Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

• Please log in to reply
325 replies to this topic

fykusfire

fykusfire
  • GA Private
  • 1,316 posts
  • xfire:fykusfire
  • Steam ID:fykusfire
  • Gamer Army ID:1293
  • Company:Hotel
I believe I know what "New-Agers" you are referring to in the Wikipedia article above. Related topic to the "New-Age" aspects of this topic:

Lucis (Lucifer's) Trust Links:
http://www.lucistrust.org/
http://freemasonrywatch.org/lucistrust.html
http://www.reachouttrust.org/articles/newage/lucis.htm
http://www.realnews247.com/the_lucis_trust...and_the_nwo.htm

Rael and the Raelians:
http://www.trincoll.edu/depts/csrpl/RINVol4No2/Rael.htm
http://skepdic.com/raelian.html
http://www.geocities.com/endtimedeception/rael.htm
http://www.alienshift.com/id27.html

I could put more, but this will do for now.

Corey

Corey
  • Members
  • 1,431 posts
  • Interests:Music, owning, women
Peoples have fortold of the end of the world/the second coming of gods/the rebirth of mankind for ages. Christ should have reappeared like 25 times by now. Atleast like 50 of these dates have passed without incident, I think we're safe.
user posted image

fykusfire

fykusfire
  • GA Private
  • 1,316 posts
QUOTE (Corey @ Jan 11 2007, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Peoples have fortold of the end of the world/the second coming of gods/the rebirth of mankind for ages. Christ should have reappeared like 25 times by now. Atleast like 50 of these dates have passed without incident, I think we're safe.

Actually, no matter what men say, Christ said himself that "only the Father knows the day and time." So technically, Christ wasn't supposed to appear yet at all that anyone is aware of. Just because some dude or woman out there thinks so, doesn't mean that is the case, and that is what Yehoshua said himself. You are not even close to out of the woods then, even with those 50 past dates included. As a matter of a fact, an indicator that something big is drawing near is the people that have said this through the ages. Of course it has been said all throughout history, but in more recent years it really has gotten worse, and those who are doing this were made semi-famous by those same fear-mongering "prophecies." But Christ said that many false prophets would come in the age to preceed his return. So with that said, I wouldn't rest so quickly on your laurels. I for one am certainly waiting to see what will happen in 2012.

Anonymous1c4

Anonymous1c4
  • Members
  • 2,071 posts
The world may not end because of a solar system stopping or something, but I lately just have a feeling the world is going to end. I mean, there's just so many events happening around me that seem too coincedental and too often to be accidental. Then again, it's just me and not everyone else.

<[BoYc3]> Sausage on my frying pan.

Corey

Corey
  • Members
  • 1,431 posts
  • Interests:Music, owning, women
QUOTE (fykusfire @ Jan 11 2007, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, no matter what men say, Christ said himself that "only the Father knows the day and time." So technically, Christ wasn't supposed to appear yet at all that anyone is aware of. Just because some dude or woman out there thinks so, doesn't mean that is the case, and that is what Yehoshua said himself. You are not even close to out of the woods then, even with those 50 past dates included. As a matter of a fact, an indicator that something big is drawing near is the people that have said this through the ages. Of course it has been said all throughout history, but in more recent years it really has gotten worse, and those who are doing this were made semi-famous by those same fear-mongering "prophecies." But Christ said that many false prophets would come in the age to preceed his return. So with that said, I wouldn't rest so quickly on your laurels. I for one am certainly waiting to see what will happen in 2012.

Yeah, well that's bascially what I was insinuating, that crazy fundamentalists predict the coming of Christ/the end of the world on a monthly basis. So therefore this Mayan prediction really shouldn't weigh too heavy on anyone's mind, seeing how any religion, every religion, is based purely on faith and therefore any prediction is as evidence lacking as any other, no matter who makes it. And also, Christ saying that only the father knows the day and time is just hearsay, no one can prove he ever said that, and even if he did, no one can prove that Christ was anything except a human that had no relation to any God.
user posted image

Starblaiz

Starblaiz

Here comes the sun!

• Global Mods - GA Brig. Genereral
  • 5,287 posts
  • Interests:Games (obviously :P ), Programming, Physics (especially Astrophysics)
  • Steam ID:virus52
  • Gamer Army ID:225
  • Company:Gamma
wow st1dinoh, what a post! Im still reading over that and digesting it. some sound info there mate. wp icon_wink.gif

I just want to throw another thing out there on this topic - The age of Aquarius began astrologically back at the turn of the Mellenium. It is believed by some astrologers I know that 2012 is the end of the Age of Pices (the beginning of the age of Pices was arround the time of the suposed birth of Jesus, and isnt it funny how the christian symbol is the fish, and how his second comming was predicted to be somewhere arround the year 2000?)

