Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rare Founders Leave to 'Pursue Other Opportunities'

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Silverslug

Silverslug

Best Console Contributor 2006

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
  • xfire:fruitsofherwomb
  • Xbox / GFWL:fruitsofherwomb
  • Gamer Army ID:118
Rare Founders Leave to 'Pursue Other Opportunities'

Chris and Tim Stamper left the company at the end of 2006.
By Luke Smith, 01/02/2007
Chris and Tim Stamper, two of Rare Ltd.'s (Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark and Viva Pinata) three founders have left the studio. While the news surfaces in the wake of disappointing sales figures for Rare's excellent Viva Pinata, Microsoft told 1UP that sluggish Pinata sales had "absolutely" nothing to do with their departure.

"Chris and Tim have helped shape Rare into the world-renowned development studio that is it today and their impact on the videogame industry as a whole is well known. They are simply leaving to pursue other opportunities and we wish them luck in their future endeavors."
The Stampers' exodus comes just four years after Microsoft acquired Rare from Nintendo for $375M. Since that acquisition, Rare has published five games for Microsoft Game Studios. In addition to Pinata, the Rare released Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero at the Xbox 360's launch and shipped Conker: Live & Reloaded and Grabbed By the Ghoulies on the original Xbox. While it seems unlikely that Microsoft has recouped their original investment in Rare, the company maintains that the studio is "the cornerstone of Microsoft Game Studios' broadening strategy."

Microsoft told 1UP that Mark Bryant, a 19-year-veteran of the Rare team, and Gregg Mayles will succeed the Stampers as Studio Director and Creative Director, respectively.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156140

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
Well it doesn't really come as a shock. They haven't really been doing well since virtually the entire GE/PD team left (most of whom of course went and founced Free Radical).
Seriously. The first notable game they released on a Microsoft console was PDZ, and it would never have gotten attention without all of the hype that'd been building for 5 years.
IPB Image

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Jan 2 2007, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well it doesn't really come as a shock. They haven't really been doing well since virtually the entire GE/PD team left (most of whom of course went and founced Free Radical).
Seriously. The first notable game they released on a Microsoft console was PDZ, and it would never have gotten attention without all of the hype that'd been building for 5 years.

Conker Live and Reloaded was one of the best games I played on live... I wouldn't count it cuz the single player is pretty much the same (I didn't particularily like single player but i heard it gets a lot better towards the end and I just cheaped out and played on live :-p) But on Live it was great. probably the most underrated xbox live game ever... btw... MAKE CONKER BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE DAMMIT :'(
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

MeTroiD

MeTroiD
  • Retired Staff
  • 3,457 posts
  • Interests:Starcraft, Metroid games, Nintendo, Guitar, Hockey (Maple Leafs fan), Basketball (Toronto Raptors), music includes metallica, dragonforce, trivium, megadeth, pantera and MeTroiD Metal. favourite game of all time is super metroid, love LOTR movies, simply enjoy a nice time chilling with my friends going out to eat or drink (i don't drink but keep them company of course) or just chilling at someones place, watching stuff, talking or playing Wii sports which is the next best new thing to do :) oh and megaman because MegamanXLanDarkZero said so :)
  • Xbox / GFWL:The Man Toss
  • Wii:2302372127657498
damn i don't like seeing this happen to rare, after playing their killer apps on the snes and the n64 they've made some of my favourite games i've ever played, i hope they can make a comeback still even though i don't have a 360 icon_razz.gif

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
QUOTE (MeTroiD @ Jan 3 2007, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
damn i don't like seeing this happen to rare, after playing their killer apps on the snes and the n64 they've made some of my favourite games i've ever played, i hope they can make a comeback still even though i don't have a 360 icon_razz.gif

True. It is sad to see them go so far downhill after making such classics in the past, like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, as well as so many underated gems like Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini.
Especially seeing such a promising game like Perfect Dark Zero turn out so poorly.

I do hope they turn it around, but with the mass exodus of the people who actually made those classic games years ago, and now with this, it's not looking likely.
IPB Image

JJC

JJC
  • Members
  • 770 posts
  • Interests:Gaming... duh
Rare is pretty much only Rare in name only (and they even dropped off the "ware" part on the end after moving to Microsoft) the minds behind their best franchises have either moved on or simply don't care anymore. Seems all they can do now is port their old games around and try to milk cash off those.

