Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

5 Reasons a Holo-Deck would Pwn

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Syntra

Syntra
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts
  • xfire:MSN
  • Steam ID:SyntraIsCool
  • Xbox / GFWL:None
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:Noplayonline
5 Reasons a Holo-Deck would Pwn.
By Old Gregg

1. Internet Shopping.

Well this would be fun. Say your looking on a clothes site and see something you want, You can try it on! Or you see a sweet knife on Amazon, But you don't know how the blade is gonna be. Well then you can actually hold it in your hand! Simple as that.

2. Travel.

Well, No need to get on a plane any more. Just Go into your holodeck, Say something like "start program Tokyo" and BAM! Your in Tokyo! I mean you may not feel like your 100% there, but it'll save you a good bit of money.

3. Education

Say you've got... A report on the civil war. Why not go back to see what it was actually like? I mean it'd be compiled stuff by historians, but it'd still be pretty damn sweet. And teach you alot about the time period your in.

4. Sex/Relationships.

No need for a girlfriend anymore. You can create the perfect one in the Holodeck. PLUS, You can have Extremely interactive sex! Literally the closest thing to sex you can get! Needless to say this would kinda kill marriage, but still, who needs it? It just teaches women to get off there asses.

5. Games.

Think of it, These games would REALLY immerse you! You'd Actually be holding a gun that seemed real, Or fending off Headcrabs with your crowbar, Or YOU would be going into BWL with your guild, Or YOU Would be fighting the Nazi's, or YOU would be going into that Oblivion gate. No matter what the scenario, the result is simple. PWNAGE.

I'm sure I forgot something, but those last 2 reasons alone are enough to convince people to start making holo decks, right?
Weiman took my virginity.
Currently playing: Fallout 3 - Fifa 09 - The Orange Box

nigy

nigy
  • Members
  • 1,407 posts
that would be pretty win, its one of the things i can see in fifty years. however in 1950 people thought we would have flying cars in 2000, and SPOILER: we dont!

God

God
  • Members
  • 1,879 posts
  • Interests:azn grrlz
woops, safeties off

you get mind controlled by a headcrab, shot full of holes, and sliced up by skeletons...

pp_smiley11.gif
QUOTE (confrico @ Mar 15 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
chewing gum is sassy enough, let alone the extra fuck you of blowing a bubble

Syntra

Syntra
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts
  • xfire:MSN
  • Steam ID:SyntraIsCool
  • Xbox / GFWL:None
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:Noplayonline
QUOTE (God @ Feb 6 2007, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
woops, safeties off

you get mind controlled by a headcrab, shot full of holes, and sliced up by skeletons...

pp_smiley11.gif

That would just force people not to suck! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh and Nigy, We know how to make Flying cars. We just dont.
Weiman took my virginity.
Currently playing: Fallout 3 - Fifa 09 - The Orange Box

melonqueen

melonqueen

Slayer of Bees

• Retired Staff
  • 2,881 posts
  • xfire:melonqueen
  • Interests:Gaming, web design, baking/cooking, drinking, Melons
  • Xbox / GFWL:melonqueen
  • Wii:0205097351995318
  • Gamer Army ID:148
  • Company:Pi
QUOTE (Syntra @ Feb 7 2007, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It just teaches women to get off there asses.

blink.gif

Bit sexist

But the rest of it sounds cool
My Blog - The Retro Cook

Karko

Karko
  • Members
  • 3,034 posts
while being a gamer / otaku I dislike the idea of something substituting itself for reality in the way that a holo deck would icon_confused.gif

for gaming it'd be an awesome level of immersion.. but something like that which could create any illusion you wanted just doesnt sit very well with me

if you can have a perfect life in one of those why bother at all with the real world ?

Second. Worst. Signature. Ever.
Expecting something witty? Herp derp tiddlerp.

Michelle Kenobi

Michelle Kenobi
  • Members
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, filmmaking, video games. I direct geeky webseries (Boomer's Day Off, The Real Sims) at youtube.com/kill9tv
  • Steam ID:michellekenobi
QUOTE (Syntra @ Feb 6 2007, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It just teaches women to get off there asses.

What on earth are you talking about?

Anyway, before I even read your post the first thing I thought was "no need for a boyfriend/husband anymore!" lol. This would probably mean the end of society as we know it, actually. If you could have everything you want in something so close to real, there wouldn't be any ambition anymore. The only work that would need to be done would be work to make more holo-decks and harvesting/synthesizing of food.

Michelle Osorio, Writer and Director of
Boomer's Day Off - a Left 4 Dead web series

The Real Sims - my latest live-action web series

Kill9 StudiosBlogTwitter ● YouTube

Fritobag

Fritobag

R.I.P Troy "T-Bag" Dixon

• Retired Staff
  • 4,342 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:134
QUOTE (Michelle Kenobi @ Feb 7 2007, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only work that would need to be done would be work to make more holo-decks and harvesting/synthesizing of food.

lol, make more holo-decks! Illogical.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin.
I offer SC2 coaching for $25/hr, msg if interested :)

G'kar

G'kar
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Interests:Film/Sci-fi/Writting.
Obviously you've never seen futerama. They had an episode with a very instructive video of what happens when people date and have sexual relations with robots. Hint: It's not a good thing.
IPB Image

"Everything is everywhere during every instance in time... and that, is the universe.
It is both finite and infinite, and it alone contains things beyond our capability to understand."

Shadowstar

Shadowstar
  • GA Private
  • 5,853 posts
  • Interests:My companion cube and cake
  • Xbox / GFWL:AznInvasion22
  • Gamer Army ID:297
Technology is taking over!

