Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Religion

• Please log in to reply
2250 replies to this topic

Alexc26

Alexc26
  • GA Private
  • 2,082 posts
  • xfire:Alexc26
  • Steam ID:Alexc26
  • Xbox / GFWL:Alexc26
  • PSN:Alexc26
  • Rofl-Rupees:13
  • Gamer Army ID:4614
  • Company:Gamma
I dont belive in god, or jesus, or any religion icon_smile.gif

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
QUOTE (Alexc26 @ Aug 5 2009, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's... nice?

Do you actually have anything to contribute to the thread one way or the other?
IPB Image

Alexc26

Alexc26
  • GA Private
  • 2,082 posts
QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Aug 5 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's... nice?

Do you actually have anything to contribute to the thread one way or the other?

I was just saying that i dont belive in god or religion, im not saying anything to insult you guys who are religious, i just personally dont belive in it.

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
QUOTE (Alexc26 @ Aug 5 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was just saying that i dont belive in god or religion, im not saying anything to insult you guys who are religious, i just personally dont belive in it.

Did you understand my post at all? I'm not saying anyone is offended or insulted. You're entitled to believe or not believe whatever you want.
Popping into any thread in the debate section and just posting "I like/dislike noun lolz" isn't a proper post. If you post in the debate section, regardless of what your view is, you have to go more in depth. Explain why, or back up your stance.
IPB Image

hasjustbeenpwned

hasjustbeenpwned
  • Members
  • 1,718 posts
  • xfire:Hasjustbeenpwnd
  • Interests:games, computers and bitches
QUOTE (Fin @ Aug 5 2009, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is atheism a religion?

How i used religion in my post i was hoping we would be including atheism because it is a possibility in my "true religion" idea.

You could kinda say it is a religion anyway, it's just not an organized religion.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,927 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Fin @ Aug 5 2009, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is atheism a religion?

it is the absence of religion/beliefs , therefore relevant to the thread.

QUOTE (Alexc26 @ Aug 5 2009, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh really? That's so cool how you elaborated on your comment, I really think your post was worth the time and effort of reading.

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
  • xfire:killercowld
  • Xbox / GFWL:bloodvayne360
  • PSN:killercow_ld
  • Wii:1681832568364918
QUOTE (Alexc26 @ Aug 5 2009, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

religion definitely exists dude

Alexc26

Alexc26
  • GA Private
  • 2,082 posts
QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Aug 5 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
religion definitely exists dude

I didnt mean religion doesnt exist, i was saying i dont belive it, i dont think the bilbe etc is right, i think it is all one big pile of crap tbh, again thats just my opinion, its nothing personal to you lot who belive in the bible, its just that i dont.

hasjustbeenpwned

hasjustbeenpwned
  • Members
  • 1,718 posts
QUOTE (Alexc26 @ Aug 5 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didnt mean religion doesnt exist, i was saying i dont belive it, i dont think the bilbe etc is right, i think it is all one big pile of crap tbh, again thats just my opinion, its nothing personal to you lot who belive in the bible, its just that i dont.

Why don't you believe? seriously. I came here to start an intelligent conversation but you just keep saying "i don' believe" BACK UP YOUR REASONING.

I could sit here all day and tell you that the sky is made of pudding and clouds are big floating balls of cotton candy but that doesn't mean you'd listen to me due to the fact that i'm not backing anything up.

Alexc26

Alexc26
  • GA Private
  • 2,082 posts
QUOTE (hasjustbeenpwned @ Aug 5 2009, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why don't you believe? seriously. I came here to start an intelligent conversation but you just keep saying "i don' believe" BACK UP YOUR REASONING.

I could sit here all day and tell you that the sky is made of pudding and clouds are big floating balls of cotton candy but that doesn't mean you'd listen to me due to the fact that i'm not backing anything up.

