second, I really don't like sigs that much. Here's why:

Back in the days of Usenet (if any of you were alive back then), there weren't fancy graphics and a sig basically consisted of a lame movie quote or some other text or, in rare cases some ASCII art. Mostly they were lame and a waste of space. Fast forward to our glorious present. Some people actually have cool sigs, like the ones that relate to thier avatar, for example. Mostly, though, they remind me of vanity plates and here's what I really, really hate about vanity plates:

When I see a plate that says something like 'xcelr8,' that's fine. It's lame, but at least it makes sense. But then someone comes along with a plate that has some inside joke on it that means absolutely nothing to me. I mean, I can tell it means something but I don't know what. So then I say, what's the point of announcing something to everyone (which is what vanity plates and sigs do) when 90% of those people aren't gonna understand what the hell you're trying to say? So you can laugh and say "I know and you don't?" Lame.

In summation, sigs, like vanity plates, can be a valid form of self-expression but usually aren't used effectively and, therefore, simply constitute a waste of space.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

Brandon

Uhhh....
Sigs are cool?

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

Morra

Morra
  • GA Private
  • 1,958 posts
  • xfire:ubermicro54
  • Interests:Pure pwnage, gaming, metal gear
  • Gamer Army ID:1034
Sigs are used to identify each other, our interests, things we like, and what not.
Yes some people have quotes of them and their friends having a conversation, most of them are fairly easy to understand, but if you care enough and its really bugging you, just ask the person and Im 100% sure that they will tell you exactly whats going on.
IF you don't want to see people expressing themselves then why would you go on to forums like this that are opinion based?
Although yes some people can have annoying things and gay quotes like "i pwn so much lol rofl", but those guys that you should just ignore.
You kinda contradict your self a few times and that can get people angry so that may be why people have made comments on you.

hackerwacker

hackerwacker
  • Banned
  • 4,590 posts
  • Interests:Stuff that goes boom
  • Gamer Army ID:220
K

-Reaver-

-Reaver-
  • Members
  • 3,265 posts
  • xfire:omgreaveristaken
  • Steam ID:reaver117
I kind of agree. Wtf is this whole IZGIZZIS shit?

Blackened

Blackened
  • GA Private
  • 2,262 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:1658
QUOTE (hackerwacker @ Mar 21 2007, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
K

Way to be useless, hackerwacker!

I like sigs, they represent you and even the artist that made it. I'm not really bugged by 'inside jokes' though.

TBF Eugene

TBF Eugene
  • Banned
  • 34 posts
  • xfire:BALLLLLINs
  • Xbox / GFWL:warden
  • PSN:be
  • Wii:chad
sigs ftw but sigs r 4 describing some1 imo

Raykak

Raykak
  • Banned
  • 120 posts
  • xfire:lordray
  • Interests:Guitar, Starcraft, Counter-Strike, and Battlefield 2142
  • Xbox / GFWL:RJK Warrior
  • Wii:Lol?
QUOTE (TBF Eugene @ Mar 21 2007, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Might want to add a "Can't Spell" userbar in yours then.

nullox

nullox
  • Banned
  • 24 posts
  • xfire:SUXXX.
  • Xbox / GFWL:OMFG YES.
  • PSN:I'D TAP THAT.
  • Wii:SUCKS.
  • Gamer Army ID:1516
QUOTE (TBF Eugene @ Mar 21 2007, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

akshully sigz r 4....
O_O ALMOST WROTE WITH GRADE 2 GRAMMAR.

Signatures where made to replace those

-Jessica

So instead of -Jessica's we have the choice to put sigs. But many people choose to still do -Jessica's And thats okay if people still do them. But yeah i agree its a tad bit stupid to put an INSIDE joke
But the "you cookie is remembering" when people asked we were answered with a link to the thread of kyles typo.

UprightCitizen

UprightCitizen
  • GA Sergeant
  • 622 posts
  • Steam ID:uprightcitizen
  • Gamer Army ID:224
  • Company:Echo
QUOTE (-Reaver- @ Mar 21 2007, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I kind of agree. Wtf is this whole IZGIZZIS shit?

Well, if you are the "Gamer Army #1" then you would already know the answer, wouldn't you? ;)

captcollins

captcollins
  • Members
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Music, sports, games.
  • Xbox / GFWL:CaptCollins
I think there cool and can even be rather usefull. I like them.
Chickenz lol
I kiss girls.

Komet

Komet

PPFA 2006: Best HW&SW teh_overclockerer

• GA Corporal
  • 9,425 posts
  • xfire:theredkomet
  • Wii:7734541838954115
  • Gamer Army ID:128
I've used mine mainly for system specs, but now I've found myself referencing my guides so much that it was easier to just stuff them all down there.

A few good inside jokes are all in good fun though. Like my spoiler text counters noob master's. We had a good lol over it.

Eogris

Eogris
  • Members
  • 874 posts
  • xfire:eogris
  • PSN:Eogris_
  • Wii:0062259758890805
but vaelastraz called this hunter a pussie!! lol!

sigs dont really matter, i care more about the post

--Chaos-Shadow--

--Chaos-Shadow--
  • GA Corporal
  • 227 posts
  • xfire:chaosshadow93
  • Interests:I love music, video games, hanging out with friends, anything that can be fun. Rollercoasters are fun too, watching movies, stuff like this.. I am currently playing electric guitar, but I want to try playing electronic Keyboard. Or maybe is it called a synthetiser? I don't know, lol.
  • Wii:0112148488376068
  • Gamer Army ID:1492
Well, some sigs are cool, and some represents people.. As for me, I did it in like... 2 minutes, so I didn't really put any big effort in it.. If I would take the time to do it correctly, it would be more representative, but I guess that a small phrase like that can do the job. (Small phrase, I mean.. in my sig, of course)
Are you Ready for Chaos?

The WTF Man

The WTF Man
  • Members
  • 280 posts
  • xfire:creamo101
  • Xbox / GFWL:TheLastViking14
I think sigs can help represent who some one is. My sig has a couple of pics of SWAT, thats because I appreciate what they do, and they are also cool icon_wink.gif Also it is kind of a dream of mine to some day become a part of the VPD SWAT team (although I am looking at other options as well, other than Police).

EDIT: The guy on the left I dont think is SWAT. Guys on the right are:)

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (hackerwacker @ Mar 21 2007, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
K

QFT

Criss

Criss
  • Members
  • 934 posts
  • xfire:Maerwen
  • Interests:No.
Wait, so sigs aren't okay with you, but avatars are? They're the same idea to me.

PwnDaddy123

PwnDaddy123

Best film & movies contributor '09

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  • xfire:teh0ass0kicker
  • Interests:mothers
  • Steam ID:joeyestcool
  • Xbox / GFWL:more like gaylo
  • PSN:ballin
  • Wii:lol fkin dildo
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
Without my sig, how do you expect me to express my love to my fellow Montreal Canadiens?

QUOTE (GtuFest @ Sep 19 2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SITMOS is great, one of my favorite podcasts.

WASDfarian

WASDfarian
  • Members
  • 663 posts
  • Interests:computers, video games, classic rock
i get the part about vanity plates.....but sigs are kinda like....expressions, and most sigs are fairly straightforward.....they mostly relate to gaming in someway, so everyone in this community kinda gets it

God

God
  • Members
  • 1,879 posts
  • Interests:azn grrlz
if u don't like sigs isn't there a setting on these boards so it doesn't show them?
QUOTE (confrico @ Mar 15 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
chewing gum is sassy enough, let alone the extra fuck you of blowing a bubble

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users