Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Discussion Thread

* * * * * 17 votes

• Please log in to reply
7983 replies to this topic

BogusMeatFactory

BogusMeatFactory
  • GA Corporal
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:Pwning, writing, reviewing, music composition, acting, programming
  • Xbox / GFWL:BogusMeatFactor
  • Wii:6374897161850475
  • Gamer Army ID:3688
  • Company:Golf
QUOTE (Joby @ Mar 24 2008, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand your gripes with Brawl and granted, there is some merit to them. The problems that I see with your statements are your extremes. I have been spent a lot of time playing both brawl and melee. Things have changed greatly. The speed of the game has slowed down a bit (not a ton more). The issues you have with Brawl are in common with what so many people have with fighting game sequels when things change. You want to play as the same characters as you did before and be just as good as you were then, as you are now. I find the game fun and more accessable to the unaquainted, making it easier for everyone to have fun, but also allows the pros to really go at it.

You are entitled to your opinion and I have no true objection to your views other than the extremities of your statement.

On the snake aspect though..search for him on Youtube.

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
QUOTE (Joby @ Mar 24 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Snake probably will be/should be bottom tier \o/

It'll take a while before tiers are set completely, but from what I've read on smashboards most people are putting snake high, if not top tier. Even if he is low tier, wasn't bowser low tier? It doesn't stop people from being good with them. If they didn't nerf some of the old characters the game would be a lot more imbalanced, there would be like top tier, and then marth would have his own tier. He's already top tier in brawl as it is, if they made him even better it would be dumb. A lot of the new characters are quite good, ya they're good because they aren't playing against the melee characters, this isn't Melee, this is Brawl. I'm not good at any of the new characters, but from what I've read and seen they're all pretty good like Pit for example, metaknight, Olimar (I saw people trying to get him banned from tournaments for being too good or something), ROB, Diddy Kong, Lucario, Pokemon Trainer, the list goes on. It's pretty hard to make a tier list now, and even so it's not like characters on lower tiers can't be played.

Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

Joby

Joby

I love it when a plan comes together.

• Retired Staff
  • 6,538 posts
  • xfire:joby67
  • Interests:Well a young man<br />He ain't got nothin' in the world these days<br />I said a young man<br />Ain't got nothin' in the world these days
  • Steam ID:purepwnagejoby
  • Wii:0958641680091840
Hmm.

QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Mar 24 2008, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Several of the new characters are a lot better then a lot of the Older ones.

QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Mar 24 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eh? What does anything being nerfed have to do with how good the game is?

I never said anything about the nerfed characters making the game less enjoyable. I did cry when I saw that Marth's down air saved the enemy and killed me, but I didn't call the game broken.

There wasn't any reason to nerf the old characters, just to play the new characters. And the new characters blow huge chunks. Except ROB. I took out more people with that tiny robot then I did using characters with actual weapons. Most of there characters were all hype and all the fanboys are blinded by that fact to realize they suck.
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Oct 30 2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
brb not picking up any woman

A completely unbiased review...

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
QUOTE (Joby @ Mar 24 2008, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There wasn't any reason to nerf the old characters, just to play the new characters. And the new characters blow huge chunks. Except ROB. I took out more people with that tiny robot then I did using characters with actual weapons. Most of there characters were all hype and all the fanboys are blinded by that fact to realize they suck.

Well like I said most people actually rate ROB like mid/high tier, whereas pit is like at the top, and olimar is high/top. Also Wolf, metaknight, diddy kong, and snake I saw rated higher than ROB if not on the same tier as him. All the tier lists are different but I've never seen one list that had ROB above all the other newcomers, especially pit.

Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

sillytails

sillytails
  • Members
  • 568 posts
  • Wii:3787400858828436
QUOTE (Joby @ Mar 24 2008, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm.

I never said anything about the nerfed characters making the game less enjoyable. I did cry when I saw that Marth's down air saved the enemy and killed me, but I didn't call the game broken.

you seriously have to go to a mental institution. ita fine you like melee better then brawl w/e but saying all the new charecters suck EXCEPT R.O.B...... R.O.B is all well and dandy but ill be damned if Wolf/Ike/Diddy/Lucario isnt 5x better then him. I personnaly think you are living in the past. Bottom Line = BRAWL ISNT MELEE. No matter how much you want it to be. I think your dis-crediting the newcomers because you suck nuts with them. If you cant adjust to Brawls playstyle it shows how weak of a gamer you truly are. Please watch some vids or play some good people before dissing half the roster >.<

Joby

Joby

• Retired Staff
  • 6,538 posts
  • Interests:Well a young man<br />He ain't got nothin' in the world these days<br />I said a young man<br />Ain't got nothin' in the world these days
Lemme just make this clear before people start a "Joby hates Brawl, hate him" club.