Ok, well, first of all, there would be bound to be some mistakes, because when the bible was first written it wasnt in english, so it would of been translated into other languages and then into english, and i doubt every word translated would be proper, if that makes sense, also i just dont think god is real, reason for that is that i think the earth was created by the big bang, not some "god" who made the earth, i also dont think jesus was real or if he was i dont htink he could of done those things the bible says he did, im currently to tired to keep on talking, so tomorrow i will post more reasons.

raw_genesis

raw_genesis

The Flaming Homo of the year '09

• Members
  • 3,655 posts
  • xfire:rawgenesis
  • Interests:the ladies ;D
  • Steam ID:raw_genesis
  • Xbox / GFWL:ex bawks
  • PSN:pee ess tripple
  • Wii:Weeeeeeee!!!
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
I am still of the belief that most modern religions are simply re-working and re-constructions of older religions which are it turn the same for older religions etc. which at some point where most likely constructed from basic tales and fictional stories told thousands of years ago.

QUOTE (Shaun. @ Apr 28 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AAAAA+++++++++++++++ GREAT SERVICE AND GOOD PACKAGE. WOULD BANG AGAIN

CORNELIOUS THE CONQUEROR

CORNELIOUS THE CONQUEROR
  • Members
  • 382 posts
QUOTE (hasjustbeenpwned @ Aug 5 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why wouldn't he choose people that live morally sound lives and adhered to the rules he set forward?
because thats a misconception of heaven
I personally think (hope) ... maybe that's a sign showing that he wouldn't care what religion we follow?

if no religion appeals to you then yeh it makes perfect sence not to follow any, I guess u know this too
If the universe can't just be then how could god just be?
There is no necessity to arrange these things. If there is a creator then the creator is God. I think youre overanalysing it

I assosciate religion with my childhood, community and teaching

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
  • xfire:drippotaku
  • Steam ID:projecktcain
  • Xbox / GFWL:JReele
  • Gamer Army ID:3410
QUOTE (hasjustbeenpwned @ Aug 5 2009, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need a reason to believe the incredible, but you don't need a reason to not believe.

All you have to do is recognize that we're told the bible is factual, then read the damn thing. It disproves itself more then any long argument ever could.

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
QUOTE (raw_genesis @ Aug 5 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am still of the belief that most modern religions are simply re-working and re-constructions of older religions which are it turn the same for older religions etc. which at some point where most likely constructed from basic tales and fictional stories told thousands of years ago.

I've always felt that the very fact that various civilizations throughout our history, many of whom had no knowledge of each other, and often had no knowledge of any other culture, the fact that they all had such similar ideas regarding religion;
I see that as reinforcement that there really is something to religion.

Now, at the same time, I don't think any religion has ever gotten it entirely right. Most have probably at least some of it right, but I don't think any have ever had a 100% accurate picture of it all, and I doubt any ever will. I do believe in God, and I think the concept of God is something we simply can't fully comprehend. God exists on a plain of consciousness far beyond what our minds can process.

There are things even within factual verified scientific knowledge that we can't comprehend. Did we have any sort of consciousness before the first traces of our earthly lives began? If not, can we really comprehend the non-existence that preceded it? If so, what was it? When we die, does our consciousness simply cease to be? If so, what happens? If not, where does our consciousness transfer to? How about time? Even staying completely out of religious domain, what happened before the big bang? What existed then? Nothingness? By our human comprehension, even nothing has to be something. Will time go on infinitely? Will it end? Will there be something after it ends, if it does? None of those outcomes are possible for our minds to truly deal with.

tl;dr, The previous paragraph is just about how even in the completely factual world, there are things that we actually can't comprehend.

There are also just so many things I look at in the world around me that make me believe that there has to be something greater. Things like what you feel when you're listening to an amazing piece of music, or when you're spending time with the person you love in that special way; Human emotion to me proves that there just has to be something behind all this. It can't possibly be just an accident; a giant 5 billion year coincidence.

Now, I also don't care what others believe, and feel that everyone is entitled to believe or not believe whatever they want. You're not going to automatically go to heaven if you follow the right religion, and you're certainly not going to hell just because you didn't. I don't know what lies beyond the earthly consciousness we know as life, but I believe there is something beyond it. Some of my best friends are atheists, or simply have no religious belief. That's completely okay. Everyone has to choose their own path. If there is a heaven, which I believe there is in some form, they have just as much of a chance of getting there as I do.

I've rambled a bit, but this post just sort of flowed through me. I don't mean that as anything divine; I'm just in a very spiritual and peaceful mindset right now.

