Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

game movies!?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Gillz

Gillz
  • GA Private
  • 4,794 posts
  • Interests:Now we removed everything on your profile since ya wanna multi-account more. :P
  • Gamer Army ID:67
Video Game Movies Suck

I'm sorry, I just had to say it.

avalanchemike

avalanchemike
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • xfire:avalanchemike
I have to agree with the statement above. I have not seen a impressive Video Game movie, yet. Like there are some good ones, but the fact is they will never compare to actually playing the games.

gamer61

gamer61
  • Members
  • 65 posts
  • xfire:saint4eva
  • Interests:guitars/gaes/music/games/forums/games
QUOTE (avalanchemike @ Jan 10 2007, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to agree with the statement above. I have not seen a impressive Video Game movie, yet. Like there are some good ones, but the fact is they will never compare to actually playing the games.

i agree but im like

i adore movies and watch alot of movies atleast 5 movies a week [ones that i havent seen]

and tbh i think the resident evil mocies rawk lol doom was ok but not at all as good as the game

and spirits within was good [yes. i acturaly liked it]

but imo i reckon a hl then a hl2 movie wud pretty much PWN gr8 story lines & such but people would have to remember thet they arnt playing the game and trhat its a movie and theres only so much you can do in a movie.. unless they made it like 3d anaimated [i.e spirits within]?
QUOTE(sumflip @ Jan 9 2007, 09:09 AM) View Post

*accepts the manly hug*

Champski

Champski
  • Members
  • 1,241 posts
  • xfire:champski
  • Interests:drumming, gaming, lazing around
I always have thought making the hl1 and 2 movies would pwn hardcore but rather than get actors, do the whole thing in cg like final fantasy and keep it in first person. Think about watching a movie in the cinemas that's first person, it's like being in a simulator the whole time. I think it would bring the series to a new level of immersion. I think halo would be much better off in just cg too, I was bummed when I heard there would be actors, but the whole things just my opinion.

ArKonIte

ArKonIte
  • GA Corporal
  • 4,622 posts
  • xfire:arkonite
  • Interests:Guitars, Gaming, Music
  • PSN:ArKonIte167
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:167
  • Company:Alpha
cool beans

But I pretty much know how the Halo movie will end cuz I wrapped the game on each difficulty like 5 times (except legendary.. only once but i could do it 4 more times icon_razz.gif)

G'kar

G'kar
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Interests:Film/Sci-fi/Writting.
QUOTE (ArKonIte @ Jan 10 2007, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool beans

But I pretty much know how the Halo movie will end cuz I wrapped the game on each difficulty like 5 times (except legendary.. only once but i could do it 4 more times icon_razz.gif)

No offense to halo fanboys, but I think a halo movie is a really silly idea. First of all it's story is just kind of a frankenstein of science fiction, and second of all it's hero has hardly any dialog - and well, the aliens (especially grunts) are just plain Jeddy looking and would be stupid to see in live action. A halo animated movie might be okay - though that wouldn't help the lame overdone story at all.
IPB Image

"Everything is everywhere during every instance in time... and that, is the universe.
It is both finite and infinite, and it alone contains things beyond our capability to understand."

Seizure

Seizure
  • Members
  • 389 posts
  • xfire:seizureexplosion
A halo movie would probably turn out a lot like Riddick- no real value as a story, but entertaining in that particular action movie way. I'd be especially be impressed if Master Chief were to kill a man with his teacup.

gamer61

gamer61
  • Members
  • 65 posts
QUOTE (Seizure @ Jan 11 2007, 03:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A halo movie would probably turn out a lot like Riddick- no real value as a story, but entertaining in that particular action movie way. I'd be especially be impressed if Master Chief were to kill a man with his teacup.

hahahaha!!

that made my day !

but a halo movie is scedueled [cant spell..] to happen check imdb..

its being done with actors as far as i know and well yeah!

personaly i think they should make a red vs blue movie!!
coz imo that is the best series of all time! <<< except pure pwnage ofcourse

*accepts the manly hug*

G'kar

G'kar
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
QUOTE (gamer61 @ Jan 11 2007, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hahahaha!!

that made my day !
but a halo movie is scedueled [cant spell..] to happen check imdb..

its being done with actors as far as i know and well yeah!

personaly i think they should make a red vs blue movie!!
coz imo that is the best series of all time! <<< except pure pwnage ofcourse

No it's not - it got cancelled. Or er, 'indefinitely postponed' which is the same as being cancelled. I hope this movie doesn't ever see the light of day personally, not only would a Halo movie suck as a DIRECT adaptation, but try to imagine how horrible it'd be once hollywood-ized?

