Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I don't get it...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

QuamSerena

QuamSerena
  • Members
  • 435 posts
  • xfire:Xs1t0ry
Nintendo has always been a company solely interested in games and gameplay - not so much the media or graphical aspect of it. The Xbox has always (granted there are only 2) represented a balance between games and media, being able to listen to music and watch movies while not flaunting it as a main selling point (interestingly enough, it is also the balance point in price). The Playstation 3 and PSP represent a "gaming system" whose main selling point seems to be the media. With it's XMB, line up of movies and integrated web browser, the PS3's lead designer put it best when he said "it's not a gaming console, it's a cell-based computer."

That said, we have to assume that it is not surprising Microsoft's Xbox360 seems to be a favourite among many gamers in North America. It is a North American company, with titles that Appeal to North Americans. I always find it amusing to compare Japanese and U.S. game title profit benchmarks. In Japan, the best selling games are the fantasy ones called super red dragon sword adventure,* while in the U.S., the best selling titles are ones like super kill war gun adventure.* Note: Not actually games.

Perhaps it's a reflection of the culture, but between Nintendo's cheap, family-friendly system, and Xbox's rather appealing titles, it is no surprise that in North America the PS3 is the black sheep, It's getting a lot of bad press. Every site I browse, there is nothing about what the PS3 did right, just what they did wrong. The PS3 is performing well in Japan, second to the Wii, while the 360 is in last (3rd). In NA, the PS3 is being beat down by poor reviews and poor sales.

Now, I can't accept a multi-billion dollar corporation like Sony would just churn out a dud of a console, despite the fact that everyone seems to be against the PS3 succeeding. At twice the price of a Wii, this little black box has to have something good about it. ITT, give me honest, unbiased reasons why you think the PS3 is a good product and what it's main-selling points are.

Disclaimer: Before fabricating sales data in timely fanboy fashion, please consult a reputable sales benchmarking site before disputing any of the above information.
IPB Image

IllSkillz.MadDingo

IllSkillz.MadDingo
  • Members
  • 657 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Lunatic Dreams
  • Wii:2192355466653304
the blu-ray driver comes with it, with does make it the 600 dollars, but a bluray player alone is like 1k right now, thats one of its main selling points.

the graphics is another of its selling points.

pretty much its only two selling points currently imo
IPB Image

elliotter

elliotter
  • Members
  • 1,753 posts
  • xfire:elliotter
  • Interests:Guitar, gaming, music, and friends
The PS3 will pick up eventually, when better games come out like MGS4, Assasins Creed, FFXIII etc.

pro1337boi

pro1337boi
  • Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:PWNAN N00bS!!!!!11
QUOTE (elliotter @ Feb 11 2007, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The PS3 will pick up eventually, when better games come out like MGS4, Assasins Creed, FFXIII etc.

QFT, theres no reason to pick up a ps3 unless theres actually games out that you actually wanna play. Same thing goes for the bluray, theres no reason to buy a ps3 unless u got a HD1080p tv display that u can watch bluray movies on (if tahts ur thing).
i plan on buying one....just not right now. its only a matter of time for these 1337 games come out.
Shamgar 60 Human Pally-Arthas
Shamgaricon Blood Elf Paladin
I pwn n00bs
1337ORDIN

Renegad3 N

Renegad3 N
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Xbox 360:<br />Current - Gears of War<br />Reserve - Halo 2, Rainbow Six: Vegas<br />Former - PGR3, Oblivion, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter<br />Future - Unreal Tournament 3, Halo 3<br /><br />PC:<br />Current - Starcraft<br />Former - Warcraft 3: TFT, Unreal Tournament 2004<br /><br />Life:<br />Soccer<br />Street Hockey<br />Women<br />Curly Fries
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegad3 N
QUOTE (elliotter @ Feb 11 2007, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Assassin's Creed is for 360 as well, and can MSG4 and FFXIII compete with Halo 3 and Mass Effect?

The price point is the main reason most of the people I know are staying away. My Sony fanboy of a friend is even holding off purchasing a PS3 until next year because of the price (which is also a smart idea considering there are few good titles out for it now). Even worse, Sony just upped the price of the PS3 50 bucks in Canada. Also, the idea of the PS3 being more of a "computer" is scaring more console gamers away from it. If sony doesn't pick up their act soon their going to be swimming in a river of sick with no floaties on.