So my personal view is yes, the world will end on 2012. It will be the end of the Age of Pices (the world we all know), and the beginning of the Age of Aquarius. thats how I interpret it anyway.

fykusfire

fykusfire
  • GA Private
  • 1,316 posts
QUOTE (Corey @ Jan 11 2007, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, well that's bascially what I was insinuating, that crazy fundamentalists predict the coming of Christ/the end of the world on a monthly basis. So therefore this Mayan prediction really shouldn't weigh too heavy on anyone's mind, seeing how any religion, every religion, is based purely on faith and therefore any prediction is as evidence lacking as any other, no matter who makes it. And also, Christ saying that only the father knows the day and time is just hearsay, no one can prove he ever said that, and even if he did, no one can prove that Christ was anything except a human that had no relation to any God.

Oh okay, gotcha. That's what I figured you were saying.

Atholon

Atholon
  • GA Private
  • 262 posts
  • xfire:gevonrecon
  • Gamer Army ID:949
Ok.. lets stop and think about this......
All this, from a race of people:

who couldnt even invent the wheel.
and got their asses handed to them by spain.

ST1DinOH

ST1DinOH

Master Debater 08

• Members
  • 7,272 posts
  • Interests:fireworks, weed,
QUOTE (Atholon @ Jan 11 2007, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok.. lets stop and think about this......
All this, from a race of people:

who couldnt even invent the wheel.
and got their asses handed to them by spain.

right....you can talk shit about the mayans when you've built the largest civilization in the americas complete with roads, bridges, pyramids, temples, math, astronomy, ect...

also they had the wheel and used it in some aspects but never fully utilized it. thier culture was centered around the use of stone tools and farming. much of thier civilization existed in mountianous regions where a cart on wheels just wasn't practical

piggyspizza

piggyspizza
  • Members
  • 3,170 posts
  • xfire:piggyspizza
  • Interests:Guitar<br />Gaming<br />Computers<br />Friends
  • Xbox / GFWL:Shwanzig
  • Wii:7168706976063002
Well if the worlds ending in 2012 fuck school, and fuck work

And also for use "crazy" (I'M KIDDING) christians we belive in the rapture so no worry for me icon_smile.gif
Crysis isn't a game, it's a benchmark.

G'kar

G'kar
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Interests:Film/Sci-fi/Writting.
QUOTE (piggyspizza @ Jan 11 2007, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well if the worlds ending in 2012 fuck school, and fuck work
And also for use "crazy" (I'M KIDDING) christians we belive in the rapture so no worry for me icon_smile.gif

The worlds not ending in 2012. If you 'fuck' school and 'fuck' work, you'll regret it come 2012.
IPB Image

"Everything is everywhere during every instance in time... and that, is the universe.
It is both finite and infinite, and it alone contains things beyond our capability to understand."

Atholon

Atholon
  • GA Private
  • 262 posts
  • xfire:gevonrecon
  • Gamer Army ID:949
QUOTE (G'kar @ Jan 11 2007, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The worlds not ending in 2012. If you 'fuck' school and 'fuck' work, you'll regret it come 2012.

Yes, I can definately assure you that the world is NOT ending in 2012.

right....you can talk shit about the mayans when you've built the largest civilization in the americas complete with roads, bridges, pyramids, temples, math, astronomy, ect...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt ancient Greece and Ancient Egypt have those some thousands of years before the mayans?

Sure they may have been the most advanced in America, but they didnt have much competition..

I lol'd at this topic.

ST1DinOH

ST1DinOH

Master Debater 08

• Members
  • 7,272 posts
QUOTE (Atholon @ Jan 11 2007, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I can definately assure you that the world is NOT ending in 2012.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt ancient Greece and Ancient Egypt have those some thousands of years before the mayans?

Sure they may have been the most advanced in America, but they didnt have much competition..