By the way.. all movies are made with actors.
IPB Image

"Everything is everywhere during every instance in time... and that, is the universe.
It is both finite and infinite, and it alone contains things beyond our capability to understand."

solid_khaos01

solid_khaos01
  • Members
  • 16 posts
mgs movie is going to be awesome, they r supposed to use david hayters voice but maybe a cgi or another actor<F-ing hard>
i wonder whaich one they are going to do 1,2, or 3?
it probaably will be 1+2 together as thay are fairly short...but i want a mgs3 movie!!!

Pwnage101

Pwnage101
  • GA Sergeant
  • 2,133 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:1080
  • Company:Alpha
Dud a fucking halo movie would be sweet if they did it through the time line from fall of reach to the end of halo 3

G'kar

G'kar
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
QUOTE (solid_khaos01 @ Jan 11 2007, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mgs movie is going to be awesome, they r supposed to use david hayters voice but maybe a cgi or another actor<F-ing hard>
i wonder whaich one they are going to do 1,2, or 3?
it probaably will be 1+2 together as thay are fairly short...but i want a mgs3 movie!!!

Seriously, they ARE actually making one? If it's not a Hollywood screwed-over movie, it'd kick ass!

By the way, if a halo movie was done line from line it'd be a very boring movie as it'd have very little dialog, the main character says shit. Not to mention that all the other characters have really boring, typical talk to add to the boring, typical, frankenstein plot. Bungie literally cut and pasted sci-fi books and movies together to create Halo... and it reeks of rotting flesh that was just duck taped together.

PS: I'm not saying nobody would like a Halo movie, i'm saying my opinion on it first and formost, however, the fact that bungie ripped up some sci-fi books and movies and put them together is NOT an opinon, but a fact.. and it annoys me a lot because little kids whom don't apperciate sci-fi in the least give them credit for making it all on their own, when they clearly did did not.
IPB Image

gamer61

gamer61
  • Members
  • 65 posts
QUOTE (G'kar @ Jan 11 2007, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously, they ARE actually making one? If it's not a Hollywood screwed-over movie, it'd kick ass!

By the way, if a halo movie was done line from line it'd be a very boring movie as it'd have very little dialog, the main character says shit. Not to mention that all the other characters have really boring, typical talk to add to the boring, typical, frankenstein plot. Bungie literally cut and pasted sci-fi books and movies together to create Halo... and it reeks of rotting flesh that was just duck taped together.

PS: I'm not saying nobody would like a Halo movie, i'm saying my opinion on it first and formost, however, the fact that bungie ripped up some sci-fi books and movies and put them together is NOT an opinon, but a fact.. and it annoys me a lot because little kids whom don't apperciate sci-fi in the least give them credit for making it all on their own, when they clearly did did not.

ok.

for starters its hard to do anything sci-fi and completely original !

the whole space thing has been done so many times along with the whole alien vs human thing but..

i would love to see a halo movie!

like the game in some respects but with more dialog and a different ending like open for a sequal !

the above aside

a hl movie would completely rip halo apart !

it has plenty of dialog and a solid and fairly original story line BUT i dont think it should be done liek the games..

i think it should be about the same thing with the same story line but with different scenarios and such i mean the game was amazing all that i have played of hl but you dont copy a game exact for a movie..

and G'kar some hollywood-if-y-cation would be ok just dont screw it over like they did doom

*accepts the manly hug*

G'kar

G'kar
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
QUOTE (gamer61 @ Jan 11 2007, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok.
for starters its hard to do anything sci-fi and completely original !

No.. it's not. If you're not a writer, it may seem that way.

the whole space thing has been done so many times along with the whole alien vs human thing but..

i would love to see a halo movie!

If you think space and aliens vs humans is all halo copied, you're dead wrong. They've went in and literally taken specific elements from various books and movies and put them together. Space is the future of everything, setting a movie in space and calling it un-orginal is like setting a movie on earth and calling it un-orginal. It just doesn't make sense. Same with aliens, it'd be like putting animals in a movie and saying it's hard to do anything with animals because they've been in to many movies. Halo's fault isn't this it's the fact that it actually took pieces, plot pieces, character pieces, themes, everything but the music and put it into a monster.

like the game in some respects but with more dialog and a different ending like open for a sequal !
the above aside

a hl movie would completely rip halo apart !

it has plenty of dialog and a solid and fairly original story line BUT i dont think it should be done liek the games..