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
I keep hearing people say that "eventually" the PS3 will pick up. Well I hate to break it to these people, but it doesn't have that much time to do so. At most, it has to the end of the holiday selling season at the end of this year. I'd say it has to late summer to really pick up.
After all, Dreamcast and Gamecube weren't given a lot of time by developers to turn around.
It's an expensive system to develop for, and doesn't have great attach rates right now. If it's unlikely a developer will make a profit, or even break even on the system, they won't develop games for it. Also, MGS4 and FF XIII (though neither appeal to me) may be highly awaited games, but out of all those who want them, how many are willing to buy a $600 (more expensive in most places) system to play them?
IPB Image

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Feb 11 2007, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I keep hearing people say that "eventually" the PS3 will pick up. Well I hate to break it to these people, but it doesn't have that much time to do so. At most, it has to the end of the holiday selling season at the end of this year. I'd say it has to late summer to really pick up.
After all, Dreamcast and Gamecube weren't given a lot of time by developers to turn around.
It's an expensive system to develop for, and doesn't have great attach rates right now. If it's unlikely a developer will make a profit, or even break even on the system, they won't develop games for it. Also, MGS4 and FF XIII (though neither appeal to me) may be highly awaited games, but out of all those who want them, how many are willing to buy a $600 (more expensive in most places) system to play them?

dont forget there's already been rumors of both developers switching away from the PS3 or as not PS3 exclusives after these games...
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

MeTroiD

MeTroiD
  • Retired Staff
  • 3,457 posts
  • Interests:Starcraft, Metroid games, Nintendo, Guitar, Hockey (Maple Leafs fan), Basketball (Toronto Raptors), music includes metallica, dragonforce, trivium, megadeth, pantera and MeTroiD Metal. favourite game of all time is super metroid, love LOTR movies, simply enjoy a nice time chilling with my friends going out to eat or drink (i don't drink but keep them company of course) or just chilling at someones place, watching stuff, talking or playing Wii sports which is the next best new thing to do :) oh and megaman because MegamanXLanDarkZero said so :)
  • Xbox / GFWL:The Man Toss
  • Wii:2302372127657498
the reason i don't like the PS3, it's too damned expensive, and blu-ray was something i thought was forced into the system to force peolpe to accept blu-ray to push the media passed hd-dvd, and if blu-ray fails it'll look pretty bad on sony for doing this since it's pretty much made the PS3 very unaffordable

i think PS3 will pick up, it won't be nearly as dominant as the PS2 was, simply because the competition has picked it up big time, they have lost a few exclusives, but it just needs a price drop to warrant the purchase of the machine, i doubt i'll ever get one, but i just think it's unnatractive because of the price tag

but on a side note, sony also is pretty cocky atm and when they pushed the PS3 as well as the PS2 in the past, given a false sense of the systems power, i don't think fans deserve to be lied to when they are going to be shelling the money they shell out for consoles these days

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Video Gaming (PC mostly, also arcade shmups)<br />Chess<br />Linux/computers<br />Sci-fi (Dune, Star Wars, whatever)<br />Martial Arts<br />Philosophy
  • Steam ID:Destruct0r
  • PSN:kracine
  • Wii:5323779916910511
I think the main good thing PS3 has going for it over the others is that it has rechargable wireless controllers. No need for buying batteries, just plug them in to recharge them. I wish the Wiimotes had an adapter like that. I couldn't care less about blu-ray or photo-realistic graphics or using it like a computer. Know why? I have a good PC that can play great new games with great graphics, and oh look, it's also a computer. As for blu-ray, I don't have an HDTV so there's no point to that obviously. Plus I think DVDs are great quality as-is and they manage to pack tons of extras onto those. I don't see what benefit there is to having blu-ray. (before you say anything, I have seen HDTVs, they don't wow me that much. I can see what's happening on a normal tv, thanks, I don't care if I can't see the veins or beads of sweat on some guy in the background)
Current blog entry: The Future of Gaming According to Bobby Kotick
You are Likely to be Eaten by a Grue

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (Destructor @ Feb 11 2007, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the main good thing PS3 has going for it over the others is that it has rechargable wireless controllers. No need for buying batteries, just plug them in to recharge them. I wish the Wiimotes had an adapter like that. I couldn't care less about blu-ray or photo-realistic graphics or using it like a computer. Know why? I have a good PC that can play great new games with great graphics, and oh look, it's also a computer. As for blu-ray, I don't have an HDTV so there's no point to that obviously. Plus I think DVDs are great quality as-is and they manage to pack tons of extras onto those. I don't see what benefit there is to having blu-ray. (before you say anything, I have seen HDTVs, they don't wow me that much. I can see what's happening on a normal tv, thanks, I don't care if I can't see the veins or beads of sweat on some guy in the background)

once you get bigger TVs it starts to make a noticable difference. like around 50" normal quality gets fuzzy, and once u get reaally big tvs like in the 7+feet range, it gets worse. Honestly, this is more of a revolution for the next 5 years, because by then HDTVs will be so big/cheap that it will start being more and more noticible. Then you'll also get newer players and discs being cheaper so it really won't matter that much
Give me LoL Referals.