I lol'd at this topic.

you do realise that these civilizations didn't have airplanes, and the internet right?

i mean how do you compare civilizations that are completely independant of each other, to one another?

it's not like they copied something from someone else...and BTW these civilizations all at one point co-existed.

they didn't have much competition? k

i won't even justify that with a wiki...not even a google....you're just gonna have to self educate on that one bro...

i lol'ed at your last post

VulgaritySocks

VulgaritySocks

Second only to DougHChrist! | Wisest Poster 08

• Members
  • 4,423 posts
  • xfire:h00nestr00b
  • Interests:Defenestration, interpretive dance...<br />Dreadlocks?<br /><br />This is stupid.
1. No casual talk/discussion here. Do that in the main lobby. Light hearted debate goes there too, this section is only for serious debate.

Er... other than st1dinoh's posts (which were quite interesting, by the by...) this isn't something that can be "debated". However, the last few posts are disagreeing with me there, so maybe I'm wrong....

Hmm... about this whole thing though, looking at how humans think nowadays, there has been a huge shift in the way we think since about 300 years ago. And that's not a long time at all... about five lifetimes. Humans have turned their backs on religion for "lack of proof". So this whole "shift in consiousness" thing... maybe there finally will be proof that we can all believe and it will reveal itself in 2012. It would fit with many of the predictions.
About the Mayans, people really need to give these ancient civilizations more respect. These guys did some thing people nowadays wouldn't even believe possible. Not only the Mayans, but the Egyptians, the Greeks, even some tribes of natives. The Egyptians in particular... they somehow, before the pulley was supposed to have been invented, moved blocks weighing over three hundred tonnes with perfect precision. To do that today, a person would need to use a huge custom crane, of which only five exist. And the Egyptians did this more than three times. They also included mathematical jokes into their pyramids... the number pi figures prominantly in their construction, and yet pi is only supposed to have been discovered about 1800 years later by a Greek philosopher.

So basically, these civilizations were brilliant. And we know way less than you would think about them. There could be some catastrophic event in 2012, and then again nothing at all could occur. One thing most people don't realize is that these people weren't humans like we look at them today. If we were to go back in time, we would think them a completely different species. They acted, talked, looked, dressed and even thought differently than people did today. It's very possible they knew something we don't, even with their "barbaric ways".
So do I personally think the world will end? Nope. I'm skeptical anything will happen. Would be nice for a little bit of excitement though. It'll be interesting to see what will occur. Already, even within this thread, there's an interesting mix of faith and science (the potential of asteroids or comets hitting earth) going into this. So maybe that's what will occur... some sort of great shift to a new way of mixing these two. Perhaps something will occur which proves beyond a doubt the scientific nature of the world... perhaps something the excact opposite will occur. No point in worrying about it, what will come will come.

TheBlackOut

TheBlackOut
  • GA Private
  • 4,612 posts
  • xfire:theblackout92
  • Steam ID:highbuzz
  • Gamer Army ID:1316
China suppose to finish a nuclear reactor 2012.....

icon_surprised.gif

I don't think it will happen. ^_^ I hope not, I wanna live more.

Turkey Llama Confederation (WE MUST FIGHT TO PROTECT IT!)

-Checkmate-

-Checkmate-
  • Banned
  • 2,236 posts
  • xfire:checkmate1337
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Gamer Army ID:3211
QUOTE (st1dinoh @ Jan 11 2007, 03:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it appears no one so far has read much about the mayans
your history class was wrong....read below and you'll see how crazy accurate they've been...as in never wrong
read below for why the mayans deserve some respect....i'll provide some "evidence" (all what if's basicly but just odd how they all coincide)
thier calindrical system is still accurate to this day dispite being thousands of years old.
well said....bravo....quite the contribution there...
well these guys haven't changed thier date at all (cause they are dead...gg spain). many dates have come and gone but this one has been around for a long time, and every single one of thier other predictions have come to pass.
read below
yeah they have predicted just about everything astronomical since the calendars conception (other than passing meteorites from far out)
give this a read and it might just change your mind....
for starters the mayans were an uber advanced civilization

read
here's a link to the wiki page where you can read all about thier advanced civilization that inhabbited and built one of the largest cities in the americas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chich%C3%A9n_Itz%C3%A1

look at these pics....these people were fucking amazing....all this without the use of metal or the wheel....just stones, ropes, and mud.

these people invented thier own type of concrete using limestone by first burning, then crushing, and mixing with water....they used this to build things like pyramids

a ballcourt that you can hear a wisper from one end to the other despite it's incredible length and open "roof"