Are you talking about Half life or Halo? Halo does not, even remotly, have an orginal storyline... it has hardly any dialog, and crappy dialog when it does have some.

i think it should be about the same thing with the same story line but with different scenarios and such i mean the game was amazing all that i have played of hl but you dont copy a game exact for a movie..
and G'kar some hollywood-if-y-cation would be ok just dont screw it over like they did doom

Hollywood SUCKS. It's okay to make changes to certian aspects, as you have to, but Hollywoodizing a movie is just NEVER the right thing to do. NO hollywood elements are good for almost any movie. (There are very vrey few expections, halo is not one of htem.)
IPB Image

gamer61

gamer61
  • Members
  • 65 posts
QUOTE (G'kar @ Jan 12 2007, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No.. it's not. If you're not a writer, it may seem that way.
If you think space and aliens vs humans is all halo copied, you're dead wrong. They've went in and literally taken specific elements from various books and movies and put them together. Space is the future of everything, setting a movie in space and calling it un-orginal is like setting a movie on earth and calling it un-orginal. It just doesn't make sense. Same with aliens, it'd be like putting animals in a movie and saying it's hard to do anything with animals because they've been in to many movies. Halo's fault isn't this it's the fact that it actually took pieces, plot pieces, character pieces, themes, everything but the music and put it into a monster.
Are you talking about Half life or Halo? Halo does not, even remotly, have an orginal storyline... it has hardly any dialog, and crappy dialog when it does have some.
Hollywood SUCKS. It's okay to make changes to certian aspects, as you have to, but Hollywoodizing a movie is just NEVER the right thing to do. NO hollywood elements are good for almost any movie. (There are very vrey few expections, halo is not one of htem.)

was talking about half life

&

please dont present your opinons as fact? as theyre opinions, not fact lol

imo a halo movie wud be okay.

in your opinion halo must die along with its creators and the devil spawn of a script it has. but thats ur opinion =]

what i meant by the originality thing was like ..

all movies are really the same.

equilibrium/bad happening/undoing of the bad/equilibrium if you get me?

n the space thing what i meant is there isnt really anything that i can think of that hasnt been done with space and used in a movie i mean you have the entire star treck series and all of the star wars films and stuff like star ship troopers and so on..

but imo there isnt much difference between them?

i loved the halo game tbh and i would like a halo movie but i think a half life movie would work alot better and it would keep the anti halo comunity happy i guess lol.

*accepts the manly hug*

G'kar

G'kar
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
QUOTE (gamer61 @ Jan 12 2007, 05:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
was talking about half life

&

please dont present your opinons as fact? as theyre opinions, not fact lol

imo a halo movie wud be okay.

in your opinion halo must die along with its creators and the devil spawn of a script it has. but thats ur opinion =]

what i meant by the originality thing was like ..

all movies are really the same.

equilibrium/bad happening/undoing of the bad/equilibrium if you get me?

n the space thing what i meant is there isnt really anything that i can think of that hasnt been done with space and used in a movie i mean you have the entire star treck series and all of the star wars films and stuff like star ship troopers and so on..

but imo there isnt much difference between them?
i loved the halo game tbh and i would like a halo movie but i think a half life movie would work alot better and it would keep the anti halo comunity happy i guess lol.

I'm not presenting my opinion as a fact.

Opinion: A halo movie would suck.

Fact: Halo's story is a big rip off... a Frankenstein of science fiction.

If you honestly believe there's 'nothing left to do in space' then you believe that no movies have anything left to do, because for your information Earth is in space. Space and everything in it above and beyond our planet is infinitely bigger then our puny little planet, there is more that can take place off-earth then there is on earth. If you can't see this then please, take a science class, astronomy preferably. There are infinite possibilities of UNIQUE, ORGINAL, NON-HOLLYWOOD stories that can take place in just our solar system (not including those on Earth) alone.

