Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Religion

• Please log in to reply
2250 replies to this topic

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (Teh_Avatar @ Oct 21 2010, 04:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A lot of people don't believe it at first, they verify the data and results, and check theoretical work.

People keep an open mind, but we both know 90% of the people will believe it till they hear something contradictory.

Sorry it was a bit of a ramble. What I meant was you are so proud of the fact that you're christian, that you come across angry and hateful towards non believers. Aren't these deadly sins? Or do you just ignore these when on your quest to heavenship?

I'm not hateful. It just irks me when people are either intollerant of religion in general (not so much lately. People are generally tolerant compared to earlier in the thread where it was pretty much everyone saying religion is stupid) or when people wrongly tell me what I believe or why I believe it (generally ignorance). Especially in the case of major religions it is not that hard to do a quick google search and find out what they actually believe before saying something stupid.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:20
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Oct 21 2010, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there is no proof in your life experiences. You are assuming wrongly that there are no blatantly obvious and observable things in my life that indicated that there is a God.

If the scientests at the supercollider did an experiment and said something was true, I take it you'd believe them. You didn't see the experiment. You could not duplicate their results. You could not verify that their results were not fabricated. I take it you would not be quite so hard on them as you would be on a religious person.

There is a huge difference. Any significant results at the supercollider would be studied, criticised, peer reviewed and perhaps play part in the devleopment of new scientific theory, but only after a rigourous gauntlet of tests and repeated experimentation.
Personal experiences of 'God' cannot be reviewed or crticised, nor can it be repeated through tests. Furthermore, they occur only within the mind, which is susceptible to any number of psychological conditions that can delude the host.

Edited by Garamiah, 21 October 2010 - 08:35 AM.

QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 11 2010, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

Rob`

Rob`
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • xfire:noobnoobnoob1337
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Oct 21 2010, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Especially in the case of major religions it is not that hard to do a quick google search and find out what they actually believe before saying something stupid.

To be fair a lot of Christians do believe a lot of different things.

I mean you can say you're a Christian but then are you Catholic, Protestant, Church Of England, Evangelical or what? Do you believe the Earth was created in 6 days 6000 years ago or do you believe that Genesis is a metaphor and Earth has been around for 4.5 billion years? Do you believe that living a homosexual lifestyle is sinful or that God really doesn't care? Do you believe Hell awaits everyone who doesn't accept Jesus into their heart or do you believe that the only requirement for Heaven is that you try to be good in life?
Perhaps if this signature is witty enough, someone will finally love me.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
QUOTE (Rob` @ Oct 21 2010, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean you can say you're a Christian but then are you Catholic, Protestant, Church Of England, Evangelical or what? Do you believe the Earth was created in 6 days 6000 years ago or do you believe that Genesis is a metaphor and Earth has been around for 4.5 billion years? Do you believe that living a homosexual lifestyle is sinful or that God really doesn't care? Do you believe Hell awaits everyone who doesn't accept Jesus into their heart or do you believe that the only requirement for Heaven is that you try to be good in life?

I'm ok with it if there's a misunderstanding and your information is accurate on some level. My general complaint is that it isn't hard to learn about someone's religion in most cases (I will say satanism is more difficult) usually in great detail via the internet. there isn't much reason to be getting some of the more basic/universal things about a religion wrong.

I'm upset by ignorance, not misunderstandings.

QUOTE (Garamiah @ Oct 21 2010, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a huge difference. Any significant results at the supercollider would be studied, criticised, peer reviewed and perhaps play part in the devleopment of new scientific theory, but only after a rigourous gauntlet of tests and repeated experimentation.

But the experiments can't be replicated anywhere else. You're assuming that I haven't talked with people religious and not about them or that the Catholic church doesn't do any criticizing or peer reviewing of it's general beliefs. Stuff that appears in the apostle's creed doesn't change, but the beliefs on most every day things change more often than most people think and there's a good amount of disagreement on various things inside the church.

generally people think that people believe their religion because it's just something they've done their whole life. Anybody who actually cares about their faith will surely tell you different.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
  • Steam ID:100sph
  • Gamer Army ID:3335
  • Company:Delta

The Blackman is God

063abra old

063abra old
  • Banned
  • 7 posts
  • Steam ID:Demonic_Seraph
QUOTE (CartooN @ Oct 18 2010, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally feel that religion issues a form of fear and punishment with crimes. While what religion speaks is what I would consider "good" (ie dont kill, dont steal etc etc) it backs up breaking these rules with fear of a "hell".

In modern times more and more people do not believe in the "classic" religions and opt for a more agnostic/atheism route. What better way to cause fear than by saying these people are too going to hell as well. I dont believe peace by fear is ever a good thing.

Something I always think about is;
Is the man who is a good man because he fears the consequences of not being so, really a good man at all?

Your viewpoint of Christian theology is a bit bleak. It is a simple thing to condemn Christianity based on its post mortum consequences, but in reality, those are not of much concern.

This is my interpretation of it, whether it is "correct" or not is up to the individual in the end:

There is a God, the Father, who has created everything around us. He created man out of benevolence, because he is love. This does not mean that he is loving or that he made love, it means that God is love. He is complete altruistic benevolence, but even that does not descibe what love is. He created man not to force him to choose, but to share His creation with him because He is love. This is the same reason that man has a child, it is not simply to procreate, it is to love. Now the question would be "If God is perfect, why does he require someone to love?" The answer is he doesn't and never has, he is love and wished to share it. That is all.

