Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

• Please log in to reply
325 replies to this topic

Peon_You

Peon_You
  • Members
  • 13 posts
So in 2012 apparently the solar system is supposed to come to a stand still according to myan calenders thats where time ends so do u guys think ti will happen????????????? discuss.

HikariKage

HikariKage
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,546 posts
  • xfire:HikariKage
  • Wii:2426085976289137
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:364
I fucking Hope not...

Spencer

Spencer

Best NickName of 2006 as teh_raperer

• GA Private
  • 1,476 posts
  • Interests:Basically like to play games, spend time on the computer browsing teh intratubes. IRL I like to play baseball and enjoy spending time with my pals, sounds swell don't it?
  • Gamer Army ID:1466
Very highly doubt it, I had a discussion about it last year in my History class, and it was calculated that because the Mayan calendar was off compared to nowadays that it won't even happen on 2012. I don't think the Mayans are really that accountable. Like sure they were a good civilization for the time, but to predict the end of the Earth, give me a break.

Brenner

Brenner
  • GA Sergeant
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:pwning n00bs
  • Steam ID:RedElite14
  • Xbox / GFWL:Brenner14
  • PSN:RBrenner
  • Wii:7811616637693823
  • Gamer Army ID:101
O NOEZ TEH END OF TEH WURLD!!!!!1111@@!@2232one!!1

Honestly, I don't see who could lend the Mayans any credibility. There is no evidence to support the world will end in 2012, as far as I know at least.

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
Why should their word hold stronger than the other million cults who think the world is going to end every day?

Muad'dib

Muad'dib

Oct 2007 - Mario Kart DS Tournament winner or something

• Members
  • 2,124 posts
  • Interests:CS, console gaming, basketball, movies.
  • Xbox / GFWL:anucadivad
  • Wii:5446973000736267
No. Now grow some balls and quit worrying about it.

G'kar

G'kar
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Interests:Film/Sci-fi/Writting.
No. People keep pushing the "world is going to end" date foward because it never actually does end. If you really want the world to end just go get a gun and shoot yourself. Otherwise, be happy that you're alive at all. The world could end any day, any second. It hasn't, and it won't anytime soon.
IPB Image

"Everything is everywhere during every instance in time... and that, is the universe.
It is both finite and infinite, and it alone contains things beyond our capability to understand."

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
OMG, WE'RE FUCKED!

But seriously. One of the main reasons that the Maian calendar is thought to stop where it does is that they were wiped out before they could extend it further.
IPB Image

noghriassasin

noghriassasin
  • Members
  • 676 posts
  • xfire:superfreak7
I can imagine like the mayan calendar makers.

Guy 1: O crap we ran out of ink go get some more.
Guy 2: Screw that I'm getting lunch.
Guy 1: K, I'll come with you.

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
QUOTE (noghriassasin @ Jan 10 2007, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can imagine like the mayan calendar makers.

*Little did Karl know his laziness would be interpreted so extremely...*
IPB Image

z0mbie priest

z0mbie priest
  • Members
  • 305 posts
  • xfire:darrien1245
  • Interests:Any up-beat FPS on the box or comp...except for 2142 ewww..and also MMO's i hate em but I love em ^^ I also get into a RTS mood every now and then
  • Xbox / GFWL:Tonac00
  • PSN:L2SELL4LESS
Yea I thought of this a little too....it got me thinking b/c wasnt there calendar more accurate than ours? but after thinking this ive decided it probaly wouldnt happen b/c mayans were intelligent but not super powered in all ways of knowledge it was an interesting thing to think about though

noghriassasin

noghriassasin
  • Members
  • 676 posts
  • xfire:superfreak7
Or more like
Guy 1: Let's go do the year 2012
Guy 2: The spanish are coming
*Guys get killed*

Luther_Vespers

Luther_Vespers
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • xfire:luthervespers
  • Interests:Computers, Guitar, Music in general
The Mayans were a highly advanced civilization for their time, but I don't think this claim has much scientific evidence to support it.

Karko

Karko
  • Members
  • 3,034 posts
nogh I lol'd xD

I can see it happening like that xD

Second. Worst. Signature. Ever.
Expecting something witty? Herp derp tiddlerp.