Observatories

many, many temples just as impressive

even roads paved by the concrete mix they used which still stand today

there are even claims that the mayans created the largest suspension bridge in the world at one point when they spanned the river outside of Chichén Itzá to connect the temple city to the farmlands so they could stop worrying about the often flooded and violent currents.

they were an amazing people and i'd hope after this post you guys will at least find an interest in thier accomplishments

they did some amazing shit, like that ballcourt up there acoustical engineers are fucking dumbfounded to understand how the hell an open air court with a grass floor is able to transmit a wisper from one end to the other and the person be able to hear it perfectly

other evidence of strange knowledge of sound can be found in thier main pyramid (pictured above), a person can stand at the base of that pyramid, clap thier hands, and the echo sounds like a bird...

not just any bird....but the pyramid chirps back in the voice of the sacred quetzal bird, a bird that the mayana consider a religious idol because it resembles thier god quetzalquatal a long feathered bird that looks like a flying searpent

wanna here it.....click this

http://www.acoustics.org/press/136th/c2a.wav

now on to the calendar.........
the winter solstice of 2012 marks the end of the mayan long count calendar completes its thirteenth b'ak'tun (baktun) cycle. in the mayan belief system this sybolises the end or the transition from the current Creation world into the next.

here's the wiki link to the mayan calendar page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar

i'll paraphrase a bit just to snip the relavet parts.

first and foremost thier calendrical system dates back to the 6 thousand BC. the mayans claim thier knowledge of the calendar was given to them by the diety Itzamna.

here's the explination of the basic short cycles used in the system
the mayans not only are acredited as one of the first civilizations to keep accurate record of the earths path around the sun, but they also kept a record of the moon, and venus. thier entire system was based on observation of natural cycles and phenomenon. everything they wrote about (thier past, present, and future) was based on what they learned by looking up, and all around. one of the first civilizations to develop such an in depth understanding of things outside of earth. thier 365 day running count calendar (the haab) even accounted for the extra day every 4 (leap year)

the mayans held strong ties to the ends of each baktun cycle, they would commemorate these period endings by building twin pyramid monuments. they also built thier capital cities main pyramid complex to coincide with the summer and winter solstice (more on that later).

ok so here's what's most important....

the mayans never said the world would end...they said 2012 was a time of rebirth....a time of major change

according to the indigenous still practicing mayans who adhere to the religion (Quiché Maya) they believe we are living in the 5th age/era/world. they believed that the 4 previous ages were gods failed attempts at making the world, the 5th was suitable for man....kinda like a temporary shelter for us to live in whiel he prepares to build us a new one (or so some believe...other fringe aspects of the following believe in more dire results of the end of the 5th age *see below*).

so the point is that nobody...not even the mayans know what the hell is really gonna happen....but many have predicited all kinds of shit...

everything from pole flops, to astral alignments, to a spiritual assention

IMO i think man kind will freak out starting about 2009, and getting worse by the day till 2013....it'll be 1000x worse than Y2K

a small part of me gives creedence to the numerous predictions and funny stuff that will be going on around that time....and only because the mayan calendar has never been off. they stopped writing the calendar long before the spanish murdered them in the name of thier religion and greed.

but the other parts of me know to just use it as an excuse to get as far away from major cities as possible before that date arrives. as stupid as people are i'll bet money on massive mayhem and anarchy in the days/weeks/months leading up to 12/21/2012. building a house in the middle of nowhere and having a generator and lots of food/water is never a bad idea.

either way i'm covered
*here's a list of stuff leading up to the winter solstice in the year 2012 that we know about for sure.
*here's some books written about 2012
*here's some other predictions for 2012 from the wiki page on it...

wisest post ive ever read in my life.

ST1DinOH

ST1DinOH

Master Debater 08

• Members
  • 7,272 posts
QUOTE (-Checkmate- @ Jan 12 2007, 12:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wisest post ive ever read in my life.

thanks....it took some time but i don't mind talking about things i'm interested in....the mayans are my favorite civilization...they are just fucking amazing if you look into them.

fykusfire

fykusfire
  • GA Private
  • 1,316 posts
QUOTE (st1dinoh @ Jan 11 2007, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you do realise that these civilizations didn't have airplanes, and the internet right?

i mean how do you compare civilizations that are completely independant of each other, to one another?

it's not like they copied something from someone else...and BTW these civilizations all at one point co-existed.

they didn't have much competition? k

i won't even justify that with a wiki...not even a google....you're just gonna have to self educate on that one bro...

i lol'ed at your last post

Although this may not happen too terribly much, ( icon_razz.gif ) I couldn't agree with St1dnoh more on this. Great post before by the way man. Very informative and well documented stuff.

