Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Zonealarm

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

okih-imus

okih-imus
  • Members
  • 653 posts
Well yesterday I decided to install Zonealarm. In just two days it has blocked 139 access attempts to my pc. My question is are people really trying to get into other people's stuff that often? Does the Windows firewall not protect me against these things anyways? What are the benefits of zonealarm? Are there any security holes in zonealarm? thanks.

Also, I installed spy sweeper, spy bot, and adaware. I ran adaware first and it got rid of a few things. I ran spysweeper next and it found some things adaware was unable to. I have yet to run spybot. interesting. I guess the only way to be safe is a full format, which I do 1 or 2 times a year.

McKaamos

McKaamos
  • Members
  • 402 posts
QUOTE (okih-imus @ Dec 12 2006, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well yesterday I decided to install Zonealarm. In just two days it has blocked 139 access attempts to my pc. My question is are people really trying to get into other people's stuff that often? Does the Windows firewall not protect me against these things anyways? What are the benefits of zonealarm? Are there any security holes in zonealarm? thanks.

Also, I installed spy sweeper, spy bot, and adaware. I ran adaware first and it got rid of a few things. I ran spysweeper next and it found some things adaware was unable to. I have yet to run spybot. interesting. I guess the only way to be safe is a full format, which I do 1 or 2 times a year.

those blocked attempts are most times just netbios packets, or discovery features from windows itself.
Windows looks for other microsoft products and UPNP based hardware on networks.
So its most likely that that's what's being blocked.

Anyway, you dont need ZoneAlarm. Windows has its own firewall (that doesnt report every small thing to you), and if you are behind a router its even more useless to have zonealarm, since routers block anything incomming anyway (unless you tell them otherwise).

about those antispyware things: they often recognise internet cookies as malware too, so often you get false positives on them.
To arm yourself against spyware is to use a non-InternetExplorer browser like Mozilla, Netscape or Opera.
Spyware mostly gets in through holes in ActiveX, wich only Internet Explorer uses.
Just hook me up to the internet, 1000 Megabits per second, IV push. It'll feel like home...

spinskittles

spinskittles
  • Members
  • 654 posts
  • Interests:They're pretty obvious
Yeah if you don't have a router or some type of hardware firewall, it's pretty important you get one even if you're the only computer hooked up to it.
And you can't always count on OS firewalls especially with outgoing traffic.

Remember to run spybot too -- download the updates, immunize and win etc..!

thevudd

thevudd
  • Banned
  • 1,467 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:104
Yeah, SP2 Firewall is fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users