G³ Molotov

G³ Molotov
  • GA Private
  • 430 posts
  • Steam ID:/id/universalcynic (PM me if you add me. I ignore a lot of steam invites.)
  • Gamer Army ID:1367
QUOTE (Peon_You @ Jan 10 2007, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So in 2012 apparently the solar system is supposed to come to a stand still according to myan calenders thats where time ends so do u guys think ti will happen????????????? discuss.

Actually it never says the solar system comes to a standstill, rather all the objects in our solar system are alligned with the earth.
They also never said anything about time ending, their calendar stops and doesn't continue beyond that point, more than likely believing at that point, time will be an obsolete concept.
More likely than the end of the world, I'd say the beginning of the next step in human evolution is much more feasible.
Though I don't necessarily believe it, I am interested by it and the possibilities, but if it does or doesn't happen won't matter until that day, which is calculated (probably inacurately) to be the 21st of december.

*fixed typo
-Signed with a rag and a match. Here, catch.

The_Zooloo_Master

The_Zooloo_Master
  • Members
  • 912 posts
  • xfire:thezooloomaster
  • Interests:Entertainment,____, watching pure pwnage, pwning noobs, philosophy.
I can't be bothered to check this stuff out again, but I do remember a few things... at least...

Well anyway, I seem to remember hearing about the return of Quetzalcoatl at that date.
In addition, many people have tried to link the transit of Venus -- a rare occurrence that takes place once or time a century to this apocalypse.
But I understood all this as to simply be the end of one cycle and the beginning of another one, on the 21st of December. In any case, whatever the whole story is, I dont believe anything special will happen on that date.

Me being pedantic:

I can imagine like the Mayan calendar makers.

That is, like, stupid 'cause they carved their calendar in stone. They did not have paper.
"If I continue with this shit I'm going to end up in jail, in a hospital, or dead. Or all 3." -- Joby

ST1DinOH

ST1DinOH

Master Debater 08

• Members
  • 7,272 posts
  • Interests:fireworks, weed,
it appears no one so far has read much about the mayans

QUOTE (teh_raperer @ Jan 10 2007, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very highly doubt it, I had a discussion about it last year in my History class, and it was calculated that because the Mayan calendar was off compared to nowadays that it won't even happen on 2012. I don't think the Mayans are really that accountable. Like sure they were a good civilization for the time, but to predict the end of the Earth, give me a break.

your history class was wrong....read below and you'll see how crazy accurate they've been...as in never wrong

QUOTE (RBrenner14 @ Jan 10 2007, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
O NOEZ TEH END OF TEH WURLD!!!!!1111@@!@2232one!!1

Honestly, I don't see who could lend the Mayans any credibility. There is no evidence to support the world will end in 2012, as far as I know at least.

read below for why the mayans deserve some respect....i'll provide some "evidence" (all what if's basicly but just odd how they all coincide)

QUOTE (Pawnator @ Jan 10 2007, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why should their word hold stronger than the other million cults who think the world is going to end every day?

thier calindrical system is still accurate to this day dispite being thousands of years old.

QUOTE (Muad'dib @ Jan 10 2007, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. Now grow some balls and quit worrying about it.

well said....bravo....quite the contribution there...

QUOTE (G'kar @ Jan 10 2007, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. People keep pushing the "world is going to end" date foward because it never actually does end. If you really want the world to end just go get a gun and shoot yourself. Otherwise, be happy that you're alive at all. The world could end any day, any second. It hasn't, and it won't anytime soon.

well these guys haven't changed thier date at all (cause they are dead...gg spain). many dates have come and gone but this one has been around for a long time, and every single one of thier other predictions have come to pass.

QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Jan 10 2007, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG, WE'RE FUCKED!

But seriously. One of the main reasons that the Maian calendar is thought to stop where it does is that they were wiped out before they could extend it further.

read below

QUOTE (z0mbie priest @ Jan 10 2007, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea I thought of this a little too....it got me thinking b/c wasnt there calendar more accurate than ours? but after thinking this ive decided it probaly wouldnt happen b/c mayans were intelligent but not super powered in all ways of knowledge it was an interesting thing to think about though

yeah they have predicted just about everything astronomical since the calendars conception (other than passing meteorites from far out)

QUOTE (Luther_Vespers @ Jan 11 2007, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Mayans were a highly advanced civilization for their time, but I don't think this claim has much scientific evidence to support it.

give this a read and it might just change your mind....

for starters the mayans were an uber advanced civilization

read
Maya Civilization, an ancient Native American culture that represented one of the most advanced civilizations in the western hemisphere before the arrival of Europeans. The people known as the Maya lived in the region that is now eastern and southern Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, and western Honduras. They thrived for more than 2,000 years. The Maya built massive stone pyramids, temples, and sculpture; developed a system of writing using hieroglyphs; and recorded their achievements in mathematics and astronomy. Archaeologists long believed that Maya culture reached its highest development from about ad 300 to 900, during what is known as the Classic period. Recent discoveries in northern Guatemala, however, have challenged that assumption. There, archaeologists have found highly developed cities, sophisticated art, and examples of Maya writing that date from as early as 600 years before the Classic period began.

