Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Video Games Fail.

* - - - - 3 votes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
167 replies to this topic

Sikotik

Sikotik
  • Banned
  • 6,181 posts
  • Interests:Music. Producing/Remixing/DJing/Creating/Listening To and Absorbing it in it's entirety.
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
So, I got HL2 GOTY for my birthday, and I finally installed it.
I turned on CS:S to play on a server with my friend, getting about 30 ping.
The audio was laggy. The video was laggy. My brain was laggy.
I tried dumbing down the video. The game crashed.
I tried doing it one option at a time. The game crashed.
Keep in mind that my computer is roughly about a year old. It's not a bad computer at all.

You know why Halo was so popular? You could run it on a normal computer without fail and faggotry.

I have a decent computer, and I can't even play a goddamn 20 dollar game. This has officially turned me off of all new video games until the developers realize its not the fucking graphics that make the game, its playability.

If you want to sell a lot of copies of a game, you make it playable on any damn new computer that comes out.

I'm not a video gamer. I'm not about to spend $3000 on parts just so I can play a $20 game. This is rediculous.

Fuck Half Life, Fuck CS:S, and fuck video game developers.
I'm going back to Halo.
His name is Robert Paulson.
I get banned with a little help from my friends
QUOTE (Gillz @ Jan 26 2008, 06:29 PM) View Post
Last time I checked, you didn't have the right to tell me what to do?

Hellswarm

Hellswarm
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts
  • Interests:CSS
Yeah, and guess why 1.6 is so popular? Valve still supports 1.6, doesn't it?

There's nothing wrong with you playing older games, many people still play them. Now, getting a graphic-hogging game and telling the devs it's not graphics, it's playability, when there's a LOT of less graphically requiring games out there, is just ... no.

Sikotik

Sikotik
  • Banned
  • 6,181 posts
  • Interests:Music. Producing/Remixing/DJing/Creating/Listening To and Absorbing it in it's entirety.
QUOTE (Boycey-Ganglionz @ Jan 1 2007, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with you, it's stupid that they aim these games at teenagers yet they need systems that cost hundreds maybe thousands to run. I guess they expect their parents to buy the systems for them. I'll stick with console at least that way I know the game will run without fault. You really should have checked the specs before you bought the game though.

I got it as a present.

& to the 1.6 comment - Thats just more money I have to spend on a game i'm not sure will work.

Hellswarm

Hellswarm
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts
That's what System Requirements are for, mate icon_smile.gif

To be honest if you got a comp last year 1.6 should be able to run just fine.

WASDman00

WASDman00
  • GA Private
  • 1,140 posts
  • xfire:GTFO
  • Interests:Trolling.
  • Xbox / GFWL:FTW
  • PSN:L8R
  • Wii:FTL
  • Gamer Army ID:1452
A pc's age doesn't give an exact idea on how good it is. You probably just have a bad pc. We need to know your exact specs. Really, it's not that hard to run a pc game and it's worth it.
Consider this thread trolled.

pimparooni

pimparooni
  • Members
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Pwning ppl lol
There are things on the internets called game demos. There's also things called minimum and recommended specs. The fact that your computer is 1 year old means nothing.

We don't even know if you bought a good pc last year, which obviously isnt the case, since even when my gfx card broke, I could still play css on my 6 years old geforce2 (with a poor framerate, but totally playable).

I bet you didn'T even try to get customer support, to read a FAQ, or ask help from people. You phail. Halo is an old game you know, pc games evolve, just like consoles.

Buying a new 300-400$ console each 4-5 years is just like buying new pc parts. PC gaming is much more oriented towards mature and real gamers, how many disney games do you see on PC compared to those on consoles?
Now playing in april/may

AoC
TF2
Some CoD4

WASDman00

WASDman00
  • GA Private
  • 1,140 posts
  • xfire:GTFO
  • Interests:Trolling.
  • Xbox / GFWL:FTW
  • PSN:L8R
  • Wii:FTL
  • Gamer Army ID:1452
QUOTE (Boycey-Ganglionz @ Jan 1 2007, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with you, it's stupid that they aim these games at teenagers yet they need systems that cost hundreds maybe thousands to run. I guess they expect their parents to buy the systems for them. I'll stick with console at least that way I know the game will run without fault. You really should have checked the specs before you bought the game though.

You already have a pc. You just need a graphics card in which you could get a decent one for about $100. It's not frikkin rocket science people.

Just because you can't run a game on full detail doesn't mean anything, just lower the settings, this shouldn't keep developers from taking advantage of the latest hardware.
Consider this thread trolled.

Sikotik

Sikotik
  • Banned
  • 6,181 posts
Lol, you're all bashing me for not reading the specs, when I got it as a present.

And no, my computer is actually extremely good. But I use it for music recording/mastering and production, not for games.

Try reading my whole post before you start bashing me, fools. I'm not going to go out and buy a new computer every 4 years just so I can play Counterstrike.