emsal

emsal
  • Members
  • 726 posts
  • xfire:Emsal
  • Interests:Ownage :D
  • Xbox / GFWL:Emsal
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Feb 11 2007, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
once you get bigger TVs it starts to make a noticable difference. like around 50" normal quality gets fuzzy, and once u get reaally big tvs like in the 7+feet range, it gets worse. Honestly, this is more of a revolution for the next 5 years, because by then HDTVs will be so big/cheap that it will start being more and more noticible. Then you'll also get newer players and discs being cheaper so it really won't matter that much

Yes, xbox has a HDDVD player which has much better quality than blue-ray.
Grrrrrr

Lov3

Lov3
  • GA Corporal
  • 890 posts
  • xfire:ipwnhardxore
  • Interests:Pwning noobs, and training my micro.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Lov3
  • PSN:< PS2
  • Gamer Army ID:237
QUOTE (QuamSerena @ Feb 11 2007, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The PS3 is performing well in Japan, second to the Wii, while the 360 is in last (3rd). In NA, the PS3 is being beat down by poor reviews and poor sales.

Actually, the PS3 is considered to be performing badly in Japan. As it turns out, 4 Wii's are sold to every 1 PS3. The 360, on the other hand, simply has no foothold in the Japanese market. Even so, the gap between the Wii and the PS3 is far greater than the gap between PS3 and 360 for January sales figures (same article). As for the US, December sales figures indicate the PS3 was indeed the looser, but the difference is far less marked - 1.1 mil (360), 604k (Wii) and 470k (PS3). There's just over twice as many 360's sold for every PS3.
"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3" - Phil Harrison, Sony, December 2006.

Javea1

Javea1

Member Of The Month October 2007 | Best RTS Contributor

• Members
  • 1,681 posts
  • xfire:Javea1
  • Interests:RTS
  • Xbox / GFWL:Javea
  • Wii:4339-2250-4654
QUOTE (Boycey-Ganglionz @ Feb 11 2007, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now before I say anything, this is all my opinion, no bullshit, no sales or figures. At the moment, there are very few reasons for me to actually buy a PS3, I'll eventually get one just for MGS4 and FFXIII, what then? As it stands, there's nothing else I would buy a PS3 for, people say Assassin's Creed, it's not PS3 exclusive, though. Castlevania on the PS3 is a huge selling point for me, I'm a huge fan of the Castlevania series. Is it really worth splashing out so much money on the PS3 for, what? 5 games?

It's clear that Sony don't care about the price or about robbing us. Since the Silver PS3 is coming, it's a bloody joke tbh. I admit to being a Nintendo fan, however, I'm impressed with Microsoft, the 360 is a good console and it has a load of great titles lined up. The point I'm getting at is, the 360 does some of the things that the PS3 does, music, movies, and such. The Wii is a different spin on things and as you said, Nintendo are well known for making games systems, not multimedia systems. So buying a Wii and 360 (which is cheaper than one PS3) you're getting a bit of both.

QFT.

Couldn't have said it any better.

-Jav
"Gonna cook a pizza... think about the patch." -Day[9]

Lord Panzerfaust

Lord Panzerfaust

Best Music Contributor

• GA Private
  • 3,013 posts
  • xfire:lordpanzerfaust
  • Interests:just gaming and music :P
  • Steam ID:lordpanzerfaust666
  • Xbox / GFWL:Age Ov DooM
  • PSN:LordPanzerfaust
  • Gamer Army ID:3878
  • Company:Pi
Well the PS3 isn't in australia yet so i can't make my total judgement till i get my hands on the thing lol..anyway i belive that the PS3 is like the first xbox for me...it was more expensive and bugger all games that i wanted to play so hopefully the price will come down a bit or there is heaps of good games that would make me want to get one, anyway its all about the wii and when i get a good HDTV a 360 for me icon_biggrin.gif

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
  • xfire:eedok
  • Interests:qqq
  • Steam ID:eedok
  • Xbox / GFWL:eedok
  • Wii:3394-3242-5681
  • Gamer Army ID:1176
QUOTE (QuamSerena @ Feb 11 2007, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That said, we have to assume that it is not surprising Microsoft's Xbox360 seems to be a favourite among many gamers in North America. It is a North American company, with titles that Appeal to North Americans. I always find it amusing to compare Japanese and U.S. game title profit benchmarks. In Japan, the best selling games are the fantasy ones called super red dragon sword adventure,* while in the U.S., the best selling titles are ones like super kill war gun adventure.* Note: Not actually games.

actually the top selling games in north america have titles that look something like this:
Madden {current year +1}

because the xbox fosters this is one of the big reasons why it's so successful in North America

Silverslug

Silverslug

Best Console Contributor 2006

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
  • xfire:fruitsofherwomb
  • Xbox / GFWL:fruitsofherwomb
  • Gamer Army ID:118
Xbox 360 is just a gaming machine that wants to get the best online experience. They are trying to get the most games on it as possible. Microsoft has alot of business online like MSN.com and stuff but and there OS's on PC. There way of selling there VISTA is to market it to gamers with Live Anywhere but they aren't forcing it on you. They give HD gaming for people that want it. They never force anyone to get a HDtv, HDTV's don't benefit them.... at all.

