Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Machine Head - 'The Blackening'

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

MaxDamage

MaxDamage

IRC Awards 2006: Friendliest | i r beefcaek. ph33r me!

• GA Private
  • 3,669 posts
  • xfire:maxdamagus
  • Interests:Rockin', art, gaming, listening to good music, etc...
  • Wii:will rock you
  • Gamer Army ID:108
You can hear one track online here.

I'd recommend minimising the crappy flash window and ignoring the 'personal message' after the track finishes. I'd also recommend cranking the volume up to ear-bleedingly high levels if the quality of the stream was more up to par - but as it is - 'loud' is sufficient.

Existing 'Head fans will probably already be familiar with the album, thanks to various leaks and a couple of official sample downloads - such as the Dimebag 'tribute' Aesthetics of Hate.

However for the uninitiated, Machine Head are a fairly long term ('94 anyway) 'aggressive' metal band, with elements of 'Bay Area thrash - if you've heard of Pantera, Slayer, Sepultura, Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, Mastadon and the like then the sound may be familiar; though they have a much less 'chaotic' approach to music than Slayer.

I'm confident in saying that it's likely to be the best 'aggressive' metal album of 2007, there's plenty of melody in the album - obviously not reflected in this sample track.

If you like it heavy, sit through it - if not, just don't bother. icon_razz.gif

I know the typical response to this band tends to be a luke-warm ignorance and I expect this thread to sink like a rock, but f**k it, I love it. icon_wink.gif

UUr16xn.png
I don't need tattoos to look hard. I AM hard.

Lord Panzerfaust

Lord Panzerfaust

Best Music Contributor

• GA Private
  • 3,013 posts
  • xfire:lordpanzerfaust
  • Interests:just gaming and music :P
  • Steam ID:lordpanzerfaust666
  • Xbox / GFWL:Age Ov DooM
  • PSN:LordPanzerfaust
  • Gamer Army ID:3878
  • Company:Pi
yeah i have heard some tracks from metal shows i listen to....i like what they have so far...fast,heavy and very long! hmmm my perfect album lol

Sikotik

Sikotik
  • Banned
  • 6,181 posts
  • Interests:Music. Producing/Remixing/DJing/Creating/Listening To and Absorbing it in it's entirety.
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
They're alright. Great live performers, really get the audience into it. I'd recommend going to one of their shows over buying their CDs, but both are always a good idea.
His name is Robert Paulson.
I get banned with a little help from my friends
QUOTE (Gillz @ Jan 26 2008, 06:29 PM) View Post
Last time I checked, you didn't have the right to tell me what to do?

some internet person

some internet person
  • Members
  • 568 posts
Their career should have been over after they released The Burning Red.

MaxDamage

MaxDamage

IRC Awards 2006: Friendliest | i r beefcaek. ph33r me!

• GA Private
  • 3,669 posts
  • xfire:maxdamagus
  • Interests:Rockin', art, gaming, listening to good music, etc...
  • Wii:will rock you
  • Gamer Army ID:108
QUOTE (Sikotik @ Mar 16 2007, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They're alright. Great live performers, really get the audience into it. I'd recommend going to one of their shows over buying their CDs, but both are always a good idea.

Aye, saw them at Rock City four times in a row icon_biggrin.gif
They really do kick serious arse live.

QUOTE (some internet person @ Mar 16 2007, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Their career should have been over after they released The Burning Red.

Well the fact is that they still dominated live (particularly in small venues) - as far as i'm concerned the quality of a band shows in how they perform rather than the polished, pretty studio recordings. icon_biggrin.gif

I can understand where you're coming from (not an entirely uncommon view (although many might say before Burning Red (for obvious reasons)), Supercharger was weak for the most part - but they still had really strong live shows - Through The Ashes of Empires was a massive improvement, though it wasn't really a direct return to the brutal sound of their first two - I wouldn't expect them to ever return to that exact mould.

This new album takes the earlier energy they used to have and adds more focus/ technical precision, it's not the same as BME/TMTC (certainly not as venomous) but it's definitely evolved in a good way - Demmel only had influence over a few tracks on the last one due to him joining late - and his talent has clearly made a huge impact here IMO (that and Flynn ceasing to attempt vocal ranges he ain't meant to reach icon_wink.gif).

I'm not saying it's the best album, best metal album or perhaps even the best MH album ever - but it's definitely a contender for the latter and I do (personally) consider Burn My Eyes to be one of the best metal albums in teh wurld. icon_smile.gif

It does require a little perseverance too, at a quick run through my first thought was 'oh great another TTAOE :|' but it's got a lot more meat to the individual tracks than that. At times the old trademark Machine Head 'Wall of Sound' returns and you could be forgiven for thinking you've got Burn My Eyes on. icon_biggrin.gif

I am biased, yes - I love 'em.

S'worth a listen if you like music with rocks in. icon_smile.gif

UUr16xn.png
I don't need tattoos to look hard. I AM hard.

Eoa

Eoa
  • Members
  • 593 posts
Been leaked for a long time.
Just read the original post.

It's okay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users