Oh, and btw

Just because you can't run a game on full detail doesn't mean anything, just lower the settings, this shouldn't keep developers from taking advantage of the latest hardware.

if you actually read my post, I said I tried to lower the settings. The game continually crashed.

genoc'1de

genoc'1de
  • GA Private
  • 555 posts
  • xfire:ruthlessdog
  • Interests:GAMING
  • Gamer Army ID:428
Yes but surely if its prebuilt u can look at the model number and give THAT to us... would help a tad...
OMG LOOK OUT! IT'S

GENOC1DE'S SPECS

[22" Dell Widescreen] [Intel Q6600 @ 2.8GHz] [2x1GB Corsair Dominator DDR2]
[Leadtek WinFast 8800 GTS 640MB] [EVGA 650i Ultra] [160GB WD Raptor X] [Seagate Barrucuda 320GB 16mb cache] [Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic] [Razer Deathadder] [Saitek Eclipse II]

pimparooni

pimparooni
  • Members
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Pwning ppl lol
QUOTE (Sikotik @ Jan 1 2007, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol, you're all bashing me for not reading the specs, when I got it as a present.

And no, my computer is actually extremely good. But I use it for music recording/mastering and production, not for games.

Once again, you may say it's extremly good, but that doesn't mean anything either without your specs (if you actually know what they are). You probably don't have a graphic card on your pc. Its most likely built in your motherboard, making your pc useless for modern gaming unless you buy a card.

Why are you frustrated? If you had an old SNES, and someone gave you a gamecube title and you couldn't play it, would you still be frustrated?
Now playing in april/may

AoC
TF2
Some CoD4

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Video Gaming (PC mostly, also arcade shmups)<br />Chess<br />Linux/computers<br />Sci-fi (Dune, Star Wars, whatever)<br />Martial Arts<br />Philosophy
  • Steam ID:Destruct0r
  • PSN:kracine
  • Wii:5323779916910511
You're not a gamer, you use your computer for music, and yet you complain that you can't figure out how to run a modern game on it. Most likely you have a low-end (or no) graphics card. It doesn't matter how fast your computer is or how much memory it has, you need a dedicated graphics card to play games like HL2 or CS:S. They aren't that expensive, go buy one and install it, then you'll be fine.
Current blog entry: The Future of Gaming According to Bobby Kotick
You are Likely to be Eaten by a Grue

Hellswarm

Hellswarm
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts
Your bashing the developers because they like to use high-end graphics that your computer can't run brian.png

Futil1ty

Futil1ty
  • Members
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Xbox.
Ugh...you're all freaking idiots.
I tried to play the PC version (I only have the Xbox version) on my next-door neighbors computer, and it worked, but kinda barely. When you try to lower the settings while playing, it screws up every friggin' time.

Just...nvm. The key thing here is: QUIT FRIGGIN' PICKING ON PEOPLE IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO ANALYZE WHAT THEY SAID. He got it as a present, and it's really difficult to play it when nobody researches these things. It's not his fault; it just should be that hard to play a game on a decent and recent computer. Consoles are a totally different thing because they make it a lot easier; don't even TRY making a reference/analogy to/with a console when the topic is a PC.

Conclusion: Bungie'n'Gearbox4ever. (I don't have the patience to over-analyze and get everything organized to flame you, so...bleh.)
Time to dance.

TimeCruiserMike

TimeCruiserMike
  • GA Corporal
  • 382 posts
  • xfire:TimeCruiserMike
  • Interests:Video Games
  • Steam ID:TimeCruiserMike
  • Xbox / GFWL:TimeCruiserMike
  • Wii:3802109511126826
  • Gamer Army ID:564
  • Company:Echo
QUOTE (Sikotik @ Jan 1 2007, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keep in mind that my computer is roughly about a year old. It's not a bad computer at all.

You know why Halo was so popular? You could run it on a normal computer without fail and faggotry.

I have a decent computer, and I can't even play a goddamn 20 dollar game.

Ok firstly, just like everyone here has been saying, the age of your computer means absolutly nothing to us

second, what is your definition of a normal computer

third show us some specs

I'm not a video gamer. I'm not about to spend $3000 on parts just so I can play a $20 game. This is rediculous.

If your not a video gamer i'm kind of wondering why some one was compelled to purchase a video game for you. surely you must have expressed some kind interest in this sort of activity. Also i'm not sure where you go thte idea that you need to spend $3000 on parts. you might need to buy a $100 graphics card but i think that's about it.

Hellswarm

Hellswarm
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts
QUOTE (Futil1ty @ Jan 1 2007, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ugh...you're all freaking idiots.
I tried to play the PC version (I only have the Xbox version) on my next-door neighbors computer, and it worked, but kinda barely. When you try to lower the settings while playing, it screws up every friggin' time.

Just...nvm. The key thing here is: QUIT FRIGGIN' PICKING ON PEOPLE IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO ANALYZE WHAT THEY SAID. He got it as a present, and it's really difficult to play it when nobody researches these things. It's not his fault; it just should be that hard to play a game on a decent and recent computer. Consoles are a totally different thing because they make it a lot easier; don't even TRY making a reference/analogy to/with a console when the topic is a PC.

