Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I love old people

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

tIb

tIb
  • Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • xfire:alistairw
I while back I posted about collecting National Geographic magazines and how I enjoy it. Well some guy who I don't even know just gave me around 40 years of magazines. 1963-2003; that's quite a hefty collection, almost 500 magazines. Now I had never met this guy, but he's getting old, and they need the space apparently, and he was reluctant to give them to someone who was going to cut them up, but wanted them to be put to use. Apparently no libraries or schools had the space to deal with so many except for the art department at one school who were going to cut them up.

So the man and I agreed that he would give me his collection (for free, he refused to accept payment) and I would give all the duplicates it made in my collection to the school and I kept the rest. So basically I gave 200 issues to a school art department, and he gave me his whole collection for free.

Anyone else experienced awesome acts of generosity from strangers? Or perhaps committed acts of generosity yourself to strangers?
fuck off nosy

confrico

confrico
  • Members
  • 6,783 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
i just donated $25 to some california police organization

but now i've got a sticker to place on my car window so that the cops hopefully won't pull me over as much. still, it's all about the children

evol262

evol262

MotM Dec 2005 teh_burninator / Keeping n00bs at bay

• GA Private
  • 5,804 posts
  • xfire:evol262
  • Gamer Army ID:548
I love that, confrico~ I lol'd.
CODE
while(!asleep()) {
                    sheep++;
}

Kaos Pwnage

Kaos Pwnage
  • Banned
  • 2,252 posts
  • xfire:dontbah8er
  • Interests:Games, PCs, swords, guns and Black Metal.
Well a member of this forums who i didnt no (Nevermore) gave me a pure pwnage shirt which didnt fit him. THat was a gr8 act of genorosity. Much appreciated.
I cant rly think of times when i was overly genoros. Except on games that is where ive given a whole lot to strangers on mmo's lolol.
Dylan Klebold - "I know we're gonna have followers because we're so fucking God-like. We're not exactly human -- we have human bodies but we've evolved into one step above you, fucking human shit. We actually have fucking self-awareness."

teng

teng
  • Members
  • 383 posts
Not as insane or intense as the old man that donated his entire collection to a stranger.

My older bro help pay off my stamp duty and abit of the car loan.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Luuksk gave me a PP logo shirt at the UK meeting <3 icon_biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
QUOTE (evol262 @ Nov 13 2006, 03:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love that, confrico~ I lol'd.

my mother does that too, as did I when i still drove. its a GREAT idea. when youre pulled over and the cops see that youre a donator, they go easier on you

evol262

evol262

MotM Dec 2005 teh_burninator / Keeping n00bs at bay

• GA Private
  • 5,804 posts
  • xfire:evol262
  • Gamer Army ID:548
Yeah, I know. I just loved the "still, it's all about the children" part.
CODE
while(!asleep()) {
                    sheep++;
}

Silverslug

Silverslug

Best Console Contributor 2006

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
  • xfire:fruitsofherwomb
  • Xbox / GFWL:fruitsofherwomb
  • Gamer Army ID:118
I believe in giving and if someone is in need of something I'm not using I usually give it to them. A month a go I gave a sent a PS Memcard to someone off a forum. He said his Ebgames didn't carry them any more. I have given away video game systems (Sometimes I pick up double systems when i see them cheap)

tIb

tIb
  • Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • xfire:alistairw
I'm pretty generous with my friends but I think it generally stops there. Sometimes I think people give people stuff without really caring. Or maybe they give stuff because they want to be known as a good person, or they want a free ticket into heaven or something, and maybe it makes up for their vices. I might be just cynical but sometimes I think people are generous without any love. Holy Thursday by William Blake sums it up pretty well. Sorry for poem but I've got a lit exam tomorrow and the poem sprung to my mind as a good example.

edit: That's not to say I wouldn't appreciate their generosity.
fuck off nosy

Kiron

Kiron
  • Members
  • 2,442 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Gaming, Wii, filmmaking.
  • Wii:6447428556230302
I remember in sydney, I had just won like 10 plushies from the machine, and there were these little kids watching me.... so I gave them to the kids.

Skanky Yoda

Skanky Yoda

Best Nickname

• GA Private
  • 640 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:915
QUOTE (Kiron @ Nov 13 2006, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember in sydney, I had just won like 10 plushies from the machine, and there were these little kids watching me.... so I gave them to the kids.

That was real nice of you, they probably will never forget that. i went to an airplane museum and the old guy there gave me one of his fav WW2 models...I was hell happy.
skanky
SBAG Survivor

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
QUOTE (Kaos Pwnage @ Nov 13 2006, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well a member of this forums who i didnt no (Nevermore) gave me a pure pwnage shirt which didnt fit him. THat was a gr8 act of genorosity. Much appreciated.
I cant rly think of times when i was overly genoros. Except on games that is where ive given a whole lot to strangers on mmo's lolol.