Silverslug

Silverslug

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Jan 2 2007, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True. It is sad to see them go so far downhill after making such classics in the past, like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong Country and Conker's Bad Fur Day as well as so many underated gems like Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini.
Especially seeing such a promising game like Perfect Dark Zero turn out so poorly.

I do hope they turn it around, but with the mass exodus of the people who actually made those classic games years ago, and now with this, it's not looking likely.

Fixed

MrPulsar

MrPulsar
  • GA Private
  • 210 posts
  • xfire:mrpulsar
  • Interests:Art; Writing; Gaming.
  • Xbox / GFWL:MrPulsar
  • Wii:3379823192739806
  • Gamer Army ID:3370
Personally, I like this decision. To me it seems like Rare has been going downhill lately. I mean, Perfect Dark Zero was a great game, but it wasn't that great. It was a game I played through once, and the never touched it save a few times.

Perfect Dark (I know, comparing a sequel to the original, I'm terrible) kept me entertained for almost a year straight. Maybe the founders leaving may be a good thing for future games they produce. As for Rare, I think they're done.

Silverslug

Silverslug

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
I'm sorry to tell you this but both perfect dark's sucked. At least the 360 version had better framerate compared to the N64 one.

MrPulsar

MrPulsar
  • GA Private
  • 210 posts
  • xfire:mrpulsar
  • Interests:Art; Writing; Gaming.
  • Xbox / GFWL:MrPulsar
  • Wii:3379823192739806
  • Gamer Army ID:3370
QUOTE (fruitsofherwomb @ Jan 3 2007, 03:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry to tell you this but both perfect dark's sucked. At least the 360 version had better framerate compared to the N64 one.

Well, to each his own then. icon_razz.gif

I don't know, I just really liked the original Perfect Dark. I just remembered too that Kameo was made by Rare, I thought that was a pretty solid game, although it isn't too widely loved.

But hopefully they'll still make continue to make some great games despite their stepping down.

JJC

JJC
  • Members
  • 770 posts
  • Interests:Gaming... duh
Not even it's frame rate could hold Perfect Dark down. But overall Rare hit it's peak with DKC2 and ever since then it was say 2 notches below (4 for DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing, yeh hate me later icon_razz.gif ) then rapidly fell after Conker's BFD on the 64.

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
QUOTE (fruitsofherwomb @ Jan 3 2007, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fixed

Well DKC certainly was a classic too.

QUOTE (fruitsofherwomb @ Jan 3 2007, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, I guess all that fun I had was just an illusion then.
It was a good game back then. The only thing that detracted from it was the poor framerate, but I overclocked my N64, so it wasn't a problem.
IPB Image

MegamanXZero

MegamanXZero
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,462 posts
  • xfire:MegamanXLanDarkZero
  • Interests:Gaming, Megaman, Anime, Movies, Cars, Megaman, Soccer, Martial Arts, hmmz.... ow and did I mention Megaman ??
  • Xbox / GFWL:MegamanXLanZero
  • PSN:MegamanXZero
  • Wii:3375446218493519
  • Gamer Army ID:924
  • Company:Mu
QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Jan 3 2007, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was a good game back then. The only thing that detracted from it was the poor framerate, but I overclocked my N64, so it wasn't a problem.

You can actually overclock your N64 ??? :|

Laurster

Laurster
  • Members
  • 245 posts
  • xfire:Laurster
  • Interests:Mario cart DS friend code : <br />266356<br />976032<br />pm with wen u would like 2 play with a date and time in GMT
  • Wii:4351778184212291
mmm rare. one of my fav develpers are now virtually nothing.. no comback is possible without great minds in their midst they cant make great games... :'(
IPB Image
IPB Image

Silverslug

Silverslug

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
Alot of people I know have been telling me to check out Viva Pinata that its brilliant. I'm broke atm, the game is already at a budget price though. Maybe I'll pick it up.... Tough choice between Diddy Kong Racing vs Viva Pinata icon_sad.gif

Damilkman

Damilkman
  • Members
  • 398 posts
  • xfire:alecthesexylion9
  • Interests:Walking hand in hand on the beach.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Abondo
Thats a bummer, I really liked Diddy Kong Racing for the N64.
PoNe BoPpIn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users