Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Religion

• Please log in to reply
2248 replies to this topic

Count_Pwntaculr

Count_Pwntaculr
  • Members
  • 211 posts
QUOTE (dewoo @ Jul 1 2007, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you do have a great point with the part about christians who just go to church and just agrees to what the priest says whithout thinking for themselfs.I have a philosophy:questioning! what ever you belive question it. Ask yourself "why do i think like that?" and if you dont't have a clear answer to that you become very vulnerable since you will fall for anything. But then we can't forget that religon is based on faith. Beliving what you can't see. However this does NOT justify beliving something becuse someone told you so. You can't build a religon on events that happend to some guy 2000,100 or 2 years ago, it has to be personal. I feel that many christians that has grown up in christian familes often tend to "take over" there parents faith instead of creating one of there own. And then there is the problem with the "christian look". I am talking about people who only pray in church when someone can see how "christian" and "good" thay are.

and on that last statement.. have you ever heard of the dead see scrolls?

Yes, yes yes. 90 percent of people have the same religion as their parents do. Thats telling.

Tbh, this topic should just go back to arguing over God's existance surely? Once we decide that THEN we can talk about this stuff icon_razz.gif.

Hrugnir

Hrugnir

The Disciple

• Retired Staff
  • 5,278 posts
  • xfire:hrugnir
  • Interests:Gaming, Music, Theology, Mythology, Eschathology, Philosophy, Psychology.
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:1887372691017334
  • Gamer Army ID:165
No, this is a topic about religion. Just because the question "Does God exist" is the only religious question Atheists have something to say in doesn't mean that's the only topic we're allowed to discuss in this sticky.

ya_ba

ya_ba

Best General Discushun Contributor | Also, do one!

• GA Private
  • 6,992 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in a lot of things buuuuuuut I'm not gonna list them, k? k ;D
  • Gamer Army ID:2645
QUOTE (Hrugnir @ Jul 2 2007, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, this is a topic about religion. Just because the question "Does God exist" is the only religious question Atheists have something to say in doesn't mean that's the only topic we're allowed to discuss in this sticky.

No true, Atheists can say much about a lot of aspects in religion.

Dude.
yael.png

Vengeance

Vengeance

MotM March 2007 | teh_cookierer

• GA Sergeant
  • 2,057 posts
  • xfire:vengeance238
  • Wii:7099005730287119
  • Gamer Army ID:100
I think he just meant that's the only topic most atheists on here actually want to debate, haha icon_smile.gif Which is true, really. I can understand it, in a way, but I'd prefer to add a bit of variety icon_smile.gif

Hrugnir

Hrugnir

The Disciple

• Retired Staff
  • 5,278 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Music, Theology, Mythology, Eschathology, Philosophy, Psychology.
QUOTE (Vengeance @ Jul 2 2007, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he just meant that's the only topic most atheists on here actually want to debate, haha icon_smile.gif Which is true, really. I can understand it, in a way, but I'd prefer to add a bit of variety icon_smile.gif

^

I know that you, for starters, Yael, tend to say "I have nothing to say to that" very often if I try to discuss more in-depth discussion, or the answer is something like "Yeah, that would make sense if I believed in a God", which isn't exactly contributing ;P

ya_ba

ya_ba

• GA Private
  • 6,992 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in a lot of things buuuuuuut I'm not gonna list them, k? k ;D
QUOTE (Hrugnir @ Jul 2 2007, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^

I know that you, for starters, Yael, tend to say "I have nothing to say to that" very often if I try to discuss more in-depth discussion, or the answer is something like "Yeah, that would make sense if I believed in a God", which isn't exactly contributing ;P

To some subjects yeah - that's a proper answer.
But all the morals attached to religion, and the whole discussion about sins, also relates to me, a non theist person.

Dude.
yael.png

fykusfire

fykusfire
  • GA Private
  • 1,316 posts
  • xfire:fykusfire
  • Steam ID:fykusfire
  • Gamer Army ID:1293
  • Company:Hotel
QUOTE (Schlitz @ Jul 2 2007, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was once one who questioned God's existance, but after two instances where I "encountered" him, I can't deny the existance.
Oh, you had one of those too eh? I know what that's like.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,927 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
^^

I (being my spirit) left my body once to commune with the Collective Conscious.... those were good times....

the thing I have found with "God Encounters" is that no matter what, you can't 100% prove that you had it, and 99% of the people you talk to won't believe you.

fykusfire

fykusfire
  • GA Private
  • 1,316 posts
QUOTE (Dohreguard @ Jul 2 2007, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^^

I (being my spirit) left my body once to commune with the Collective Conscious.... those were good times....
the thing I have found with "God Encounters" is that no matter what, you can't 100% prove that you had it, and 99% of the people you talk to won't believe you.
Yep, my experience is proof of nothing, and I dare never use it as such. It was for me, and me only. But yeah, to touch upon your experience, I had a run-in with the Akashic Records (the collective consciousness you speak of) and their guardian of perfect being (I don't know if you consider that the Metatron, or an angel, or what) as well, but that was not the same as meeting the creator in his realm.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,927 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
what is with you and showing me technical terms that make sense!!!!

thats really cool stuff. I've just skimmed it right now, but thats pretty much my "collective conscious" minus the spontaneous telepathy.