Whether you're super religious, a hardcore atheist, or part of the majority that's in between, live a good life, and things will turn out okay.

tl;dr
I believe in God, but not necessairly any organized religion. Regardless of what you believe, we're all in this together, and it's who you are that truly matters.

All you have to do is recognize that we're told the bible is factual, then read the damn thing. It disproves itself more then any long argument ever could.

It's also a collection of interpretations from a ton of different people. The word of God would never be fully comprehensible to humans, so each person will interpret it differently. When a bunch of people from different times interpret something differently, there are bound to be differences in opinion, and even contradictions.
Also, remember that not everything in the Bible is meant to be taken 100% literally. Some parts are fables. Some parts were written about after the fact. Also, if any of these contradictions occur in the old testament, remember that the entire purpose of the new testament was essentially to correct what was was wrong with the interpretations of the old testament.

You don't have to believe anything if you don't want to. It amuses me when atheists act like there's definitely no God though. There's no proof either for or against the existence of God. Anyone who spouts either side as fact is full of shit.
Religious people who claim there's irrefutable evidence are wrong, and don't understand the concept of faith. Atheists who claim there's definitely no God don't understand what "fact" is.

Edited by TubularLuggage, 06 August 2009 - 01:18 AM.

IPB Image

Fin

Fin
  • Members
  • 1,347 posts
How i used religion in my post i was hoping we would be including atheism because it is a possibility in my "true religion" idea.

But its not a religion...
You could kinda say it is a religion anyway, it's just not an organized religion.

How on earth would that be? Religion is (generally...) a belief in god(s), Be it christian God or one of the thousands of african spirit gods. Its about eating biscuits and drinking wine while you read your favorite parts of the "holy book". Atheism is compleat lack of belief in god(s). Atheism is Lack of religion.

it is the absence of religion/beliefs , therefore relevant to the thread.

Yes I agree, but I disagree that atheism is a religion.
Also, remember that not everything in the Bible is meant to be taken 100% literally. Some parts are fables. Some parts were written about after the fact. Also, if any of these contradictions occur in the old testament, remember that the entire purpose of the new testament was essentially to correct what was was wrong with the interpretations of the old testament.

That might be what you say, but according to the local jesus freaks every word of the bible has to be taken literally. According to them I am also Satan, my friends are whores and bastards, and due to our sinful life styles we are all going to end up in hell. Because you know, drinking beer on saturday is horrible sin in the eyes of christian god, and we deserve to spend the whole eternity in Hell with Hitler and Stalin.

Unless we convert NOW!.

Why is it that every believer has his / her own version of god? Cant you just sit down and agree what god is / is not? Kind of hard to even debate if every one has their own "special" god.

richmeister

richmeister
  • Members
  • 1,476 posts
  • xfire:richmeister6666
If anything i'm more willing to accept the old testament than the new one. It's a well known fact that the supernatural elements to jesus' life was added in the 3rd century AD by the Byzantiums. That's not to say he doesn't tell a good story, if he did exist.

The old testament seems to me like its meant to be seen as a way of explaining the unexplainable at the time i.e Genesis. It's meant not to be historical fact, rather more like a series of stories explaining one or another side of God. While the new testament tries to market itself as something that did happen, no questions asked. I'm not convinced Jesus even existed let alone was the son of god.

I've always believed that the bible isn't fact, but almost fiction, in the same way 1984 is (or other philisophical books/novels, i'm not comparing 1984 with the bible). Presenting ideas and possibilities that could happen. I don't believe there is a heaven or hell, i believe that everything and every person dies and becomes reborn again as some one else. If we are all charitable and such during our lifetimes we will create a heaven on earth, and so when we die, we WILL go to heaven, a heaven on earth. Just in the same way if we have a shitty existance we will die and go to a hell on earth.

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
  • xfire:drippotaku
  • Steam ID:projecktcain
  • Xbox / GFWL:JReele
  • Gamer Army ID:3410
QUOTE (richmeister @ Aug 6 2009, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The old testament seems to me like its meant to be seen as a way of explaining the unexplainable at the time i.e Genesis. It's meant not to be historical fact, rather more like a series of stories explaining one or another side of God.