Adam and Eve made a decision contrary to God who, being the Father, wished only to protect his children. The Tree of Knowledge is often misinterpreted, the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge gave man the ability to decide what behaviors are right and wrong for himself instead of doing what his Father, who is knowledge, asked him to. God could have hung up his hat there and smitten Adam and Eve, but he didn't: he numbered their days and allowed them to further partake in his creations because he gave them free will. He never held a gun to man's head and forced him to do his will, he wanted children, not robots.

This is the concept of original sin, which is strictly man's sin. Sin is defined as anything that separates man from God. Eden was union with God, God "walked among" Adam and Eve, so they separated themselves through acting in non-accordance with God's request. As a result, they were separated. Jesus Christ, the second Adam in a sense, was born as both a man and an incarnation of God in order to die as a blood sacrifice to allieviate original sin and allow union with God once more, a task previously impossible under Judaism: one could get close to God, but never in union with him as he once could. Blood is a significant theme throughout scripture, and was entirely necessary to forgive man of original sin if they accept Jesus Christ.

Jesus talked of Hell as "Gehenna", which was a trash furnace outside of Jerusalem in which a fire continually burned to consume the bad crops, etc. If one does not bear fruit, meaning one does not pass the seed that God gave to Adam onto his children or others, one is cast into the fires of Gehenna to be consumed when judgement comes. If one bears fruit and believes Jesus Christ to be his savior, one may achieve unity with God in heaven. The idea is not scare tactics, the idea is that we wish to be purified of our original sin and achieve unity with the One who created us all. We wish to achieve unity with love Himself, it's not that we fear Hell, because that's not even in the equation.

I hope I helped. If there are any questions or comments, feel free to post them. I'm 17 years old, so my intepretations may not be perfect, and I'd love to hear your take on things!

Hrugnir

Hrugnir

The Disciple

• Retired Staff
  • 5,278 posts
  • xfire:hrugnir
  • Interests:Gaming, Music, Theology, Mythology, Eschathology, Philosophy, Psychology.
  • Wii:1887372691017334
  • Gamer Army ID:165
QUOTE (063 Abra @ Jan 5 2011, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your viewpoint of Christian theology is a bit bleak. It is a simple thing to condemn Christianity based on its post mortum consequences, but in reality, those are not of much concern.

This is my interpretation of it, whether it is "correct" or not is up to the individual in the end:

There is a God, the Father, who has created everything around us. He created man out of benevolence, because he is love. This does not mean that he is loving or that he made love, it means that God is love. He is complete altruistic benevolence, but even that does not descibe what love is. He created man not to force him to choose, but to share His creation with him because He is love. This is the same reason that man has a child, it is not simply to procreate, it is to love. Now the question would be "If God is perfect, why does he require someone to love?" The answer is he doesn't and never has, he is love and wished to share it. That is all.

Adam and Eve made a decision contrary to God who, being the Father, wished only to protect his children. The Tree of Knowledge is often misinterpreted, the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge gave man the ability to decide what behaviors are right and wrong for himself instead of doing what his Father, who is knowledge, asked him to. God could have hung up his hat there and smitten Adam and Eve, but he didn't: he numbered their days and allowed them to further partake in his creations because he gave them free will. He never held a gun to man's head and forced him to do his will, he wanted children, not robots.

This is the concept of original sin, which is strictly man's sin. Sin is defined as anything that separates man from God. Eden was union with God, God "walked among" Adam and Eve, so they separated themselves through acting in non-accordance with God's request. As a result, they were separated. Jesus Christ, the second Adam in a sense, was born as both a man and an incarnation of God in order to die as a blood sacrifice to allieviate original sin and allow union with God once more, a task previously impossible under Judaism: one could get close to God, but never in union with him as he once could. Blood is a significant theme throughout scripture, and was entirely necessary to forgive man of original sin if they accept Jesus Christ.

Jesus talked of Hell as "Gehenna", which was a trash furnace outside of Jerusalem in which a fire continually burned to consume the bad crops, etc. If one does not bear fruit, meaning one does not pass the seed that God gave to Adam onto his children or others, one is cast into the fires of Gehenna to be consumed when judgement comes. If one bears fruit and believes Jesus Christ to be his savior, one may achieve unity with God in heaven. The idea is not scare tactics, the idea is that we wish to be purified of our original sin and achieve unity with the One who created us all. We wish to achieve unity with love Himself, it's not that we fear Hell, because that's not even in the equation.

I hope I helped. If there are any questions or comments, feel free to post them. I'm 17 years old, so my intepretations may not be perfect, and I'd love to hear your take on things!

Good to see you again, DA icon_smile.gif
And also good to see you come back home.

PS. Pure Pwnage isn't what I mean by home.

premiumseocompany

premiumseocompany
  • Members
  • 13 posts
For me, religion is very important to human. It will guide us in a better way. See what was happening now in this world, some people don't believe in GOD now what's happening to us? God give us a lesson to learn that God exist and He just waiting for us to Praise HIM.

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
QUOTE (premiumseocompany @ Feb 16 2011, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For me, religion is very important to human. It will guide us in a better way. See what was happening now in this world, some people don't believe in GOD now what's happening to us? God give us a lesson to learn that God exist and He just waiting for us to Praise HIM.

Bot as fuck.

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

FateLeete

FateLeete
  • Members
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:pwn n00bz !

love life love

MaxDamage

MaxDamage

IRC Awards 2006: Friendliest | i r beefcaek. ph33r me!

• GA Private
  • 3,669 posts
  • xfire:maxdamagus
  • Interests:Rockin', art, gaming, listening to good music, etc...
  • Wii:will rock you
  • Gamer Army ID:108

Praise Odin.

UUr16xn.png
I don't need tattoos to look hard. I AM hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users