Hrugnir

Hrugnir

The Disciple

• Retired Staff
  • 5,278 posts
QUOTE (Schlitz @ Jul 2 2007, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know I know, thats why I don't bother explaining it, because people will just be like, "You're full of shit, I don't believe that, that is stupid."

It wasn't and out of body experience for me, but any who like you guys said, it was just enough proof for me, and really to me thats all that matters.

Same here. I do tell sometimes, but I'm aware that no one is gonna believe me, and I know that these experiences are just meant for my own faith, not for anyone else's.

ya_ba

ya_ba

• GA Private
  • 6,992 posts
QUOTE (Hrugnir @ Jul 3 2007, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Same here. I do tell sometimes, but I'm aware that no one is gonna believe me, and I know that these experiences are just meant for my own faith, not for anyone else's.

I could see WHY people wouldn't believe you.
But I do think that if you converse your belief with someone, that should be a valuabe argument.

Dude.
yael.png

fykusfire

fykusfire
  • GA Private
  • 1,316 posts
QUOTE (Dohreguard @ Jul 2 2007, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what is with you and showing me technical terms that make sense!!!!

thats really cool stuff. I've just skimmed it right now, but thats pretty much my "collective conscious" minus the spontaneous telepathy.
Well, I try to help out my friends, whether IRL or here on the internet. If you stumbled upon a concept that has been previously studied by religious scholars, but you don't know the exact terminology yourself, I love to point you to where you are looking. That way, you may be able to glean a pure understanding of life, and a purpose for yourself from it. Those are the things that make me really happy in my own life. My own religious studies run the gamut of all religions, so I find that I am a valuable resource to those who have not done as much study. Glad as always I could help you Doh.

ST1DinOH

ST1DinOH

Master Debater 08

• Members
  • 7,272 posts
  • Interests:fireworks, weed,
QUOTE (fykusfire @ Jul 2 2007, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, my experience is proof of nothing, and I dare never use it as such. It was for me, and me only. But yeah, to touch upon your experience, I had a run-in with the Akashic Records (the collective consciousness you speak of) and their guardian of perfect being (I don't know if you consider that the Metatron, or an angel, or what) as well, but that was not the same as meeting the creator in his realm.

have you done much study on edgar cacey?

he spoke quite a bit about the akashic records, the man was amazing.

fykusfire

fykusfire
  • GA Private
  • 1,316 posts
QUOTE (st1dinoh @ Jul 11 2007, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
have you done much study on edgar cacey?

he spoke quite a bit about the akashic records, the man was amazing.
Sure have, his name was Edgar Cayce though, for your own reference.

ST1DinOH

ST1DinOH

Master Debater 08

• Members
  • 7,272 posts
  • Interests:fireworks, weed,
QUOTE (fykusfire @ Jul 12 2007, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure have, his name was Edgar Cayce though, for your own reference.

so do you think it was one person or a group of people that he "spoke" to...and furthermore were they from the future, or just an accumulation...like the borg.

fykusfire

fykusfire
  • GA Private
  • 1,316 posts
QUOTE (st1dinoh @ Jul 12 2007, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so do you think it was one person or a group of people that he "spoke" to...and furthermore were they from the future, or just an accumulation...like the borg.
I don't know who or what that group are (and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to talk about it), but we (my friends that have had these experiences and I) call them the elders.

HypnoticMoose

HypnoticMoose
  • GA Private
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:Flash, Photoshop, Games, Breathing, Eating, etc.
  • Xbox / GFWL:HypnoticMoose
  • Gamer Army ID:2373
Religion is the precurser to Law, it's faith in an eternal punishment for not acting in a controlled manner, a controlled manner as defined by the leader(s) of said religion. Religion is obsolete.
"If there were no laws, there would be a one-hundred percent drop in the crime rate"
~HypnoticMoose

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (HypnoticMoose @ Jul 30 2007, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Religion is the precurser to Law, it's faith in an eternal punishment for not acting in a controlled manner, a controlled manner as defined by the leader(s) of said religion. Religion is obsolete.

I would revise your statement to read "That form of religion is obsolete."

If I were to consider it at all.

Vengeance

Vengeance

MotM March 2007 | teh_cookierer

• GA Sergeant
  • 2,057 posts
  • xfire:vengeance238
  • Wii:7099005730287119
  • Gamer Army ID:100
QUOTE (HypnoticMoose @ Jul 31 2007, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the sort of argument that really annoys me to be honest, just because of its complete closed-minded attitude, the way it states opinion as fact and the lack of knowledge of the area it talks about.

Okay... your argument seems to be that religion's entire existence can be summed up as a 'carrot and stick' affair, to encourage people to behave in a certain way. Religion is, however, a hell of a lot more than that, with a lot more logical debate, experiences and philosophical, theological and metaphysical debate on the subject of whether a God can exist or not. I mean, just reading back a bit will show you several debates we've had already. Perhaps contributing your views on that would be a better way to go about things, rather than coming in to the thread and stating that religion is obsolete as fact. This isn't the "state your opinion" section, it's the "debate" section icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users