Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

i did some research

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
QUOTE (HikariKage @ Nov 8 2006, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
/offtopic

Gamecube owners, thats who pp_smiley11.gif

Seriously, I can drag my GC around the floor by the controller chord or accidently step on it and it still runs. The things got padding...

Yeah, I've had my Cube yanked to the floor while running countless times, and it still runs like new.

Oh, and the Gulf War Gameboy.

IPB Image

omfgnoobkillhim

omfgnoobkillhim
  • Members
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:spraying, killing, dancing
QUOTE (Silint Ninjya @ Nov 8 2006, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that is EXACTLY what im saying. its not possible to lag if there is no internet connection. the defination of lag is internet latency. its the amount of time it takes for information to go from client, to host, and back to client. if there is not online, there is no lag. it isnt logically possible.

maybe you just consider it solely based on the internet because your still on phoneline or console it up all day anyway

okay tell me, you got a graphics card that can barely handle a game, what does it do? even when your not online that exact same action occurs

oh just because it's not on internet it's not considered lag? that's just where most of it occurs
so you're saying all those people that said a game like fear lagged with their graphics card are wrong?
if so then what did happen?

also your definition's false and if you think lag can only happen on the internet you're wrong
i'm in the autoshop all the time we even use that there

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*
  • Guests
o wow, you work in a car store. you guys sure know a LOT about pcs.

lag is PUERLY internet related. low fps =/= lag. lag is packet loss and/or high pings. if you disagree, then get out of the topic cause it will cause flaming.

"so you're saying all those people that said a game like fear lagged with their graphics card are wrong?"

THATS EXACTLY WHAT IM SAYING

ignorance does not change the definition of a word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag

Within computing, Lag refers to the time taken for a packet of data from the sending application to the receiving application. This includes both transit time over the network, and computer processing time at both the source and destination computers.

Whilst in the strictest sense every packet experiences lag, the term lag is implied to refer to noticeable delays to the user caused as a result of extended or unexpected delay. As the time taken for a packet to travel from a server in Europe to a client nearby in the same region is likely to differ from a trip from Europe to the Americas or Asia, it is possible that two users may experience connections to the same server with a different extent of network lag.

now later on it states...

nadequate computer processing power

can CAUSE lag....but it is NOT LAG.

omfgnoobkillhim

omfgnoobkillhim
  • Members
  • 47 posts
you're trying to set the most correct definition for lag, yet you ignore it if it isn't internet related..right

and you use wiki as reference? even if it accounted for anything all that's quoted is lag could occur over network so I don't see what you're trying to pull

and your source is actually saying what i'm trying to tell you
wtf?

also I don't work in a car store, yeah and all of them are dumbassas and not gamers..great stereotype console boy.

and even if i did you listen to justin rober

end of thread

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*
  • Guests
you just dont get it do you.....if it isnt internet related, then it isnt lag at all. pz, gg, kthxbai.

TCG Hamlet

TCG Hamlet
  • GA Private
  • 105 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:1117
Xbox 360 pwns the 360 anyday lol.

Schrei

Schrei
  • Members
  • 1,344 posts
  • xfire:00schrei00
QUOTE (flexitav @ Nov 9 2006, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tahts hardcore

JJC

JJC
  • Members
  • 770 posts
  • Interests:Gaming... duh
Lag is packet loss/the time it takes the data to be sent from host to client and back again. IE PING. FPS stands for FRAMES PER SECOND (NOT First Person Shooter in this case) and is what you lose when your graphics card cannot handle a game or if the games graphics are not optimised etc.

They are two different things caused by different things. One, LAG is only occurs during internet use or networking. Low FPS can happen whenever there is an inadiquate machine running lots of strenuous effects.

For example:

If in CS someone throws a smoke grenade and when you walk through it everything gets choppy and slowed down. This is not lag. Because whenever you shoot. The bullet takes the same amount of time to hit its designation as usual, only it's harder to aim due to choppiness.

On the other hand, if you are running around a corner where you know someone is and just as you get there your ping SPIKES (goes very high suddenly) you will have a brief (or not so brief) pause in gameplay then you and your opponent will WARP because in that time that your connection LAGGED your computer couldn't send the information to the host computer and visa versa meaning you are in a sort of LIMBO and as a result the game PAUSES in a way. Once the conection is stable again your computer wil place you, and everything around you at the designated places that the HOST detirmines you are at. Things like gunshots at high latence or LAG will take longer to APPEAR from the moment you press the shoot button.