During the Preclassic period the basic patterns of ancient Maya life were established. However, the period was not simply a rehearsal for the Classic period but a time of spectacular achievements. For example, enormous pyramids were constructed at the site of El Mirador, in the lowlands of Guatemala. These pyramids are among the largest constructions in the ancient Maya world. By about 500 bc El Mirador was a major population center that served as the seat of a powerful chiefdom. Pyramids also were built on large plazas at Cival, a royal metropolis near Tikal in Guatemala. Cival probably had 10,000 inhabitants.

Under the direction of their kings, who also performed as priests, the centers of the lowland Maya became densely populated jungle cities with vast stone and masonry temple and palace complexes. The core area of Tikal, for example, covered about 9 sq km (about 3 sq mi) and included about 2700 structures with an estimated population of 11,300. The total area of Tikal, including the core, peripheral, and rural areas, is estimated at 314 sq km (121 sq mi) with an estimated population of 92,000.

Under the direction of their kings, who also performed as priests, the centers of the lowland Maya became densely populated jungle cities with vast stone and masonry temple and palace complexes. The core area of Tikal, for example, covered about 9 sq km (about 3 sq mi) and included about 2700 structures with an estimated population of 11,300. The total area of Tikal, including the core, peripheral, and rural areas, is estimated at 314 sq km (121 sq mi) with an estimated population of 92,000.

The Maya developed a complex system of hieroglyphic writing to record not only astronomical observations and calendrical calculations, but also historical and genealogical information. Many recent advances have occurred in the decipherment of the Mayan script. These breakthroughs made it possible to conclude that Mayan hieroglyphs were a mixture of glyphs that represent complete words and glyphs that represent sounds, which were combined to form complete words. Scribes carved hieroglyphs on stone stelae, altars, wooden lintels, and roof beams, or painted them on ceramic vessels and in books made of bark paper. Discoveries reported early in 2006 indicate that the Maya were writing more than 2,300 years ago, at least 600 years earlier than previously thought.

Chichn Itz was a very large city with a central area covering about 5 sq km (2 sq mi). Its architecture shows the introduction of columns, wider rooms and doorways, and sloping zones around the base of the buildings. The core area includes numerous temples and ball courts, one of which is the largest known in Mesoamerica. One distinctive structure of the city is a round temple that functioned as an observatory.

here's a link to the wiki page where you can read all about thier advanced civilization that inhabbited and built one of the largest cities in the americas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chich%C3%A9n_Itz%C3%A1

look at these pics....these people were fucking amazing....all this without the use of metal or the wheel....just stones, ropes, and mud.

these people invented thier own type of concrete using limestone by first burning, then crushing, and mixing with water....they used this to build things like pyramids

a ballcourt that you can hear a wisper from one end to the other despite it's incredible length and open "roof"

Observatories

many, many temples just as impressive

even roads paved by the concrete mix they used which still stand today

there are even claims that the mayans created the largest suspension bridge in the world at one point when they spanned the river outside of Chichn Itz to connect the temple city to the farmlands so they could stop worrying about the often flooded and violent currents.

they were an amazing people and i'd hope after this post you guys will at least find an interest in thier accomplishments

they did some amazing shit, like that ballcourt up there acoustical engineers are fucking dumbfounded to understand how the hell an open air court with a grass floor is able to transmit a wisper from one end to the other and the person be able to hear it perfectly

other evidence of strange knowledge of sound can be found in thier main pyramid (pictured above), a person can stand at the base of that pyramid, clap thier hands, and the echo sounds like a bird...

not just any bird....but the pyramid chirps back in the voice of the sacred quetzal bird, a bird that the mayana consider a religious idol because it resembles thier god quetzalquatal a long feathered bird that looks like a flying searpent

wanna here it.....click this

http://www.acoustics.org/press/136th/c2a.wav

now on to the calendar.........