It's too bad that the Vatican doesn't agree, and still insists on the 100% factual nature of the Bible.

It'd be a much more convincing situation if they'd just admit that it's a book not unlike Aesop's Fables, meant to teach a lesson and not taken as historical fact.

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

hasjustbeenpwned

hasjustbeenpwned
  • Members
  • 1,718 posts
QUOTE (Fin @ Aug 6 2009, 05:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But its not a religion...

How on earth would that be? Religion is (generally...) a belief in god(s), Be it christian God or one of the thousands of african spirit gods. Its about eating biscuits and drinking wine while you read your favorite parts of the "holy book". Atheism is compleat lack of belief in god(s). Atheism is Lack of religion.

Yes I agree, but I disagree that atheism is a religion.

Religion (defined by dictionary.com) is "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs." Which is what Atheism is when you get right down to it. It's beliefs about the cause nature and purpose of everything. Religion only "usually" follows observances and only "often" has moral guide lines. So for my argument i can consider atheism a religion in my "true religion" idea.

QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Aug 6 2009, 02:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what happened before the big bang?

What happened before god? my problem with the big bang versus god argument is that their has to be something before it but religious people just tell me "god has always been" why could god have just been there but the big bang is impossible to "just be"? Someone said i'm over thinking this but what created the creator? or what caused the big bang for that matter?

QUOTE (Jaylew @ Aug 5 2009, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need a reason to believe the incredible, but you don't need a reason to not believe.

I disagree. You need a reason to believe or not believe.

I may have caused confusion by using the word "heaven" but i meant (should've said that in my first post my bad) the spiritual equivalent that almost every religion has. I can't say as much about religions that aren't christianity because i haven't been shown them like i have been shown christianity.

QUOTE (Jaylew @ Aug 6 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It'd be a much more convincing situation if they'd just admit that it's a book not unlike Aesop's Fables, meant to teach a lesson and not taken as historical fact.

My friends and I have discussed that and have pretty much all agreed that that should happen, religions could still say their is a god, but they don't have to look down on me when i argue that it's physically impossible no matter what you have on your side to come back to life.

Fin

Fin
  • Members
  • 1,347 posts
Fine if you want to go by what Dictionary says...
Religion (defined by dictionary.com) is "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

And what does dictionary say about Atheism?

Main Entry:
athe·ism Listen to the pronunciation of atheism
Pronunciation:
\ˈā-thē-ˌi-zəm\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle French athéisme, from athée atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a- + theos god
Date:

1archaic : ungodliness, wickedness2 a: a disbelief in the existence of deity b: the doctrine that there is no deity

I dont see "Atheism: Same as religion tbh".

Atheism does not have any rites. It doesnt have sacred texts (no matter what some bloody Richard Dawkins faggots would have you belive...) and it has absolotely no moral teachings.
It's beliefs about the cause nature and purpose of everything.

No it doesnt. Atheism does not say a jack shit about how the world came to be, it doesnt seek to answere "The Big Question". As atheism is not a religion, it doesnt have any particular "beliefs".

It is simply a statement of "I are Godless heathen".

TheBase

TheBase
  • Members
  • 1,342 posts
  • xfire:thewutangclan
My goodness... I don't know where to start.

@ TubbularLuggage: Where is the evidence that God exists? I know you never claimed god to be omniscient and/or omnipotent. But suppose he did create the universe and sat back like a lazy bastard. What evidence do we have proving (or at least indicating) that the universe was created by a creator? And why just one god? Why not many gods? Why not the fucking pink unicorn? And sure there are many things that science can't explain and phenomenons we can't comprehend. But how is that evidence for god(s)?

If 100% of the bible isn't supposed to be taken literally, then what fucking part of the bible should be taken seriously? And if we're doing that, humans would be picking and choosing what parts of the bible to follow. The religions that people believe in are clearly man made. And already well established religions continue to be tampered by man. Why have the slightest amount of certainty that god exists when there is no evidence for it? I'm pretty sure I guy like you will not buy into the "absence of evidence is not the evidence absent" bullshit.

If you believe in any supernatural being, you are deluded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users