Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The "other" computer parts

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

QuamSerena

QuamSerena
  • Members
  • 435 posts
  • xfire:Xs1t0ry
No clue. Don't know much about the architecture. But to me, a motherboard is like a case of beer. The more beer inside it, the better. The smaller the case, the less beer there is. You know what I mean. If they perform the same, then why would anyone use the big ATX when they could use uATX?
IPB Image

Komet

Komet

PPFA 2006: Best HW&SW teh_overclockerer

• GA Corporal
  • 9,425 posts
  • xfire:theredkomet
  • Wii:7734541838954115
  • Gamer Army ID:128
QUOTE (QuamSerena @ Dec 12 2006, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No clue. Don't know much about the architecture. But to me, a motherboard is like a case of beer. The more beer inside it, the better. The smaller the case, the less beer there is. You know what I mean. If they perform the same, then why would anyone use the big ATX when they could use uATX?
More features and shit available on ATX mobos. mATX is designed for smallness so yeah you get all the same basic stuff that the chipset supports, but you're not likely to find these things:

A. Good overclocking in the bios.
B. Multi-GPU setups (with adequate space between the cards).
C. Lots of PCI slots for a sound card, a wifi card, a raid card, etc.

and also, you generally pay more money to get the same chipset on mATX because there's less competition in that market. Pretty much we buy ATX boards because most of us want ATX cases, so we can fit our massive PC components in there comfortably without running into space issues. And we want to overclock the shit out of our components. If you're just looking to keep your build pretty mild with a small OC, then the only advantage to ATX is more PCI slots.

QuamSerena

QuamSerena
  • Members
  • 435 posts
Thanks, it's clear now.

Last thoughts... do you think ATX will be the standard for a long time to come?
IPB Image

Komet

Komet

PPFA 2006: Best HW&SW teh_overclockerer

• GA Corporal
  • 9,425 posts
  • xfire:theredkomet
  • Wii:7734541838954115
  • Gamer Army ID:128
QUOTE (QuamSerena @ Dec 12 2006, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, it's clear now.
Eh, probably. Intel really wanted the world to go BTX but the world pretty much said Fuck You so I'd imagine ATX will be with us for a while yet.

QuamSerena

QuamSerena
  • Members
  • 435 posts
Interesting
IPB Image

spinskittles

spinskittles
  • Members
  • 654 posts
  • Interests:They're pretty obvious
De facto ftw!

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

Best HW & SW Contributor 08 & 09

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dont like
  • PSN:Completely detest
  • Wii:Cant afford
QUOTE (QuamSerena @ Dec 12 2006, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Komet @ Dec 12 2006, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eh, probably. Intel really wanted the world to go BTX but the world pretty much said Fuck You so I'd imagine ATX will be with us for a while yet.

I rekon it'll change given a bit, i mean we've had ATX for quite a while and like it or not the majority of the market likes smaller PCs which need smaller mobos. I think mATX or another smaller form factor is gunna slowly grow in popularity and eventually take over.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

Raving Looney

Raving Looney
  • GA Private
  • 625 posts
  • xfire:reaperman555
  • Gamer Army ID:2161
I know of 2 people in the last 3 days that have got almost exactly the same rig as me on this forum. I find out things the hard way and am now curently having to switch power cables from 1 pc to another. Im getting a new cable soon its just the fact im on work experience and am having to work from 9 till 5.30 which kinda sucks. Im working in a place that repairs computers and printers and so far i've installed windows xp on 9 machines (with all the updates, avg and open office) in the last 2 days. i've diagnosted 5 printer faults, and fixed 2 and sorted out a room full of compaq computers and screens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users