Your comment about all movies being the same is dead wrong as well. A movies core, writing, is no different then a book. ANYTHING can happen, in ANY order, in ANY way. All HOLLYWOOD movies are the same, but that's understandable because Hollywood is a piece of crap. You should open your mind more, and watch more foreign/independent films. Halo 1's multilayer was OKAY. The reason it did so well is another debate all together, which I won't get into now... but being 'original' was not why it did well - because it wasn't. It's story was a rip off of great sci-fi books and movies, that is a FACT. If you understood sci-fi you would understand the hatred for such a thing, just as Pure Pwnage fans hate things like FPS jimmy and other various PP rip offs, I as not only a sci-fi fan, but writer, am insulted by Halo - especially because so many treat it as if it's original. It's not. There are so many more reasons why a Halo movie would suck, but that all boils down to opinion. The fact that it's a big rip off will not change. As I already said, some people will like it. Most of those people are ignorant to what Halo really is. Some of them really like stupid sci-fi cliches, that's their opinion, I think they are boring and lame. Reason I don't want a Halo movie made is because I don't want Hollywood to think that sci-fi cliches and rip offs are what people want. If they think that, we'll be seeing them for the next 15 years, which trust me, you don't want. Original is what you want to see, NOT the same old over and over, which is what Halo is.

By the way: I never said I wish anyone would die. I wouldn't even wish for those who wrote Halo to stop writing, if it's their craft that they really love. I WOULD however, wish for them to write and create things of their own, rather then let all these various influences direct them to writing a combination of them all. I never said they did it intentionally, but they did do it. If I could get the chance to help them, I would. I don't think that anyone should die, be harmed, or even stop doing what they love, but I think they should re-focus themselves to doing whats in their soul, not someone else's.
IPB Image

Bev

Bev
  • Members
  • 86 posts
  • xfire:dunasmelly
Video Game Movies?

Mortal Kombat, nuff said.

I generally hate video game movies, I'm still trying to wipe bad memories of A v P, Resident Evil, and Doom from my mind. But Mortal Kombat came at just the right time in the mid 90's to get away with being campy, crappy fun. Just like the first Tomb Raider movie, if you're gunna base a movie off a silly premise, it helps if the movie doesn't take itself too seriously. On the other hand, some people take a serious video game, and don't take enough care with creating a fine movie.

There is a difference between a video game adaptation, and a video game movie. The sooner direcotrs realise it is possible to take a video games story and turn it into a quality movie, or (if the game is silly) have fun with it, the better. It just seems that move often than not, bad descisions are almost always made somewhere down the line.

The only movie in recent times I felt has broken away from just being a video game movie, was Silent Hill. I know it's generally hated, but maybe because I had such low expectations I came away from that film feeling like they had done something right.

Then again there is the argument that some games should be left alone. Many games nowdays are so rich and complex, so cinematically laid out that they don't need to be made into movies. They are movies, interactive movies with far better plots, characters and writing than even Hollywood can come up with anymore.

Sometimes I just don't understand why Movies must be the end of the road for everything. Books, comics, games, they cannot be left alone until they are a movie, as if movies are somehow a far supirior medium than anything else and something just isn't good enough until it's up there on the silver screen. Don't get me wrong, I love movies, but if someone had such an amazing story that they wanted to tell, and they chose to make it a video game rather than a movie, why does someone else think that it cannot just end there?...

gamer61

gamer61
  • Members
  • 65 posts
QUOTE (G'kar @ Jan 12 2007, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not presenting my opinion as a fact.

Opinion: A halo movie would suck.

Fact: Halo's story is a big rip off... a Frankenstein of science fiction.

If you honestly believe there's 'nothing left to do in space' then you believe that no movies have anything left to do, because for your information Earth is in space. Space and everything in it above and beyond our planet is infinitely bigger then our puny little planet, there is more that can take place off-earth then there is on earth. If you can't see this then please, take a science class, astronomy preferably. There are infinite possibilities of UNIQUE, ORGINAL, NON-HOLLYWOOD stories that can take place in just our solar system (not including those on Earth) alone.

Your comment about all movies being the same is dead wrong as well. A movies core, writing, is no different then a book. ANYTHING can happen, in ANY order, in ANY way. All HOLLYWOOD movies are the same, but that's understandable because Hollywood is a piece of crap. You should open your mind more, and watch more foreign/independent films. Halo 1's multilayer was OKAY. The reason it did so well is another debate all together, which I won't get into now... but being 'original' was not why it did well - because it wasn't. It's story was a rip off of great sci-fi books and movies, that is a FACT. If you understood sci-fi you would understand the hatred for such a thing, just as Pure Pwnage fans hate things like FPS jimmy and other various PP rip offs, I as not only a sci-fi fan, but writer, am insulted by Halo - especially because so many treat it as if it's original. It's not. There are so many more reasons why a Halo movie would suck, but that all boils down to opinion. The fact that it's a big rip off will not change. As I already said, some people will like it. Most of those people are ignorant to what Halo really is. Some of them really like stupid sci-fi cliches, that's their opinion, I think they are boring and lame. Reason I don't want a Halo movie made is because I don't want Hollywood to think that sci-fi cliches and rip offs are what people want. If they think that, we'll be seeing them for the next 15 years, which trust me, you don't want. Original is what you want to see, NOT the same old over and over, which is what Halo is.

