Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Religion

• Please log in to reply
2248 replies to this topic

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Hrugnir @ Jul 20 2008, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Synagogue*

thanks, i can never spell that.

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

Pvt. Caboose(-1)

Pvt. Caboose(-1)
  • Members
  • 76 posts
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Jul 17 2008, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
then why post? I hate when people spout there idea's and don't back them up. It probably isn't even your idea, but something one of the people you aspire to become one day said and you want to go along with it because you find it cool to be "anti establishment".

I highly doubt you grew that much of a concious awareness of the world around you at the age of 8.

ok, so this is another "I'm atheist here my roar" posts.

I recommend to everyone who wants to post this that they read ANY page in this topic, as they all contain this exact message "god fucking suck, my parents and religious leaders did nothing to tell me the true appreciation i should have for the words that are in religious text, they just told me word for word what was happening and since I denounced god at 12 - 13 I really never paid attention to what they were TRYING to say"

had to be said, sry.

Just another militant, anti-establishment, uneducated Atheist giving the reast of us a bad name. Yes, we without gods have inbred, radical idiots too. I just hope they don't start organizing.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
QUOTE (Pvt. Caboose(-1) @ Jul 28 2008, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just another militant, anti-establishment, uneducated Atheist giving the reast of us a bad name. Yes, we without gods have inbred, radical idiots too. I just hope they don't start organizing.

what makes you think they haven't? Goth kids, Emo kids, they all fall under the category of "ignorant to there own beliefs"

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

Pvt. Caboose(-1)

Pvt. Caboose(-1)
  • Members
  • 76 posts
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Jul 28 2008, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what makes you think they haven't? Goth kids, Emo kids, they all fall under the category of "ignorant to there own beliefs"

When you subscribe other people to a sterotype, it only promotes ignorance. We're talking about religion and philosphy here, not a misguided concept of culture. Militants exist in every group, and so do people who take thier beliefs only for surface value, or take them way too seriously.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
QUOTE (Pvt. Caboose(-1) @ Jul 28 2008, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you subscribe other people to a sterotype, it only promotes ignorance. We're talking about religion and philosphy here, not a misguided concept of culture. Militants exist in every group, and so do people who take thier beliefs only for surface value, or take them way too seriously.

I can only speak from experience and from what I've seen that is my conclusion based on my observations, also known as an opinion. This whole thread is full of opinions that are based on people's perceptions, but when I see people projecting "opinions" that they have no basis for other than another person's opinion than that is when I tend to file people into a stereotype.

Like Most stereotypes, it doesn't apply to everyone and that is the same about culture and religion, but allowing stereotypes to affect an opinion is no necessarily a good thing, of which I'll admit to doing, but seeing a very good topic of discussion fall pray to the very stereotypes that I've labeled is very maddening.

If an Atheist were to come with a mind willing to accept others Ideas, than I'd appreciate the topic. (not necessarily an "open mind" because that would imply that you wouldn't have a strong opinion on the subject, which doesn't translate very will to a debate)

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

Creed 90

Creed 90
  • Banned
  • 918 posts
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Jul 29 2008, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can only speak from experience and from what I've seen that is my conclusion based on my observations, also known as an opinion. This whole thread is full of opinions that are based on people's perceptions, but when I see people projecting "opinions" that they have no basis for other than another person's opinion than that is when I tend to file people into a stereotype.

Like Most stereotypes, it doesn't apply to everyone and that is the same about culture and religion, but allowing stereotypes to affect an opinion is no necessarily a good thing, of which I'll admit to doing, but seeing a very good topic of discussion fall pray to the very stereotypes that I've labeled is very maddening.

If an Atheist were to come with a mind willing to accept others Ideas, than I'd appreciate the topic. (not necessarily an "open mind" because that would imply that you wouldn't have a strong opinion on the subject, which doesn't translate very will to a debate)

I always look forward to your debate posts...

My mind is willing to accept other ideas btw.

Pvt. Caboose(-1)

Pvt. Caboose(-1)
  • Members
  • 76 posts
Well, yes, willing to consider other's viewpoints is part of a debate. THe problem with most "debates" on the internet is thye have no moderator, no time limit, etc. Nothing a l debate actually has. ANd most people enter the thread already assuming they are right, no matter what anyone's else view is, whether that view is affirmed by subjective opinions and faith, or objective evidence gathered form peer reviewed sources.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
QUOTE (Pvt. Caboose(-1) @ Jul 29 2008, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, yes, willing to consider other's viewpoints is part of a debate. THe problem with most "debates" on the internet is thye have no moderator, no time limit, etc. Nothing a l debate actually has. ANd most people enter the thread already assuming they are right, no matter what anyone's else view is, whether that view is affirmed by subjective opinions and faith, or objective evidence gathered form peer reviewed sources.

Very True, which is why this Topic is cut and go all the time. Someone who has the "next big religious revelation" comes here posts the same three or for books, wiki articles, slanted religious propaganda and expects everyone to discuss how amazing it is, and come to find out other people have different points of view, they quickly rebuttal with more nonsense, until finally they stop posting.