I'm not bashing the game to the point where I'm calling everyone who plays it a noob. In a sense I like the game, because it gives you a new setting to get good. I'm just pointing out flaws that I think could have been done to make the game much smoother. Please don't get the idea that I hate Brawl and all who play it. I'm just stating my opinions, but if my said thoughts offend you, I'm terribly sorry and wasn't meant like that.

I love you all.

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
QUOTE (Joby @ Mar 24 2008, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lemme just make this clear before people start a "Joby hates Brawl, hate him" club.

I'm not bashing the game to the point where I'm calling everyone who plays it a noob. In a sense I like the game, because it gives you a new setting to get good. I'm just pointing out flaws that I think could have been done to make the game much smoother. Please don't get the idea that I hate Brawl and all who play it. I'm just stating my opinions, but if my said thoughts offend you, I'm terribly sorry and wasn't meant like that.

I love you all.

I'm not offended I just want to have a civilized discussion about the tiers, and I can't comprehend why you think ROB is better than all the other new comers, he's good and he's pretty easy to use. Olimar is real easy to use and he just pwns, same with pit, although pit more so.

Sig1.jpg

Joby

Joby

• Retired Staff
  • 6,538 posts
QUOTE (sillytails @ Mar 24 2008, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you seriously have to go to a mental institution. ita fine you like melee better then brawl w/e but saying all the new charecters suck EXCEPT R.O.B...... R.O.B is all well and dandy but ill be damned if Wolf/Ike/Diddy/Lucario isnt 5x better then him. I personnaly think you are living in the past. Bottom Line = BRAWL ISNT MELEE. No matter how much you want it to be. I think your dis-crediting the newcomers because you suck nuts with them. If you cant adjust to Brawls playstyle it shows how weak of a gamer you truly are. Please watch some vids or play some good people before dissing half the roster >.<

As much I respect your views and opinions, I think you "seriously have to go to a" school.

Personally*
you're*

QUOTE (UDP @ Mar 24 2008, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not offended I just want to have a civilized discussion about the tiers, and I can't comprehend why you think ROB is better than all the other new comers, he's good and he's pretty easy to use. Olimar is real easy to use and he just pwns, same with pit, although pit more so.

I guess what it really comes down is the playing style you play you know? I love to go out and chase them when they're off the stage, and ROB is excellent at that. I think thats why I feel most of the new comers don't live up.

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
QUOTE (Joby @ Mar 24 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess what it really comes down is the playing style you play you know? I love to go out and chase them when they're off the stage, and ROB is excellent at that. I think thats why I feel most of the new comers don't live up.

I'm surprised you don't like pit then, he can float around off the stage much better than rob, maybe his attacks don't hit quite as hard but he can still beat them down, and even if you don't want to do that you can shoot arrows and curve them in the direction your enemy is off the stage. I think you should try pit more, maybe you'll like him more than ROB, I thought he was pretty good and most people think he is too.
EDIT: Also, I really enjoyed all the challenges they put into the game, and the SSE (even though many people didn't like it too much). Trying to beat boss battles on intense is quite a challenge and fun for me icon_biggrin.gif

Sig1.jpg

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
  • xfire:killercowld
  • Xbox / GFWL:bloodvayne360
  • PSN:killercow_ld
  • Wii:1681832568364918
Like Anth0ny sort of got at earlier in the thread, it just seems you really haven't played the game enough to come to an understanding of what characters are good and what characters aren't, or how to play them.

And it doesn't seem like you'll be playing into it that much anyways. But I digress.

Zllig

Zllig
  • Members
  • 790 posts
Joby is just mad he can't win with his easy mode Marth, and that his silly wave dashing is gone, tbh.

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
QUOTE (Zllig @ Mar 24 2008, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Joby is just mad he can't win with his easy mode Marth, and that his silly wave dashing is gone, tbh.

I still <3 Joby tho.

Joby

Joby

• Retired Staff
  • 6,538 posts
QUOTE (UDP @ Mar 24 2008, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm surprised you don't like pit then, he can float around off the stage much better than rob, maybe his attacks don't hit quite as hard but he can still beat them down, and even if you don't want to do that you can shoot arrows and curve them in the direction your enemy is off the stage. I think you should try pit more, maybe you'll like him more than ROB, I thought he was pretty good and most people think he is too.
EDIT: Also, I really enjoyed all the challenges they put into the game, and the SSE (even though many people didn't like it too much). Trying to beat boss battles on intense is quite a challenge and fun for me icon_biggrin.gif

I don't know, Pit's recovery just like, caught me by surprise. I'm not used to the "gently floating back to earth" type of recovery.

QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Mar 24 2008, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like Anth0ny sort of got at earlier in the thread, it just seems you really haven't played the game enough to come to an understanding of what characters are good and what characters aren't, or how to play them.

And it doesn't seem like you'll be playing into it that much anyways. But I digress.

I'll try and pick it up when I get a Wii. It's still got a competitive edge to it, so I might purchase when I buy a Wii. (Just to show you all how it's done) <3

QUOTE (Zllig @ Mar 24 2008, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya, 2 bad Luigi now sucks even more without wavedashing.

QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Mar 24 2008, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still <3 Joby tho.

Aww shucks, your comments hurt the most because they came from the heart, a grown man defending what he finds pride and joy in.

When I get Brawl, I want you to be my first smash buddy wub.gif

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
No offense but I didn't realize you don't have the game, you realllly need more experience than just a first impression, there's a big difference. I've let people play melee and they really don't like it, but how could I expect them to enjoy a game I've had years of experience when they've had an hour.

Sig1.jpg

Zllig

Zllig
  • Members
  • 790 posts
Hey, I'm not the one crying about my easy mode character not being easy anymore, Luigi was never really that easy, and it's not liked they buffed him up to overpowered status, they fixed a few things, and he pretty much is the same.

Anth0ny

Anth0ny
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,617 posts
  • xfire:Too lazy to open X-fire every time...
  • Interests:Wii!
  • Xbox / GFWL:fps anth
  • PSN:finally got a 360!
  • Wii:8250730335940364
  • Gamer Army ID:1158
I'd like to bring everyone's attention to this video. Yes, you read right. That's the Isai and the Ken. At that time, that was pretty high level Melee play. Obviously, it was played before L-cancel, wavedashing and shffls were discovered.

Now, the game has been released for almost two months in Japan, and not even an entire month in North America. Is there going to be an established metagame yet? Hell no! Are advanced techniques going to be discovered so quickly? No! You can't judge this game this quickly when it comes to competition. I've played Melee almost every day for the last 7 years. I've already gone back to it a couple of times because it's just that amazing. However, Brawl has potential IMO. It's going to be featured in EVO this year, and that is probably going to tell us a lot about the competitive scene.

Like SN3S said in a post, this really feels like ST and 3rd Strike. If you're good at one game, odds are, you'll like them both and will be pretty good at both. However, they are radically different in many ways. I feel that Melee will be more competitive than Brawl (Yes, I'm judging this a bit early, but my thoughts could change with time), however, I don't think that Brawl won't be competitive.

I pray that Melee stays in major tournaments. However, unfortunately, I don't see that happening as the Smash series does not get as much respect as Street Fighter or similar games would. So, get used to Brawl everyone. We're going to be playing it for a while!

I beat Jarett in Tetris. Once. Then he beat me four times straight. But still, I beat him once!

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
QUOTE (Joby @ Mar 24 2008, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know, Pit's recovery just like, caught me by surprise. I'm not used to the "gently floating back to earth" type of recovery.

But you like ROB? The mind, it boggles.

:p

Unseen Killa

Unseen Killa
  • Members
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:Skating/snowboarding, pretty much all extreme sports. Gaming of course.
  • Steam ID:Birdfeather4
  • Xbox / GFWL:Birdfeather
  • Wii:6292052913359869
Woa...

http://uk.youtube.co...KJ_RitVFIE&NR=1

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
Didn't know you can dash into Usmash?

icon_razz.gif

Ness, squirtle, and Snake are really fun to do it with

EDIT fixed, didn't mean Fsmash, don't call me a noob! >.<

Anth0ny

Anth0ny
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,617 posts
  • xfire:Too lazy to open X-fire every time...
  • Interests:Wii!
  • Xbox / GFWL:fps anth
  • PSN:finally got a 360!
  • Wii:8250730335940364
  • Gamer Army ID:1158
QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Mar 24 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't know you can dash into Fsmash?

icon_razz.gif

Ness, squirtle, and Snake are really fun to do it with

That looked like a little bit more than a dash into smash...are the floors really that slippery in Brawl?

I beat Jarett in Tetris. Once. Then he beat me four times straight. But still, I beat him once!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users