the winter solstice of 2012 marks the end of the mayan long count calendar completes its thirteenth b'ak'tun (baktun) cycle. in the mayan belief system this sybolises the end or the transition from the current Creation world into the next.

here's the wiki link to the mayan calendar page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar

i'll paraphrase a bit just to snip the relavet parts.

first and foremost thier calendrical system dates back to the 6 thousand BC. the mayans claim thier knowledge of the calendar was given to them by the diety Itzamna.

here's the explination of the basic short cycles used in the system

The most important of these calendars is one with a period of 260 days. This 260-day calendar was prevalent across all Mesoamerican societies, and is of great antiquity (almost certainly the oldest of the calendars). It is still used in some regions of Oaxaca, and amongst the Maya communities of the Guatemalan highlands. The Maya version is commonly known to scholars as the Tzolkin, or Tzolk'in in the revised orthography of the Academia de las Lenguas Mayas de Guatemala[2]. The Tzolk'in combined with another 365-day calendar (known as the Haab, or Haab' ), to form a synchronised cycle lasting for 52 Haabs, called the Calendar Round. Smaller cycles of 13 days (the trecena) and 20 days (the veintena) were important components of the Tzolk'in and Haab' cycles, respectively.

the mayans not only are acredited as one of the first civilizations to keep accurate record of the earths path around the sun, but they also kept a record of the moon, and venus. thier entire system was based on observation of natural cycles and phenomenon. everything they wrote about (thier past, present, and future) was based on what they learned by looking up, and all around. one of the first civilizations to develop such an in depth understanding of things outside of earth. thier 365 day running count calendar (the haab) even accounted for the extra day every 4 (leap year)

the mayans held strong ties to the ends of each baktun cycle, they would commemorate these period endings by building twin pyramid monuments. they also built thier capital cities main pyramid complex to coincide with the summer and winter solstice (more on that later).

ok so here's what's most important....

the mayans never said the world would end...they said 2012 was a time of rebirth....a time of major change

according to the indigenous still practicing mayans who adhere to the religion (Quich Maya) they believe we are living in the 5th age/era/world. they believed that the 4 previous ages were gods failed attempts at making the world, the 5th was suitable for man....kinda like a temporary shelter for us to live in whiel he prepares to build us a new one (or so some believe...other fringe aspects of the following believe in more dire results of the end of the 5th age *see below*).

so the point is that nobody...not even the mayans know what the hell is really gonna happen....but many have predicited all kinds of shit...

everything from pole flops, to astral alignments, to a spiritual assention

IMO i think man kind will freak out starting about 2009, and getting worse by the day till 2013....it'll be 1000x worse than Y2K

a small part of me gives creedence to the numerous predictions and funny stuff that will be going on around that time....and only because the mayan calendar has never been off. they stopped writing the calendar long before the spanish murdered them in the name of thier religion and greed.

but the other parts of me know to just use it as an excuse to get as far away from major cities as possible before that date arrives. as stupid as people are i'll bet money on massive mayhem and anarchy in the days/weeks/months leading up to 12/21/2012. building a house in the middle of nowhere and having a generator and lots of food/water is never a bad idea.

either way i'm covered

*here's a list of stuff leading up to the winter solstice in the year 2012 that we know about for sure.

January 31 - 433 Eros, the second largest Near Earth Object on record (size 13x13x33 km) is expected to pass Earth at 0.1790 astronomical units (~16.647 Million Miles) (1 AU = ~93 million miles) (1AU = the average distance from Earth to the sun). NASA studied Eros in the NEAR Shoemaker probe launched February 2000.

some point to it being odd that there are 2 eclipses in 2012...May 20 - Annular solar eclipse, a Sunday and November 13 - Total solar eclipse (visible in northern Australia and the South Pacific)

December 21 - The Long Count calendar used by the Maya civilization of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica completes its thirteenth b'ak'tun cycle since the calendar's starting point (equivalent to 3114 BCE August 11 in the proleptic Gregorian calendar, according to the "GMT-correlation" JDN= 584283).

*here's some books written about 2012

The 1995 book The Mayan Prophecies linked the Maya calendar with long-period sunspot cycles.

The book 2012:Mayan Year of Destiny claims the Maya may have been instructed in their wisdom by discarnate entities from Orion and the Pleiades. Contact was maintained through shamanic rituals conducted in accordance with the movements of planets and stars.