By the way: I never said I wish anyone would die. I wouldn't even wish for those who wrote Halo to stop writing, if it's their craft that they really love. I WOULD however, wish for them to write and create things of their own, rather then let all these various influences direct them to writing a combination of them all. I never said they did it intentionally, but they did do it. If I could get the chance to help them, I would. I don't think that anyone should die, be harmed, or even stop doing what they love, but I think they should re-focus themselves to doing whats in their soul, not someone else's.

it was an overstatement, as in i exagerated your opinion lol.

but first off i must say..

imo i think a halo movie would be koo/enjoyable BUT its not really down to the original script writers of the game and such.

a halo movie would have different people for everything i guess and its really what they make out of it !

tbh i think halo has alot of potential to be a gr8 movie.. but atm its a game and not a movie and untill the movie is made or w.e we cant really comment on the originality of it.. can we?

*accepts the manly hug*

G'kar

G'kar
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
QUOTE (gamer61 @ Jan 12 2007, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b]
it was an overstatement, as in i exagerated your opinion lol.
but first off i must say..
imo i think a halo movie would be koo/enjoyable BUT its not really down to the original script writers of the game and such.
a halo movie would have different people for everything i guess and its really what they make out of it !

tbh i think halo has alot of potential to be a gr8 movie.. but atm its a game and not a movie and untill the movie is made or w.e we cant really comment on the originality of it.. can we?

Well, I agree that it could be FUN, but I don't want to see a movie, especially a sci-fi, JUST to have fun. That's only half of it... and I have LESS fun when I'm watching something that's merely a collage of science fiction. I don't think it has the potential to be a great movie simply because the plot/story/characters aren't that great. I DO think it could be a pretty good sci-fi action movie, however, which I guess is a reason to get it made, though I still don't think it should be. We CAN comment on originality, because it would obviously follow the games storyline (Bungie/Microsoft are PUSHING to make it CLOSER to the game) and the games storyline isn't very original.

I do think a Half Life movie would be very cool, the only problem with that is the fact that the main character never spoke, so that might ruin it for some people. I still hold true to saying MGS would make the best video game movie of them all, if done right. I would like to see a REAL Doom movie like the one that was going to be made in the 90's.. but well, I guess we won't be seeing that. Althougth AvP is a movie stand-alone from it's games, I would actually really enjoy an AvP based on the games.. I won't lie, it's bascilly like "aliens ... with predators in it" but it'd still be kick ass.
IPB Image

gamer61

gamer61
  • Members
  • 65 posts
QUOTE (G'kar @ Jan 13 2007, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I agree that it could be FUN, but I don't want to see a movie, especially a sci-fi, JUST to have fun. That's only half of it... and I have LESS fun when I'm watching something that's merely a collage of science fiction. I don't think it has the potential to be a great movie simply because the plot/story/characters aren't that great. I DO think it could be a pretty good sci-fi action movie, however, which I guess is a reason to get it made, though I still don't think it should be. We CAN comment on originality, because it would obviously follow the games storyline (Bungie/Microsoft are PUSHING to make it CLOSER to the game) and the games storyline isn't very original.

I do think a Half Life movie would be very cool, the only problem with that is the fact that the main character never spoke, so that might ruin it for some people. I still hold true to saying MGS would make the best video game movie of them all, if done right. I would like to see a REAL Doom movie like the one that was going to be made in the 90's.. but well, I guess we won't be seeing that. Althougth AvP is a movie stand-alone from it's games, I would actually really enjoy an AvP based on the games.. I won't lie, it's bascilly like "aliens ... with predators in it" but it'd still be kick ass.

for once i agree on almost eveything you said !

and for me i think a half life movie would be really kool but maybe if they added the slightest dialog for gordon?

a mgs movie would be amazing !

any idears on who would [you want] play snake?

*accepts the manly hug*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users