Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

European PS3 not so backwards compatible and $1000 in Australia

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Silverslug

Silverslug

Best Console Contributor 2006

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
  • xfire:fruitsofherwomb
  • Xbox / GFWL:fruitsofherwomb
  • Gamer Army ID:118
European PS3 not so backwards compatible

After nations with the PS3 solved their case of jaggy backwards compatibility issues, it seemed the whole kerfuffle about PS2 games playing on the PS3 were over. Now comes word from Europe that the PlayStation 3 launching March 23 will not be fully backwards compatible.

"The backwards compatibility is not going to be as good as the U.S. and Japan models," said a Sony spokesperson. According to Sony, the European PS3 is designed differently from the Japan and North America models. Software will take over the backwards compatibility issues now instead of dedicated chips. Sony also says 98 percent of PS2 games are playable on PS3 in the U.S. and Japan, no percentage was given for Europe.

Alex Kwiatowski, of British market research group Vertical Market Technologies (who sounds more like a Sony flack), said, "I'm as disappointed as the next game player about the reduced backward compatibility, but even the most nostalgic, misty-eyed gamers will have their steely hearts impressed by the new features that PS3 games provide." If God of War II, a PS2 game, doesn't work out of the box -- there will be Hades to pay.

- source

PlayStation 3 $1000 in Australia ... in Australian dollars

Following the horrible luck of the Irish, and then the Greek tragedy, the land down under will be comparably spared and given the same price as the majority of Europe when the PlayStation 3 launches in Australia March 23. Australia's price is $999.95 ($788 USD, 599). Sony defends the price saying that it is the same as Europe pays and the higher price is justified because of "currency exchange rate and small population size"

"We have to realize that we live in a country with 22 million people, and the US supplies product to 300 million, which creates very different business dynamics," said Michael Ephraim, Sony's Australia and New Zealand managing director.

Sony also stated online rumors that they would only receive 11,000 units for the launch were false, but wouldn't give any specific numbers. Now who wants to do the math and take the cost of the PS3 compared to various nation's average family income to inform us of who's getting the best deal on the planet?

- source

though some positive news i guess.
PS3 freebies aim to counter its high price

Though its just Japan I guess.

MegamanXZero

MegamanXZero
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,462 posts
  • xfire:MegamanXLanDarkZero
  • Interests:Gaming, Megaman, Anime, Movies, Cars, Megaman, Soccer, Martial Arts, hmmz.... ow and did I mention Megaman ??
  • Xbox / GFWL:MegamanXLanZero
  • PSN:MegamanXZero
  • Wii:3375446218493519
  • Gamer Army ID:924
  • Company:Mu
Fucking Christ, I knew I should've accepted that deal and import the PS3 + Extra Controller + 2 Games for 500 Dollars.
The Europeans always get fucked in the Gaming Industry, don't they ?

Manny Krispavera

Manny Krispavera
  • GA Private
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Music and PC games, story of my life.
  • Gamer Army ID:1793
1000$? I dunno how much that is in US dollars, but DAYYUMNNNNN!

SorrowNight

SorrowNight
  • Banned
  • 1,609 posts
  • xfire:Sorrownite
Australia's price is $999.95 ($788 USD, 599).
QUOTE (Krisp @ Feb 23 2007, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1000$? I dunno how much that is in US dollars, but DAYYUMNNNNN!

Laugh at post count. Useless post.

Silverslug

Silverslug

Best Console Contributor 2006

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
  • xfire:fruitsofherwomb
  • Xbox / GFWL:fruitsofherwomb
  • Gamer Army ID:118
Australia's price is $999.95 ($788 USD, 599)

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
Hmm, that's interesting.

Of course, by saying "interesting" I mean "utterly retarded".

How did people in Japan actually brought themselves to line up for these?

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Anth0ny

Anth0ny
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,617 posts
  • xfire:Too lazy to open X-fire every time...
  • Interests:Wii!
  • Xbox / GFWL:fps anth
  • PSN:finally got a 360!
  • Wii:8250730335940364
  • Gamer Army ID:1158
QUOTE (Weiman @ Feb 23 2007, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, that's interesting.

Of course, by saying "interesting" I mean "utterly retarded".

How did people in Japan actually brought themselves to line up for these?

Or pay hobo's to do it for them...it's garbage tbh.

I beat Jarett in Tetris. Once. Then he beat me four times straight. But still, I beat him once!

Kadjel

Kadjel

I fought with honour!

• Retired Staff
  • 3,183 posts
  • xfire:Kadjel
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
QUOTE (fruitsofherwomb @ Feb 23 2007, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Australia's price is $999.95 ($788 USD, 599)

That's ridiculous. PS3 fanboys, broaden your gaming horizons ffs.
Wuggles for everyone!

Drizau

Drizau
  • Members
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:FPS/ RTS
  • PSN:LikeaNinja
I don't care to be honest. I don't expect to play any PS1 or PS2 titles on my PS3 anyway. I don't play PS1 titles on my PS2 after all. If you want to play old games on next gen consoles there isn't any point in getting the console in the first place.

/2pennies.