The 1997 book The Bible Code claims that, according to certain algorithms of the Bible code, a meteor, asteroid or comet will collide with the Earth.

The book The Nostradamus Code speaks of a series of natural disasters caused by a comet (possibly as above) which will allow the third anti-christ to disperse his troops around the globe under the guise of aid in preparation for a nuclear war.

The book The Orion Prophecy claims that the Earth's magnetic field will reverse.

The 2006 book 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl by Daniel Pinchbeck discusses theories of a possible global awakening to psychic connection by the year 2012, creating a Noosphere. It also discusses many other aspects of the 2012 phenomenon from a neutral perspective.

*here's some other predictions for 2012 from the wiki page on it...

Other prophecies and apopolyptic writings and hypotheses for this year include:

Terence McKenna's mathematical novelty theory predicts a point of singularity in which humankind will go through a great shift in consciousness.

The Prophecy of the Popes, attributed to Saint Malachy, speculated that Pope Benedict XVI would reign during the beginning of the tribulation of which Jesus spoke, and sometime later a future pope described in the prophecy as "Peter the Roman", the last in this prophetic list, would appear, bringing as a result the destruction of the city of Rome and the Last Judgement.

Many new age spiritualists and philosophers ("new-agers") believe humankind will enter an age of enlightenment in 2012.[citation needed] There are a range of varying, generally positive, beliefs shared by a subset of spiritualists from the mundane to exceptional -- including a positive social shift and age of peace, mankind becoming psychic and connected by a collective, and/or an evolution of the human race into non-corporeal beings made of "spiritual" energy, or light energy.[citation needed] An alternative view is that we are already thought-forms (see also idealism) and will be realizing our true selves in this year

Some alien-enthusiasts, along with some new-agers, believe 2012 to correspond approximately with the return of alien "watchers" or "caretakers" who might have helped the first human civilizations with developing their technology and may have been waiting for us to reach a higher level of technological and/or social advancement.[citation needed] Beliefs range from the extra-terrestrials having benevolent purposes -- such as to help human society evolve -- to malevolent purposes -- such as enslavement of mankind and/or manipulation

The ascetic Buddhist monk Ram Bahadur Bomjon reportedly told his followers that he will return around 2012.

Some proponents of a peak oil catastrophe place major events in 2012. Richard C. Duncan's book The Peak of World Oil Production and the Road To The Olduvai Gorge claims that the Olduvai cliff will begin and permanent blackouts will occur worldwide. Several studies predict a peak in oil production in or around 2012. [8] [9] [10]

Self-proclaimed time traveller John Titor predicts that a catastrophic event "similar to the parting of the Red Sea" will occur

and last but not least for you "bible coders" out there....The 1997 book The Bible Code claims that, according to certain algorithms of the Bible code, a meteor, asteroid or comet will collide with the Earth

Karko

Karko
  • Members
  • 3,034 posts
st1dinoh very good post icon_razz.gif

i dont really see how discussion can go from here since you more or less king hit it heh

and the part about rebirth instead of a simple end more or less destroys any chance of a reasonable resistance without first finding a basis to tear apart the mayan view on the subject (there probably is one.. but.. ive drunk too much to bother checking heh.. xD)

Second. Worst. Signature. Ever.
Expecting something witty? Herp derp tiddlerp.

G'kar

G'kar
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Interests:Film/Sci-fi/Writting.
well these guys haven't changed thier date at all (cause they are dead...gg spain). many dates have come and gone but this one has been around for a long time, and every single one of thier other predictions have come to pass.

Oh please. People who MAKE the dates aren't the ones changing them , it's the ones believing in it. Once 2012 comes and passess, people will change the date once again. Nostromous predicted the world was going to end in the year 3000 something... and he's also a load of bullshit. He's been around for 500 years and that dates never changed either. It doesn't matter how long the dates been around, the mayans died out they never had a chance to change ite ven if they wanted to. Other predictions have come to pass because they already happend. Not all of them have happend. This is just another silly prediction, you're a fool if you actually believe it.
IPB Image

"Everything is everywhere during every instance in time... and that, is the universe.
It is both finite and infinite, and it alone contains things beyond our capability to understand."

Shr3dd3r

Shr3dd3r
  • GA Private
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:Your mom.
  • Gamer Army ID:258
Just like that huge meteor was supposed to hit the earth in what? 2002?

Now there's some more junk about another one in 2029

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users