Nintendo is looking for a new way to play games. O

"the key here is not what you are playing, but how you'll be playing."

Now that we are seeing alot of old ported games, I'm not really that surprised. Since the games don't matter, its just the wiimote.

Sony's Playstation 3 has market other branches written all over the box. First they are trying to push there Media Format Bluray on everyone just for gain. Then they are trying to push Cell (witch is devolped by IBM, Sony, and Toshiba), Then after that they are also trying to push TRU HD over and over. Sony wants you to buy a 1080p HD TV (they make tvs, big surprised), Bluray (comes in box), and sell alot of Cell Microprocessors (in box) so everything will lower price and they earn $$.

I say if you're going to be in gaming, stop thinking about you're other branches and how you could make profit off of gamers. Just stick to games and everyone will respect you.

GrereX1

GrereX1
  • Members
  • 90 posts
  • xfire:GrereX1
  • Xbox / GFWL:GrereX
QUOTE (emsal @ Feb 11 2007, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, xbox has a HDDVD player which has much better quality than blue-ray.

Not rly, Blu-ray is darker after a Couple of hour in my local Best Buy just looking at the Blu-ray Movies ANd the HD-DVDs it was maybe the TVs but the quality are the same. The Only thing that really matter is if you have a HDTV or not. The Only way i think of Comparing THE Hd-DVDs and Blu-rays is The movies, just look wich one has better movie for it.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (fruitsofherwomb @ Feb 12 2007, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Xbox 360 is just a gaming machine that wants to get the best online experience. They are trying to get the most games on it as possible. Microsoft has alot of business online like MSN.com and stuff but and there OS's on PC. There way of selling there VISTA is to market it to gamers with Live Anywhere but they aren't forcing it on you. They give HD gaming for people that want it. They never force anyone to get a HDtv, HDTV's don't benefit them.... at all.

Nintendo is looking for a new way to play games. O

"the key here is not what you are playing, but how you'll be playing."

Now that we are seeing alot of old ported games, I'm not really that surprised. Since the games don't matter, its just the wiimote.

Sony's Playstation 3 has market other branches written all over the box. First they are trying to push there Media Format Bluray on everyone just for gain. Then they are trying to push Cell (witch is devolped by IBM, Sony, and Toshiba), Then after that they are also trying to push TRU HD over and over. Sony wants you to buy a 1080p HD TV (they make tvs, big surprised), Bluray (comes in box), and sell alot of Cell Microprocessors (in box) so everything will lower price and they earn $$.

I say if you're going to be in gaming, stop thinking about you're other branches and how you could make profit off of gamers. Just stick to games and everyone will respect you.

fruits... u forgot to bold playstation 3... it's just so not like you... I don't think I can count you as a credible source anymore...
Give me LoL Referals.

Lov3

Lov3
  • GA Corporal
  • 890 posts
  • xfire:ipwnhardxore
  • Interests:Pwning noobs, and training my micro.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Lov3
  • PSN:< PS2
  • Gamer Army ID:237
QUOTE (GrereX1 @ Feb 16 2007, 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not rly, Blu-ray is darker after a Couple of hour in my local Best Buy just looking at the Blu-ray Movies ANd the HD-DVDs it was maybe the TVs but the quality are the same. The Only thing that really matter is if you have a HDTV or not. The Only way i think of Comparing THE Hd-DVDs and Blu-rays is The movies, just look wich one has better movie for it.

True dat. I'm not 100% about this, but I think both formats use the same MPEG 4 compression algorithm (for video anyway), only in higher resolution. The only difference between the formats is that blu-ray disks currently go up to a very high capacity, which won't always be used, and the copy protection on the two, which are similar enough that they were both cracked by the same guy within a week of each other. Certainly two films on each format will fill the same amount of space, because they use the same resolution and compression algorithm AFAIK.

Also HDDVD is cheaper, which is looking to be the deciding factor, again.
"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3" - Phil Harrison, Sony, December 2006.

Mara

Mara
  • Members
  • 662 posts
  • xfire:rottenkiller
  • Wii:1888959111040640
QUOTE (IllSkillz.MadDingo @ Feb 11 2007, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the blu-ray driver comes with it, with does make it the 600 dollars, but a bluray player alone is like 1k right now, thats one of its main selling points.

You can see it in the quality of the player. For example compare PS2's dvd player and newest dvd players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users