Hope that made sense and shuts up those who don't understand it. It was in lamens terms so hopefully any noob can understand it.

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
QUOTE (flexitav @ Nov 9 2006, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is some zen shit.
IPB Image

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (flexitav @ Nov 9 2006, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<D: <D: <D:

omfgnoobkillhim

omfgnoobkillhim
  • Members
  • 47 posts
QUOTE (JJC @ Nov 9 2006, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are two different things caused by different things. One, LAG is only occurs during internet use or networking. Low FPS can happen whenever there is an inadiquate machine running lots of strenuous effects.

get your head out of your ass and go learn some things in rl

you're trying to get all specific yet lag is a fucking documented verb, check your dictionary

how would it differ because of it's origin

it's the same action applied

so because a white man is caught looting it's not on the news expressed that way because he's not black?

give me a break

and to make it even worse you doubt it could never happen if it's not internet related

aside from where it's from

what does it change? the action

in this case what happened on the 360 or fear was the exact same shit like what may happen on cs source when your pings too high

how the hell does frags have anything to do with it? because you can't see you it temporarily freezes the game

there's no delay in getting to the next destination unless you bring it upon yourself to dance instead of going straight forward

so what do you think people say when there not online and their game's lagging cause of their graphics card can't handle it? omfg choppy choppy choppy

get it through your head, lag is used all over the world to describe what is happening to something

and if it wasn't lag then wtf did the 360 i was playing on do? i couldn't fire my bullet at hat instant because it froze though it just can't be considered that way being i wasn't on the internet?

the bullet wouldn't get there at the time it was so according to your logic you're admitting that's lag

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (omfgnoobkillhim @ Nov 9 2006, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
get your head out of your ass and go learn some things in rl

you're trying to get all specific yet lag is a fucking documented verb, check your dictionary

how would it differ because of it's origin

it's the same action applied

so because a white man is caught looting it's not on the news expressed that way because he's not black?

give me a break

and to make it even worse you doubt it could never happen if it's not internet related

aside from where it's from

what does it change? the action

in this case what happened on the 360 or fear was the exact same shit like what may happen on cs source when your pings too high

how the hell does frags have anything to do with it? because you can't see you it temporarily freezes the game

there's no delay in getting to the next destination unless you bring it upon yourself to dance instead of going straight forward

so what do you think people say when there not online and their game's lagging cause of their graphics card can't handle it? omfg choppy choppy choppy

get it through your head, lag is used all over the world to describe what is happening to something

and if it wasn't lag then wtf did the 360 i was playing on do? i couldn't fire my bullet at hat instant because it froze though it just can't be considered that way being i wasn't on the internet?

the bullet wouldn't get there at the time it was so according to your logic you're admitting that's lag

you are so fucking dense... JJC gave a PERFECT definition of the difference between lag and low FPS... I will summarize the important part since you're obviously to thick headed to wrap you're mind around anything more than 2 sentences in length...

Lag is where you're client isn't communicating well with the host client, like when you're running in CS and everybody else is jumping around and whenever you shoot, nothing happens because the host isn't registering them. Low FPS or choppyness is when you're computer cannot handle the computations required on your end, however if you did shoot, the host client would still register the shots you made at the time you made them.

I do believe Silint that said something along the lines of, just because everybody uses it wrong doesn't make it right. People might call choppyness lag, but it isn't. This is mostly due to the fact that when it happens they look very similar if you don't pay close attention. Lag is INTERNET LATENCY PERIOD!!!!
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*
  • Guests
*sigh*

ya, i was the one that said that lazy. maybe he will finally listen now =\

....doubt it.

omfgnoobkillhim

omfgnoobkillhim
  • Members
  • 47 posts
I will summarize the important part since you're obviously to thick headed to wrap you're mind around anything more than 2 sentences in length...

yet you've done that to anything not internet related not knowing the term of something you speak of
hmmmm....