Conclusion: Bungie'n'Gearbox4ever. (I don't have the patience to over-analyze and get everything organized to flame you, so...bleh.)

Uhh, yeah, I did read. However, the conclusion still is that he's bashing the Developers because they made a game he can't run, when it's not the developer's fault.

scaramoosh

scaramoosh
  • Members
  • 228 posts
I could run HL2 on

256 mb ram
geforce 5200
amd xp 3000xp

lol ur machine must really suck.

Ofcourse i dont have that machine anymore

disposeable_hero

disposeable_hero
  • Members
  • 264 posts
  • xfire:disposeablehero
  • Interests:paintball, computers, airsoft, dance dance revolution, video games, paintball...
  • Xbox / GFWL:xAtomsKx
  • Wii:0252793332874998
First off, if you got it as a present, then why complain? Isn't it the thought that counts? icon_wink.gif .

Second, I've never had any problem running CS:S on any computer I've installed on (including some incredibly shitty ones). In fact contrary to what you have experienced, I feel that the source engine is incredibly scalable for what it is capable of on the high-end. If it's a problem, and you swear it's not hardware, then it's probably a software/OS problem that you, perhaps inadvertently, created yourself. After all, computers only do what people tell them to icon_smile.gif . Also, developers will always keep pushing the limits of our PC hardware, it's just the nature of the industry. And if you honestly don't like that, then your best bet is to just stick to consoles (which isn't a bad thing at all).

Try repairing your OS install and run virus scans/spyware scans. Also, update your video card drivers.
I haz a bukit.

Playing: Beatmania IIDX Troopers, QuakeLive

Manny Krispavera

Manny Krispavera
  • GA Private
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Music and PC games, story of my life.
  • Gamer Army ID:1793
My last computer was about 3 years old before I got my new one, it ran Halflife 2 just fine. Lemme ask you this, from where did you get your computer?

Ravey

Ravey

MotM Aug 2006

• Members
  • 739 posts
QUOTE (Sikotik @ Jan 1 2007, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my computer is roughly about a year old. It's not a bad computer at all.

Age doesn't determine how good your PC is.
You could get an excellent PC 4 years ago and it could still be better than a PC you bought last year. Ths is especially true if you bought a typical prebuilt computer that wasn't meant to play newer games. Get a friend to help you or figure this out for yourself, there are many things you can try:
  • Find out what hardware you need to upgrade
  • Update your bios/drivers/etc
  • Find a tweakguide to help you strip the game down until it's playable

Halo on the PC was horrendous so I can only assume that you're referring to your Xbox as a computer.. To be honest, Halo was popular because:
  • Xbox was new
  • A lot of people often new to shooter games
  • Released after popular shooter games like Goldeneye / Perfect Dark
  • Graphics were great for the time
  • Hype
It was nothing new and it certainly wasn't better than other games at the time.
I have a decent computer, and I can't even play a goddamn 20 dollar game. This has officially turned me off of all new video games until the developers realize its not the fucking graphics that make the game, its playability.

Go play Half Life 1 or Counterstrike 1.6 if you really care about gameplay because they were great shooters. No point complaining that your "decent" PC can't play a game that came out 2 years ago.
If you want to sell a lot of copies of a game, you make it playable on any damn new computer that comes out.

Do you think Half Life 2 didn't sell a lot of copies then? If you can't play newer PC games, then you're best of going with a console because what you said is the purpose of having a console.

$3000 would be rediculous, more along the lines of $500-$1000.
Fuck Half Life, Fuck CS:S, and fuck video game developers. I'm going back to Halo.

No one is stopping you but your opinion means nothing if you haven't even played the games.

In the future don't be such a fag about it. :]

Sikotik

Sikotik
  • Banned
  • 6,181 posts
First off, all of you are saying the same thing over and over, like a fuckin broken record.

I realize Age doesn't determine how good my PC is. But obviously I won't be able to run a game like CounterStrike on a Windows 95. Age gives you an estimation of what prebuilt computers have to run with.

And yes, it is the developers fault. Because if they would stop thrusting on-the-edge graphics games at us, and actually focus on gameplay, more people would be able to play it. I have more things to worry about than buying a $100 graphics card or a couple thousand dollar gaming computer. Sorry, I have a life.

QUOTE (Ravey @ Jan 1 2007, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Halo on the PC was horrendous so I can only assume that you're referring to your Xbox as a computer..

Actually, I was talking about Halo for PC. Don't make assumptions. What may be horrendous to you, was brilliant for me. I liked the way it ran, and the way it was set up.

No one is stopping you but your opinion means nothing if you haven't even played the games.

I've played all the games. My friend has the games running on his computer. I also played them at a LAN Party at my friend's birthday party.

Why did my friend buy me the game if I'm not a gamer? Because he's a little thick, obsessed with video games, and I show minor intrest just so he doesn't get frustated at the fact that I don't play games with him. I told him straight up that I wasn't going to buy the game, and I'd try it out if I got it for Christmas or something. I never expected him to actually buy the game out of his desperation to play it with me.

At least Futility knows how to read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users