MeTroiD

MeTroiD
  • Retired Staff
  • 3,457 posts
  • Interests:Starcraft, Metroid games, Nintendo, Guitar, Hockey (Maple Leafs fan), Basketball (Toronto Raptors), music includes metallica, dragonforce, trivium, megadeth, pantera and MeTroiD Metal. favourite game of all time is super metroid, love LOTR movies, simply enjoy a nice time chilling with my friends going out to eat or drink (i don't drink but keep them company of course) or just chilling at someones place, watching stuff, talking or playing Wii sports which is the next best new thing to do :) oh and megaman because MegamanXLanDarkZero said so :)
  • Xbox / GFWL:The Man Toss
  • Wii:2302372127657498
backwards compatibilty is such a big thing, it means that if i did plan on getting a PS3, that i don't need 3 separate consoles hooked up to play all those games, it's very helpful and saves tons of space

of course current gen is about current gen games, but prior consoles still have their classics that do deserve playing time

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:20
QUOTE (MeTroiD @ Feb 23 2007, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
backwards compatibilty is such a big thing, it means that if i did plan on getting a PS3, that i don't need 3 separate consoles hooked up to play all those games, it's very helpful and saves tons of space

of course current gen is about current gen games, but prior consoles still have their classics that do deserve playing time

only reason i buy current gen consoles is because companies stop making games for previous gens. too many classics on ps1 and ps2 that may be affected by this backwards compatability issue.
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 11 2010, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

dewoo

dewoo
  • Members
  • 710 posts
QUOTE (MegamanXLanDarkZero @ Feb 23 2007, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

very true, we get all consoles later and more expensive....

im starting to think that sony is getting emo and that it is trying to hurt itself, but the question is...how much more can sony take before playstation is no more...

edit: you know this would have been much more fun if sony would had used the first controller (the boomerang)
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, I hurt people.

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
QUOTE (MegamanXLanDarkZero @ Feb 24 2007, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fucking Christ, I knew I should've accepted that deal and import the PS3 + Extra Controller + 2 Games for 500 Dollars.

no australia gets even more fuked up. we got most consoles LAST. plus the price are higher, and like Europe, some decent games never even make it to our shores...

MegamanXZero

MegamanXZero
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,462 posts
  • xfire:MegamanXLanDarkZero
  • Interests:Gaming, Megaman, Anime, Movies, Cars, Megaman, Soccer, Martial Arts, hmmz.... ow and did I mention Megaman ??
  • Xbox / GFWL:MegamanXLanZero
  • PSN:MegamanXZero
  • Wii:3375446218493519
  • Gamer Army ID:924
QUOTE (Myth @ Feb 24 2007, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no australia gets even more fuked up. we got most consoles LAST. plus the price are higher, and like Europe, some decent games never even make it to our shores...

Wow that sux man, let's unite and fight against the Evil Game Companies Federation!!

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
QUOTE (Myth @ Feb 23 2007, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

New Zealand get srewed over even more most of the time im pretty sure. but yeah, aus gets the raw end of the deal alot
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts

i made it coz i was bored

Lov3

Lov3
  • GA Corporal
  • 890 posts
  • xfire:ipwnhardxore
  • Interests:Pwning noobs, and training my micro.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Lov3
  • PSN:< PS2
  • Gamer Army ID:237
How can the console be more expensive here, yet contain fewer features? It almost defies belief.
"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3" - Phil Harrison, Sony, December 2006.

Achil

Achil
  • Members
  • 734 posts
Oh how I love being a European gamer.

N1 Sony, N1.

MeTroiD

MeTroiD
  • Retired Staff
  • 3,457 posts
  • Interests:Starcraft, Metroid games, Nintendo, Guitar, Hockey (Maple Leafs fan), Basketball (Toronto Raptors), music includes metallica, dragonforce, trivium, megadeth, pantera and MeTroiD Metal. favourite game of all time is super metroid, love LOTR movies, simply enjoy a nice time chilling with my friends going out to eat or drink (i don't drink but keep them company of course) or just chilling at someones place, watching stuff, talking or playing Wii sports which is the next best new thing to do :) oh and megaman because MegamanXLanDarkZero said so :)
  • Xbox / GFWL:The Man Toss
  • Wii:2302372127657498
1up

We feel for our European brothers. No hardware backwards compatibility means the majority of the PlayStation 2 library, especially niche games, will never be playable on PlayStation 3. For many, though, this simply begged a much bigger question: will this happen in the United States, too?

1UP contacted Sony Computer Entertainment America for an answer, but instead of refuting the speculation, they're sitting on the sidelines for now. "We have no announcement regarding any hardware specification changes for PS3 in North America at this time," said a company representative.

While their response doesn't imply "no, this won't happen," it's not exactly a "yes, the next shipment will have the altered hardware" either. But, if this is kosher in Europe, why wouldn't it here, as well? Gamers, time to speak up.

it only makes sense that this would happen to the states as well, i wouldn't think they' have completely different PS3's over seas, at least ones that had different features, and that fact that there's no straight no for this question, most likely the future american consoles will have the same problem, sucks tbh

MrBlanks

MrBlanks
  • Members
  • 884 posts
  • xfire:sdn1003
  • Interests:Computers and airsoft... typical dork stuff.<br /><br />I also like long walks on the beach.
Dude, just wait, the ps3 will reign supreme late this year, just wait!

Stop bashing sony!

Nintendo is a gimmick waste of $250

On Fanboyism:"
"Why do people feel such fierce loyalty to a corporation? You can rest assured the corporation doesn't feel the same level of loyalty towards you."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users