Lag is where you're client isn't communicating well with the host client

are u saying that doesn't happen doesn't in welding? calculations? transfer of heat? thank you

like when you're running in CS and everybody else is jumping around and whenever you shoot, nothing happens because the host isn't registering them.

you can shoot properly when you're lagging?

and that's exactly what happens when you can't achieve a neutral flame because the oxygen can't reach the end of the cutting torch

and that's exactly what happens on a 360 when you're trying to press right trigger to shoot but the client on the other end inside the overheated xbox

if you don't believe me why don't you fucking system link it and see if that happens with your friend

should i say more than get your head out of your ass and learn some things in rl

gtfo

especially when you defend something as this so dearly..

Schrei

Schrei
  • Members
  • 1,344 posts
  • xfire:00schrei00
tbqh, lag = slow

'Hey steve! get your fuckin shit together and stop laggin behind or im gona can your ass!'

but ya, i suppose litterally it stands as internet ping/latency.. but like, a computer that has shitty FPS deserves a "YOU FUCKIN LAGGY PIECE OF SHIT" /smash

you all can get your panties in a bunch about it tho, but to me.. seeing people argue about the deffinition of lag is like the same as people arguing about the deffinition of micro,

"OMFG its RTS ONLY!! You cant micro in FPS!!@#!! IT MEANS MICRO MANAGEMENT!! RTS ONLY!!!" /head explodes

seriously, ur all acting like little babys about this and your really missing the actual point of discussion....

omfgnoobkillhim

omfgnoobkillhim
  • Members
  • 47 posts
good point

but i don't think this is all for the sake of whatever,but these bill gate nuthuggers must've took it personally what i said about the xbox and just wanna attack me at whatever chance they get

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*
  • Guests
for someone so bent on the by the book definition, you dont seem to realize that the same word can mean 2 different things when used in 2 different contexts. lag when refering to a video game is internet latency. sure, it can mean something else....but not in a video game it cant unless your talking about someones actions lagging behind yours cause they suck at the game, but no one even uses that way, you just call them bad.

we didnt get pissed off. we are trying to help you understand what a word means and your refusing to accept it. its your own dang fault if you make yourself look worse. we just trying to help.

and the RTS definition of micro cant be used in fps actually. micro can be used in a different way, but not with the same definition.

omfgnoobkillhim

omfgnoobkillhim
  • Members
  • 47 posts
for someone so bent on the by the book definition, you dont seem to realize that the same word can mean 2 different things when used in 2 different contexts

so then why did you question me when i brought up the part about 360 lagging?

it was because your nuthuggery did not let you believe such a thing could happen and matter of fact you were the one to start getting all into the def of lag to try and prove it so

we didnt get pissed off. we are trying to help you understand what a word means and your refusing to accept it. its your own dang fault if you make yourself look worse. we just trying to help.
yet I first brought it up in a video game..

haha why would i believe that when just before you wrote that you finally bring up an excuse that it could have 2 meanings after you doubted it being used anywhere but the internet

and whatever happened to the kthxbai?

gg gtfo

evol262

evol262

MotM Dec 2005 teh_burninator / Keeping n00bs at bay

• GA Private
  • 5,804 posts
  • xfire:evol262
  • Gamer Army ID:548
QUOTE (omfgnoobkillhim @ Nov 9 2006, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yet you've done that to anything not internet related not knowing the term of something you speak of
hmmmm....
are u saying that doesn't happen doesn't in welding? calculations? transfer of heat? thank you
you can shoot properly when you're lagging?

and that's exactly what happens when you can't achieve a neutral flame because the oxygen can't reach the end of the cutting torch

and that's exactly what happens on a 360 when you're trying to press right trigger to shoot but the client on the other end inside the overheated xbox

if you don't believe me why don't you fucking system link it and see if that happens with your friend

should i say more than get your head out of your ass and learn some things in rl

gtfo

especially when you defend something as this so dearly..

The scratched discs can happen to any player.

System Link still uses TCP/IP. There's some latency, and it will be present in any other console, or even on the damn phone (call your home phone from your cell and wait to see how long it takes). In any case, console games are designed around very specific hardware. "Lag," per se, is almost unheard of. Shadow of the Colossus and Halo 2 both had fill-rate and FPS problems. Is that lag? No. Have I seen the 360 "lag" ever? No.
CODE
while(!asleep()) {
                    sheep++;
}

inst1nct

inst1nct
  • Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Andrew Rosati
Heres some research
Xbox-360 sales: 6,000,000+
PS3 sales:0