I would really love it if I could get an honest opinion and more than one or two rebuttals per person. No links, just raw feeling.

Would you care to oblige?

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

Creed 90

Creed 90
  • Banned
  • 918 posts
My opinions are so harsh and ignorant it makes the baby jesus cut himself.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
QUOTE (Creed 90 @ Jul 29 2008, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My opinions are so harsh and ignorant it makes the baby jesus cut himself.

I doubt they are that harsh, and I'm sure they aren't That ignorant, so please share with the class icon_razz.gif

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

Creed 90

Creed 90
  • Banned
  • 918 posts
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Jul 30 2008, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I doubt they are that harsh, and I'm sure they aren't That ignorant, so please share with the class icon_razz.gif

OK, i'm just gunna keep editing this post. this will be the post i edit whenever i think of a way to put my many thoughts into words.

I think people who need a god figure to give purpose to their life are.. uhm, weak. People that need a god figure to FUNCTION, are.. weak. that was sort of the harsh, ignorant part, but thats how I view it.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
QUOTE (Creed 90 @ Jul 30 2008, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, i'm just gunna keep editing this post. this will be the post i edit whenever i think of a way to put my many thoughts into words.

I think people who need a god figure to give purpose to their life are.. uhm, weak. People that need a god figure to FUNCTION, are.. weak. that was sort of the harsh, ignorant part, but thats how I view it.

Why do you think that? You'd be surprised about how many people who already have there lives figured out believe in a god. God as a belief is just hope that the end isn't the end, but it also brings people together. A true believer doesn't need got to support them the whole way, they are there to support there god.

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

exterminator321

exterminator321
  • Members
  • 1,214 posts
  • xfire:exterminator321
Yeah, God helps those that help themselves.

Anyways I'm at a gray point with my beliefs. Like I believe in a God, even a Christian like God, but I've taken aspects from the Christian religion, the Buddhist religion, other theories and my own theories and beliefs to make my own thing. I believe in a God, it's kinda hard to think how this whole Universe and everything came to be without a divine being. I also believe in a lot of the Christian morals. I'm a big believer in Karma too. And there's other beliefs that I have and shit. Like I believe in alternate universes and stuff, and there's a bunch of other shit. But yeah that's just a tidbit on my beliefs, I don't think they're like anyone else's.

My beliefs also include lots of consumption of cannabis icon_biggrin.gif.
IPB Image

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
QUOTE (exterminator321 @ Aug 3 2008, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, God helps those that help themselves.

Anyways I'm at a gray point with my beliefs. Like I believe in a God, even a Christian like God, but I've taken aspects from the Christian religion, the Buddhist religion, other theories and my own theories and beliefs to make my own thing. I believe in a God, it's kinda hard to think how this whole Universe and everything came to be without a divine being. I also believe in a lot of the Christian morals. I'm a big believer in Karma too. And there's other beliefs that I have and shit. Like I believe in alternate universes and stuff, and there's a bunch of other shit. But yeah that's just a tidbit on my beliefs, I don't think they're like anyone else's.

My beliefs also include lots of consumption of cannabis icon_biggrin.gif.

Unitarian Universalism is the place for you. Your not alone man, there is a whole church that you just described... minus the cannabis icon_razz.gif

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

markie_c

markie_c
  • Members
  • 170 posts
Dohregard (or anyone else reading this) Iíve gotta ask you a question cos you seem to know lots about... well everything. Its not so much about religion but its about how we all started. I've often been thinking that the whole universe we live in is actually nothing more then an atom inside a much larger being. I know about strings, i also know its nothing more then a theory, or even if its true our universe could simply be the string itself.

Atoms themselves are like 90% nothing, just like our universe, if you count dark matter as nothing. Also after watching war of the worlds and that new Simpsons opening i can see that the structure of the universe and atoms are really similar. Furthermore it just feels like it would be right, its almost as if the largest thing to us is the smallest to another, and it will add to the fact about how insignificant we really are. Also it would support the theory of parallel universes, as in they are other atoms. Overall our universe may resemble one overwhelming material, for instance hydrogen or whatever. So our universe would be a hydrogen atom in the much larger being, whilst a parallel universe could be oxygen, etc. Its not just that we are inside a much larger being though, it would also mean each atom inside of us is also a universe.

I'd go into more about it, but i dont want to write some long story.

I didnt really know where else to put this message and didnt want to create another thread, so i put it here. I am just wondering if anyone could give me any information on it.

Thanks

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
QUOTE (markie_c @ Aug 14 2008, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dohregard (or anyone else reading this) I’ve gotta ask you a question cos you seem to know lots about... well everything.

Knowing nothing is the key to understanding everything

Its not so much about religion but its about how we all started.

which is part of religion, so I can see the relevance

I've often been thinking that the whole universe we live in is actually nothing more then an atom inside a much larger being. I know about strings, i also know its nothing more then a theory, or even if its true our universe could simply be the string itself.