Shorts

Shorts
  • Members
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:eh, PP, music, guitar, Battlefield, ?
Holo-addiction anyone?

http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Holo-addiction

That wouldn't be a very good idea. Instead, I'd prefer seeing a replicator being invented. That would be awesome!

Shorts
Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.
~Epicurus, Greek philosopher (341 BC - 270 BC)

G'kar

G'kar
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Interests:Film/Sci-fi/Writting.
QUOTE (Shorts @ Feb 7 2007, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Holo-addiction anyone?

http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Holo-addiction

That wouldn't be a very good idea. Instead, I'd prefer seeing a replicator being invented. That would be awesome!

Shorts

Here's the definition:

Holo-addiction is a psychological disorder in which a person spends time in the fictional world of the holodeck in preference to the real world. This phenomenon is usually an escape mechanism symptomatic of deeper psychological problems.

Hm, wait! We already have something like that. It's called World of Warcraft.
IPB Image

"Everything is everywhere during every instance in time... and that, is the universe.
It is both finite and infinite, and it alone contains things beyond our capability to understand."

Karko

Karko
  • Members
  • 3,034 posts
QUOTE (G @ Feb 8 2007, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's the definition:
Hm, wait! We already have something like that. It's called World of Warcraft.

We've always had MMO's which did that though even so a game where you sit down at a computer is less immersive on such a huge scale in comparison to actual interaction with something that im not sure its a good comparison..

sure both provide escapes from reality but its alot harder to escape when you're looking at a pixelated mess.. even on the rp servers where they seem to attempt as full an immersion as they can there'll always be something bringing you back

but with say a holodeck ish thing you'd have a situation where anyone could theoretically get what they want.. to any degree as realistically as possible short of actually doing it..

why bother with real life when the fantasy is so much better?

Second. Worst. Signature. Ever.
Expecting something witty? Herp derp tiddlerp.

The Man

The Man
  • Members
  • 2,843 posts
  • xfire:menchions
  • Interests:RUSH
  • Xbox / GFWL:MunchBunchNL
  • PSN:Don't Have PS3
  • Wii:6421140839796455
  • Gamer Army ID:704
Holo-Decks could very well be possible.

Let's say that all those panels on the roof, floor, and walls were actually monitors with huge resolutions. You could be standing in Tiananmen Square. As you look around - since all the other monitors are displaying parts of a huge image - you could turn while a z axis sensor which you are wearing picks up on your sight so the clouds, ground, etcetera would move as you move. Using x and y axis sensors, you could walk around while the geographical location will pass behind you. If you jump or fall down, another axis sensor would pick up on that and level off the images with your eyes.

Any ideas on how it could simulate material objects?

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

JESUS CHRIST I AM SO FUCKING DRUNK!

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:150
  • Company:Nu
Better Than Life anyone?
What came first, the spamming or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids reading thousands, literally thousands of posts about anime, 4chan, flaming, goatse and emos. Did I make terrible posts because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I made terrible posts?

Brenner

Brenner
  • GA Sergeant
  • 1,304 posts
  • Interests:pwning n00bs
  • Steam ID:RedElite14
  • Xbox / GFWL:Brenner14
  • PSN:RBrenner
  • Wii:7811616637693823
  • Gamer Army ID:101
QUOTE (Menchions @ Feb 7 2007, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Holo-Decks could very well be possible.

Let's say that all those panels on the roof, floor, and walls were actually monitors with huge resolutions. You could be standing in Tiananmen Square. As you look around - since all the other monitors are displaying parts of a huge image - you could turn while a z axis sensor which you are wearing picks up on your sight so the clouds, ground, etcetera would move as you move. Using x and y axis sensors, you could walk around while the geographical location will pass behind you. If you jump or fall down, another axis sensor would pick up on that and level off the images with your eyes.

Any ideas on how it could simulate material objects?

Let's not forget you are of course limited by the size of the room. I'm pretty sure it would ruin all the immersion when you walk over to that bench and hit your face right into a monitor.

Simulating material objects would be a toughie. If the persistent world existed in your mind, however, both these problems would be eliminated. Perhaps science will find a way to access an alternate state of consciousness - a hack for your brain - that would let you create these worlds and explore them as you pleased. You would never actually be moving, so you could never reach the end. Everything would be 100% real and anything you imagined would exist. It would be perfect every time because you created it. The scenarios would always be convincing as well, because you consciously control what is happening. Anything you want to change can be changed immediately to your specifications. This probably wouldn't even be necessary, because you subconscious could probably take control of creating the environment on it's own. It's fascinating what kind of worlds your brain can create, and this is evident based on dreams. This would be the ideal "Better than real life" simulation, and soon it may be possible. Scientists are learning more about the brain every day.

tenken

tenken
  • Members
  • 368 posts
QUOTE (Karko @ Feb 7 2007, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
while being a gamer / otaku I dislike the idea of something substituting itself for reality in the way that a holo deck would icon_confused.gif

for gaming it'd be an awesome level of immersion.. but something like that which could create any illusion you wanted just doesnt sit very well with me

if you can have a perfect life in one of those why bother at all with the real world ?

Exactly what im thinking, Real life > Holo-Deck no matter how nice it is.

Seizure

Seizure
  • Members
  • 389 posts
  • xfire:seizureexplosion
Agreed. I'm sure if holodeks were around almost everyone would be immediately hooked and would spend all their time in there, and I'd probably be one of the nuts standing outside with the hand-written sign protesting the whole system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users