G'kar

G'kar
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Interests:Film/Sci-fi/Writting.
QUOTE (st1dinoh @ Jan 12 2007, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks....it took some time but i don't mind talking about things i'm interested in....the mayans are my favorite civilization...they are just fucking amazing if you look into them.

They are amazing indeed(as was your post), I don't think anyone should disagree with the sheer magnitude of greatness the civilization accomplished. However, just because they were brilliant doesn't mean everything they said and do was correct. They predicted the world was going to enter a new era of sorts in 2012. Personally, I feel that there's another technological boom on the horizon, that won't cause a re-birth of any kind, but rather 'evolve' our society onto another stage, for better or worse - either way I believe it'll make everything below 2010 look like almost a different age. Now, I don't really have anything to back this up, it's just based on what I've seen and what I feel... what I'm trying to say is it's not foolish to believe in something. But believe in it because you believe it, not because an ancient accomplished civilization said so. . It can be interpreted in many ways, and it probably will be. Fact is though, the world COULD end at any time as I believe I've already pointed out, but that doesn't mean it will. I can assure you that it's 99.9% probably that we will live beyond 2012 without mass suffering or death. Now of course it could change, but it could change at any time. It could have happened in the 1960's, it could happen today(Or at least the start of it.) Thing is, time is not linear(See time travel thread) and there is no such thing as a destiny, nor is there such thing as a prophecy that will happen no matter what. If the world does end in 2012, it will be pure coincidence. The Mayans didn't - and even couldn't have - actually see it coming, if the world does end, it's because it just happened to end during 2012. That's not going to happen, however. In some scenario in some point in time it will, but in whatever way we perceive time to be, it won't.

That was what the debate was for, was the world going to end in 2012. There's really not much to talk about, because it's not really a debate. Either you believe it will or you believe it won't - I think it's absolutely silly to believe it is, but hey, believe whatever you want. There's no evidence to back anything up at all, so all I can do is point out that time doesn't work in the way most people think it does. Keep that in mind.. as well as the fact that people since the dawn of humanity being able to think and philosophize people have been predicting the end of the world. Some very intelligent people, against many not so intelligent people. The Mayans are no different then just another date on that chart of all the dates the worlds supposed to end. No amount of 'oh but they achieved this this and that' will make them any different from the rest. Remember, not everyone in the civilization is reflective of it's accomplishments, I can assure you there was a lot of very basic, simple, even dumb people in the civilization. Personally, I believe this thread should just be closed, and if you guys want to continue serious debate about the Mayan civilization as a whole, start a new thread.
IPB Image

"Everything is everywhere during every instance in time... and that, is the universe.
It is both finite and infinite, and it alone contains things beyond our capability to understand."

KiRuR

KiRuR
  • Members
  • 94 posts
I dont know about 2012 but I do know about 2010!

heres my story:
Last year around July i was running late to work (as usual), and I was waiting for my bus... there was this old and very strange man just sitting in a corner, he seemed to be off.. probably from booze.. well anyway... the bus arrived and as i entered the old man grabbed my ass (just kidding) he grabbed my leg and i freaked out... but he just wanted help to get in the buss so i did help the old timer... and as he entered i took my seat next to the window.. he came directly to me and sat next to me... now this old man stinked like there was no tomorow, but since im such a good person (lol) i didnt mind.. so the old man began making conversation (a few years younger and i would have though he was hitting on me) and he started telling me that he had this incredible but awfull gift that he could somehow see the future... now for those of u who dont know me (all of u); i dun believe in any shit that doesnt have evidence.... but the old man was a really convincing son of a bitch u know? the way he told me and the way he spoke with those scared eyes! I really was in the mood to hear all the nonsense he could sort out.. and so i did... he told me a lot so im gonna share some of it with u guys...
he told me that in 2010 there was gonna be this fucking disaster in China! where a bunch of ppl were gonna die.. it was going to be really messed up... and that would be the "beginning of the end" ...fucked up hun? lol i know it seems ridiculous but shit i WILL NOT go to china EVER just because of that! He really scared the living shit out of me! it was awesome.

and this is for real.. i know it may seem like im kidding but i am serious..

btw: i hope this isnt too much offtopic ..i just felt like sharing it with u guys
IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users