Welcome to Pantheism. We are all god, and god is all of us.

Atoms themselves are like 90% nothing, just like our universe, if you count dark matter as nothing. Also after watching war of the worlds and that new Simpsons opening i can see that the structure of the universe and atoms are really similar.

don't take fictional depictions of the universe as anything that should be believed, that is what fucked over many religions. They mixed Historical Facts and telling with folk-lore and they came up with a book that tells amazing stories of morality, and people take it as the truth.

Anyways, What you should do is look into Quantum Physics. It is really interesting and has a lot to do with the smallest building blocks of the universe and how they effect the largest objects. It also has a lot of theories about Dimensions and the like.

Furthermore it just feels like it would be right, its almost as if the largest thing to us is the smallest to another, and it will add to the fact about how insignificant we really are.

Insignificant? Not at all, the fact that humans are alive gives the universe meaning, with out a body of logic (a brain if you will) the Universe wouldn't be so awe-inspiring, because there wouldn't be anything to sense what it is, it would just be. No symbols would have been spoken to describe its beauty, no instruments would be developed to investigate beyond our galaxy, but then again we wouldn't have a galaxy if we didn't exist, because ownership could only be defined if there was something that had that concept.

So we are small, but not insignificant.

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

markie_c

markie_c
  • Members
  • 170 posts
Knowing nothing is the key to understanding everything

Yea thats what i've been learning ever since reading up on quantom physics, space, and philosophy. "Intellegence" is arrogance, and makes people feel they know more, but wisdom is the acceptance of knowing nothing, but in turn will lead you to know more.

Welcome to Pantheism. We are all god, and god is all of us.

Yea i read up on wikipedia about it and its basically perfect for what i believe. My atom/ universe theory makes me feel that i am fact a god myself, since i have created universes, which are in fact atoms for me. Yet as myself i am infact a created person inside a much bigger picture. It also creates an endless and infinite loop in time and space. Pantheism isnt so much of a religion, but an idea and a very good one at that.

I know wikipedia isnt the best site to go into detail, so could you suggest anything more, or is there not more then the basic principle, we are all one, we are all god, and everything that has, is, or will exist is god.

don't take fictional depictions of the universe as anything that should be believed, that is what fucked over many religions. They mixed Historical Facts and telling with folk-lore and they came up with a book that tells amazing stories of morality, and people take it as the truth.

Yea well at the end of the day thats the simple reason why every religion is or have been at war. The ideas of religion were a basic list and stories of how to act in life, such as the ten commandments, thou shalt not steal, kill, have an affair, lie, etc, but then theres that one commandment, and many more references throughout the bible and over religious texts that state if you arent one of us your evil. I reckon religion would be much more popular, and loved if it werent for those statements.

Its basically saying if there was a street of people and in each one the parents taught their children morals through the use of stories, one used rabbits, another guinea pigs, another cats, another dogs. They would all preach the same morals to their children, but somewhere in there they would say if anyone uses those other animals to say these morals they are evil.

Anyways, What you should do is look into Quantum Physics. It is really interesting and has a lot to do with the smallest building blocks of the universe and how they effect the largest objects. It also has a lot of theories about Dimensions and the like.

Yea i've looked up the eleventh dimension, string theory, m theory and many more subjects, and at the end of the day it gives me the same view on science, life and everything. To understand the big picture you must look at the small details, and within yourself. And to understand the small picture you must look at the big picture. Which is what i think you meant by

So we are small, but not insignificant.

Everyone fits into the puzzle, we are all little pieces, and without the big puzzle we wouldnt exist, but without one piece it would be incomplete and it wouldnt be one.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
QUOTE (markie_c @ Aug 14 2008, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know wikipedia isnt the best site to go into detail, so could you suggest anything more, or is there not more then the basic principle, we are all one, we are all god, and everything that has, is, or will exist is god.

I like Wikipedia, it is good at giving you an idea of the general theme of something (in terms of none fact based articles), usually the more you think about your religion the more it becomes your own. You'll find that if you read someone else s opinion, you'll just become a disciple of that person, if that makes since. I recommend looking at other religions and finding out the good thing they have to teach. You'll Find Buddhism to be especially interesting, though My favorite Morals came from Judaism, But being well rounded in the worlds religions is something that I've always tried to be, but I know that I am no were near that goal.

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

Creed 90

Creed 90
  • Banned
  • 918 posts
I miss this thread icon_sad.gif

Why does God create homosexuals if their fate is just to be ridiculed their entire life and then spend an eternity in Hell?

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
QUOTE (Creed 90 @ Sep 16 2008, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I miss this thread icon_sad.gif

Why does God create homosexuals if their fate is just to be ridiculed their entire life and then spend an eternity in Hell?

The argument is that they are not born gay, but have chosen to be out of a fad of sorts. Its a phenomenon that I can see happening, but at the same time I've seen a lot of people who look and act totally homosexual and have been that way there whole.

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users