I bet it didnt fit you either man it was way to big for my liking

Ill be buying another one in the right size or something else soon.. got anything you want from the store? let me know on MSN sometime

*SaPpHiRe*

*SaPpHiRe*

teh_momerer

• GA Private
  • 2,337 posts
  • xfire:sapphiretehninja
  • Interests:Twitter: @VeronickArt
  • Gamer Army ID:1532
I'm writing a series of children's books in French and once I get them published I'm gonna give the primary schools here free copies ^_^ I can't wait to see what it'll look like in print.

and I wanna thank Denw0 for giving me his UberMicro hoodie when he came down here <3 It's my favorite sweater

Viva_La_B.A.D.

Viva_La_B.A.D.
  • Members
  • 1,277 posts
I love National Geographic! I watch the channel all the time icon_razz.gif

amorpheous

amorpheous

The old-timer that just can't stay away.

• Retired Staff
  • 2,466 posts
  • xfire:amorpheous
  • Gamer Army ID:18
QUOTE (tIb @ Nov 13 2006, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I while back I posted about collecting National Geographic magazines and how I enjoy it. Well some guy who I don't even know just gave me around 40 years of magazines. 1963-2003; that's quite a hefty collection, almost 500 magazines. Now I had never met this guy, but he's getting old, and they need the space apparently, and he was reluctant to give them to someone who was going to cut them up, but wanted them to be put to use. Apparently no libraries or schools had the space to deal with so many except for the art department at one school who were going to cut them up.

So the man and I agreed that he would give me his collection (for free, he refused to accept payment) and I would give all the duplicates it made in my collection to the school and I kept the rest. So basically I gave 200 issues to a school art department, and he gave me his whole collection for free.

Anyone else experienced awesome acts of generosity from strangers? Or perhaps committed acts of generosity yourself to strangers?

My uncle became a coin collector from meeting an old man in the street one day many years ago (like, a few decades). The old man gave him a small box with some very old coins in it. My uncle made a career out of it (collecting them, cataloguing them, researching their history and allsorts of other stuff) and sold his entire collection a few years ago for quite a large sum of money. He now acts as a negotiator for other people that trade old/rare coins. You'd be surprised how many very important and high up people you can meet in that kind of business! D: I think it's very cool even though I find coins boring, myself.
(Fasc was here)
n00bschool Lesson #1 || n00bschool Lesson #2
Posting and you. || FAQ
QUOTE (EEDOK @ Apr 20 2007, 06:06 PM)
Also you are not your user id or your join date, you are not your post count, you are not your internet connection or your pc. Now start acting like it.

<+masslac> lol you fucking batshit insane bastard
< Femme> YOu know what I loved in avp?
< Femme> The fucking flying vagina alien thigns

cooked_chicken

cooked_chicken
  • Banned
  • 510 posts
i gave someone 500K worth of stuff in an mmo. for no reason at all. im just like hey im bored want some stuff? yeah sure. here ya go. SWEET! yea digital stuff still counts.

no one really gave me anything overly generous like.

Dude,wait what? All i heard was something about a light bulb in asshole with donkey shit all over it..--iceman-

piggyspizza

piggyspizza
  • Members
  • 3,170 posts
  • xfire:piggyspizza
  • Interests:Guitar<br />Gaming<br />Computers<br />Friends
  • Xbox / GFWL:Shwanzig
  • Wii:7168706976063002
Someone stoled a local churches xbox, so I gave them my N64, and a bunch of games, I was like ooo mario kart, phh got you for my ds.
Crysis isn't a game, it's a benchmark.

BlightedArt

BlightedArt

Busting your balls since 1987. | Best Art Contributor

• GA Private
  • 7,092 posts
  • Interests:Cartoons, animation, video games, design, indie / acoustic alternative / rock music, japanese culture, mythology, playing drums and ocarina.
  • Gamer Army ID:2866
I bought a $60 WoW figure and gave it to my brother to finish his set. Just because.

Other than that I'm a tight-arse.

My mum (works at the bank) told me that when they were accepting donations to go towards the Tsunami victims (icon_sad.gif), one person donated $1,000. icon_surprised.gif

I thought that was amazing, he was also elderly actually.
"Wish you were here."
- The Devil, on his tour of Georgia, U.S.

Shadowstar

Shadowstar
  • GA Private
  • 5,853 posts
  • Interests:My companion cube and cake
  • Xbox / GFWL:AznInvasion22
  • Gamer Army ID:297
Well I did start my stamp collection when I got some from a old person. From that day I became interested in stamps and have collected them since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users